Menu

It happened to me...

JessReplanted

Aw, nice husband there! :)

Well, my oldest is 12 and I have. So my answer would be an honest Yes, I have discovered something I can't teach. My ds is about 3 years ahead in math. That's not my strong area. We've had a tutor for going on 2 years. And I think I'm pretty smart. I just know my limitations. And I stink at Spanish, too.

By your reaction, the person who said that must have been snarky.

I had a teacher ask me how I plan on teaching high school level math and science. I told her if my college level math and science as a science major was not enough for me to be able to handle high school math and science then that's not saying much for my college education. She said, "Well, I took advanced math in college and there's no way I could teach high school math." I looked at her for a moment and asked her why not. Her answer? "Well, just because. I mean I wasn't trained in how to teach it." Oh, ok.

Love your DH's response! Good man. :)

My answer to that would depend on how it was asked.

If I felt the person was honestly wondering how one addresses that issue, I'd be honest and say that I haven't encountered that yet, but I anticipate that I will with high school math, chemistry, and physics (not my strong suits). My plan is to either take some classes in those subjects ahead of time so that I'm prepared (I had those subjects in high school - but I struggled with them at the time), or to outsource.

If I felt they were being snarky, I'd just say "No." ;)

I had a teacher ask me how I plan on teaching high school level math and science. I told her if my college level math and science as a science major was not enough for me to be able to handle high school math and science then that's not saying much for my college education. She said, "Well, I took advanced math in college and there's no way I could teach high school math." I looked at her for a moment and asked her why not. Her answer? "Well, just because. I mean I wasn't trained in how to teach it." Oh, ok.

Good grief. Did someone 'train' her how to teach her kid to tie his shoes?

This thread reminds me of the third grade teacher I encountered at ds's swim who told me she didn't bother teaching about place value and 'borrowing and carrying' and all that because it was so complicated. I can't remember how she put it exactly but it was pathetic....she admitted that she didn't teach any of the 'why' only the 'how'. I remember my mouth was hanging open. I couldn't believe it. I knew for sure then that I was as capable as public school. (and yes I know not all teachers are that dumb)

I took advanced math in college and I have no problem admitting that I am struggling to teach pre-algebra and will probably outsource math after this year. Yes, I learned the material over 20 years ago. That does not mean I have any interest or the time to re-learn it now or assure myself that I am not going to teach some concept incorrectly.

I took advanced math in college and I have no problem admitting that I am struggling to teach pre-algebra and will probably outsource math after this year. Yes, I learned the material over 20 years ago. That does not mean I have any interest or the time to re-learn it now or assure myself that I am not going to teach some concept incorrectly.

My ds is almost 13, a 7th grader doing 8th grade math. K12 made me lazy with the math....I kept up until last year when it just got to be more work for me than it was worth...ds does fine without my help, but I would outsource it if I needed to.

The thing that irks me is that people think there is some magic to teaching something....you do not have to be an expert in any subject to teach it.

I have found that I can teach Latin and Koine Greek but I cannot teach Spanish. I took three years of German in high school and can read some, but I can't teach that, either.

I can teach math for preschool through Algebra 1, I can facilitate through Geometry and Algebra 2 for a student learning from a DVD program and a book, my husband can do the same for Trig, but we will be outsourcing Calculus.

I easily taught my average/above average learners in reading and early math, but I do not have the slightest idea how to teach to various learning disabilities. I'm in awe of the moms here who have learned those skills in order to help their own children.

The point is not, "What can you teach?" The real question is, "How can you tell if you are able to teach a particular subject and whether your child is sufficiently learning?" Next question is, "What if you can't and he's not? What are the options other than putting him in public school?"

If I thought the only way my son could learn calculus as a homeschooler was by being directly taught by me, I might think I couldn't homeschool.

So, to me, this "can you teach" question might be rude, if the person really seems to be implying that you're too dumb to teach something you mastered 20 years ago (like elementary math). On the other hand, it might be a very good question deserving of a real answer. Depends on the questioner and his motivation.

Agreed, it depends on the attitude of the questioner. Here's what I've learned: there are a great many things that, if I have the desire to know them, I can study and learn alongside my child, and we'll be just fine. There is nothing wrong with that approach, in fact, I'm a big proponent of it, since all human beings need to be lifelong learners. I'm hoping that my modeling will remove any fear my children mght have of tackling something they need to learn.

I'd say that is even true for foreign languages at their beginning levels. I wouldn't have said that several years ago.

Seriously, almost everything one has in highschool is the most basic level of that subject. If a parent has the ability and the desire, why shouldn't they teach it?

OTOH, on deeper levels, I want someone who is passionate about a subject to teach my students. All the more reason for me to be an educational advocate and seek the best teachers for my students. That kind of choice will not happen in a public school.

I remember a funny exchange when I first started to hs. Someone asked where my dds went to school and I said I hs them. Her response was that she couldn't do that because her dd was too smart. My response, without thinking, was that if her dd was too smart for her at 6 yr. old then she really shouldn't try to hs her. Not the response she thought she'd get-but, geesh, too smart at 6!?!?! :laugh:

That is an awesome answer! When MIL asked if could really teach Ds through high school, Dh replied with, "well, she did graduate high school you know, so I guess she learned the material." Yes, and I am certified to teach k-8 and high school English. I think some people are just so overwhelmed at the thought of having to teach high school themselves that they assume others can't or won't make the effort to do it.

Given enough time, I'm fairly certain that I can teach almost anything my high schoolers want to learn, but time is the problem. I finally cried 'uncle' and outsourced Latin this year b/c I just could not keep up with Ds.

I also have to say there is something to the idea that some people might know a subject well, yet not be so good at teaching it. Dh falls into that category. He's the math expert, but Dc get pretty nervous if I tell them dad is teaching math. He's done it before, but he just gets it so easily that he can't imagine why Dc might not understand and he doesn't come up with the same kind of reteaching or explanations I use (b/c I'm NOT a math person and I have mastered all the mistakes that can be made and know how to watch out for them in Dc).

I think the thought process behind the question is somewhat flawed and a reflection of not understanding the difference between knowing a bunch of facts or statistics and actually learning. I'm not sure if I can articulate what I mean exactly but one of the reasons wtm methods and other classical education books attracted my attention was the idea that I should teach my dd how to read, how to learn, how to think logically and process information. If you know how to learn you can then learn anything. I don't necessarily think math is an exception to that rule.

I see my role as more of a facilitator than a teacher. Of course, I don't have to worry about dd passing a public school test to prove that she's learning so I'm not focused on making sure she can do the "how" mentioned in the earlier post without her understanding the "why".

I have had people ask that question occasionally and people tell me they can't homeschool because they weren't good at x,y or z subject. My standard answer has been there are lots of outsourcing options if it ever came to that but I'm assuming I ought to be able to handle the near future since she's only 7 and I managed to graduate from elementary school and even high school. Surely it will be a while before she passes up my knowledge level.

Or, as they say in Bawstin, "Wicket smaht."

I don't know where to put this little event in my life, but I was talking to someone the other day about my big life change (moving), and these two phrases were uttered, "Your trajectory is crescent', and, "It won't be the end of the Republic."

My thoughts:

1. Why have I never thought to say anything like that before?

2. Was it pretentious, or am I just dumb?

3. Why did I want to laugh?

Sounds like the "trend-speak" that teens here use sometimes, although I've never heard those particular phrases. Whatever.

Please don't flame me if this sounds overly simplistic

(on re-reading it I realize it does sound of simplistic--and I am only

talking about teens).

But...you don't have to *teach* everything.

You can just buy/borrow books and textbooks (also audiobooks), have the teen read/listen to

them, have

teen answer all the questions in the book, check the answer

key, and anything that is wrong you go over in the book again

until you get it. If it's a particularly hard bit, like in Math or Science,

you (1) find another book that explains it better;

(2) go to Khan Academy or (3) get a college student tutor for at least some time.

Or have DC take an online class.

That's what we did with Algebra I minus the college student. And I am very good at Algebra I

so I could have taught it, but DC was doing it already.

I guess you have to evaluate and correct essays

and research papers in English and History. But there are great textbooks for these

subjects and you could give feedback.

For foreign language, there are good packets with everything you need.

I believe in letting curricula and online schools or the teen doing most of the work.

But I--again--realize this sounds too simple. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? We

haven't taken standardized tests yet so maybe I will fall on my face with my method.

I found that once my child hit high school, I was happier to pay to outsource the subjects I didn't care for. Yes, I could relearn high school chemistry and teach it, but I flat out didn't want to. I figured she deserved a teacher who actually liked chemistry.

I liked most of the other subjects well enough, so it wasn't an issue. I don't think that people who don't homeschool understand that you've been going through every level with your child all along, so doing the next thing isn't a big, scary deal. Maybe it would be if we hadn't cracked a textbook since college, but when you're in constant learning mode anyway it's not so daunting.

The thing that irks me is that people think there is some magic to teaching something....you do not have to be an expert in any subject to teach it.

Agreed, it depends on the attitude of the questioner. Here's what I've learned: there are a great many things that, if I have the desire to know them, I can study and learn alongside my child, and we'll be just fine. There is nothing wrong with that approach, in fact, I'm a big proponent of it, since all human beings need to be lifelong learners. I'm hoping that my modeling will remove any fear my children mght have of tackling something they need to learn.

I'd say that is even true for foreign languages at their beginning levels. I wouldn't have said that several years ago.

Seriously, almost everything one has in highschool is the most basic level of that subject. If a parent has the ability and the desire, why shouldn't they teach it?

I disagree. One of my daughters wanted to learn Swedish. I always wanted to learn Swedish. I am a German and Spanish teacher. If anyone could have taught a language she didn't know, it would have been me. And we failed miserably, making essentially no progress until we took a class together and then hired tutors.

I also have to say there is something to the idea that some people might know a subject well, yet not be so good at teaching it. Dh falls into that category. He's the math expert, but Dc get pretty nervous if I tell them dad is teaching math. He's done it before, but he just gets it so easily that he can't imagine why Dc might not understand and he doesn't come up with the same kind of reteaching or explanations I use (b/c I'm NOT a math person and I have mastered all the mistakes that can be made and know how to watch out for them in Dc).

Yes, just because someone can speak a language does not mean that they have the ability to teach it. I personally, do not feel qualified to teach beginning English. I wouldn't know how to break it down into its most basic levels so the students could learn. I would not have had the same experience of learning, so I would have less empathy and less helpful suggestions of how to remember things.

Good grief. Did someone 'train' her how to teach her kid to tie his shoes?

This thread reminds me of the third grade teacher I encountered at ds's swim who told me she didn't bother teaching about place value and 'borrowing and carrying' and all that because it was so complicated. I can't remember how she put it exactly but it was pathetic....she admitted that she didn't teach any of the 'why' only the 'how'. I remember my mouth was hanging open. I couldn't believe it. I knew for sure then that I was as capable as public school. (and yes I know not all teachers are that dumb)

there was a MATH teacher in middle school who told my friend's husband, she "wasn't concerned if the student got the "right answer. . . . ." his response - "I"m an engineer. if the math is wrong, the plane will crash." (or the mars probe.)

I've a good friend who is a high school math teacher - she said many of the bad math teachers get stuck teaching lower level math because the good ones want to teach higher math. what a way to weed out the can learn by themselves from the need a teacher to teach them students.

I think it's also a reflection on the awful math curriculum they're using in many school districts. our district changed after 1dd went through. I told 2dd to get 1dd to help her with her calculus. as she was looking over the book to figure out what 2dd was supposed to be doing, 1dd was positivley cursing the curriculum they were using and referring to it as "incredibily stupid". the biggest irony is 1dd was a classics major (easily did college calculus. math is a language. language is a toy.). 2dd was a hard science major - and got a lesson in college calc (same uni as 1dd) about what the public school district didn't teach about math.

I disagree. One of my daughters wanted to learn Swedish. I always wanted to learn Swedish. I am a German and Spanish teacher. If anyone could have taught a language she didn't know, it would have been me. And we failed miserably, making essentially no progress until we took a class together and then hired tutors.

But that's your experience. It isn't fair to generalize that to everyone else and say that foreign languages can't ever be learned (and taught) at the beginning levels by someone who is also a learner. So, all I'm saying is that it can be done, and I'm no longer going to tell people that foreign languages require a profficient teacher. I now know otherwise.

Unless one has the ability to be in some kind of immersion experience, the year one and year two levels of any language are mostly about learning vocab, grammar, syntax, and (hopefully) how to pronounce correctly. You may not need a teacher for that.

Yes, just because someone can speak a language does not mean that they have the ability to teach it. I personally, do not feel qualified to teach beginning English. I wouldn't know how to break it down into its most basic levels so the students could learn. I would not have had the same experience of learning, so I would have less empathy and less helpful suggestions of how to remember things.

Ironically, you did that with your kids, through immersion. (I know, it's not the same as teaching a subject.)

I recently read a blog post where a homeschool mom was outlining the positives about homeschooling. One of the things she listed was being able to learn alongside her child. A ps teacher ripped her up one side and down the other in the comments saying that in the public school system parents would be furious if teachers had this attitude. Teachers are expected to know the material BEFORE entering the classroom.

I guess I shouldn't tell her about my AP Calculus class where me and another student taught the class while our teacher, who was currently enrolled in calculus at the local college to become certified, took notes. :svengo:

So I would say, yes, there are definitely ways to get around subjects that you have difficulty teaching and if parents think the same thing doesn't happen in the ps system, then they are fooling themselves. At least when you homeschool, it's okay to admit that you need to outsource subjects, but in the ps if the teacher doesn't know how to teach a subject she/he is required to teach, they are expected to muddle through and do the best they can at the expense of the student's education.

I recently read a blog post where a homeschool mom was outlining the positives about homeschooling. One of the things she listed was being able to learn alongside her child. A ps teacher ripped her up one side and down the other in the comments saying that in the public school system parents would be furious if teachers had this attitude. Teachers are expected to know the material BEFORE entering the classroom.

But that is what people can't seem to understand.....teaching our children is different than teaching 30 children that belong to other people. A teacher is doing a job....a job for which she/he is paid. So yes I do expect them to 'know the material' before entering the classroom. Being a parent is completely different....and my son's academic education is just one other aspect of all the things I am teaching him on his road to adulthood.