Menu

Summer TV--what are you watching?

I've started watching a couple of shows again this summer and was wondering what people who watch are watching. What's good? Why is it good? What are your kids/teens watching? Mine haven't had a regular TV show in a couple of years, and after the Olympics I thought I'd see if there's something they could watch (probably a different show for my teen than the others.)

But isn't that, by definition, not "television"? :lol:

I'm teasing -- I sure enjoyed that too!

It's the future of television...

I hope. :tongue_smilie:

The shows we are currently watching...

The Bill Engvall show (corny, brain-mush sitcom)

Country Fried Planet/Country Fried Home Videos

AFV

Mabe in America

America's Dumbest Criminals et al

Mythbusters

Deadliest Catch

Dirty Jobs

We don't watch all of these all the time, but if someone is watching tv, it's usually one of those, unless I happen to catch a BBC sitcom or What Not to Wear.

Monk, Psych, Stargate Atlantis, Burn Notice, Law and Order: Criminal Intent, Dog Whisperer.

We already caught up on the 4th season of Lost by watching it on-line with our 52" television hooked up to dh's computer :-)

I've also been watching Mr. Foyle's War on Masterpiece.

I'm kind of tired of most of the DIY shows, although I still can't help but watch Design to Sell :-) None are as good as Trading Spaces was in its hay day.

It's amazing that even with 150 satellite channels, there still is often nothing to watch :-o

*Bill Engvall Show (I agree that it's corny brain mush... but nice and something I'm not embarrassed if my kids see).

*Monk

*Psych

*Burn Notice

*Stargate Atlantis

*Dr. Who (think there's only one episode left in the season).

*The Closer

Val

[quote=valkett;408359*Dr. Who (think there's only one episode left in the season).

Val

Yep, only 1. :sad: And only 4 new episodes for the next season, as BBC has budget issues. :crying:

For us it's:

Dr. Who

Robin Hood

Mythbusters

Ghost Hunters

Monster Quest

just about anything on the History & Science Channels :001_smile:

Wishbone & Cyberchase on PBS

My husband and I are working our way through Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel on DVD with our daughter (seasons 5 and 2 currently).

All four of us are enjoying the return of our favorite summer series: History Detectives, Monk and Psych. (My son is especially crazy about Psych.)

Other than that, we've been doing some older and classic movies: Rear Window, Singing in the Rain, Harvey, etc.

We have cable, but basic extended (not digital). We signed up for basic only and the guy came and put it in. He asked me why only basic and I told him it was all we could afford in the budget. He gave me the next level up. I spent 6 months telling the cable company we had more than we were supposed to, but they wouldn't come change it. I finally gave up. I tried to do the right thing. So we pay $20 a month for 75 channels.

I love Corner Gas on WGN, and so does my dh. As a family, we enjoy Man vs. Wild, most Food Network shows, and SpongeBob. The kids like some of the Disney stuff (we don't like it all, though). We belong to Netflix, so we can get movies. We love all the Fox Faith films, especially.

My husband and I are working our way through Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel on DVD with our daughter (seasons 5 and 2 currently).
Are you going to follow up with Firefly and Serenity, or have you already seen them?

Are you going to follow up with Firefly and Serenity, or have you already seen them?

Moira, Have you seen Wonderfalls? It's not Joss, but it's Tim Minear (Angel, Firefly), so it's got *some* of what I've loved about Joss's shows...

(Wonderfalls in turn shares creators and/or producers with Dead Like Me and my new absolutely favorite show, Pushing Daisies...)

Moira, Have you seen Wonderfalls? It's not Joss, but it's Tim Minear (Angel, Firefly), so it's got *some* of what I've loved about Joss's shows...
I haven't yet, though it's on my list right after the last two seasons of Peep Show and Arrested Development.

(Wonderfalls in turn shares creators and/or producers with Dead Like Me and my new absolutely favorite show, Pushing Daisies...)
I've heard good things about Pushing Daisies. My to-watch list is starting to rival my to-read list.

So You Think You Can Dance (they're down to the last few dancers and it's nerve wracking)

Janice Dickinson Modelling Agency (definitely NOT for kids or TV snobs, LOL!)

Mad Men (season 2 starts tonight!!!!) (again, not for littles)

Survivorman

Swingtown (not for kids, and probably not for a lot of adults, but hugely evocative of those crazy 70s when I was a teen)

Flight of the Conchords (just watched all eps on DVD)

Also, we've set our Tivo to record any American Film Institute top 100 movies that air so we've been watching a lot of oldies but goodies (The Apartment, 12 Angry Men to name the latest couple).

We really enjoyed the latest season of Deadliest Catch but am now sorry it is over and we have to wait until next year to find our if Captain Phil is doing any better.

We also like Anthony Bourdain on the Travel Channel and some of the shows about the primative tribes (both anthropology minors here).

Our girls like: John and Kate plus Eight and Nanny 911.

:001_smile:

him as the jerk from the Hitch movie. Is the show worth it, should I give it a try?

I never saw Hitch, but I love this show. You can preview on USAnetwork online to see if it is worth it to you. Sharon Gless plays his mother and she is just a hoot.

The Next Food Network Star...ends tonight. We also always catch Iron Chef America.

My teen son loves Psych, Burn Notice, and Monk.

I'm a Stargate fan. Enjoy Atlantis, but still miss SG1. Looking forward to Eureka this week.

I've been catching Project Runway, too. Totally foreign concept to design from scratch.

Our favorite show of all is Texas Rangers Baseball. It's always on in our house.

The one I usually wathc and someone joins me is So You Think You Can Dance

Dh and youngest daughter watch things like MythBusters and How its Made and other science/engineering shows.

I watch Dr. G, MYstery Diagnosis and life in the ER on Discovery Health and sometimes youngest watches with me.

I watch Dog Whisperer and occasionally either daighter watches.

Older daughter usually just watches movies or soe shows like America's Dumberst Criminals or Cops.

DH, I and oldest DD spent two evenings last week watching the BBC Macbeth with the youngest sometimes sitting in. This week we will do Hamlet.

My netflixs right now are a Bollywood move, West Side Story, and an German detective movie.

We also watch the tropical weather report at least once a day on a local channel since we live on an island and like to know if we will be evacuating anytime soon.

We check out FMC, AMC for anything that catches our eye.

My sons like Avatar, Mythbusters, and TVLand(even though I think they need to revamp their lineups...offer some of the oldies that are lost in a vault like My Three Sons, The Flying Nun, The Real McCoys etc)

We watch Nashville Star except I think the talent level this season has been really low. No star appeal!!

I watch Real Housewives of Orange County and New York to laugh at how some people are clueless about the "real world" and how they have so much but yet so little!!!

I'm ready for fall season to arrive!!!!

I'm another Anthony Bourdain fan, and the Weird Foods Guy.

Also, please no laughs... I never watched Lost, and one of my brothers got my the whole first season on dvd for my b'day. So far I'm through the first three disks (10 eps + 2 pilots). It's started off really hooky.. but seems to be getting better. Dd12 can choose who she likes better Sawyer or the Doc. LOL, I'll take um both. :lol::lol::001_huh:

We watched Firefly when it was on, but never got around to Serenity.

We have a couple more seasons of Buffy/Angel to go, but since my daughter is turning into a Whedon fan, we may do the Firefly/Serenity sequence after that.

Wonderfalls was pure, unadulterated genius.