Menu

Musicals

jen3kids

My daughter is 13 and has seen her older cousins in various high school shows - usually musicals - and she has enjoyed them immensely. We will be going to see the local schools shows as well.

She watched Oliver! over the holidays and loved it. We are currently watching Les Mis.

What other musicals do you think she'd enjoy? Any to steer clear of?

Do you recommend reading a synopsis before watching the production?

We are borrowing from the library, although our nearby city does have quite a few showing throughout the year. Tickets are so expensive.

Thanks!

My dd loved the pirates of penzance at that age. she even insisted she had to listen to it while doing math. (considering her grades in math, she could do whatever she wanted.)

here are a couple our whole family enjoys and we've watched for years - even the boys.

I would strongly recommend the English National Opera version - with Eric Idle as KoKo - of The Mikado. I've seen several versions - but we always go back to that one.

and 1776. you wouldn't think they could make a musical of the signing of the declaration of independence, but they did a fabulous job of it. it starts out with john adams complaining about what a do-nothing congress he has to deal with that can't even agree on whether the windows should be open or closed. It ends with a unanimous vote to rebel against England and the 'greatest army the world has ever known." and signing of the declaration with the bell tolling in the background. It starts out lighthearted and fun, and has a very moving end. this is also really good for US history as the meat is all fairly accurate.

both of the above have lines quoted around here quite frequently.

eta: I'll agree with the above. dd adored cats. (much of the script is taken from one of T.S. Eliot's poems). phatom of the opera is also great.

and the old staples sound of music, my fair lady, and west side story (though might wait until she's a bit older).

you know, there were so many fabulous musicals in the 50's. south pacific, the music man . . . . Hello Dolly. Fiddler on the Roof. (which can also be used for early 20th century history of the expulsion of jews from russia.)

The King and I (warning: crying may ensue at the end)

The Unsinkable Molly Brown

Brigadoon

Oklahoma!

The Music Man

My Fair Lady

Carousel

Singin' in the Rain

Bedknobs and Broomsticks (which is a children's movie, but the music is still fun)

Mary Poppins

anything from the 50's or 60's would be good.

My Fair Lady

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Sound of Music

if you have netflex or maybe even if you do not have an account (not sure if it would work) you can put in Oliver and it will list suggested musicals or you could probably just goggle 1950s movies musicals or 1960s movie musicals and lists may come up

You must see Fiddler on the Roof!

Also:

Godspell - very dated movie version but the score is fabulous

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Guys and Dolls

The Spitfire Grill if you can find it - might have to try Youtube for theatre company uploads

Wicked - though you'd have to see that at the theatre

Hello, Dolly!

and yes to all the ones listed in previous posts

We are huge musical fans here. I even built DD's music appreciation studies around musicals last year.

We always enjoy Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, but I've had some talks w/ Dc about the lyrics b/c if you really think about some of what is being said it's like :001_huh:

I mean "Bless her beautiful hide"? Dd and I just crack up at that one, but irl no woman wants to be thought of as 'hide'.

I also love Brigadoon. I love "Waitin for My Dearie" and it has an excellent point.

I loved Pippin when we did it in high school, but our drama teacher did tone down some of the dialogue and choreography (Fosse was a genius, but not exactly G-rated).

Avoid Spring Awakening. Again, an excellent musical, but not for kids (even though it's about teens). I can't even play the soundtrack if little ones are around.

Modern:

Once

Across the Universe

Classic:

Singin' in the Rain

The King and I

Grease

The Music Man

Fiddler on the Roof

West Side Story

The Sound of Music

Meet Me in St. Louis

Oklahoma!

My Fair Lady

Also good and not mentioned:

Harvey Girls

Guys and Dolls

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Little Shop of Horrors

I love The Mikado as well, but the words go by so fast you miss how funny it is.

Avoid Spring Awakening. Again, an excellent musical, but not for kids (even though it's about teens). I can't even play the soundtrack if little ones are around.

I agree that it is excellent. I enjoyed it with an older teen, but I agree that you should avoid it with young children.

Regards,

Kareni

Our favorite is Fiddler on the Roof. Other classics like Sounds of Music, My Fair Lady, and The Music Man are great. A more modern-day musical which we love is Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Oh, another musical we love (not AS many songs as most, but still really fun) is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

I loved Pippin when we did it in high school, but our drama teacher did tone down some of the dialogue and choreography (Fosse was a genius, but not exactly G-rated).

Ahhhhh- Diamond was a featured dancer in Sweet Charity last year. The show had a lot fo funny scenes. Fosse choreography was EXCELLENT! They guy who did our "elevator scene" was amazing- better than the filmed version of the musical. The story does concern "Taxi Dancers" but our musical toned down that aspect and channged a few words in some songs. My 12 & 10 (at the time) yos loved it- but I'd use caution at other productions.

I have played in the pit for many a musical. The only one I never tired of was "Paint Your Wagon." ( Now I'm going to be singing "I Talk to the Trees" all day! :tongue_smilie: )

WARNING!!!!! THe movie "Paint Your Wagon" is NOTHING like the stage musical!!! The movie deals with prostitution, bigamy, gambling, drinking and other non-family friendly stuff. To top it off Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood CANNOT SING!!!! My high school did the stage version and it was great, Stay away from the movie.

Mary

Around here, EVERY high school in the county does a musical in the spring and they're cheap to watch. The first time I went to one I was blown away by what a big, professional-looking production it was. You might want to investigate the high school drama scene in your area. They're certainly not doing the type of 'plays' I remember as a kid. It's impressive.

A couple of obscure ones that I've always loved:

Royal Wedding, with Fred Astaire and Vera-Ellen, containing the immortal lines:

How could you believe me

When I

said I love you

When you know I've been a liar all my life?

White Christmas (blushing b/c this movie is sooooo cheesy but I absolutely adore Danny Kaye :) )

Around here, EVERY high school in the county does a musical in the spring and they're cheap to watch. The first time I went to one I was blown away by what a big, professional-looking production it was. You might want to investigate the high school drama scene in your area. They're certainly not doing the type of 'plays' I remember as a kid. It's impressive.

Here, too. GREAT cheap entertainment. My dds just saw Sweeney Todd at their cousin's high school and said it was wonderful.

Joseph/Technicolor Dreamcoat is awesome, but Potiphar's wife's costume is extremely tacky and risque (more than cleavage) in at least one of the movie verions--I think the Donny Osmond one. I was shocked and didn't think I was shockable! :)

I also loved "Hairspray" but that gets suggestive, as well--kind of depends on how your dd takes innuendo, some of it pretty obvious.

WARNING!!!!! THe movie "Paint Your Wagon" is NOTHING like the stage musical!!! The movie deals with prostitution, bigamy, gambling, drinking and other non-family friendly stuff. To top it off Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood CANNOT SING!!!! My high school did the stage version and it was great, Stay away from the movie.

Mary

Seriously? :crying: That's so disappointing. I know that one of the characters has 2 wives, and there is an amazing comic duet between the two of them, but the version my local theater group did was squeaky-clean, and I don't recall there being many- if any- cuts!

Seriously? :crying: That's so disappointing. I know that one of the characters has 2 wives, and there is an amazing comic duet between the two of them, but the version my local theater group did was squeaky-clean, and I don't recall there being many- if any- cuts!

They basically totally rewrote the story for the movie and just kept a few songs, not many at all. And the ones they kept weren't sung well! I saw the movie before seeing it on stage and was very pleased to see what it was "supposed" to be.

Mary

P.S. if you're interested this wiki post explains the differences between the movie and stage play http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_Your_Wagon_%28film%29