Menu

I fell on my stairs yesterday :(

Ginevra

I think this is the worst I've ever been hurt from a household accident. I slipped banana-peel-style (legs flying up in front) and came down so hard on my back. I think it caused a whiplash-like effect because my neck went tingly and I still have a headache from it. I was dizzy for hours and spent the rest of the evening lying down. My sweet dd stepped up and made dinner.

I'm just really bummed that I hurt myself. I guess I want sympathy. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the sympathy, everyone. I have not been to the dr., but I haven't ruled out going if my head doesn't feel better soon. There is no visible bruising on my back, but I don't know whether to consider that a good thing or a bad thing. The area where I hit hurts, but it must be bruised on the inside, not out.

I think this is the worst I've ever been hurt from a household accident. I slipped banana-peel-style (legs flying up in front) and came down so hard on my back. I think it caused a whiplash-like effect because my neck went tingly and I still have a headache from it. I was dizzy for hours and spent the rest of the evening lying down. My sweet dd stepped up and made dinner.

I'm just really bummed that I hurt myself. I guess I want sympathy. :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug:

That is terrible. You might need a chiropractor or a massage after that kind of fall. :(

Thanks for the sympathy, everyone. I have not been to the dr., but I haven't ruled out going if my head doesn't feel better soon. There is no visible bruising on my back, but I don't know whether to consider that a good thing or a bad thing. The area where I hit hurts, but it must be bruised on the inside, not out.

Lack of bruising means nothing. I took a fall like that while walking down the stairs with my baby. To protect her. Leaned back and hit my spine squarely on the stairs and bounced down. Nicked the wind out of me. Long story short I had a compression fracture on one of my vertebrae.

:grouphug: I fell down our stairs a couple years ago. Thankfully I landed on my hip and except for a giant bruise and a lot of achiness I was fine. Oh but it hurt! I don't get how my boys can fly down those stairs--they're a bit slippery. But I try to go slowly and still . . . ouch! Now I always make it a point to wear shoes when I have to go down the stairs to help with the traction. So I don't end up in traction!

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Lack of bruising means nothing. I took a fall like that while walking down the stairs with my baby. To protect her. Leaned back and hit my spine squarely on the stairs and bounced down. Nicked the wind out of me. Long story short I had a compression fracture on one of my vertebrae.

Oooh! That doesn't sound good. :(

:grouphug: I fell down our stairs a couple years ago. Thankfully I landed on my hip and except for a giant bruise and a lot of achiness I was fine. Oh but it hurt! I don't get how my boys can fly down those stairs--they're a bit slippery. But I try to go slowly and still . . . ouch! Now I always make it a point to wear shoes when I have to go down the stairs to help with the traction. So I don't end up in traction! Hope you're feeling better soon!

Yeah, no kidding. Guess what I was wearing on my feet? "Slippers." :glare: There's a spot-on name if ever there was one.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: I'm filled with sympathy for you...Stair falls are awful and scary...My next home will be a one story(with a basement if we still live in tornado-ville) no matter how small it is.

Too true. Stairs: may I never build/buy a house with such an atrocity again.

I've done that twice. it's horrible. Please be super careful on stairs for the rest of your life, and hold the banister! My aunt, who is a pathologist, explained that the dizziness and vision issues are from your brain being "bumped" around in your skull during the fall. Very scary stuff.

Yes, that's what I thought, that my brain got bumped around in my skull.

My SIL fell out of a chair backwards about 3 weeks ago and has progressively gotten worse to the point where she can barely move her neck and her fingers are tingly. I think she is going to have to have an MRI soon. So you might should go to the doctor. :(

:iagree: If you still have a headache from it, that's not good. If it's still bothering you in the morning, I would definitely go in. :grouphug:

If you still have a headache I would suggest going to a chiropractor or doctor and getting checked out. Chances are you're just bruised and sore and will feel better in a few days but because of the headache and tingling it is better to be cautious and get checked out. It could be a simple pinched nerve or you could have fractured something. I might be overly cautious about this sort of thing because I know someone who had similar symptoms and ended up partially paralyzed and having to learn to walk again because the injury cause swelling on his brain. He was fine but sore for a few days after the initial injury and then just collapsed in the middle of the day several days later.

Did you go to the doctor? How are you feeling?

I did not go to the doctor, but my headache went away. I have not had a headache today at all and haven't taken any medication, so I think I'm on the mend. My back is still sore today and I discovered a huge bruise on my butt and one on my arm. I think it's on it's way to healing, though. Good excuse to have ds do laundry with me all day. :)

Oh, my goodness, that's one of my recurring nightmares. I have a phobia of stairs because I seem to trip and stumble on them constantly. I've never fallen as seriously as you did, though.

I stumbled on some uneven pavement while walking my dog around the neighborhood in the dark last summer (one sidewalk square was five inches higher than the previous square due to a tree root pushing it up). I fell on my chest and the side of my head. I was bruised in places that I never realized a person could be bruised in (breasts? the entire fronts of legs? entire feet?) It took months for the bruising to heal. To add insult to injury, after getting up from that fall, I got lost on the way home (it was in our new neighborhood, and it was dark) and ended up walking around in total agony for another 15 minutes.

Glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt!

I hurt myself on Christmas night because I thought it would be a good idea to try my son's new pogo stick. Yeah, I'm that stupid! I don't even drink alcohol. I did it totally sober! My knee still hurts!

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Elise in NC

Go to the hospitla or doctor. My son fell less hard than that and I almost just gave him advil. Instead I took him in and he has two fractured vertebrae. The number one way to do that kind of fracture is falling on steps or out of a chair. Go. Get xrays. Please. There is NO way to tell if it is fractured without xrays. He had zero numbness/tingling and not a whole lot of pain mroe than any other bump or bruise.

Go to the hospitla or doctor. My son fell less hard than that and I almost just gave him advil. Instead I took him in and he has two fractured vertebrae. The number one way to do that kind of fracture is falling on steps or out of a chair. Go. Get xrays. Please. There is NO way to tell if it is fractured without xrays. He had zero numbness/tingling and not a whole lot of pain mroe than any other bump or bruise.

Oh, man! I'm really not a go-to-the-doctor person... :leaving: