Menu

Last night's Downton Abbey

linders

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting to discuss this here as it shows we all view this through our own filters.

As i was watching I felt that it highlighted the risks of having a baby at home as opposed to the hospital. At the hospital Sybil could've had a risky but potentially life-saving C-section. The family doctor was insisting on the hospital. I'm a proponent of hospital births, so that's what I was seeing.

Sorry, but it didn't highlight the safety of a hospital birth over a homebirth. Any midwife worth her salt wouldn't attempt a homebirth under those conditions. If a mom has signs of preeclampsia, or other signs of distress, she would be transported to the hospital where they are better able to handle complications. Those conditions don't pop up and kill mom and baby in an instant, they have warning signs ahead of time. Even in the show Sybil didn't go straight from fine to dead in a matter of minutes. She was struggling at least 24 hours before the baby was born.

Sorry, but it didn't highlight the safety of a hospital birth over a homebirth. Any midwife worth her salt wouldn't attempt a homebirth under those conditions. If a mom has signs of preeclampsia, or other signs of distress, she would be transported to the hospital where they are better able to handle complications. Those conditions don't pop up and kill mom and baby in an instant, they have warning signs ahead of time. Even in the show Sybil didn't go straight from fine to dead in a matter of minutes. She was struggling at least 24 hours before the baby was born.

I agree. Homebirth midwives now will only accept moms who are in relatively good health. From the research I have done, maternal and infant death rates are far, far higher in the hospital and from hospital/surgery related complications than from home births.

It was awful!

Speaking of filters, I feel a growing distaste for Lord Grantham. I see him as a dimwitted, pig-headed, egotistical fool in a veneer of gentility. He lost his wife's money on a 'sure thing.' He grossly mismanages the estate (I have been waiting since season 1 for some sort of farm manager to appear). Doesn't he realize that English country houses are in trouble -- he should, since he married an American to help with money. After Matthew gives him money, he immediately hired three new people for the house.

I think it might be in the next episode (or maybe later, I can't remember) where he mentions Charles Ponzi and how they should get in on that! (This is hardly a spoiler, since it's just a passing comment Lord Grantham makes.)

Oh boy is Cora mad!

Bates' story is tiresome. It looks like his cellmate is planning something evil. Can't that issue get resolved already?

I'm suprised at how many say Sybil was their favorite... I liked her, but didn't find her character that heavy in the story.

I'm disappointed in how Lady Mary and Matthew have become. Where'd their spark go?

I will keep watching, I love the time period, the costumes, and the Dowager! But Season is looking like the best one so far.

They ended Parenthood early last year, too, although I don't think it was January. They didn't order many episodes this season and haven't yet decided whether to cancel it for next season, which is why most of the story arcs were all neatly tied up at the end of the episode.

I didn't like how somewhat tied up all the story lines were for this finale. It certainly seemed like they may be anticipating the end. It seems to be rumored that way every season. I really want the show to continue. It's our favorite. Though think it would do better in a 9:00 time slot.

I am nervous to watch the episode. I had a friend spoil it for me and I was honestly glad that she did because I had four pre-eclamptic pregnancies and was told that another wouldn't turn out as well as the other four did. Preeclampsia is silent, you have no idea that you are sick without regular blood pressure monitoring and urine testing until you are very sick. Also, yes, it can get worse up to 6 weeks after the birth of the baby. I'll be watching with tissues.

Eclampsia can occur up to six weeks AFTER birth. Even now. Usually women don't die from it today if they get to the ER fast enough, but some still do. And it can develop even if you didn't show any signs of pre-eclampsia.

The bolding is mine . . .

My cousin and her baby were a case of "some still do". I posted here about their struggle and subsequent deaths a few years ago:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/264300-emergency-prayer-request-please/

My cousin had pre-eclampsia that turned into eclampsia. Her brain stem was damaged, and there was no chance of survival. Her child died, too. She was young, and this was her first baby. It still seems so senseless, like it shouldn't have happened with all of the knowledge and technology available today.

What?! Does someone else die at Christmas?! Oh no. Is it lord grantham?! I can just see them just get made up and he dies or they die never making things right.

Well, I'm not spoiled on the exact plot, but I have a general idea about what's going to happen because I've seen news stories about who did or didn't sign on for the next series.

Sorry, but it didn't highlight the safety of a hospital birth over a homebirth. Any midwife worth her salt wouldn't attempt a homebirth under those conditions.

Exactly. One of my children was born with the assistance of a CPM, and when I was interviewing her, she made it abundantly clear that "if, x, y, or z situation happens, I don't care what your birth philosophy is; I WILL do a, b, c for your safety. If you don't agree to that course of action, then you should hire someone else." Part of a home birth midwife's job is knowing when the hospital or referral to a physician is the more appropriate course, and most of the time hospital transfer is not an indication of his or her failure.

It was awful!

Speaking of filters, I feel a growing distaste for Lord Grantham. I see him as a dimwitted, pig-headed, egotistical fool in a veneer of gentility. He lost his wife's money on a 'sure thing.' He grossly mismanages the estate (I have been waiting since season 1 for some sort of farm manager to appear). Doesn't he realize that English country houses are in trouble -- he should, since he married an American to help with money. After Matthew gives him money, he immediately hired three new people for the house.

I thought it could hardly get worse until last night. Lord G is so besotted with his fashionable 'Sir' physician that he doesn't even want his wife to telephone their long-time doctor. This man who doesn't even want to hear the word urine is making medical decisions. He also ignores the fact that that his daughter has a husband who might have something to say. He is blind and entitled. He should learn to dress himself.

Am I too emotionally involved here????

You forgot the incident with the maid last season.I lost all respect then.

I am curious as to why you think it will continue to get worse. Is it the doctors or our health in general, or our healthcare system?

There has been an OB-GYN shortage brewing for a while now. Also, just a couple weeks ago a hospital (I think it was in Pennsylvania?) announced that they would no longer be offering maternity services. This isn't the only hospital to do this, just the most recent one to hit the news. I think a lot of it has to do with the high cost of malpractice insurance. Over ten years ago the OB-GYN I was using at the time announced her early retirement because of a combination of sky-rocketing malpractice insurance premiums and her feelings that insurance companies were becoming increasingly powerful in dictating patient care. If things don't change I think it will only become more difficult for pregnant women to receive quality care, especially when emergencies arise.

I was so mad at Ethel's wedding! Sir Anthony wouldn't have done that if not for Lord Grantham's and his mom's digs against him. He shouldn't have done it--especially not the way he did it. Poor Ethel.

LOL, then he looked all appalled that the man was going to leave her at the alter. I thought he was going to hit him for a minute. I was like, "What'd you expect!?"

I don't know though, I still like Lord Grantham. :o

Ok, confession time. I am a total Downton Abbey ho. I'm in love with all the men. Branson, Lord Grantham, Matthew, Bates....I even have a soft spot for Carson. And let me offer this as an explanation for my wanton behavior. http://www.charlie-g...on-abbey-gq.htm You're welcome. :D

Oh Gracious! :::fans self::: now you've done gone and given me the VAPORS...now where on earth did I leave my smellin' salts?

Ok, confession time. I am a total Downton Abbey ho. I'm in love with all the men. Branson, Lord Grantham, Matthew, Bates....I even have a soft spot for Carson. And let me offer this as an explanation for my wanton behavior. http://www.charlie-g...on-abbey-gq.htm You're welcome. :D

Trying to figure out which one to set as my desktop background is proving to be a challenge. :hurray:

This made me laugh out loud! Matthew Crawley is the only one for me LOL.

That is awesome!

This made me laugh out loud! Matthew Crawley is the only one for me LOL.

Me too! He looks smoking hot.

I have now watched them all.

:(

I'm guessing that includes the Christmas special? I read that Julian Fellows was backed into a corner on that one and that isn't wasn't his idea. I would say I just hate to see so much hate poured onto the poor fellow, but that would be way too much pun for one sentence. Oops, already did it.

I have now watched them all.

:(

Yeah, and just what the heck was that all about??? Seriously, I was more mad than upset, because I think there were just soooooo many more ways the writers could have dealt with it. When everyone here has seen it, I'll expound upon a few. LOL

At first I felt the same way.

But yet, this way is more realistic too, yk?

But I don't like it! LOL. My solution was to send a certain someone off to NY to learn a thing or two from Shirley MacLaine about money matters and such. Then that certain someone could gracefully return the following season...or another actor could return in that certain someone's place. But Julian Fellowes never called to ask my opinion. Sadly. LOL

*sigh* I think Netflix labeled a DVD as the wrong season. I found DA on my local PBS station, which hasn't shown Sybil's death yet. I watched all of season 1 on Netflix streaming, then ordered disc 1 of season 2 on DVD. I don't know what season or disc that really was, but Netflix really ruined the timeline of the story for me because that disc had Sybil's death on it. In what season does this actually occur? I continued watching on Sunday, thinking it was the most up-to-date episode, and suddenly Sybil was back, and she and the chauffer weren't even engaged yet. I'm relieved to hear they didn't just scrap the story and restart a new one with the same characters for each season as I first thought. That was very annoying. I think I need to rewatch them all in order now.

They forgot that Pamook fellow who only lasted one night. :toetap05:

And the Season 3 "Christmas Special" will make you forget all about that. Truly it's horrible.

You know....I think I'm going to stop watching now. I don't want to deal with horrible. If I stop now...better yet, rewind a bit so Sybil can be alive...then all those lovely characters get to live on in my imagination. My own reality is much to real to deal with some days.

It was awful!

I thought it could hardly get worse until last night. Lord G is so besotted with his fashionable 'Sir' physician that he doesn't even want his wife to telephone their long-time doctor. This man who doesn't even want to hear the word urine is making medical decisions. He also ignores the fact that that his daughter has a husband who might have something to say. He is blind and entitled. He should learn to dress himself.

Am I too emotionally involved here????

I think that's the point of the show - the change from before WWI to after in society. I doubt Lord Grantham is very different from his peers - the emphasis on society's approval would have been the big concern for someone in his position. People and society was changing and change is hard, right? I like the fleshing out of the time period with, certainly stereotypical, but realistic characters.

And I hated that Sybil died.

I, too, am curious about why people say it was awful, that they are hating it, etc.

I have watched every single episode of Upstairs, Downstairs (the 1960's-70's series) plus the more recent series add-ons. I watched that series progress from the Victorian era through to the more modern times. At the start of the show, it clearly showed the class distinction between the haves and the have-nots. And the series showed the vacuity of the upper class. As the series progressed, however, it showed the slow demise of the class distinctions, the changing times, etc. I know, due to the setting of DA, that DA would have to reflect the same changing of the times, in order to have any real credibility with the audience.

To me, this is part of the fascination of the series. It is reflected in the changing styles of the clothing, in the attitudes of the staff, in the attitudes of the next generation of aristocracy. Yes, it's a high-brow soap opera, but I find the series an absolute fascination to watch, even amidst the drama of losing the characters.

LOL - should have read this.and just agreed first!

I saw the Sybil episode last night for the first time since last fall. I had forgotten how violent it was. Sybil looked just horrible, even before the toxemia really took hold of her. I wonder how they got her to bloat up like that -- she is a former ballet dancer, and I doubt she would have agreed to gain 20 pounds just for these last few episodes.

Lord Grantham doesn't bother me, except when he gets snippy with Cora. He should show more appreciation for his GEM of a wife. (Cora is my favorite character -- she handles every situation with humor and tact.)