Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week one

Robin M

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey while I wait for Season 3 to start on Sunday.

Added to my library hold list!

I had to leave Henry V and his men at the beginning of the Battle of Agincourt last night when it was time to leave for a friend's party! How will it end??! It isn't Shakespeare, but a fun work of historical fiction by Bernard Cornwell, called Agincourt: A Novel, which I found thanks to all the Kindle Daily Deals over the holidays. It is a good read, though I have to say that once again I am so very thankful not to be living in the Middle Ages.

Again, added to my library hold list!!

I love reading everyone's lists. I get so many new reading inspirations. Thank you!!

I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale.

This book terrified me. Actually, it still terrifies me. I passed it on to my mother, and it terrified her too.

I am still working on two from last week. Both are dusty and one is a chunkster: March of Folly (Barbara Tuchman) and Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett). I have written up my plans for January in this post on my blog. I've got plans to start two Canadian authors probably next week.

It is strange to be back at Number Zero again :rolleyes:

Pillars is one of my faves of all time. Not as crazy about the sequel though.

I'm starting the year with Good Omens and The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke - both for my book group. I'm thinking about taking the Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature course over at coursera. If I do, then between that course and my sf/fantasy book group, I may just get sick of the stuff for awhile.

Also, I have finally decided on categories for the 5/5/5 challenge:

dusty books

poetry

writing

magic/magical realism

Walt Whitman

I've been looking at the magic(al) realism book lists on goodreads, and wikipedia, but recommendations would be awesome.

I'll have to check out coursera. May just find something interesting to take. In regards to magical realism - I enjoyed Carlos Ruiz Zafon and his The Shadow in the Wind. Definitely worth checking out. One Hundred Years of Solitude was okay. Either Stacia or Mental Multivitamin read The Green Mile and really enjoyed it. I have Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin , Chocolat, Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar and 1Q84 in my TBR pile. We have several people who read them this year and really enjoyed. Will let you know once I get around to reading them. Oh! Night Circus and Raw Shark Texts definitely. Stacia and I will be reading Hopscotch together at some point - just have to decide when so if anyone else wants to join in they have time to get the book.

Happy New Year everyone!

I think I am going to start the year with The Hobbit. I have never read it, or TLR trilogy, so I am going to put it on my ever growing list. After reading through the thread, I have a feeling I will have no lack of books for my list. :)

This morning I read The Summer Deal (The Greek Series)- 210 pages of easy reading from the top 100 Free books on Kindle if anyone wants something to just relax and kill some time.

Tonight I am working on Grave Witch: An Alex Craft Novel by Kalayna Price. It was recommended for those that read Patricia Briggs and Kelley Armstrong. I'm trying not to buy anything new this month but can only read the free selections for so long before breaking down and spending money. LOL.

I read that years and years ago so I'm thinking it would probably be a good idea for me to revisit it this year.

I have a few in various stages of being read, The Aenid, Three Mile Island, and Physics and Technology for Future Presidents. I put Herzog (for the Canadian Challenge) and The Genius in All of Us on hold at the library. I hope they're ready to pick up b the weekend.

The Physics one sounds interesting. Are you reading it for a course. Look forward to hearing what you think about The Genius book. On my wishlist.

I'm reading Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey while I wait for Season 3 to start on Sunday.

I've never gotten into downtown abby but Lady Almina's book sounds really good.

I resurrected an old blog I started right before Adrian got sick. I put it in my sig line. I am reading Wuthering Heights. One of my goals is to read a significant number of classics, and I chose to start with this one because my oldest has to read it for Brit Lit. I'm enjoying the vocabulary.

Wuthering Heights - Another one I read eons ago in my teenage years. Barely remember it. Another one for the reread list.

I'm currently reading Lotions, Potions, Pills, and Magic Healthcare in Early America. After that The Richest Woman in America and The Other Side of the Night.

The Other Side of Night sounds good.

I'm reading Free Range Learning by Laura Grace Weldon. And working on setting up a book blog! :)

Have fun setting up your blog.

It is the most beautiful New Year's Day here sunny, 72 degrees and a nice breeze. I'm headed out to the back porch to finish Beauty (A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast). I have also started my "epic audiobook while I cross-stitch" challenge. :) I'm listening to Les Miserables - the 60 hour version. I am loving this book. I agree with whoever said they like listening to the classics. The only problem is that I need to see the french words so I can actually know what the narrator is saying. I'm better at reading french than listening to it.

What a good idea. I'd probably do better listening to Les Mis than reading it. Captured audience in the car. :)

Well, I chose the most gigantic book ever, Team of Rivals. It may have to be more than a week, and I'll pick a nice little novella after that.

Team of Rivals is huge. Have fun reading it.

I am still working on two from last week. Both are dusty and one is a chunkster: March of Folly (Barbara Tuchman) and Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett). I have written up my plans for January in this post on my blog. I've got plans to start two Canadian authors probably next week. It is strange to be back at Number Zero again :rolleyes:

Will be by to check out your blog soon. It is weird starting all over again, but fun. But so many choices.

I had to leave Henry V and his men at the beginning of the Battle of Agincourt last night when it was time to leave for a friend's party! How will it end??! It isn't Shakespeare, but a fun work of historical fiction by Bernard Cornwell, called Agincourt: A Novel, which I found thanks to all the Kindle Daily Deals over the holidays. It is a good read, though I have to say that once again I am so very thankful not to be living in the Middle Ages.

This sounds really good! I had to add it to my Amazon wish list, but my library also has the audio version available.

I'm near the beginning of Gotham by Mike Wallace. It's huge and non-fiction and over 1000 pages so I expect to read a few shorter things alongside it. This week I will probably finish Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics and Tomie DePaola's book Christmas Remembered which is a collection of short essays. I don't usually read modern novels but I was given a couple for Christmas so I will probably blow through a few in the first couple weeks here to get my 52 books off to a good start. I probably have more non-fiction chunksters on my reading shelf than is realistic for this year!

I know what you mean about non fiction chunksters. I have a tendency to buy them, then they sit around for a long time waiting to be read. I'll live vicariously through you in regards to Gotham and look forward to hearing what you think about it.

I am reading Clash of Kings book two in the Fire and Ice Series by George R Martin. I am also reading The Hobbit

Two interesting books to read at the same time. I read the first clash of kings book and enjoyed it. #2 is on my wishlist for later in the year.

I had to leave Henry V and his men at the beginning of the Battle of Agincourt last night when it was time to leave for a friend's party! How will it end??! It isn't Shakespeare, but a fun work of historical fiction by Bernard Cornwell, called Agincourt: A Novel, which I found thanks to all the Kindle Daily Deals over the holidays. It is a good read, though I have to say that once again I am so very thankful not to be living in the Middle Ages. I think that is going to be my last 2012 book and I'll start on the 2013 titles tonight or tomorrow. Happy New Year to all the regulars and a warm welcome to the newcomers!

Happy New year, Jenn. Enjoy!

I'm working on a couple of books right now. Radical Hospitality and Etched Upon My Heart.

Etched Upon my Heart sounds good.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened started out being hilarious in a sick and twisted kind of way. I looked past the offensive language b/c of the humor. But, It is very quickly losing its appeal and I'm probably going to scrap it b/c the author so clearly trounces on some of my deeply held beliefs and I'm not finding it amusing any more. Plus, there are some things in the book I'd NEVER want my kids to read, so it shouldn't be around the house. JMHO though, not trying to start a debate about book labeling or anything like that. Some of the book made me laugh out loud.

I never really appreciated Jenny's The Bloggess sense of humor so probably wouldn't enjoy her book.

Does anyone have suggestions for WWI history or historical fiction? We spend a lot of time in the Flanders region of Belgium, and I would love more books that help me humanize the history of the region.

I'm sure several of the ladies will have some suggestions. I'm coming up blank. Here's a few I found on Amazon.

I'm reading North and South. I know I won't read 52 books this year because I tend to choose books that are 800-1000 pages. Still, I thought it would be fun to participate in this challenge and find out about more books. Diann

We have a few people who only read chunksters so not a problem. Enjoy!

This week my goal is to finish a book I started after Christmas: How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster. I'm on page 64 out of 296 and so far all of his insights seem fairly simplistic. Either this book is for people with no exposure to lit analysis or I know more about reading than I thought I did. :p I'm hoping he dives a bit deeper as the book progresses.

To be honest I wasn't too particularly impressed with the book and never finished it.

Emma by Jane Austen (which serves for A in the A to Z challenge). Austen is so belovedly familiar that I often end up rushing through my rereads... so I am doing my current Austen reread in French, which slows me down dramatically... and since the book is one I know so well, this is a good way to revisit my very rusty French.

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein featured in a number of best of 2012 lists, but knowing it would be painful, I've procrastinated, but now that I've started it has grabbed me by the throat and is inescapable.

I started Schiff's bio of Cleopatra when it came out, but got sidetracked, and am just now returning to it... another book that merits is acclaim, and a relief after my disappointments with Massie's bio of Catherine the Great last year.

Now that's impressive trying to read Emma in French. I've heard quite a few good reviews of Code Name Verity and have added it to my wishlist. I also have Schiff's Cleopatra on my shelves (a gift from family) so glad to know it's worth reading.

So here is my current reading list for the new year:

Downstairs: More Mudpies to Magnets (I want to do more science with the kids).

Upstairs: Big Boned by Meg Cabot

Kindle: Forever More

IPhone: Mixed Bags

Sweet Boy Read Aloud: The Yellow Fairy Book

Angel Girl Read Aloud: The Wind In The Willows

WTM: Don Quixote

IPad: Guess I should go find a Canadian author....I read all the Anne books last year so I have to branch out a bit :)

I have a lot going at once so some weeks I may not get through even one book but some weeks I make it through all of them.

I checked out today:

The Wilder Life

The Girl Who Chased the Moon

The Tiger's Wife

Lily and I are doing a mother-daughter bookclub this year too and we're starting with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe so I'm reading it too. I've never actually read any of the Chronicles of Narnia so I'm excited to read it for the first time with her. :)

The mom-dd bookclub sounds fun; can you please tell me more about it? Dd (also about 8.5) and I love reading aloud to each other and discussing books. Right now we are reading Anne of Green Gables and having a great time. :)

I forgot to mention that I'm listening to David Copperfield on Audible. I downloaded all the free Audible books that came with Kindle "purchases" and I'm working through them while running. Most of them are classics I've never read. I finished Wuthering Heights a few weeks ago. Normally I'm a big fan of English literature of that period but Wuthering Heights definitely left me scratching my head a bit.

I'm a dropout from 2012 who is going to try again. :)

This week I am reading Far From the Tree by Andrew Solomon.

Amazon says: From the National Book AwardĂ¢â‚¬â€œwinning author of The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression comes a monumental new work, a decade in the writing, about family. In Far from the Tree, Andrew Solomon tells the stories of parents who not only learn to deal with their exceptional children but also find profound meaning in doing so.

SolomonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s startling proposition is that diversity is what unites us all. He writes about families coping with deafness, dwarfism, Down syndrome, autism, schizophrenia, multiple severe disabilities, with children who are prodigies, who are conceived in rape, who become criminals, who are transgender. While each of these characteristics is potentially isolating, the experience of difference within families is universal, as are the triumphs of love Solomon documents in every chapter.

I finished out last year at 39 books, aiming for the 52 mark once again. One of these years I'll get there. Starting out with a couple of Sigmund Brouwers on my nightstand and Fannie Flagg waiting for me at the library. Also a couple of nonfiction titles that I'll list when I complete each. My goal is to read daily. I have a tendency to read in chunks. Waiting for chunks of available time as opposed to sneaking in a chapter whenever I can has, I think, slowed my progress in the past. This will be the year of mobile books this year, so hopefully I can put my kindle to extra service.

I have read anything by Sigmund Brouwers yet. Will have to check him out. Definitely reading daily, finding time during breakfast or lunch, after the kids go to bed instead of watching tv is well worth it. You'll probably discover you are reading more with your kindle. I have a nook and find I've increased my reading.

I am off to Glasgow. Jane Harris's novel Gillespie and I opens in 1888 with the backdrop of the Glasgow International Exhibition. Our narrator wants to tell us of a great artist, Gillespie, who never achieved the notoriety she thinks he deserves. But is the reality that the narrator paints an accurate portrayal of her relationship with Gillespie--or does her version of the tale tell us more about the narrator herself? 9780062103208.jpg Now to give some thought to which Canadian author goes on my list...I feel confident that I can fulfill the Canadian and Dusty Book challenges simultaneously.

Gillespie and I sounds really good and adding it to my wishlist. By the end of April, my list is going to humongous.

OK, this is my first year here, and I am glad I decided to join. I am starting off with Les Miserables, and my plan is to read the classics. I have a zero dollar budget for books for *me*, so all of mine will be what I can find free for Kindle. There are plenty available too! Happy Reading! :cheers2: <----that should be coffee

I almost started the year with les miz but we have the two book set and I just couldn't face it yet. One of these years. :) There are an amazing number of books both classic and contemporary to be found free for kindle. Have fun!

I checked out today The Wilder Life, The Girl Who Chased the Moon, and The Tiger's Wife[/url] Lily and I are doing a mother-daughter bookclub this year too and we're starting with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe so I'm reading it too. I've never actually read any of the Chronicles of Narnia so I'm excited to read it for the first time with her. :)

All good books. Have fun doing the mother daughter reading. I keep trying with my son but he doesn't like Narnia for some reason.

I'm joining this year. I enjoy reading but need some motivation to actually do it for some reason. I've also given myself permission to just read, instead of trying to make sure I read something important or such. I'm aiming to read and enjoy it. I'm hoping as well to get some good suggestions for reading as well.This week I am focusing on finally finishing CS Lewis' The Weight of Glory.

So glad you joined in. Don't worry about what you read just enjoy it and have fun with it. I read more light books than heavy most of the time.

There are some benefits to being off one's feet. New Year's Day saw me starting and finishing Shakespeare's 'Measure for Measure.' I surely hope I can find a good movie version when I can get off my tail and off to the library. Since I started my Shakespeare "study" I've only found one really good movie and that was the BBC Classics version of Midsummer Nights Dream. That's so good it makes me forget I don't even like the story!

Did you hurt your back again? Have fun with your shakespeare study. I'm sure Mental Multivitamin will have a few things to share with you.

I am reading The Father's Tale by Michael O'Brien.

Enjoy! I have Sophia House in my stacks that I never finished. Will try again this year.

I'd love to get my hands on this, but will have to be ILL. I was given Island of the World for Christmas and I'm excited to re-read it. I'm still working on The White Horse King. Only a little left, but I keep watching football instead. I'm enjoying this chapter on the education renewal under Alfred the Great. Good stuff.

White Horse King looks interesting. Will have to check it out. Forgot all about football today.

I finished Wuthering Heights a few weeks ago. Normally I'm a big fan of English literature of that period but Wuthering Heights definitely left me scratching my head a bit.

:laugh: That's an understatement, imo. (Wuthering Heights was my most hated book of 2012. Ugh. What a despicable group of people.)

This week I am reading Far From the Tree by Andrew Solomon.

Looking forward to your review of this one. Heard about it this weekend on Bob Edwards, when he was talking to a lady from salon.com about her best reads of 2012. Sounds like a fascinating (if heartwrenching, in places) book.....

The mom-dd bookclub sounds fun; can you please tell me more about it? Dd (also about 8.5) and I love reading aloud to each other and discussing books. Right now we are reading Anne of Green Gables and having a great time. :)

It was my own idea and we are just starting so it may morph as we go. But my idea as I'm envisioning it is to pick a book together to read. This time I suggested a few books I think she might like and she picked. But I told her she's welcome to suggest something she wants as well, but I get veto power. I want veto power mostly because I 1) don't want to be reading an Ivy and Bean book in simplicity and 2) I don't want to be reading tween twaddle like Dork Diaries. :) A big part of my motivation is that she's scared of "big books." If I give her a book on the Kindle, it doesn't matter how long it is. But if I had her a 200 page book, she freaks because it's too long and doesn't even want to give it a chance. So I thought this would be a good way to help her get over the hump of being intimidated by the size of the book.

So we pick a book to read, read it at the same time, and then once a month we go have a date and we discuss the book. My current plan is for us to go to Starbucks and get a hot chocolate while we discuss it because she thinks that Starbucks is a "big girl" thing.

This is my first 52 book challenge, and I am really looking forward to it. My first book will be The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared by Alice Ozma (from the library). I love books about reading books. :) Since that won't take much time, I hope to read at least one more this week. I have an ever-growing list but have not decided on the order. This year I plan to read some C.S. Lewis, some Charles Dickens, some Jane Austen, To Kill a Mockingbird, Switch, perhaps Climbing Parnassus, Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr..., Choosing Gratitude by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, etc.

Dd and I are reading Anne of Green Gables to each other before bed (and other times) and enjoying it immensely.

I'd love to read some books set in Canada (other than Anne). Will have to look for some. I can't remember - did you have any recommendations? That would be great!

Did you hurt your back again?

Well the old back isn't too happy about lying about instead of moving, but no, that's not the trouble. I stepped outside the other day and didn't land in the standard fashion. So now I have pulled ligaments in my foot. Somehow I'm supposed to both get off my butt and live life, and sit on my butt resting so it will heal properly. So the plan is to sit on my butt as much as possible for the next two months, so I'm not damaging further at a faster rate than I'm healing. My mother did the same thing last year, didn't rest properly, and was still having trouble 8 months later. I don't think that is a good choice. So here I am, in bed, reading and writing a curriculum for next year. So I'm being productive, if not in a house worky way.

Have fun with your shakespeare study. I'm sure Mental Multivitamin will have a few things to share with you.

I said "study" not study. :p This is my first encounter with most of the plays, so I read a kiddie version to dd, then read the original myself, then watch whatever movie versions I can lay my hands on. We watched about a dozen last year and only found one really good one. I'm open to movie suggestions from people who think the BBC Classics Midsummer Nights Dream was awesome and the Kevin Kline- Calista Flockhart version was horrible. I suspect I'm in the minority there though.

Is this the one by J. Samuel Walker? Please post your review when you're done.

It is, I'm about halfway through. I expec to finish this week, next week at the latest, so I'll let you know.

The Physics one sounds interesting. Are you reading it for a course. Look forward to hearing what you think about The Genius book. On my wishlist.

The Physics one is for a course; it's an open course from UC Berkely - Physics for Future Presidents - Physics 10 on YouTube. I'm finding it really interesting but it will most likely be a couple months before I'm done. Either I understand physics a lot better than when I was in college or this is a better presentation, or both.

I've had the genius book on my list for a while as well. I hope it's good.

As soon as I finish The Inn at Angel Island by Thomas Kincaid and Katherine Spencer, I'll be reading a classic dusty and chunky book: Vanity Fairby William Makepeace Thackeray. Writing wise I'm reading The Writer's Journey by Christoper Vogler.

I read Vanity Fair a few years ago. I'll be interested to hear your opinions. Thackeray makes all these side bunny trails (if I remember correctly) and it really took away from the story. Cut those out and I enjoyed Becky's journey.

I would like to read this sometime this year. So Season 3 begins Sunday. I am so afraid of running into spoilers that I haven't searched this out. Did I hear the the Christmas episode already aired? Where does it fit into the scheme of things. Season 2 ended with a Christmas episode. I'm so confused!

Happy New Year to all the regulars and a warm welcome to the newcomers!

I might have to look into this one. Henry V was the one book I was surprised I liked from 2012.

Many here love this book. I couldn't even finish it. Crass and vulgar are two words that come to mind. I'm not sorry I took it back to the library unfinished :)

I'm still working on The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. Too much noise around the house for me to get settled into reading. Dd18 heads back to work tomorrow (she's a nanny for a teacher friend of ours so has public school schedule) and I will get back into the school routine with dd12 on Thursday. Hopefully, we have a calm and peaceful January and I can focus a bit on my Robert Jordan books.

:laugh: That's an understatement, imo. (Wuthering Heights was my most hated book of 2012. Ugh. What a despicable group of people.)

You've summed up my feelings on that particular classic very well. B/c he knows enjoy classics Dh always tells me if the movie Wuthering Heights is on cable. He keeps forgetting that I tell him he would have to pay me a hefty fee to sit through it! I need compensation for rereading it too!

Well the old back isn't too happy about lying about instead of moving, but no, that's not the trouble. I stepped outside the other day and didn't land in the standard fashion. So now I have pulled ligaments in my foot. Somehow I'm supposed to both get off my butt and live life, and sit on my butt resting so it will heal properly. So the plan is to sit on my butt as much as possible for the next two months, so I'm not damaging further at a faster rate than I'm healing. My mother did the same thing last year, didn't rest properly, and was still having trouble 8 months later. I don't think that is a good choice. So here I am, in bed, reading and writing a curriculum for next year. So I'm being productive, if not in a house worky way. I said "study" not study. :p This is my first encounter with most of the plays, so I read a kiddie version to dd, then read the original myself, then watch whatever movie versions I can lay my hands on. We watched about a dozen last year and only found one really good one. I'm open to movie suggestions from people who think the BBC Classics Midsummer Nights Dream was awesome and the Kevin Kline- Calista Flockhart version was horrible. I suspect I'm in the minority there though.

Rosie, I'm so sorry! I'm holed up on the couch with a pulled muscle in my back that is healing so. very. slowly. At least for me the xray showed no herniated disc. I'm feeling pretty useless, I need to find ways to be more productive like you.

The best Midsummer Night's Dream was performed at our local Shakespeare Theater group last year LOL! It was their traveling show done with only six of the cast members and very minimal props. There was not a one of us who didn't leave the theater with a sore stomach from laughing so hard! We also watched a version but I can't remember which one. I know it wasn't the Kevin Kline one, nor the Judi Dench one. A little too much skin showing for the boys in my Shakespeare group. Maybe it was the one with Helen Mirren as Titania.

How do you feel about Branagh? We loved Much Ado About Nothing, Henry V, and Hamlet.

Our Shakespeare group enjoyed Much Ado About Nothing and Henry V with Branagh. Though we skipped the intro of Much Ado because of the nudity (you know, the boys lol). I haven't seen the Hamlet with Branagh, but we all loved the Hamlet with David Tennant!!! Have you seen that one?! That man is AMAZING! My dd is so upset that he is not available for her to marry.

I am reading Shanghai Girls. It is not one I would've chosen, but my mom mailed it to me. It is culturally interesting!

I am also reading Odessey to the children for school.

Dh is reading Don Quioxte aloud before the children go to bed each night. I am totally counting it as I am listening in.

The other book I have started is the eBay Bible. I am hoping to sell the stuff I can't bear to part with. If it makes me $, then it has done it's job!

For general reading, I'm starting the year re-reading my very favorite author, Diana Gabaldon.

For the Canada challenge:

• Anne of Green Gables (which I've never read before)
  • Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat (on request at the library)

ETA: Realized I had the wrong Anne book listed. :)

I plan on a re-read of the Outlander series myself. I want everything to be fresh in my mind for when the next book comes out this year. So excited! I haven't gotten The Custom of the Army yet, but I hope to soon.

I'm rereading the HP series and am on Deathly Hallows. I haven't decided what to read next.

I'm brand new to this thread and really, really hoping that this will revive my love of all things books. :D

I just finished the sixth book in the Harry Potter series (for the first time!) and am getting ready to start Deathly Hallows. So far, I don't think I'm nearly as HP crazy as some of my IRL friends, but it has definitely been an enjoyable series. I just bought all of the movies on DVD (for $2 each!) and am excited to watch them after finishing up the last book.

I also like the idea that a PP mentioned of doing a book club with dc. My 8 year old ds is just venturing into reading bigger books. He has listened to The Mysterious Benedict Society several times and is trying to read the second book in the series. I have never read any of these books and I am wondering if I might quickly read the first one and then join him on the second one. Having a monthly "date" to discuss the book might really be fun. Anyone read this series? Is it enjoyable (for an adult)?

I'm thinking about putting the Space Trilogy on my list this year. We have the second two volumes and every time I'm at a used book sale I see them and can't remember which volume we need! I'll be interested to hear what you think. I'm not a big sci fi person but I generally like Lewis.

Well, I finished it today and I hated it. I'm not sure if that's a reflection on me or the book. I was just bored stiff. I don't know if I can plow through the other two or not. I've loved his other books............ just don't get it.

I would like to read this sometime this year. So Season 3 begins Sunday. I am so afraid of running into spoilers that I haven't searched this out. Did I hear the the Christmas episode already aired? Where does it fit into the scheme of things. Season 2 ended with a Christmas episode. I'm so confused!

The Christmas episode that just aired is from season 3. If you saw Season 2 and last year's Christmas episode, you should be all set for Season 3.

Well, I finished it today and I hated it. I'm not sure if that's a reflection on me or the book. I was just bored stiff. I don't know if I can plow through the other two or not. I've loved his other books............ just don't get it.

My daughter has read the trilogy and said the only one she really liked was Perelandra.

I have started "The Secret Keeper" by Kate Morton. I truly enjoyed her other books so I'm looking forward to finding some quiet time to read.

I have a couple of Erik Larson books ("The Devil in White City" and "In the Garden of Beasts") and "The Blue Castle" by L.M. Montgomery on my bedside table as well.

I lean toward nonfiction/educational books and this year I am trying to make myself "lighten up" a little and read some lighter fare...although my Larson titles do not fall into that goal. I love history and biographies though. :)

I did not buy anything at the book sale.

I am to chapter 9 in Wuthering Heights. I may have to have both a fiction and a non fiction going simultaneously.

Also, one of my goals is to read a few political books. Any suggestions, without breaking board rules? I used to be fiscally conservative, but have had to ditch that. I find the extremes of both major political sides abhorent. :leaving: So, suggestions? :boxing_smiley:

I forgot to mention that I'm listening to David Copperfield on Audible. I downloaded all the free Audible books that came with Kindle "purchases" and I'm working through them while running. Most of them are classics I've never read. I finished Wuthering Heights a few weeks ago. Normally I'm a big fan of English literature of that period but Wuthering Heights definitely left me scratching my head a bit.

Thanks for the tip! I've been wanting to try Audible while I'm on the elliptical, and this gives me the perfect excuse!

I also like the idea that a PP mentioned of doing a book club with dc. My 8 year old ds is just venturing into reading bigger books. He has listened to The Mysterious Benedict Society several times and is trying to read the second book in the series. I have never read any of these books and I am wondering if I might quickly read the first one and then join him on the second one. Having a monthly "date" to discuss the book might really be fun. Anyone read this series? Is it enjoyable (for an adult)?

Quoting myself here... :D

I just read through the sample of The Mysterious Benedict Society and really enjoyed it. I think I'll go ahead and read it so I can work through the series with ds. So I guess I'm doing a children's boom/YA thing right now (this book along with the HP series). Do these books count?

Many here love this book. I couldn't even finish it. Crass and vulgar are two words that come to mind. I'm not sorry I took it back to the library unfinished :)

Well I wouldn't call it crass or vulgur more like terrifying. I finished it today and I liked all of it but the ending. It's one of those opened ended endings and I just don't like them. I don't want to be left wondering what happened to her I'd much prefer to be told! I liked Moira much more than Offred who was way too wimpy and resigned for me.

I read more than 52 books last year but I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t keep up with participating in the thread. I often lurk on this thread though and get great ideas so I thought IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d give it a try again.

Still working on all things Thomas Cromwell...:

PT-AM704_BK_Cov_DV_20091009192537.jpg

How do you like it? I loved Wolf Hall and Bring Out the Bodies but I think they are probably love it or hate it kind of books.

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein featured in a number of best of 2012 lists, but knowing it would be painful, I've procrastinated, but now that I've started it has grabbed me by the throat and is inescapable.

This is a fabulous book! It was on my best of 2012 list.

I just finished Swim by Lynn Sherr today. I really loved it and it made me want to start swimming again (something I really love to do but havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t for awhile).

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m also reading: Let it Go by Karen Ehrlman, God in the Dock by C. S. Lewis and 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m reading The Two Towers with my oldest and listening to The Night Circus on audiobook in the car.

I read more than 52 books last year but I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t keep up with participating in the thread. I often lurk on this thread though and get great ideas so I thought IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d give it a try again. How do you like it? I loved Wolf Hall and Bring Out the Bodies but I think they are probably love it or hate it kind of books. This is a fabulous book! It was on my best of 2012 list. I just finished Swim by Lynn Sherr today. I really loved it and it made me want to start swimming again (something I really love to do but havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t for awhile). IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m also reading: Let it Go by Karen Ehrlman, God in the Dock by C. S. Lewis and 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m reading The Two Towers with my oldest and listening to The Night Circus on audiobook in the car.

So far, I'm loving Wolf Hall. It is such intricately-wrought historical fiction -- I see its beauty, but I'm not sure all would (esp. if you're not a fan of historical fiction).

What do you think of 1Q84? It's one I said I would read last year, but I never did. :cool: So, it is a must read for me this year.

I loved The Night Circus too. Such lovely descriptions....

I finished Wuthering Heights a few weeks ago. Normally I'm a big fan of English literature of that period but Wuthering Heights definitely left me scratching my head a bit.

I'm finding the more I think about this book after reading it the more I appreciate it. Like her sisters' books better.

Also, one of my goals is to read a few political books. Any suggestions, without breaking board rules? I used to be fiscally conservative, but have had to ditch that. I find the extremes of both major political sides abhorent. :leaving: So, suggestions? :boxing_smiley:

Well, I just started Politically Incorrect Nutrition which is about how politics influences what we are told what is healthy and unhealthy.

This is the first year I've had time to even think about joining the challenge but I've lurked for years. I've just started A History of Iran: Empire of the Mind to go with a new TC course, and will pick up one of the Anne of Green Gables sequels because I promised the daughter of a friend that I'd read more of them before our next visit. They're her favorite books ever!

Starting out with The Hobbit, a long lost favorite gathering dust. It seemed short enough not to be discouraging (though fellow Tolkein readers may be smirking at that presumption) and since I've heard many friends talk about the film and realized I'd forgotten there was a dragon involved, I thought it was time to refresh my memory.

You've summed up my feelings on that particular classic very well. B/c he knows enjoy classics Dh always tells me if the movie Wuthering Heights is on cable. He keeps forgetting that I tell him he would have to pay me a hefty fee to sit through it! I need compensation for rereading it too!

If there had been but one admirable character - just one! - that I could have latched onto.....

I am reading Les Mis right now. I wanted to try to get through it before it leaves theaters so I can see the movie after the book, just for the challenge of it, I think. I saw the play years ago. I am a little over 30% through according to my kindle app! I might have to give in and go see the movie first so I don't miss it!

I dropped out pretty early on last year, but I think I will try again in 2013. I am in the middle of a couple of books right now which I won't be counting as I started them in 2012. My first book for this year is The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. I am about a quarter of the way through and finding it intriguing.

Elaine

This will be my first year joining :)

Here is my current lineup. Life is still winding down this week so I am keeping the reads simple. I've got some good titles lined up next.

*Confessions of a Praire B*tch

*Merry Christmas Alex Cross

*The Sea of Monsters as a family read aloud

*Little Britches a read aloud with my older

*39 Clues series per my older's request (trying to read some of his suggestions this year)