Menu

Is there a way you can find out who gave you stars?

justamouse

I don't even understand the stars other than rating an actual thread.

I agree with you though. I hate the idea of Jr. High all over again and have posted far less with the new boards than before. It makes me very uncomfortable and makes the boards less welcoming overall.

My eyes hurt from rolling them so hard. Not at you, at the thought of how this new board is allowing us to revisit a middle school popularity contest.

Not everything in life needs to be rated...

That said, I may have just given you 5 stars :leaving:

My eyes hurt from rolling them so hard. Not at you, at the thought of how this new board is allowing us to revisit a middle school popularity contest.

Not everything in life needs to be rated...

:iagree:

I agree with you though. I hate the idea of Jr. High all over again

:iagree: I understand rating threads, but not people.

I agree with you though. I hate the idea of Jr. High all over again and have posted far less with the new boards than before. It makes me very uncomfortable and makes the boards less welcoming overall.

yes... I have no idea what that is... If I have any I don't think I know about it.

I am surprised at how inactive the boards are,. even after 3 weeks or so.

It wasn't me! I wasn't begging, really. If there is one thing having all of these kids has accomplished, it's my lack of caring about my own popularity. There's always someone pissed at me at any time. :laugh:

I was actually thinking about people who say things that other people don't like, and so in retaliation (7th grade all over again) they stalk the person's profile and give them a low rating...

So I was thinking that if a person could easily see who gave the stars and put two and two together...

I was actually thinking about people who say things that other people don't like, and so in retaliation (7th grade all over again) they stalk the person's profile and give them a low rating...

Oh, great. Now you've given me something to hope for!

I gave you a star too - I hope it's not a bad thing to do - I have no idea what they are for -but you seemed to want one :bored:

Well if you gave her one, that is actually bad! The stars work like the product ratings on Amazon: 5 is great; 1 is bad. Then the ratings are averaged.

Is the star rating that rectangular box in the upper righthand corner of your profile? Mine has a number.

That one -- the box to the right -- has to do with how many "likes" you've gotten on posts. And it also has a bunch of points from back when we had a point system that showed up right under your user name on every post you made.

It's interesting that people are getting wigged out about a system that so many other people don't even know exists. And people are finding out it exists due to the OMG this is so junior high I can't believe it sort of posts that keep popping up. I think in junior high the popularity points were very visible and very flaunted. On here you have to make a deliberate effort to find them.

I think there is something wrong with Mouse's stars. I gave her five and it showed five but when I looked back at her stars a few minutes later it was back to 4!

I think there is some grumpy old cat lady taking stars away to be vengeful.

Whoops! There go my stars. Oh, well. I never look at them unless it is mentioned on one of the boards.

It wasn't me! I wasn't begging, really. If there is one thing having all of these kids has accomplished, it's my lack of caring about my own popularity. There's always someone pissed at me at any time. :laugh:

So I was thinking that if a person could easily see who gave the stars and put two and two together...

Yeah, but some people have said things indicating that they misunderstood how the stars work, thinking that one would give a person "a star," not necessarily thinking that 5 is supposed to be best. So, even if you could see who gave you stars (can you? I don't know?) if you saw that someone gave you one, you might be getting all pissy at them over a little misunderstanding when, in fact, they thought they were being nice to you.

Can I just say, that THIS is why I think ratings are dumb? If the rating system isn't crystal clear to everyone, then it's just a big mess. I like the "like this" thing because you either click it or you don't. There isn't any "like this" and "like this a lot" and "like this the mostest bestest." Just a simple do or don't.

........ I didn't even know there were stars. Now I'm all self-conscious. Great.

Yeah.... me too. I saw the starts on top of threads but didn't know they were clickable-- I guess I just assumed the stars were based on the number of replies or views a thread has gotten. But I admit I haven't gone poking around the new board a lot. There are probably lots of people dissing me here and I don't even know about it! :-)

Not that I care...... seriously.

astrid

Ha ha ha! I just checked and I have ZERO STARS!! Does that make me akin to Typhoid Mary? Or the sophomore girl who picks her nose and has bad skin and doesn't wear Benetton? ;-)

Yeah....I just don't have enough brain matter to get all worked up about my starlessness.

astrid

[quote name=flutistmom'

timestamp='1355241049' post='4538939]

Well, let me state here and now that it is my policy to give 5 stars to everyone whose profile I visit! Just call me the Stardust Fairy.....spreading good cheer and happiness wherever I go! (Are y'all gagging yet? ;) ) Oh, except for Nono, and if she wants, I'll go sweep up the fairy dust and give her one star! :D

I found your new avatar for you:

[sneetchessylvestor_lg.gif

I could be way off here, but I assumed they were to rate a person in regards to buying/selling. So a good transaction would rate 5 stars. This way a person knows at a glace if they are buying/selling to a reliable person??

ahh, now things are coming together. Maybe that's it.

Even though this has been a fun thread...perhaps it needs to be moved to the tech board with the discussions about the upgrade?

Okay, someone who is tech-savvy needs to help me make this thing into an avatar! I have had my current one for nearly 4 years, and I think it's time for a change!

Right click on the image and "save image as". Save it to your computer where you can find it. Then go to your settings and click the change my photo. Upload the photo you saved and click save.

That ought to do it as I couldn't find anywhere else to change an avatar.

Right click on the image and "save image as". Save it to your computer where you can find it. Then go to your settings and click the change my photo. Upload the photo you saved and click save.

That ought to do it as I couldn't find anywhere else to change an avatar.

Thanks, Chucki. I'll give it a try!

And....ta-da! Wow. It's tiny, though. You have to really squint to see that they're Sneetches!

Thanks, Chucki. I'll give it a try!

And....ta-da! Wow. It's tiny, though. You have to really squint to see that they're Sneetches!

Oops, I knew it was going to be too tiny to make a good avatar -- I was just being silly.

But *I* can still tell they're Sneetches, mostly because I have the book on my desk right now. Dds are involved in Seussical the Musical, so we're awash in Dr. Seuss.

Oops, I knew it was going to be too tiny to make a good avatar -- I was just being silly.

But *I* can still tell they're Sneetches, mostly because I have the book on my desk right now. Dds are involved in Seussical the Musical, so we're awash in Dr. Seuss.

I can tell, too, so I'm happy with it!

Oh, how fun for your dds! Even as an adult, I love Dr. Seuss!

I used to be blessedwinter. I just discovered I have 3 stars. How can justamouse and Martha have more stars than me, they posted way more controversial stuff in recent threads than I did? :nopity: :p

It was 4 when I looked. Now you're 5.

Between the time you gave her 5 and I read your post someone dumped her back down to 4. I gave her another vote up.

Hmmm... Now when I just went to look again, it shows only 4. But I know it showed me 5 when I voted. Was it just showing me what I voted?

Eta: darn. You can only give stars once per person.