Menu

If you spent 4 hours making cereal

Χά�ων

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grandma had DS last night and stopped and bought Little Ceasers for dinner. She bought DS a sausage pizza. He brought the box in when he got home and it had 3 slices left. It was a 20 minute drive. An hour later he was begging for food. I am screwed when he gets to be a teen if he keeps eating like this.

I have a 4 year old that eats like this. It's scary. My 12 yo (girl) eats like this too. My 10 yo doesn't eat at all, so maybe I'll be able to keep the house, maybe.

:smilielol5:

My DH loves tools as much as the next guy. In fact, I think he is a tool hoarder. But I sincerely doubt he try to feed them to the kids!

Lol! I obviously typed this without my glasses. I had to put on my glasses to see my mistake. Of course, I have a son with a bottomless stomach, so I could imagine him eating an auger. A homemade auger, of course ;).

We're vegetarians, so "making grandma" isn't an option for us. :laugh:

I had this overwhelming desire to make granola this morning...usually I am too lazy, but I couldn't help myself (for some reason) today.

I really think if making cereal took 4 hours, I would resort to stealing it. You probably wouldn't even have to spend 4 hours in jail for stealing a box of cereal, ironically. You would probably get 1 hour of community service, so really it would be the least time-consuming thing to just steal it.

That's a really good suggestions for better time management. You might also get a volunteer job that involves walking so that would be your fitness for the day too. I might add 'steal a box of cereal' to my to-do list for the day.

I have to run, today is a busy day but is anyone still interested in the recipe that I completely screwed up?

Yes.

I'm not going to actually make it, but I might lie to people and say that I did, so it would be good to have the recipe in case someone calls me on it. :tongue_smilie:

I posted a recipe for quinoa grapenuts but I did not post the recipe for what I made this week.

Thank you for sharing the recipe!

I absolutely adore grape nuts but haven't had it since I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy 6 years ago. I love quinoa and can't wait to try this.

Here, the cheapest boxes are nearly $4 per box. My kids can put down one box a day, so that definitely racks up quickly. I have a very limited grocery budget and I'm not wasting that much money on something that only last ONE day! I make granola too. Here's the recipe I use.

Thank you!!! I couldn't read the whole thread, but I am so glad a recipe for granola showed up. I have never made it before & have been wanting to.

That's a really good suggestions for better time management. You might also get a volunteer job that involves walking so that would be your fitness for the day too. I might add 'steal a box of cereal' to my to-do list for the day.

Technically, if you ran away from the cops as they were trying to apprehend you, that would be your exercise for the day. So, if you just write on your to-do list, "steal a box of cereal" that would also save you having to write the word "exercise" on your list. I think it would also be your "socialization" for the day, and if your kids were there it could be "social studies" for them too. You're killing like 8 birds with one stone here.

Technically, if you ran away from the cops as they were trying to apprehend you, that would be your exercise for the day. So, if you just write on your to-do list, "steal a box of cereal" that would also save you having to write the word "exercise" on your list. I think it would also be your "socialization" for the day, and if your kids were there it could be "social studies" for them too. You're killing like 8 birds with one stone here.

That's just awesome.

I make a point of not getting emotionally invested in how my cooking/effort is received. If I spend 4 hours on cereal then I do it because it makes me happy to do so, or because I have no other choice due to my financial situation. I don't expect anyone to eat it or expect gratitude for my efforts. To do so is to live a life of disappointment.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

This thread almost made me choke on my kung pao chicken. Really it should come with a warning label!

Cereal here on sale can go down to 1.50-2.00 a box, so that is when i stock up. With coupons i've gotten down to .75/box.

If there is a homeschooler's membership card, i'm pretty sure mine would be revoked for letting the twins watch leapfrog videos while i teach the olders!

The nitty gritty how to screw up your Sunday afternoon:

Make 10 servings of oatmeal.

Attempt to find your food processor to puree the cooked oatmeal. (Hint: It is no where you look.)

Decide it really doesn't matter (it does!!)

Oil a baking sheet

Attempt to spread oatmeal as thinly as possible.

Attempt to bake until crispy.

Get impatient and grab a can of spray oil and spray the top.

Bake.

Flip.

Crumble (it needs to be small)

Vodka.

Repeat.

Get board and do laundry and check e-mail and facebook.

Forget about baking.

Go outside to do some yard work.

Break up dog fight.

Wrestle a dead mouse from dog.

Scrub hands.

Wonder what is burning.

Throw away batch of cereal.

Vodka.

Cook the remaining batches while sitting in front of the oven to minimize the risk of burning down the house.

The goal was that it would be more filling. It took forever (I should have looked harder for the food proccessor) but tasted fine. I actually really liked it which is part of the reason I was so pissed that DS poured it all into a bowl.

LOL!!!

I'm pretty sure you messed up the recipe because you needed more vodka.

And because probably not everyone knows this, I should point out that, because vodka is clear, you can substitute it in every recipe that calls for water.

Sometimes it works best if you still use the water in the recipe, and then just drink an equal amount of vodka.

I'm not sure why it works so well, but whenever you do that, you will discover that the finished recipe will taste much better than you'd expected.

It must have something to do with the water. ;)

And because probably not everyone knows this, I should point out that, because vodka is clear, you can substitute it in every recipe that calls for water.

So when I make jello shots I can completely subsititute vodka for water? No messing around with trying to find the proper water/vodka ratio? And ice cubes? I would hate for the vodka I will start putting in my waterbottle to get watered down.

What about for other things that are not cooking related such as the little bit of water I use to wet my toothpaste when I brush my teeth, is vodka ok to use instead?

So when I make jello shots I can completely subsititute vodka for water? No messing around with trying to find the proper water/vodka ratio? And ice cubes? I would hate for the vodka I will start putting in my waterbottle to get watered down.

What about for other things that are not cooking related such as the little bit of water I use to wet my toothpaste when I brush my teeth, is vodka ok to use instead?

There has to be water in Jello shots. It doesn't work otherwise.

... I mean. That's what I've heard. No personal knowledge. From college. At a party when I tried making them myself.

:smilielol5: :rofl: :smilielol5:

LOL!!!

I'm pretty sure you messed up the recipe because you needed more vodka.

Sometimes it works best if you still use the water in the recipe, and then just drink an equal amount of vodka.

I'm not sure why it works so well, but whenever you do that, you will discover that the finished recipe will taste much better than you'd expected.

It must have something to do with the water. ;)

:thumbup1: :lol: :laugh:

Forget the jello shots. Pour the vodka over a bowl of gummy bears and wait 24 hours. It takes longer than oatmeal, but you don't have to watch the oven. Make sure you keep YOUR gummy bears separate from the kids'.

There has to be water in Jello shots. It doesn't work otherwise.

Dang.

I will just have to drink vodka and pretend it is water while I am doing lesson plans. I wonder if math will be more fun this way.

Okay, this really happened.

Yesterday, I made granola. I had this strange hankering for homemade granola. This morning, DD pours herself some (and because she knows I am touchy that early in the morning) she eats it all while mentioning politely that it is a little bit bland. Then DH, who isn't remotely afraid of me, pours himself too big of a bowl (and this is AFTER ME TELLING HIM ABOUT THIS THREAD) and then declares that it is bland and he poured too much.

I still can't decide if he was being a typical man or thought he was funny....but I told him he did not want me starting a thread about him on TWTM and he better finish that bowl of cereal. That scared him straight.

Now I am wondering if I can use vodka instead of milk on my granola, only because I've heard the granola is too bland...

Ugh!!! Granola, I am making granola!! I always use my phone and it autocorrects things I spell correctly. I generally check, but I have a four month old and I just taught ballet for four hours. Lack of sleep and physical exhaustion....

My granola is yummy though. Not as sweet as my grandma. She gives sugars, but not the kind you eat :) (that is what she calls kisses).

I need an embarrassed smiley for this one...but again I am on my phone, this is the best I have :S

SOOOOOOOOO funny!!!! I haven't been here in days and was surprised to see the thread still going. And now people are making grandma?! :scared::lol::lol::lol:

Thank you for the laughs. This is my first day visiting the new forums and this was the perfect thread!

On a side breakfast note for momtoone...have you tried refrigerator oatmeal? Super easy for early mornings.

I always want to have ready oatmeal for breakfast for dh. Can you please share your recipe here? Thanks!

Man I go away for one day and I miss a perfectly good kerfluffle. Although I did get cupcake and champagne so I guess that makes up for it.

Now I will have to be motivated and make breakfast cereal. This really should have been about bacon. I can always get motivated about bacon.

Vegetarian bacon sucks.

I tend to start something else while it is in the oven and forget aout it until I smell it burning so I literally stay right there the entire time.

Perhaps for Christmas you could ask for a timer that you can wear on a chain around your neck. Other people use their phone for the same function . (haven't figured out how to insert smiley here on the new board)

Loving this discussion - thanks for raising.

Just wanted to post in the Great Cereal Kerfuffle. 1) I cannot imagine actively making anything for 4 hours. Yes, I do cook turkeys and use my lead-lined crockpot (crockpots should at least be mentioned in this thread), but those are pretty lazy. 2) My dh often buys my kids crappy auger-laden cereals like Pops and Frosted Flakes. Just take away my homeschooler card right now. 3) Cajuns dispose of dead bodies by taking them into the swamp. Anything can happen in the swamp. You want to dispose of a body? I can call my uncle and hook you up ;). 4) Vodka. Sigh. Enough said. 5) Tonight dh was in charge of dinner. We ate tater tots. Debate that one. Again, I forfeit my homeschooler card. 6) There just aren't enough kilts in this thread! You guys are slacking. 7) Editing number 5. It really should be "Rum. Sigh." Consider this my contribution to WTM infamy.

I think this might be my first for real Laugh Out Loud thread on the Hive. I've smiled and giggled a time or two, but this time I was smiling, snickering, giggling, then I got to Joanne's: Grape Nuts and Mental Nuts. It was all downhill from there, and I'm still laughing! Love this thread! I am constantly amazed at the things that turn in to hot topics. I've witnessed cupcakes and now homemade cold cereal. I sure would like to read the crockpot thread some day, but have no idea how to find it - especially with the new and improved search(less) boards. Our family at McRibs tonight for supper. Where do I send my homeschooler card for revocation?

I think instead of turning in our homeschooler cards we should just call it "Cultural Studies".

Now I am wondering if I can use vodka instead of milk on my granola, only because I've heard the granola is too bland...

Leave the granola for your ungrateful family to eat. It will serve them right for being so particular.

Go get yourself a couple of nice cupcakes.

And it would be a sin to let that vodka go to waste, so you'll probably want to drink that. Besides, eating cupcakes is thirsty work. :)

I always want to have ready oatmeal for breakfast for dh. Can you please share your recipe here? Thanks!

You can do the steel cut Irish oats in the crockpot overnight so it's warm and ready to go in the morning.

This is intriguing...

Equally intriguing is that you can soak a gumm bear in anything. Put the on rum and call them Rummy Bears. Got tequila? Use gummy worms instead.

You're welcome.

During math today DS insisted that a square only has 4 sides. I have no clue what he was talking about it clearly had 8 as it bounced around the page.

It took me way too long to get this and I didn't even have any rummy bears.

You can do the steel cut Irish oats in the crockpot overnight so it's warm and ready to go in the morning. Equally intriguing is that you can soak a gumm bear in anything. Put the on rum and call them Rummy Bears. Got tequila? Use gummy worms instead. You're welcome. It took me way too long to get this and I didn't even have any rummy bears.

Rum?! Rum is good. I can definitely get on board with rummy bears!

You are a genius. [we need a bowing smiley]

:iagree:

Thank you all for this thread. Not only do I not have to feel guilty about making our cereal from scratch, I got a good laugh, which I need right now.

I thought I'd share my oatmeal recipe (which is probably on the web somewhere, but I discovered by trial and error.) I have a gas stove that does not believe in "simmer" so rice and oatmeal are always burned to the bottom of the pan. Around the same time I discovered that my crock pot could be used for many more meals than I thought. So I decided to try oatmeal, but I don't function at night and my family gets up really early so "slow-cooking" isn't an option.

So I boil water (in the electric teakettle) and pour it in the crockpot with the correct amount of oatmeal and nuts. Turn it on low and it is ready in 30 minutes, but is good for about an hour more for the late sleepers. (I use 1 cup boiling water, 1/2 cup oatmeal and 1/4 cup walnuts for each serving. Flavorings are added by each person when they serve.)

Even cooler is that FIL bought us the little crockpot that is used for appetizers. It has three removable pots. If it is just ds, dh, and I, I can make a serving in each bowl and then we just eat out of those. Less to wash up.