Menu

So how do you think Princess Diana died?

Michelle My Bell

161 members have voted

1. 1. How did Princess Diana die?

• Taken out by the government
    • Taken out by the royals
    • Paparazzi
    • Accident
    • Drunk Limo Driver
    • Other

I found it intensely interesting that w/her death, Chuckie-boy went from being 'divorced' to a 'widower'. How that worked, I still don't understand...but I *think* that makes the diff btwn him being able to inherit the throne or not. (Granted, I'm basing this on the whole abdication for marrying Wallace Simpson issue, and that rule may well have been changed in recent yrs, I don't know). Found that very, very interesting.

I found it intensely interesting that w/her death, Chuckie-boy went from being 'divorced' to a 'widower'. How that worked, I still don't understand...but I *think* that makes the diff btwn him being able to inherit the throne or not. (Granted, I'm basing this on the whole abdication for marrying Wallace Simpson issue, and that rule may well have been changed in recent yrs, I don't know). Found that very, very interesting.

As I understand it, the official reason was that Church of England at the time did not allow remarriage after divorce. Edward could not marry Simpson and be head of the Church. However opposition to Simpson was pretty much across the board, and no one of importance except Edward was interested in solving his "problem."

I think it was a combination of factors. Paparazzi behavior along with intoxication of the driver caused the accident. Another factor is that Diana did not have a seatbelt. There was one person wearing a seatbelt in the accident--that person survived. The lack of restraint probably contributed to her injuries.

I do not believe in any conspiracy.

As I understand it, the official reason was that Church of England at the time did not allow remarriage after divorce. Edward could not marry Simpson and be head of the Church. However opposition to Simpson was pretty much across the board, and no one of importance except Edward was interested in solving his "problem."

Can I say how ironic I continue to find this as the entire reason for the founding of the Church of England was so that Henry VIII could divorce and remarry - multiple times!

Can I say how ironic I continue to find this as the entire reason for the founding of the Church of England was so that Henry VIII could divorce and remarry - multiple times!

But he didn't technically divorce either Catherine of Aragon or Anne of Cleves.

But he didn't technically divorce either Catherine of Aragon or Anne of Cleves.

Well, yeah, in the first case he strong-armed the Catholic church into an annulment, and in the second he just declared it himself as head of his brand-spanking-new church - the Catholic church wasn't going to keep giving him serial "annulments". Of course, there was always the beheading option...

But you think that would've at least set a precedent for kings granting themselves annulments based on personal desires and not any actual merit... the daughter of that first annulled marriage did go on to become Queen of England, so annulling must not preclude the children of the union inheriting the throne...

Oh, and sorry, have no definite opinion on Diana. Could be a combination of those things...

So, the fact that they weren't allowed to marry in the church, what impact, if any would that have on his ability to inherit the crown? As the so called head of the Church of England, shouldn't that be a bit of an issue?

I still think it's bogus that b/c Diana died, he was reclassified as a widower. He's not. They were divorced, the marriage didn't end w/her death.

So, the fact that they weren't allowed to marry in the church, what impact, if any would that have on his ability to inherit the crown? As the so called head of the Church of England, shouldn't that be a bit of an issue?

That almost certainly wasn't the real reason Edward had to abdicate. Simpson was strongly suspected that the time of the "crisis" of having ties to the Nazis. Given the couple's later actions, I find this to be a reasonable suspicion. No one wanted a marriage, even a morganatic one.

ETA: I don't think anyone has come up with anything so damaging against Camilla. :tongue_smilie:

I think it was a combination of factors. Paparazzi behavior along with intoxication of the driver caused the accident. Another factor is that Diana did not have a seatbelt. There was one person wearing a seatbelt in the accident--that person survived. The lack of restraint probably contributed to her injuries.

:iagree:

Guest submarines

I think her death was quite convenient for the Royals. I don't think this particular accident was planned, but I believe it is possible that people and events, and maybe even ideas were introduced to her in a way that would contribute to such an accident.

this. the poll only allowed one choice, but I think it was the combination of the paparazzi chasing her with a drunk driver. and the lack of seatbelt. (being flung into a seatback at 80mpg can do alot of damage.)

and my opinon of edward - It was fortunate for england to be rid of him.

That almost certainly wasn't the real reason Edward had to abdicate. Simpson was strongly suspected that the time of the "crisis" of having ties to the Nazis. Given the couple's later actions, I find this to be a reasonable suspicion. No one wanted a marriage, even a morganatic one.

ETA: I don't think anyone has come up with anything so damaging against Camilla. :tongue_smilie:

I was reading some things on simpson from her own writings in a UK paper, and it was almost as though she was just having lots of fun leading edward on - and was hoist by her own petard. considering the extensive letters she exchanged with her previous husband (for the rest of his life.) after marrying edward gives some credence to that theory.

:iagree:

I really don't think anyone was out to get her. I just think it was a combination of events. The press are so vicious it's ridiculous add that to condition of the driver and an accident is pretty inevitable.

As I stated in another thread (which I think got deleted? I could never find it again) I'm something of a conspiracy theorist, however, the princess' death is pretty straightforward-- she wasn't wearing her seatbelt during a high speed crash.

To wishbone (sorry, forgot to quote) it may seem tasteless but dodi's family has been wracked with grief and suspicion that this was some kind of conspiracy, and probably diana's family too. It's a question worth looking at.

I just don't see the conspiracy though. The royal family hated diana but they've always doted on the two boys and I can't imagine they would murder their mother for some kind of personal satisfaction. I also don't see dodi being muslim as a motivating factor, as he was not religious, and fabulously wealthy.

I think it was an accident, and it didn't help that they were going so fast because the p'razzi were chasing them.

I didn't realize their limo driver was intoxicated.That certainly would cut down on one's reaction time.

And the seatbelt thing, too, could have led to more extensive injuries.

I don't believe it was a conspiracy, that the p'razzi was made up of both reporters and assassins, or that the driver was paid to hurt/kill/cause a fatal accident. I don't think the royals would do that to the boys.

The part of the funeral that got me the most was seeing the flowers on the casket that said, "Mummy." :crying:

As I stated in another thread (which I think got deleted? I could never find it again) I'm something of a conspiracy theorist, however, the princess' death is pretty straightforward-- she wasn't wearing her seatbelt during a high speed crash.

To wishbone (sorry, forgot to quote) it may seem tasteless but dodi's family has been wracked with grief and suspicion that this was some kind of conspiracy, and probably diana's family too. It's a question worth looking at.

I just don't see the conspiracy though. The royal family hated diana but they've always doted on the two boys and I can't imagine they would murder their mother for some kind of personal satisfaction. I also don't see dodi being muslim as a motivating factor, as he was not religious, and fabulously wealthy.

Pretty much all of the above. I don't think England's royal family could have pulled it off. The gov't might have, but the gov't had no real reason to.

Which actions? Sorry, I don't know much about what happened to them after the abdication.

Edward was in contact with Germany after Britain had declared war, and is on record as having some said horrific things, even implicitly supporting the Blitz. They kept contact with Nazis and Nazi sympathizers (they were married at the estate of someone who killed himself rather than be brought to trial after the war). The FBI determined Wallace was passing secrets via dry cleaning she had sent to New York while they were "exiled" to the Bahamas.

I have either heard or read somewhere that there was a deal that if the Nazis had been successful in their attempt to invade England, Edward would have been reinstated as king. That could have been complete fiction, though. Maybe I saw it in a movie. :confused:

Ish. There were plans to kidnap them when they were in France, but to what degree the couple may have been complicit is unknown (though it is known they were in contact with the Nazis at this time).

I was reading some things on simpson from her own writings in a UK paper, and it was almost as though she was just having lots of fun leading edward on - and was hoist by her own petard. considering the extensive letters she exchanged with her previous husband (for the rest of his life.) after marrying edward gives some credence to that theory.

What was it she wrote, something like "How can a woman be a whole empire to a man?" Telling. And she was cheating on Edward before they were married. Still, she stayed with him until she died.

Pretty much all of the above. I don't think England's royal family could have pulled it off. The gov't might have, but the gov't had no real reason to.

I don't see that anyone stood to benefit.

Car accident caused by aggressive paparazzi? I was only 15 when it happened, so I wasn't too aware of the surrounding factors at the time.

There's a simple algebra problem in there. I was twice your age at the time of her death.

I believe she was hunted by the paparazzi and their pursuit of her car caused her death. I think it was convienent for Charles and his mother because Diana outshone him every single day and he looked like an unlikable nerd who didn't have the wits to marry the woman he truly loved the first time.

I believe she was hunted by the paparazzi and their pursuit of her car caused her death. I think it was convienent for Charles and his mother because Diana outshone him every single day and he looked like an unlikable nerd who didn't have the wits to marry the woman he truly loved the first time.

Convenient that the mother of his children died and he had to deal with their grief?

I think a lot of this stuff where Diana is cast as the angelic figure in contrast to Charles as villain is, well, dumb. It was more complicated then that, it always is. Especially when one person is heir to the throne and destined to be the head of a church.

I don't think there's a villain in this piece, just a lot of unfortunate circumstances and fallible humans.