Menu

Elf on a Shelf? Explain

Walking-Iris

Could someone explain what this Elf on a Shelf stuff is about? I saw random references to it last year. I'm curious what it is. Does it come from a book? Movie? Where do people get that elf?

From my understanding it does practical jokes?

I think this could be a cute thing to add to our Advent days.

Ideas? Links?

Here's a link to the commercially available book and elf set:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Elf-Shelf-Christmas-Tradition/dp/B000XR6MBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354209418&sr=8-1&keywords=elf+on+the+shelf

People do different things with them, but what we did was that, every night, the elf would be sitting in his rightful place on the fireplace mantel... but by morning he would be gone, and my ds would have to find him and see what kind of mischief he'd gotten into during the night.

Sometimes "the elf" would toilet paper the Christmas tree. One night he got drunk and passed out next to an empty wine bottle. Another night, he ate too much and was on the couch, surrounded by empty candy wrappers and a bottle of Tums.

If you do a search for Elf on the Shelf, there are threads about it here every year, and those are where I've gotten most of my ideas.

Our elf is sometimes more evil than naughty, but hey, I have a ds who thinks it's hysterical when the elf is up to no good.

So the elf is rather harmless but the discussion that followed on this forum was not? :lol: Why does this not surprise me??

Really, it all depends on what kind of elf you get. Some of them are just naughtier than others. ;)

But you should do it. It's so much fun! (And if I were you, I wouldn't bother spending the $29.99 -- you can probably pick up a Christmas elf in almost any store at this time of year, and if you want to read the book, your library probably has it. The book is short and not that incredibly great, anyway -- in our house, it's all about the elf getting into mischief.)

I updated my previous post with more details about our elf.

So the elf is rather harmless but the discussion that followed on this forum was not? :lol: Why does this not surprise me??

I don't know about any discussion here. I just find them creepy, creepy, creepy.

I bought this elf on Amazon a few weeks ago (for those of you who don't want to click the link, it is a plush Elf on the Shelf and only cost $12). I think my kids will receive their elf this Saturday. However, since we don't have the book, I don't really know the story behind the elf. I mean, I know he is supposed to watch over the kids and report back to Santa, but I don't know how to tell the kids the part about him getting into mischief each night (or is that just something I surprise them with?). I have also heard that the kids aren't supposed to touch the elf...what is the story with that?

Thanks!

We love our elf. it is one of our favorite Christmas traditions. He used to just move every (okay, most) nights, but then he started leaving notes, getting into messes, etc., and last year he went all new media on us and got a Facebook page. He uses Facebook to report into Santa or to let his FB buds know what he is up to. He frequently speaks very highly of Mrs. [insert my last name here] on Facebook. Some of the things he has done:

made a helmet out of an egg carton and a seat belt out of a camera strap so that he can ride with our newly-permitted driver;

taken pictures on the digital camera of what he was up to during the night--kissing my oldest's picture, making a snack, playing on the Wii;

inserted himself into a frame ornament on the tree;

gotten into pie in the fridge;

been attacked by the dog (in the dog's defense, the night before, the elf had been found head down in a gigantic jar of jellybeans and no doubt smelled like Jelly Bellies) and put the dog's name on the naughty list until 2014;

announced himself "in a relationship" on FB when he developed a crush on the Advent elf;

inserted elf words into one child's spelling list;

revised school assignments to focus on elf history, science of elves, elf literature, etc.

put graffiti on the mirror or school chalkboard: "Elves rock!" "[Elf name here] for President," etc.

gotten a head start on Christmas cookie baking;

asked Santa whether he is responsible for reporting on the new fish members of the household, 'cause one of them bullies the other fish;

pulled underwear out of the drawers

That's a sample. Over the years, our elf has developed quite a personality, and his FB posts are very well received. His handwriting isn't that great, what with his hands being sewn together and all, so he can be more expressive on FB. Last year, he overslept Christmas morning and missed his ride back to the NP, so in addition to filing his final report on the kids, he asked his FB buds for a ride back to the NP, even offered to chip in for gas. No word on whether he got any takers.

Terri

I love your ideas, Terri -- and I'll definitely be stealing at least a few of them to use with our elf!

Our elf has taken hostages (stuffed animals or the cat) and left behind sinister, threatening ransom notes. He also decided to end it all once, when he hung himself on the Christmas tree with a long piece of silver garland. (He left a tragic suicide note behind.) One night, he left a blackmail note, demanding cash and goodies from ds in exchange for a "nice" report to Santa.

In case you haven't guessed, our elf is immortal, so no matter what hideous fate befalls him, he's always ready for more action the next night.

Obviously, we didn't do this kind of stuff when ds was little -- the elf just hid in different places or ate too much candy or something -- but as ds got older, we were able to get more... ummmm.... creative.

Our elf has taken hostages (stuffed animals or the cat) and left behind sinister, threatening ransom notes. He also decided to end it all once, when he hung himself on the Christmas tree with a long piece of silver garland. (He left a tragic suicide note behind.) One night, he left a blackmail note, demanding cash and goodies from ds in exchange for a "nice" report to Santa.

In case you haven't guessed, our elf is immortal, so no matter what hideous fate befalls him, he's always ready for more action the next night.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I can not WAIT until my kids are old enough to do this with. Oh the fun we will have. Ours just does mundane things, like sneak my coffee, make snowflakes and leave the mess everywhere, etc. I LOVE the random note idea!!

Here's a link to the commercially available book and elf set: http://www.amazon.com/The-Elf-Shelf-Christmas-Tradition/dp/B000XR6MBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354209418&sr=8-1&keywords=elf+on+the+shelf People do different things with them, but what we did was that, every night, the elf would be sitting in his rightful place on the fireplace mantel... but by morning he would be gone, and my ds would have to find him and see what kind of mischief he'd gotten into during the night. Sometimes "the elf" would toilet paper the Christmas tree. One night he got drunk and passed out next to an empty wine bottle. Another night, he ate too much and was on the couch, surrounded by empty candy wrappers and a bottle of Tums. If you do a search for Elf on the Shelf, there are threads about it here every year, and those are where I've gotten most of my ideas. Our elf is sometimes more evil than naughty, but hey, I have a ds who thinks it's hysterical when the elf is up to no good.
We love our elf. it is one of our favorite Christmas traditions. He used to just move every (okay, most) nights, but then he started leaving notes, getting into messes, etc., and last year he went all new media on us and got a Facebook page. He uses Facebook to report into Santa or to let his FB buds know what he is up to. He frequently speaks very highly of Mrs. [insert my last name here] on Facebook. Some of the things he has done: made a helmet out of an egg carton and a seat belt out of a camera strap so that he can ride with our newly-permitted driver; taken pictures on the digital camera of what he was up to during the night--kissing my oldest's picture, making a snack, playing on the Wii; inserted himself into a frame ornament on the tree; gotten into pie in the fridge; been attacked by the dog (in the dog's defense, the night before, the elf had been found head down in a gigantic jar of jellybeans and no doubt smelled like Jelly Bellies) and put the dog's name on the naughty list until 2014; announced himself "in a relationship" on FB when he developed a crush on the Advent elf; inserted elf words into one child's spelling list; revised school assignments to focus on elf history, science of elves, elf literature, etc. put graffiti on the mirror or school chalkboard: "Elves rock!" "[Elf name here] for President," etc. gotten a head start on Christmas cookie baking; asked Santa whether he is responsible for reporting on the new fish members of the household, 'cause one of them bullies the other fish; pulled underwear out of the drawers That's a sample. Over the years, our elf has developed quite a personality, and his FB posts are very well received. His handwriting isn't that great, what with his hands being sewn together and all, so he can be more expressive on FB. Last year, he overslept Christmas morning and missed his ride back to the NP, so in addition to filing his final report on the kids, he asked his FB buds for a ride back to the NP, even offered to chip in for gas. No word on whether he got any takers. Terri

We have two elves (not Elf on a Shelf). They do these ^^^ kinds of things, getting into mischief every (most) nights.

Our elves are Annalee elves. I like them because they have heavy wire in their bodies that makes them easy to pose and hang on things. I got ours at Macy's but I know they have them at our local garden/gift store that sells Department 56 and other holiday stuff.

http://www.annalee.com/store/Christmas-Elves

ETA - getting a lot of good ideas from this thread. I was already out of ideas for this year and it's not even December yet.

I don't know about any discussion here. I just find them creepy, creepy, creepy.

I feel the same way. Ds and I were joking about how creepy it would be to have one in every room and tell little kids that santa sent his elves to watch them and see how they are behaving. You know, so that they were always being watched by the creepy elf. I know, we are a little sick.

I've seen a LOT of ideas for it on Pinterest. A lot of "learning" things for it, too. Personally I think the elf itself looks creepy, and since we're not "doing" Santa or anything like that we're not going to do something like this.

It kind of loses something if you've never done Santa.

That one really is cute!

Of course, if he was our elf, I would feel more than a little guilty about sticking him head-down in the blender with a "goodbye, cruel world" note taped to the outside, so maybe it's better that we stick with our somewhat insane-looking elf (and his twin elf, who often accompanies him on his adventures.)

DH's family is big in the Elf on the shelf, but we don't focus on Santa here and so choose not to do the elf.

For us, Christmas is about Jesus, who came to save his people from their sins, to rescue those who cannot save themselves.

The whole point of Christmas, is that we are not good and we need a Savior!

So to me the Elf is really anti-Jesus and promotes an understanding of the holiday that, while common, is totally opposite of what we believe and what we want our children to understand.

This is great. I finally decided to get one this year -- my boys are 7. Planning to have him show up Sat morning (12/1). I've found lots of fun ideas on Pinterest. I'm planning to start with him writing out "Be Good" with M&M's. I've also seen where the elf is zip-lining from somewhere to the tree hanging from a candy cane, hanging underwear in place of stockings, having a snow ball fight (using cotton balls and I'm planning to get my son's star wars figures for that battle), sipping chocolate milk with Barbie (I can't do that one because I only have boys :-), reading to a group of Pez dispensers, etc. Looks like fun and I'm finally in the mood to give this a try.

Anyway, how do you initially introduce him? Maybe read the book tonight or tomorrow and have him show up on Sat morning? Do your younger kids see the elf box it comes in or do you hide the elf to only bring out for the days you decide leading up to Christmas?

For us, Christmas is about Jesus, who came to save his people from their sins, to rescue those who cannot save themselves.

So to me the Elf is really anti-Jesus and promotes an understanding of the holiday that, while common, is totally opposite of what we believe and what we want our children to understand.

Sounds like the Elf is definitely not a good choice for your family! :)

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a religious debate, though, because I truly don't believe anyone is trying to be actively anti-Jesus by doing Elf on the Shelf, or Santa, or any number of other holiday traditions. It's just for fun, and if it works for your family, that's great -- and if it doesn't, that's fine, too.

Sounds like the Elf is definitely not a good choice for your family! :)

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a religious debate, though, because I truly don't believe anyone is trying to be actively anti-Jesus by doing Elf on the Shelf, or Santa, or any number of other holiday traditions. It's just for fun, and if it works for your family, that's great -- and if it doesn't, that's fine, too.

I didn't intend to fuel debate or be a grinch! Sorry if I came across that way!

I did intend to highlight that even seemingly just for fun things can carry significance and can teach, whether we intend them to or not. Theology is everywhere! ;) :D

The things I noted are observations I came to over time with input from other Christians and I might be helpful to others.

I didn't intend to fuel debate or be a grinch! Sorry if I came across that way!

No -- you definitely didn't come across that way at all!!! It's just that I was afraid that, if the wrong person read your post, they would see it as an angle with which to turn the thread into one of those huge trainwreck "SANTA IS EVIL AND SO ARE ALL OF THE PARENTS WHO LIE TO THEIR CHILDREN ABOUT HIM" threads... and those never end well. People end up getting their feelings hurt and it's usually all because one person was looking for a reason to start a battle. And to be honest, I don't even think some of the pot-stirrers even believe what they're ranting about -- they just want to start trouble.

You are always very nice, and I absolutely didn't think you had any kind of bad intentions, and I'm sorry if I sounded like I did! :)

That one really is cute!

Of course, if he was our elf, I would feel more than a little guilty about sticking him head-down in the blender with a "goodbye, cruel world" note taped to the outside, so maybe it's better that we stick with our somewhat insane-looking elf (and his twin elf, who often accompanies him on his adventures.)

Bwah hahahahaha!

Sometimes "the elf" would toilet paper the Christmas tree. One night he got drunk and passed out next to an empty wine bottle. Another night, he ate too much and was on the couch, surrounded by empty candy wrappers and a bottle of Tums.

Sounds like I've been sleepwalking to your house, and the elf is getting all the credit....

Dh said today that the elf was preparing children to live in a police state where the government is always watching.

He was kidding, of course... mostly.

Has he checked for cameras? Ds mentioned the same thing. Now I'm wondering ...was he serious...or not? Hmmm...

DH's family is big in the Elf on the shelf, but we don't focus on Santa here and so choose not to do the elf.

Awww, you're just crabby 'cause the Vols suck this year. But at least they're not anti-Jesus. Now Bama, on the other hand, I think we can agree that Bama is anti-Jesus.

Terri

My house is messy enough already. I don't need another elf to clean up after! ;)

I've been wondering about this... Who does the clean up? Mom, since no one is supposed to touch the elf? :001_rolleyes:

I'd really like to do this in some fashion. We've never done Santa, and the naughty one would have to be a gnome...an Elf around here is a completely different entity. But I've been thinking about it a lot. Since I have zero desire to do anything else for the holidays...this at least would be new and exciting. :ph34r:

Awww, you're just crabby 'cause the Vols suck this year. But at least they're not anti-Jesus. Now Bama, on the other hand, I think we can agree that Bama is anti-Jesus.

Terri

Hey now, Terri. . . . .

I'm gonna sick Remudamom on you ;)

Them's fightin' words.

(And as a UConn basketball fan? Not a Vols fan here.)

Really, it all depends on what kind of elf you get. Some of them are just naughtier than others. ;)

But you should do it. It's so much fun! (And if I were you, I wouldn't bother spending the $29.99 -- you can probably pick up a Christmas elf in almost any store at this time of year, and if you want to read the book, your library probably has it. The book is short and not that incredibly great, anyway -- in our house, it's all about the elf getting into mischief.)

I updated my previous post with more details about our elf.

Yeah any elf will do. Our elf looks almost exactly like the actual elf on a shelf but he is very very old. He was bought for my mother when she was a little girl and now he is ours. The really crazy thing is he has left letters for the kids saying he will keep an eye on them and about two years ago in the middle of summer we were at a flea market and up in a glass case my kids saw an identical one to ours and they all got a big kick out of that. They caught him watching!!

I'm not a fan of Elf, because he looks creepy to me. Plus, I don't have the energy. We do the Nauty Leprechauns for St. Patrick's day and coming up with stuff for that is exhausting. The leprechauns have turned our sofa over, rigged confetti to fall on Indy when he opened his door (mistake-what a mess), turned the toilet water green (every year), put plastic over Indy's door (awesome!), built forts out of blankets and chairs, stolen stuff from Indy's room and hides it, and so on. All that is a lot of work, especially the clean up. I don't think I could handle the Elf.