Menu

How do you pronounce the name MICAH?

How do you pronounce the name Micah?  

1. 1. How do you pronounce the name Micah?

• My-Cah
    • Mee-Cah

Guest submarines
I figured it's provably MY but I really like MEE. Would it be weird to use MEE for a boy?

I'm thinking this would also make it easier for my German family members to pronounce.

I like the MEE too! But that's probably because English isn't my first language. Also, as far as I know, the original pronunciation would be with "mee".

Micah was my top boy name for at least three kids, with the biblical pronunciation.

I've never known anyone with the name, so I guess I don't know how others pronounce it. I would be surprised to hear something other than the biblical pronunciation just b/c I would assume anyone using that name picked it from the bible.

I've only ever said, or heard it said, My-Cuh. That said, I did know a Micheal (Mick-EEL). I thought he was kidding, but no, that was his name.

:blink::svengo:

I figured it's provably MY but I really like MEE. Would it be weird to use MEE for a boy?

I'm thinking this would also make it easier for my German family members to pronounce.

How sensitive are you about mispronunciations of names? I'm going to guess almost everybody will call him "MY cuh" which could get aggravating if you want it to be pronounced MEEK uh.

How often will he see his German relatives? Would it be a big deal if he was MY cuh and they called him MEEK uh? Diamond was called an interesting Russian pronunciation of her name by her ballet teachers, and we found it charming rather than annoying.

I usually see Mee-kah spelled Mika (like the singer).

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=EaEPCsQ4608&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEaEPCsQ4608

Edited by Mrs Mungo

"My-cah" in the States, at least.

We have a friend with a Jewish ex-wife, and their son together is Mischa, which is "Mee-sha". (Our friend calls his son "Mike," though.)

I suspect one would say "Mee-cah" in German. When I was in Austria in the 80's, I met several "Mee-kee-ell"s ("Michael"s), at least one of which said his mother named him for "Mee-kee-ell Yak-sone" (Michael Jackson)!

He gets called Michael a lot, but corrects them. And it's often misspelled Micha, which confounds me. But in his nearly 9 years, he's never been called Meekah.

:iagree: I also have an 8 year old Micah, who is almost 9 (December). We do get Michael and Micha (spelling). I think the Micha spelling is people starting Michael.

I voted in both your polls. :D My ds has never had his name pronounced with MEE. Like some other posters, it has been misspelled Micha or misheard as Michael, but never mispronounced.

However, now that you mention German family, I remember a little girl whose parents were both German born whose name was pronounced MY-kah but it was spelled totally different. Meike, maybe?

My name is Micah (yes, I'm female). I've only heard one or two other females with the name. I pronounce it MY-cah. Many people mispronouce it mee-cah, but I have often assumed that's because I'm female and Micah is usually a male name so they are putting a more feminine sound to it. I know one child with the name Mika and she says it mee-cah. I think in the US, the pronunciation is generally My-cah, especially for a boy.