Menu

Dog behavioral people: what do you think of this?

Well, I would have just used his collar to guide him off the bed. And I wouldn't have encouraged that behavior in the first place (just like how I might think a smart comment from a preschooler is cute; but I wouldn't let HIM know it, if I could help it, because it wouldn't be cute the 50th time). But it looks harmless. He's not growling angrily, more like chortling, backtalking, whiny "but mom, I don't waaaaaaaanna..." I think it has become a game after all this time. She obviously doesn't feel threatened by his behavior. I think it just sounds "scarier" because he's a big dog.

Not an expert, but that looks just like our game of "get off the couch". Once I say, "Down" the dog gets off immediately and knows the game is over. That owner and dog are just playing.

:iagree: IF this is just a game, it wouldn't concern me. We used to play games like that when our dog was still with us. We'd play "Whose stick is this?!" and games like "keep away" and other silly things. She knew by tone of voice when the game was over and it was time to obey.

Now, if the owner was giving actual commands in the video and that dog wasn't listening? Yeah, big problem. But it looked more like a game to me.

That dog is playing. My dog plays rough with me but knows the code word for "stop". I'm betting this is just a put on.

:iagree:

Totally playing. The way she stuck her hand by his mouth to be licked was a bit of a tip-off.

The barking and growling just sounds like he is a very vocal dog.

They are playing - but it's not a very good game. :glare:

The dog is doing a typical play bow ( rear end in the air - tail wagging) so he isnt' being aggressive here, but by playing that way with him she could be asking for real trouble later with dominance issues. And with a dog that size it is just a bad idea.

Uh, no. Completely unacceptable, and fairly dangerous when you have such a large dog.

I'm sticking by my statement in the face of a vast sea of disagreement. ;)

I agree with you!

I thought it was strange how that woman got down in dog's face.

They are playing - but it's not a very good game. :glare:

The dog is doing a typical play bow ( rear end in the air - tail wagging) so he isnt' being aggressive here, but by playing that way with him she could be asking for real trouble later with dominance issues. And with a dog that size it is just a bad idea.

:iagree: that this dog is just having fun--his body language is all play, not aggressive. However, that said, I have 4 big dogs, all friendly, all good dogs, but I would never play a game like that, especially on something so clearly my territory as my own bed. It's just not a good precedent to set, for you or the dog.

:iagree: that this dog is just having fun--his body language is all play, not aggressive. However, that said, I have 4 big dogs, all friendly, all good dogs, but I would never play a game like that, especially on something so clearly my territory as my own bed. It's just not a good precedent to set, for you or the dog.

Total play. I love how vocal he is, my dobie talks to me all the time.

But you don't let your dog on your bed.

Totally a game, and by repeating the command over and over and over the owner has taught the dog not to listen the first time, or second or third..... She has trained him to play a game. While the dog is being disobedient, that owner trained the dog not to listen. Also, the tone of her voice wasn't firm for that dog. Mastiffs are huge and need firm, strong owners willing to commit to proper training early on, establishing pack leadership from the get go. I'm no expert but I saw NO signs of aggression at all. If the dog was growling, it wouldn't be wagging his tail and looking happy like that dog was.

My blackmouth cur talks like that daily. He is SO excited to see us in the morning! When we wake up, the mastiff is crying out in excitement from her crate, and the BMC is waiting at the top of the stairs. He talks to us like that for minutes because he is so happy to see us. I love him so much and every morning with our puppies is a COMPLETE joy. And I hate, hate, hate mornings!

From the dog's body language he clearly thinks it's a game, as does the woman But it's a very stupid game to be playing, IMO. You could use that video to define "clueless dog owner."

(And note I'm far from being one of the alpha crap mumbo jumbo people. I don't believe my dogs are out to dominate me and/or take over the world, nor do I believe there's a thing wrong with most dogs being on the bed. But I do believe they need to understand that when I give a command they're supposed to obey. It's unsafe and unfair to the dog to expect him to obey in most instances but to make a game of not obeying in another instance.)

Edited by Pawz4me

They're just playing. The dog is just "pretending" to be aggressive.:) They probably play that all the time. I bet the dog knows when she's serious though.

:iagree:My Dane wouldn't have played that game: he'd have been mortified to do that, but my Shep-x-Ridgeback would have absolutely had the moral sense to pull this off for fun. She never did with me, but with a big strong man she could pretend to be murderous. One of the great things about her is that she played *exactly* up to the strength of the creature she was playing with: "They that have the power to hurt, and will do none...." I never doubted her safety and sense.

:iagree:My Dane wouldn't have played that game: he'd have been mortified to do that, but my Shep-x-Ridgeback would have absolutely had the moral sense to pull this off for fun. She never did with me, but with a big strong man she could pretend to be murderous. One of the great things about her is that she played *exactly* up to the strength of the creature she was playing with: "They that have the power to hurt, and will do none...." I never doubted her safety and sense.

:iagree: Our boxer plays with dh and it is terrifying - if you don't know that he's playing. He's very vocal (we call him Chewbaca) and loves to 'box'. He is very strong and could knock me over - in fact, when we first got him he did try to play with me and I ended up on my rear. After we made clear that wasn't ok, he hasn't even attempted it once. He has never, ever even pretended to pull that with the kids though. He's never taken a nip at dh either. He will slobber all over dh play biting, but his teeth have never touched skin. The second we say stop, he sits down and stops. I've never been scared, even when the dog is playing with little bitty people. The biggest danger is him accidently bumping into a toddler and knocking them down, but it isn't because he isn't being careful, he's just big.

I agree, on all counts! That dog clearly enjoys the game, and she's playing along with her cooing voice. It's a bad idea, but I don't think she's in any danger.

From the dog's body language he clearly thinks it's a game, as does the woman But it's a very stupid game to be playing, IMO. You could use that video to define "clueless dog owner."

(And note I'm far from being one of the alpha crap mumbo jumbo people. I don't believe my dogs are out to dominate me and/or take over the world, nor do I believe there's a thing wrong with most dogs being on the bed. But I do believe they need to understand that when I give a command they're supposed to obey. It's unsafe and unfair to the dog to expect him to obey in most instances but to make a game of not obeying in another instance.)

:iagree:exactly. I have no issue with the dog on the bed, or playing, or whatever. He's not being aggressive. But it could cause confusion for the dog and confused dogs are not good.

:iagree: Our boxer plays with dh and it is terrifying - if you don't know that he's playing. He's very vocal (we call him Chewbaca) and loves to 'box'. He is very strong and could knock me over - in fact, when we first got him he did try to play with me and I ended up on my rear. After we made clear that wasn't ok, he hasn't even attempted it once. He has never, ever even pretended to pull that with the kids though. He's never taken a nip at dh either. He will slobber all over dh play biting, but his teeth have never touched skin. The second we say stop, he sits down and stops. I've never been scared, even when the dog is playing with little bitty people. The biggest danger is him accidently bumping into a toddler and knocking them down, but it isn't because he isn't being careful, he's just big.

We have 3 big dogs, two of which are BIG. Loki doesn't get on the bed when anyone is home, but the other two would totally play this game and been fine with it. My biggest and oldest is too old to play at all anymore but she used to have a grand ol' time talking back and bouncing around.

Edy our youngest, the lab and heeler mix, is super playful, she talks, bounces, mouths and it looks terrifying when her and I play. She looks like she might be trying to bite my arms off, and sounds like she is an angry rabid bear. But there is never so much as a red mark, and her body is totally relaxed. She knows that when I say enough, it is game over and time to go on, or have a snuggle. The one time she did knock me over it was by accident and she was beside herself groveling and licking and talking while licking her lips.

She plays with DS too, but is much more gentle and all he has to do is say stop and she lays right down. She also allows the cats to play and make out with her and wind through her legs without even blinking.

I also don't worry about my face being near my own dogs faces, we do head bumps as affection, and top of the nose kisses, and Edy is so soft I have been known to rub my face on her :D.

Other peoples dogs...no way!!!

I'm kind of taking offense at all the people saying that this is a stupid\dumb game to play with a dog. I guess I'm stupid\dumb for playing it with my dogs.:glare::confused:

My dogs know exactly when I'm playing and when I'm not. There is no confusion ...ever. When I play-wrestle with them they get very excited and might seem to someone outside our family to be getting very aggressive, but once I give the command "Stop", they stop immediately and come in close for cuddles and kisses. These dogs won't even engage in this type of play with the kids...even when the kids try to get them to. If dd goes to Finris and ruffles the fur on his neck up, which is how I initiate the game, he will flop over on his back as if to say, "Nope, not playing that with you, but you can rub my belly."

Now, I have had dogs in the past that I would NOT play this way with...they didn't have the intelligence or temperament for it.

Hmmm, guess I'll just go on playing these stupid\dumb games with my dogs in ignorant bliss.:tongue_smilie:

Absolutely not a good idea.

That the dog is wagging his tail is not an indication that he is playing.

The owner doesn't describe it as a game. She says at the beginning that this is what she "has to do" every night so she can go to bed. She's made some terrible dog-owner decisions. Too bad for both her and the dog. I see an upcoming episode of the Dog Whisperer. :glare:

But I do believe they need to understand that when I give a command they're supposed to obey. It's unsafe and unfair to the dog to expect him to obey in most instances but to make a game of not obeying in another instance.)

Just to address this...my dogs respond to specific commands. When they hear them they know I mean business.

We have no idea what happened in that person's home once the video camera was turned off. She might have given a specific command and the dog immediately jumped off the bed. Dogs trained for movies do this all the time. Are there clueless dog owner's out there who probably shouldn't play these games with their dogs? Yes. Are there some dogs who shouldn't play these games? Yes. However, there are some dogs and owners who can, safely.:001_smile:

Just to address this...my dogs respond to specific commands. When they hear them they know I mean business.

Our dog does not understand English; she has set command words and they have one meaning. If you tell her "down" when she is up on furniture she will lay down because that is "down" to her. If you want her to get down on the floor then the command she will instantly obey is "off."

I'm sticking by my statement in the face of a vast sea of disagreement. ;)

I'll join you in that sea.

Dogs don't only wag their tails when they're playing

He is not "bowing."

This is a bad idea, even if--and I'm not agreeing that it is the case--they are playing. It's a bad idea. The human is giving the dog the idea that he owns the bed. He does not. The human does. If the human isn't having problems already in other areas, then she will at some point.

I think it is a bad choice of a game. The dog is sending mixed signals -- play body language, but growling . . .

If it were me, I would never allow the dog to growl at me. My dogs get their asses whooped if they growl at a person. (Asses whooped being generally yelled at & distanced/rejected visually, not actual beating, but more effective than beating!) B/C of this, they have each maybe growled at people a handful of times when they were young, and that's it. They may be irritated, try to pull away/resist, but they NEVER growl or bare teeth at a person.

The rest of the behavior is play-like. In this case, I think the dog could quickly be taught not to include growling in the game. But, if they let the growling continue, they are desensitizing THEMSELVES to a vital warning sign of aggression. And, they are confusing the DOG, too. Very dangerous, IMHO.

If it were me, I would never allow the dog to growl at me. My dogs get their asses whooped if they growl at a person. (Asses whooped being generally yelled at & distanced/rejected visually, not actual beating, but more effective than beating!) B/C of this, they have each maybe growled at people a handful of times when they were young, and that's it. They may be irritated, try to pull away/resist, but they NEVER growl or bare teeth at a person.

There is a school of thought that says you should never correct a dog for growling. Growling is one very valuable way your dog communicates with you. A growl can say lots of things to a savvy owner. Teach a dog not to growl and you take away the dog's ability to communicate effectively. And in the worst case scenario you end up with a dog who aggresses with no warning at all, or warning signs so subtle the average pet owner would never notice them. Every time I hear someone say "the dog just bit w/o warning" I wonder if the dog had been corrected for growling. Work on correcting the reason for the growl. Not the growl itself.

Thanks. I was curious. I didn't know if it was like a game of tug-of-war where it could be giving the dog mixed signals. I wondered about the growling and whether it was okay to encourage that. Quite ignorantly, when I was younger, I had a wonderful dog (Weimaraner/Dalmatian mix) and I could elicit a growl from her at any time by touching her with my foot . I could touch her with my hand any time any way, but not my foot. I used to think that was funny. I never was afraid she would bite (obviously or I wouldn't have done it) but I wouldn't do that now. So I was curious when I saw this video.

I'm kind of taking offense at all the people saying that this is a stupid\dumb game to play with a dog. ]

I just think they never had the good fortune to have such a wonderdog as my girl Alex. She read people like a map.

Or maybe we've worked with enough people who thought it was an okay game for their wonderful, smarter-than-any-other-dog-ever-born . . . until it wasn't.