Menu

but you must need some sort of certificate to teach.....

That's what I heard from my mom about 5 times over the last 2 times I saw her. We haven't spoken in 10 months (I posted about it in previous threads), but I've seen her twice now in the last few days and that's what she asked me repeatedly.

I understand people not getting that I can be a "teacher" without a degree in teaching, but after I answer your question once, do NOT ask me about it again! :glare:

Anyone want to give me a good come back for when she asks me a sixth time? :D

I presume your mum was a qualified Speech Pathologist before she taught you to speak?

And a Pysiotherapist before she taught you to walk?

Does she hold grief counselling qualifications for when your first pet died?

There is no way she would have attempted toilet training you without all the relevant police checks I hope?!

Did she keep her qualifications up to date?

Ask to view her certificates etc.

You could have fun with this...

"Well, I do have her/his birth certificate. Surely, that will do."

:lol: Great minds think alike. This was my first thought as well.

I presume your mum was a qualified Speech Pathologist before she taught you to speak?

And a Pysiotherapist before she taught you to walk?

Does she hold grief counselling qualifications for when your first pet died?

There is no way she would have attempted toilet training you without all the relevant police checks I hope?!

Did she keep her qualifications up to date?

Ask to view her certificates etc.

You could have fun with this...

:iagree: For real! I'm shocked I've kept these people alive for so long without a proper parenting certificate. Boggles the mind.;)

You could print out your state's homeschool law with the relevant text highlighted, but it doesn't sound like even something official would convince her.

Oh, I doubt it would. I'll bet that "but don't you need some sort of certificate ..." really means, "I don't think you're qualified to teach your kids, but I'm going to be passive-aggressive about it rather than coming out & telling you what I *really* think." Especially given the repeat performances.

A witty retort is not the way to handle this. It will just keep the conversation ongoing. This conversation needs to be shut down.

"Mom, I answered this question. We don't need to repeat this. Would you like some bean dip?"

:iagree:

It is fun to think up the witty retorts, but they don't really help the situation.

Bean dip...and carry on. It does not matter what she thinks, aside from how you feel. It's hard when your mom is critical of you, but you can't make parenting decisions based on what she thinks. (Understand, she probably views your decisions as a statement on *her* parenting of you, especially decisions that veer so far away from her own...so be gentle, but firm.)

When my children have done this to me (usually a problem when they're about three or four years old) I tell them calmly: "I've already answered that question."

I wonder if that would work?

I tell my kids "Asked and answered." Drives them nuts.

I agree that you should just tell her that she has asked that already, and you have answered it. Let's talk about something else now.

Put on a sympathic face, pat her arm, say "Bless your heart! Short term memory loss is scary."

:lol::lol: I literally LOLed. Love it! This is the winner of the thread. Very close runners up were the birth certificate and the list of professional titles - speech pathologist, physiotherapist, etc.

It sounds like there is a lot more going on in your relationship with your mom. But with my parents, who don't always get it, I do try to answer the legitimate question behind the question. So for me, I would want to answer what I do think is a legitimate question that a grandparent would have about my ability to handle the subject matter and to manage behavior. So I would tell them, "A teaching certificate primarily teaches someone how to manage a classroom and how to teach a large group of children with varying ability levels. The teaching I do in homeschooling is more akin to tutoring where I don't need those same skills. I do need good books on subject matter and I have that. And I need good parenting skills to manage and direct my own children so that they will listen and learn and I have that too."

I have one. I was investigating how to become a substitute teacher in my state. Apparently all you have to have is a GED or high school diploma. In my city, you only make 60 a day so I have decided it isn't worth it to pursue this after my youngest graduates. (I have advanced degrees and think I can put my education for more money than less than 10/hr and with less hassle too)>

It sounds like there is a lot more going on in your relationship with your mom. But with my parents, who don't always get it, I do try to answer the legitimate question behind the question. So for me, I would want to answer what I do think is a legitimate question that a grandparent would have about my ability to handle the subject matter and to manage behavior. So I would tell them, "A teaching certificate primarily teaches someone how to manage a classroom and how to teach a large group of children with varying ability levels. The teaching I do in homeschooling is more akin to tutoring where I don't need those same skills. I do need good books on subject matter and I have that. And I need good parenting skills to manage and direct my own children so that they will listen and learn and I have that too."

I think what puzzles people about the teacher qualifications is that they wonder, If a person has to go thru college and specific teacher courses in order to teach public school, why don't homeschooling parents? I think it's a legitimate question. They are really asking, What do they do in those college courses, anyway? :001_smile:

So it's more a question about becoming a school teacher than about being a homeschool mom.

They seem to think, Well, if it's just a matter of picking up and using a teacher manual for each subject, why do people spend all that time and all that money in college to learn to do that?

Jean's answer is a good one, I think, for those that are genuinely asking, not being snarky. There's anxiety behind the question, imo, when it's asked by a parent or grandparent or good friend--someone who is genuinely concerned about the welfare of the child. Learning that teaching your own child is different than teaching a classroom full of kids is a GOOD thing.