Menu

Watched the Breakfast Club last night

I was in 11th grade when this came out and felt like they got the idea of each character from people in my HS. I thought it was a great movie for many reasons, but then I was looking at it with teen eyes and maturity. Watched it last night and was bristling with all the red flags going off...

-8hr unsupervised detention

-two of the kids should have been expelled for the infraction that got them -detention (gun to school and physical injury to another student)

-teacher bullying

to name just a few.

With schools being such a police state now, detention like this would not happen (I hope). But putting all the wrongs about this movie aside, is the student population in high school still a defined grouping as stated in the movie? Are there new groupings?

Side question, it was revealed at some point in the movie why each was in detention except John(?) the thug (princess went shopping, brain had a gun, jock was a bully, crazy girl had nothing else to do), why was he in detention?

Side question, it was revealed at some point in the movie why each was in detention except John(?) the thug (princess went shopping, brain had a gun, jock was a bully, crazy girl had nothing else to do), why was he in detention?

He pulled the fire alarm. I'm not sure what the new groups are in high school. I'd have to ask my girls. I seem to recall oldest dd saying something about the emos when she was a freshman because she had a couple of emo friends.

I watched it a few years ago and it struck me as very 80s. It seemed pretty quaint and innocent. I mean, the lipstick trick? The angst over virginity? The kissing? But I sort of have a special place in my heart for those teen 80s movies. I need to watch Ferris Bueller again, and the other Molly Ringwald movies.

I watched it a few years ago and it struck me as very 80s. It seemed pretty quaint and innocent. I mean, the lipstick trick? The angst over virginity? The kissing? But I sort of have a special place in my heart for those teen 80s movies. I need to watch Ferris Bueller again, and the other Molly Ringwald movies.

For the most part quaint and innocent, even the big bad criminal kid just pullled a fire alarm (forgot about it till pp reminded me), but the description of the bulling...to me that was far from quaint, or the brainy kid thinking suicide because he got an F...pretty heavy topics. But John Hughs seems to have captured the mind set of the 80's child, 16 Candles is an example and gives the feel of what a typical 16yr old girl was feeling no matter how silly. We seem to be on an '80's movie kick right now so guess I need to shut the adult brain off and tap into my inner teen child self again.

There must still be

cheerleaders, preps, stoners, farmers/country, druggies, gangsters, band kids

Love those 80's movies! They definitely had real to life aspects and some exaggeration, but overall, I think they were harmless, as people didn't seem to be committing mass murder like they are today. :glare:

I can quote every single line from that movie. :D

John Hughes was the best!

Detention at my school is not sitting in a room. It is a few hours of hard, physical labor under the supervision of the facilities director.

In public schools, bullying like that and far worse is alive and well. And there are still the popular kids, the jocks, the stoners, the band geeks, emos, etc. Not much has really changed.

For the most part quaint and innocent, even the big bad criminal kid just pullled a fire alarm (forgot about it till pp reminded me), but the description of the bulling...to me that was far from quaint, or the brainy kid thinking suicide because he got an F...pretty heavy topics. But John Hughs seems to have captured the mind set of the 80's child, 16 Candles is an example and gives the feel of what a typical 16yr old girl was feeling no matter how silly. We seem to be on an '80's movie kick right now so guess I need to shut the adult brain off and tap into my inner teen child self again.

Yeah, you're very right about those two aspects. I forgot about those. Apparently Judd Nelson bullied Molly Ringwald on the set --?! I definitely think bullying was not taken seriously in those days.

It did get an R rating, wow. I wouldn't have guessed.

He pulled the fire alarm. I'm not sure what the new groups are in high school. I'd have to ask my girls. I seem to recall oldest dd saying something about the emos when she was a freshman because she had a couple of emo friends.

Why do I have a niggling thought in me that the Judd Nelson character is there by choice (nothing else to do so he shows up at detention)? Is that a different movie?

16 Candles was my favorite movie in high school. I probably watched it a hundred times back in the day on VHS. I probably taped it from the TV! I need to go back and watch Breakfast Club again. Is it rated R?

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Elise in NC

The BC is R rated, but I think it is rated wrong, maybe PG 13. We watched 16 Candles the other night and I was :blink:, it is rated PG and has a full body naked scene with a girl in the shower while Molly R. discusses her b**bs.

it was the Ally Sheedy character that had nothing better to do so she came to detention.

The thing that always struck me was the bullying of that teacher/principal. He never tried to relate or understand; just labeled the kids - period. Judd Nelson's character was clearly abused by his father, but no one knew that; they just labeled him as trouble.

Great movie for sure!

The BC is R rated, but I think it is rated wrong, maybe PG 13. We watched 16 Candles the other night and I was :blink:, it is rated PG and has a full body naked scene with a girl in the shower while Molly R. discusses her b**bs.

I think those movies were made just a short time before the PG-13 rating was added.

I remember finding the TV version entertaining, with "Eat my socks!" and the like.

I think those movies were made just a short time before the PG-13 rating was added.

I remember finding the TV version entertaining, with "Eat my socks!" and the like.

Aw, those are great, especially when you see the mouth moving in a totally different way.

I wish I could watch the afterschool specials.

I know, right?? I didn't remember that from when I was a teen and I happily sat down with d14 to watch it several weeks ago. Both of our jaws hit the floor at that scene. Good grief!!

This past weekend we watched Pretty in Pink. It still had s*x and drinking but it wasn't so graphic as 16 Candles.

I know, right?? I didn't remember that from when I was a teen and I happily sat down with d14 to watch it several weeks ago. Both of our jaws hit the floor at that scene. Good grief!!

This past weekend we watched Pretty in Pink. It still had s*x and drinking but it wasn't so graphic as 16 Candles.

We watched it with ds 16 and dd 8...dd is a little miffed her ds saw what a naked lady looks like and has been lecturing me since.

Pretty and pink is next on our list.

So what other '80 movies should we add to our viewing? I can only think of a few that stick out there.

16 Candles was my favorite movie in high school. I probably watched it a hundred times back in the day on VHS. I probably taped it from the TV! I need to go back and watch Breakfast Club again. Is it rated R?

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Elise in NC

:iagree: right- don't always go by ratings. If I recall correctly, Footloose was PG. :blink:

Diamond is loving the 80s movies.... favorite is Pretty in Pink. I want to let her watch Breakfast Club- was the swearing as bad as I remember?

I LOVE Say Anything.

From 16 Candles

Mom to son- "Don't you have something you want to say to your sister?"

Son - "Are you kidding, where should I begin?"

Mom - "Today is Sam's birthday and the whole family forgot."

Son - "Ha, ha, ha.....classic"

Edited by Dad 4 Boys

So what other '80 movies should we add to our viewing? I can only think of a few that stick out there.

Better Off Dead with John Cusack.

I am an 80's baby and I L.O.V.E. The Breakfast Club. It is one of two of my all time favourite movies. My other fav is The Labyrinth.

Other 80's movies I can think of...

Pretty in pink (love Ducky)

16 candles

Don't tell mom the babysitter's dead

Back to the future,

Valley girl

Flight of the navigator

Girls just wanna have fun

Rad (bmx movie)

Dirty dancing

Ferris buellers day off

Plus heaps more I can't think of...

Isn't Emo short for emotional? As I understand it, the emo crowd is similar to goth, though more whiny :D I'm old!

Emos also have hair that covers their face, usually facial piercings, make up/nail polish (eventhe guys!!!), some are cutters, they wear tight black jeans and are generally whiny, angry, wo-is-me etc.

I can't remember what we've seen, but the first ones I can think of:

Weird Science

Back to the Future

War Games

Real Science

Try: 100 Greatest Movies of the 1980s

My very first date at the young age of 10 was to see War Games. And no, my mom had no idea that my boy friend's mom was only dropping us off and not staying with us.

I am so saving that link!

Better Off Dead with John Cusack.

I :001_wub: Better Off Dead. The kids and I laugh our heads off every time we watch it.

One of my favorites from the 80s was For Keeps. Or at least I think that's what it was called. It starred Molly R. as a pregnant teen.

Loved all those movies I really need to rent them again. I've been watching Anthony Michael Hall's Dead Zone series. Ally Sheedy guest stars as an "old high school friend" and it really took me back. (It was supposed to, of course, they had a reunion in the library and it was full of the 80s tunes.)

From 16 Candles

Mom to son- "Don't you have something you want to say to your sister?"

Son - "Are you kidding, where should I begin?"

Mom - "Today is Sam's birthday and the whole family forgot."

Son - "Ha, ha, ha.....classic"

:lol:

I can't remember what we've seen, but the first ones I can think of:

Weird Science

Back to the Future

War Games

Real Science

Try: 100 Greatest Movies of the 1980s

Thanks for the link

Adventures in Babysitting...but it has language, too. I remember one line: "Don't f--- with the babysitter."

When I was at Target the other day, someone in the next aisle was ranting about what a great movie that is. I have rather fond memories of it myself.

You know, we were shown Howard the Duck at school. It has nudity in it!

:iagree:

Pretty in Pink and Breakfast Club were my favorites. I still can quote them almost verbatim. I always looked forward to watching these with my boys when they get older. I think they will have lost their magic by then and I will just get, "oh, mom, what a lame movie". Breaks my 80's heart!

For me, the Brat Pack movies were just "ok". I loved St. Elmo's Fire though. When I think back to the 80s, I think of Nightmare on Elm Street, Top Gun, and Dirty Dancing.

God help me here, but I bought tickets to Rick Springfield's Hard to Hold three weekends in a row when it first hit theaters. A few years ago, my dad gave me the DVD for Christmas. I don't think I've even taken the shrink wrap off of it. LOL

For me, the Brat Pack movies were just "ok". I loved St. Elmo's Fire though. When I think back to the 80s, I think of Nightmare on Elm Street, Top Gun, and Dirty Dancing.

God help me here, but I bought tickets to Rick Springfield's Hard to Hold three weekends in a row when it first hit theaters. A few years ago, my dad gave me the DVD for Christmas. I don't think I've even taken the shrink wrap off of it. LOL

I watch Dirty Dancing every time I come across it. We had our sorority formal at Mountain Lake Resort in the "Nobody puts Baby in a corner" room. I also love Top Gun. One of these days Goose is going to survive the flat spin.

I was with them all the way with The Breakfast Club, being myself an angsty teenager. Sure, I didn't actually find the stereotypes to accurately portray the kinds of people I met in high school. But I was sympathetic to the characters as they were. Right up until somebody said, "Maybe when you grow up your heart just dies." Even the brooding self-righteous child that I was I threw my hands up, "Oh, for crying out loud!"

Otherwise, you know, an enjoyable film.

Breakfast Club was so good. I thought the stereotypes were perfect, at least according to my general area. But I was at the bottom of the food chain in High School, so the jocks probably looked more jockish, and the preps more preppy. Ally Sheedy's character and I were a lot alike, aside from our choice of beverage. I was 'A Pepper'.

My favorite is Pretty in Pink. Although how she could afford an Alpine stereo for her car, I'll never know. As a redhead, I am a big Molly Ringwald fan.

Not a redhead here, but I loved Molly Ringwald.

When my girls put on the American Girl Molly movie, it always makes me do a double-take that she plays the mom! I mean, hey, I'm still a teenager. . .isn't she, too? :D