Menu

Swimming lesson.. Is this typical expectation.

jennynd

My daughter is in a YMCA swimming lesson. This is for age rang 2 to 5. The level 1 is really to get in water without crying and ask for parents. The level 2 is what I have problem. At this level, all the kids are still on belt, and to graduate the level, they will be still on noodle. The problem I have is one of the passing criteria to to jump in the water. My daughter simply will not do it. For me, I just don't understand why is that a passing criteria. I send my kid to learn how to swim, not jump in water. Is that a typical expectation in swimming lesson when the kid still don't even swim independently and only 2-5 years old?

My daughter is in a YMCA swimming lesson. This is for age rang 2 to 5. The level 1 is really to get in water without crying and ask for parents. The level 2 is what I have problem. At this level, all the kids are still on belt, and to graduate the level, they will be still on noodle. The problem I have is one of the passing criteria to to jump in the water. My daughter simply will not do it. For me, I just don't understand why is that a passing criteria. I send my kid to learn how to swim, not jump in water. Is that a typical expectation in swimming lesson when the kid still don't even swim independently and only 2-5 years old?

Yes, its typical. I'd have expected it for level one really. I suspect it is largely a safety issue - you really can't have a child who is afraid to jump in going farther in the lessons. Falling into the pool and getting your face in the water can happen even with a flotation device and a panicked child is not a good thing.

We never did a course with passing levels like that, but it was a typical expectation when my kids were little.

The way they taught it was to be able to jump in and grab the side or a parent. I thought especially for pre-swimmers who might fall in, teaching that "grab the side" instinct made a huge amount of sense. Later on, to pass a swim test, kids usually have to jump in and swim a lap and tread water, so the jump in thing isn't going away.

It is an expectation at our YMCA lessons. I would look into why she won't jump in, there could be a variety of reasons and it would be helpful to pinpoint so you can correct it. One of my DD's finally had to have nose plugs to jump in the pool, and she still wears them to this day or she won't put her head under water, another DD won't even enter the pool area without goggles on. :lol:

I don't know what a belt is. My kids only used a noodle once, and that was on the last day of level 3, while in the deep end. I had a kid who didn't like to jump in, but the instructors sort of catch them in level 1, and they get lots of practice, not just one time. They use kick boards for practice.

So weird that you posted this just now when I am thinking about our YMCA swim lessons.

I am actually very disturbed by our swimming lesson (3 of my kids are/were in polliwog which I think is what you mean by "level 2"?). My YMCA doesn't share with the parents what are requirements, so I couldn't even tell you. (Did they tell you??) But it sounds similar. My 5, 8, & 9 yr olds are in Polliwog which sounds like your Level 2, and my 4 yr old is in Pre-Pike I think (?).

Anyway, what I am extremely unhappy about is that at my kids' YMCA lessons, they asked the polliwog kids to jump in the DEEP END (10 feet) with only a noodle under their arms. The instructor is "near" but not within arm's reach at all. And they were asked to do this at Lesson #2!!! of polliwog. This is a *beginner* class. :confused:

Are your kids jumping in the deep end, or the shallow end with the noodle?? And mine are NOT wearing a strapped-on flotation device... Just jumping in the deep end with a flipping noodle. It makes me VERY nervous.

And I will tell you my horror story while I'm at it (like I said, weird that you posted this because I am wondering what other YMCAs do)... Again, on Lesson #2 of polliwog, my 9 yr old was using a *kickboard* and I believe all the kids were asked to swim from the shallow end to the deep end. All the other kids had a noodle but for some reason my 9 yr old had the kickboard. Well I was watching all my kids like a hawk because, for several reasons & what I saw going on, I was nervous. Well, sure enough, I look over to find my 9 yr old and he still has the kickboard and is going UNDER the water. I see him going down, down, down as he's trying to get to the side of the pool, but couldn't quite reach. I stand up and look at the instructor and she's already telling the lifeguard to "get him." Thank the LORD, this happened right in front of the lifeguard's chair (about 6 ft deep), so he got out of his chair quickly and reached down and pulled my son out (with the help of the instructor, as she had gotten over there by then). My son sat on the side and coughed and of course I was horrified. He didn't look great and though he wasn't under there "long," he wasn't prepared to hold his breath at all (nor have they even been instructed on how to do so yet). I asked what happened and he said his legs were getting tired and he started going under and he couldn't say anything. He had a bad headache for an hour and a half and seemed a bit sickish. The lifeguard was clearly shaken up because he was no longer sitting in his chair like he always does. He stood up the rest of the lesson and paced back and forth watching everyone.

Anyway, so then I'm thinking WHY ON EARTH was my kid using a kickboard and asked to go that far on day 2 of polliwog? And why was he in the deep end AT ALL on Lesson #2?? If I had known what was going on, I would have known there was no way he would make it that far and that it was very dangerous. But I couldn't hear what she was asking them to do.

Well, long story long I called the Y and talked to the lady at the front desk and also to the Aquatics Director. I could tell the Director wanted to get me off the phone stat, and I wonder if it's because she knows I could cause trouble. I am TICKED, even moreso now that she was not assuring me that my kids will not be in the deep end again until they can swim well. :confused: I don't know if she didn't want to admit she was wrong, or if she really thought this was OK, or what. And I really wanted my kids to learn to swim, and I told her I was paying hundreds of dollars for this kind of thing NOT to happen, so I didn't have to worry. Now my kid is terrified to go to the Y again, and I can't blame him.

At my Y, it seems they are NOT careful about assessing the children's skills and progressively working on skills in a logical manner. Jumping in the deep end with a flipping noodle that can slip away? What's the point in being in the deep end at all when this class is for "children who are inexperienced and/or uncomfortable in the water"? Jumping in the shallow end, like right in front of the instructor, I can understand. One at a time, get used to. But the deep end? With a noodle? On Day 2?? :confused:

Point being: BEWARE, and be careful. I have totally lost trust in my YMCA's swim instruction and it makes me sad and super disappointed. Now I feel the only way I can not have a heart attack while my kids learn to swim is to teach them myself in grandma's pool one at a time.

Anyway, I hope I didn't hijack your post. Definitely let me know how your Y compares! I am very curious.

I wonder if every Y does it the same way, or if it's up to the particular Aquatics Director at each Y. I am one unhappy customer.

Do you get any other swim practice time with your daughter other than swim lessons? My son was terrified to jump in (to put it mildly) for his physical therapy sessions, and this is how we eased him into it:

Stage 1: have him sit on his fanny on the pool deck, I put my hands under his armpits and spring him into the water (no face wet). Big hug! Yay!

Stage 2: Stand on edge of deck, toes over edge. Grab my hands (I am in pool). Jump out away from deck, while I hold hands, no face in water. Big hug. YAY!

Stage 3: Stand on edge of deck, toes at edge. I am close to edge, but far enough away to encourage him to jump away from edge of pool. I catch him under armpits as he enters water. Still no face wet. Big hug. YAY!

Stage 4: Like 3, but I catch him a little lower down in the water. Big Hug. YAY!

Stage 5: I stand farther away. He has to land in water unassisted, but then I grab him right away. Face might get wet. Big hug. YAY!

Stage 6: I stand about the same place. He lands in water unassisted, has to grab ME (don't wear a bikini unless you are in a really private pool). Face will get wet. Big Hug! YAY!! Go out for ice cream.

Stage 7: Stand farther away. Jump in, has to paddle 2 or 3 strokes to reach you. Big Hug! YAY!! Brag about performance at dinner table. Your kid's performance too.

My formerly screamed like he was being axe-murdered kid is now working on his breast stroke and swim team dives, despite fighting motor apraxia and other issues, and loves to play in the pool. The above took him months, not days. It takes other kids minutes. Your kid will work on her own time table.

This is really a safety issue because you are also sending your child to learn what to do, not if she jumps in the water, but if she falls in the water. I put my kids in group swim for level 1 and then pay for private lessons until they can fall in the pool and swim to the side in deep water. The private swim instructor has the kids take off their googles, fall into water where they can't touch the ground, surface to take a breath, swim around her and back to the side of the wall without help. She calls it a "safety circle". Once my son could do that I put him back in group lessons.

Yes, it's pretty normal.

That said, I would not do preschool swimming lessons unless I actually had a pool at home (and then I'd consider the more controversial infant swim lessons where they learn to roll and float for safety/self-rescue). In my experience, the money and time spent on the year or two of swim lessons at preschool age can be saved... the same skills can be learned in a few lessons at age 6 in the school aged program. There is a developmental readiness that makes learning to swim kind of a waste for many little kids.

Pretty sure its normal. However, Im not too thrilled with the Ys system for evaluating kids swimming skills. Our co-op has swim class every monday and I have basically just enrolled dd for the fun of being in a pool for 45 min. through the winter months.

Last session she was very nervous in the water. She had quite the scary experience the summer before. She would clutch onto the instructor, she wouldn't go under, etc.

Then this summer we went on a 2 week vaca in Florida, started in Disney and let me tell you.. she was like a whole different kid. Jumping in, swimming underwater, jumping in the DEEP END, letting dh throw her and dunk her. So Im pretty confident she will skyrocket passed a couple groups in swim class right? Wrong.

Yeah she doesn't have to wear a life jacket. Woo.Hoo. But other than that shes in a group way below her ability. So like I said, shes basically enrolled just to be able to have a 45 min romp in the pool every week.

ETA: Im sure I started this post with a point to make... :) I obviously lost it somewhere along the way:lol:

Edited by BlessedMomma

No idea if it is normal or not, but we quit private lessons at one pool over the same issue.

I think it is a completely ridiculous expectation. When you have an SPD kid (as in our case) or a kid who is afraid of just getting in the water, there is no way you are going to get them to jump in and go under early on. Would you rather have them not jump in or quit swim lessons altogether? Because sometimes those really are the options. They are definitely never going to learn to swim if they quit over this stupid jumping in requirement. I could go on and on about this...

I have found most Y's and Red Cross certified facilities follow a similar progression. I tried them one summer and vowed to never do that again. I had a 3 year old that could swim 15 yds while holding her breath, no problem. Her only problem was learning how to come up for air. I enrolled her at the local pool, thinking then we could move on to the swim team. They put her in Level 1 because she didn't know how to float on her back. I was so upset. Looking back now though, I can understand that in a group lesson situation, the instructor really needs everyone to have the same skill set. It makes it much easier for them to teach if they know everyone can do X and needs to learn Y. It also makes the kids safer, as the instructor knows how attentive to be.

One Level builds upon the next one and there's no place for a varied skill set. Private instructors can work with your child individually and know what needs to be developed and what they already have mastered.

That being said, we paid for private lessons for my then 4 year old with my kids swim coach. He spent literally the first 2 lessons teaching my son to get out of the pool without using the ladder. The reason? He wanted him to be able to get out of any pool he fell into accidentally without needing a ladder. A lot of those beginning swim lessons are about safety and learning how to get out of the pool before you necessarily have swimming skills. I guess more than swimming lessons, they are water safety lessons.

I think being able to jump in indicates they aren't afraid of the water any longer, and that's a huge step in learning to swim.

I agree that jumping in is normal. BUT, we were NOT pleased with our Y at all. If you're not either, you might check if your local community college has swim lessons.

Yes, it's pretty normal.

That said, I would not do preschool swimming lessons unless I actually had a pool at home (and then I'd consider the more controversial infant swim lessons where they learn to roll and float for safety/self-rescue). In my experience, the money and time spent on the year or two of swim lessons at preschool age can be saved... the same skills can be learned in a few lessons at age 6 in the school aged program. There is a developmental readiness that makes learning to swim kind of a waste for many little kids.

I do not agree here, though. My oldest learned to swim, and swim well (we're talking swim from one of end of an olympic pool to the other) at 4. My oldest son learned to swim, and swim well, at 2.5. He's not even 5 and is eligible by skill level for swim team. (Our swim team is opening an under-6 team for kids like him.) My third child is 3 and can swim the width of the pool. She just needs some endurance and also to work on her strokes.

My kids have had MANY instructors in two different states. Independent of each other, they've all said that that developmental readiness threshold happens somewhere around 3/3.5. There is great value in teaching your toddlers to swim and be safe around water and a pool.

Are you saying that your 9 year old didn't have the strengh to use a kickboard (under chest?) for 25 yards?

I don't know how many yards the pool is, but yeah, I guess he started slowing down enough that he started sinking. This was toward the end of a 45 minute lesson. This is a kid who is just learning to swim, so a kickboard isn't much floatation and takes more leg power because you're not using your arms.

I'm not sure if he had it under chest or out in front of him (along his arms with hands holding onto the front).

So weird that you posted this just now when I am thinking about our YMCA swim lessons.

I am actually very disturbed by our swimming lesson (3 of my kids are/were in polliwog which I think is what you mean by "level 2"?). My YMCA doesn't share with the parents what are requirements, so I couldn't even tell you. (Did they tell you??) But it sounds similar. My 5, 8, & 9 yr olds are in Polliwog which sounds like your Level 2, and my 4 yr old is in Pre-Pike I think (?).

Anyway, what I am extremely unhappy about is that at my kids' YMCA lessons, they asked the polliwog kids to jump in the DEEP END (10 feet) with only a noodle under their arms. The instructor is "near" but not within arm's reach at all. And they were asked to do this at Lesson #2!!! of polliwog. This is a *beginner* class. :confused:y

Are your kids jumping in the deep end, or the shallow end with the noodle?? And mine are NOT wearing a strapped-on flotation device... Just jumping in the deep end with a flipping noodle. It makes me VERY nervous.

And I will tell you my horror story while I'm at it (like I said, weird that you posted this because I am wondering what other YMCAs do)... Again, on Lesson #2 of polliwog, my 9 yr old was using a *kickboard* and I believe all the kids were asked to swim from the shallow end to the deep end. All the other kids had a noodle but for some reason my 9 yr old had the kickboard. Well I was watching all my kids like a hawk because, for several reasons & what I saw going on, I was nervous. Well, sure enough, I look over to find my 9 yr old and he still has the kickboard and is going UNDER the water. I see him going down, down, down as he's trying to get to the side of the pool, but couldn't quite reach. I stand up and look at the instructor and she's already telling the lifeguard to "get him." Thank the LORD, this happened right in front of the lifeguard's chair (about 6 ft deep), so he got out of his chair quickly and reached down and pulled my son out (with the help of the instructor, as she had gotten over there by then). My son sat on the side and coughed and of course I was horrified. He didn't look great and though he wasn't under there "long," he wasn't prepared to hold his breath at all (nor have they even been instructed on how to do so yet). I asked what happened and he said his legs were getting tired and he started going under and he couldn't say anything. He had a bad headache for an hour and a half and seemed a bit sickish. The lifeguard was clearly shaken up because he was no longer sitting in his chair like he always does. He stood up the rest of the lesson and paced back and forth watching everyone.

Anyway, so then I'm thinking WHY ON EARTH was my kid using a kickboard and asked to go that far on day 2 of polliwog? And why was he in the deep end AT ALL on Lesson #2?? If I had known what was going on, I would have known there was no way he would make it that far and that it was very dangerous. But I couldn't hear what she was asking them to do.

Well, long story long I called the Y and talked to the lady at the front desk and also to the Aquatics Director. I could tell the Director wanted to get me off the phone stat, and I wonder if it's because she knows I could cause trouble. I am TICKED, even moreso now that she was not assuring me that my kids will not be in the deep end again until they can swim well. :confused: I don't know if she didn't want to admit she was wrong, or if she really thought this was OK, or what. And I really wanted my kids to learn to swim, and I told her I was paying hundreds of dollars for this kind of thing NOT to happen, so I didn't have to worry. Now my kid is terrified to go to the Y again, and I can't blame him.

At my Y, it seems they are NOT careful about assessing the children's skills and progressively working on skills in a logical manner. Jumping in the deep end with a flipping noodle that can slip away? What's the point in being in the deep end at all when this class is for "children who are inexperienced and/or uncomfortable in the water"? Jumping in the shallow end, like right in front of the instructor, I can understand. One at a time, get used to. But the deep end? With a noodle? On Day 2?? :confused:

Point being: BEWARE, and be careful. I have totally lost trust in my YMCA's swim instruction and it makes me sad and super disappointed. Now I feel the only way I can not have a heart attack while my kids learn to swim is to teach them myself in grandma's pool one at a time.

Anyway, I hope I didn't hijack your post. Definitely let me know how your Y compares! I am very curious.

I wonder if every Y does it the same way, or if it's up to the particular Aquatics Director at each Y. I am one unhappy customer.

I must have the same y. My dd is eel. And I have similar problem as u as far as the communication with the director. All the instructor as far As I can tell , are high school kids and I rarely have same instructor twice. As soon as DD used to a instructor, she has somebody brand new.

They have her jump the deep end

Edited by jennynd

No idea if it is normal or not, but we quit private lessons at one pool over the same issue.

I think it is a completely ridiculous expectation. When you have an SPD kid (as in our case) or a kid who is afraid of just getting in the water, there is no way you are going to get them to jump in and go under early on. Would you rather have them not jump in or quit swim lessons altogether? Because sometimes those really are the options. They are definitely never going to learn to swim if they quit over this stupid jumping in requirement. I could go on and on about this...

:iagree:

That is really my problem. There is no way she gonna jump now. I would rather have learn to swim for now and work on the jump slowly. With them not moving her, she actually showing regression . She was on noodle for 2 session and now she want to go back to belt. It really not working out for us with the Y

I am glade that I am not the only one not happy with the Y. I am going to start looking for other options

I watched a YMCA swim lesson once, before thinking about enrolling my son. Yes, it was in the deep end, in the diving area actually, which seemed idiotic. And I was only there 5 minutes and saw a girl go under and nearly drown. That was enough for me. My son taught himself.

My kids did survival lessons where they learned the backfloat first, then they were pushed in ("simulated fall") and came up on their backs immediately to solidify the backfloat being instinctual. Sounds traumatic but it really is not as the skills are in place first before they do the simulated fall. I did a lot of research on swimming lessons and methods and the Y was at the bottom of my list of places where I would consider taking my kids. Total waste of money IMO unless you have a natural swimmer.

How old is your daughter? I think it might be a bit much to ask that of a 2 year old. In our community pool classes (not a Y), in level 1 they have them stand at the edge and squat down. Then the instructor, standing in the water right in front of them, splashes their feet a little while the child rises to a standing position (like a tree growing). Then the instructor lightly chops their feet saying, "chop, chop, chop....timber" and then the student jumps in the water. They try to make it fun, I guess. From day one they have the choice to jump off the low dive into the deep end with the instructor catching them. None of our classes use a belt or a noodle. They do use kickboards sometimes.

Maybe your daughter just won't pass this level yet. I'm sure that would be upsetting to you, because you are paying for the classes. But, sometimes letting another year go by really can improve things. My daughter failed level 2 because she was afraid to swim on her back. They used the kickboard for it at that level, and she could do it....but she was very afraid and sometimes would be yelling for help as she was going across the width of the pool. She came back the following summer to redo level 2 and she had drastically improved, even to the surprise of the instructors. Now she can do it without the kickboard even. Sometimes things just take time. But, honestly....I would agree with *not* passing on to the next level if they can't do everything they are supposed to, like jumping in. It's only going to make the next level harder. They can't be passing kids that can't quite do everything.

I don't know how many yards the pool is, but yeah, I guess he started slowing down enough that he started sinking. This was toward the end of a 45 minute lesson. This is a kid who is just learning to swim, so a kickboard isn't much floatation and takes more leg power because you're not using your arms.

I'm not sure if he had it under chest or out in front of him (along his arms with hands holding onto the front).

I'm wondering if he had the kickboard under his arms only....I could definitley see him starting to sink that way. If it were under his chest and stomach then I can't see that he'd sink.

I was very unhappy with YMCA swimming back when my kids started. I was so unhappy, that I took my son out and taught him myself. It took about 8 weeks.

Then I did the same with my dd.

I just broke it down, and taught them one thing at a time.

Then we did a few lessons later at a Red Cross pool and that was a zillion times better. The instructors there were adults, everything was far less chaotic, far more logical and geared for safety. If you have a neighborhood or county public pool, look on their website. They might have the Red Cross logo and say that it's Red Cross Instructors.

IMO the Y was horrible.

FWIW, it took until my DD was a confident swimmer for her to be willing to jump in-about age 6, I think. I believe that for her, it was very much "Hey, wait-if I jump in, I don't know how deep the water is, and I could drown!". She has SPD issues and tends to overthink just about everything-she's the kid who as an early reader was convinced she couldn't go on the big slide at the playground because it was labeled "recommended for ages 5 and up" and she wasn't 5 yet. Group swim lessons, for her, were mostly a lesson in sitting on the side of the pool screaming because the sounds echoing around were too much, and add the fear of drowning and that they were in 5 ft deep water where she couldn't reach bottom was more than she could take-even with a noodle.

Yes its typical, and completely ridiculous in my opinion. I didn't learn to swim until age 35 and there is no way I would have jumped into a deep pool before I learned how to swim at least a little bit. Any kid who won't jump into a pool when they don't know how to swim is SMART.

I absolutely hated the kid swim lessons at the Y. We are now with a private swim school and they use no flotation devices and do not expect the kids to fall or jump into the pool until they can swim a bit. We've had the exact same teacher for a year too, so we are making progress every single lesson and not having to wait for them to figure out how much he can do.

Our lessons are expensive, but I figured it would be worth it if he was swimming well in half the time. This place had far exceeded my expectations. My son started 12 months ago not being able to swim at all and not even putting his face in the water. Now he can swim the length of the pool with a proper freestyle stroke with side breathing and backstroke. He is totally comfortable in the water and is getting ready to join a swim team when he turns 6. Best of all it has been painless... except on my checkbook :) My only regret is that we didn't ditch the Y and start here sooner. Definitely shop around.

I also ditched YMCA lessons after a few times through. It felt as if the kids at our Y spent 25 minutes sitting on the edge and 5 minutes in the water. We found lessons at our gym were far better-/ the kids were in the water for the entire 30 minutes and learned a lot more, and it was more fun.

To answer the OP question yes I do believe that being able to jump in is a typical requirement for begging swim lessons.;) The kids need to be comfortable enough to jump in. In the higher levels at our lessons they are taught to surface dive. I wanted to also say that we have been very happy with our YMCA swim lessons. All of my kids start at age 4 and the oldest two swim amazingly. My 4 year old is starting to take off too. It took her a bit longer to become comfortable in the water. I have never had any issues with the kids swim lessons or instructors, and I have always felt the kids were safe.

Ugh, it sounds like the Y is hit or miss, mostly miss. We hardly ever swim, don't have a pool, no family has a pool. We live in a small town with no Y, but one is supposed to come in the next year or two. I'd planned to get the girls lessons then. The only other option I know of is private lessons at the girls' gym, but those are unbelievably expensive and we just can't afford that.

Ugh, it sounds like the Y is hit or miss, mostly miss. We hardly ever swim, don't have a pool, no family has a pool. We live in a small town with no Y, but one is supposed to come in the next year or two. I'd planned to get the girls lessons then. The only other option I know of is private lessons at the girls' gym, but those are unbelievably expensive and we just can't afford that.

I would just give it a try. You never know right? I have heard a lot of people in my town say the Y lessons are not good, but most of those people haven't actually tried them or only did them like once. Some people just assume things(not talking about anyone in this thread). I have also met several moms who have moved here and said that our Y is so much better than the ones they used to live by.

My kids did survival lessons where they learned the backfloat first, then they were pushed in ("simulated fall") and came up on their backs immediately to solidify the backfloat being instinctual. Sounds traumatic but it really is not as the skills are in place first before they do the simulated fall. I did a lot of research on swimming lessons and methods and the Y was at the bottom of my list of places where I would consider taking my kids. Total waste of money IMO unless you have a natural swimmer.

:iagree: Infant Survival Resource is great and not just for "infants". My DD was about 4 or 5 when she did it, DS#1 was 1.5 (they did it at the same time) and DS#2 was about 1. The instructor was awesome! DS#1 still doesn't like to jump or dive in, but loves to swim and his instinct to roll over and float if he gets scared is great.

I watched a YMCA swim lesson once, before thinking about enrolling my son. Yes, it was in the deep end, in the diving area actually, which seemed idiotic. And I was only there 5 minutes and saw a girl go under and nearly drown. That was enough for me. My son taught himself.

That's where they were having the polliwog kids jump in, on day 2 of their lessons. Completely idiotic. These are kids who can't even swim on their own with no floatation, so I don't think they have any business being in the deep end, period I told the Aquatics Director that they can practice swimming back and forth in the shallow end (and my dd5 can't even touch there!) and do *anything* they need to do in the shallow end. It is common sense.

My 5, 8, & 9 yr olds only even got to practice jumping in the pool once or twice in the shallow end and were clearly not comfortable doing it (reaching way out to practically hold her hands before they would jump in), but very next lesson they were asked to jump in the deep end with just a noodle, and not into anyone's arms. :confused:

I think having a 2 yr old jump in, even into the shallow end into her instructor's arms is a bit much. I would expect that more around 4 or so, personally.

That's where they were having the polliwog kids jump in, on day 2 of their lessons. Completely idiotic. These are kids who can't even swim on their own with no floatation, so I don't think they have any business being in the deep end, period I told the Aquatics Director that they can practice swimming back and forth in the shallow end (and my dd5 can't even touch there!) and do *anything* they need to do in the shallow end. It is common sense.

My 5, 8, & 9 yr olds only even got to practice jumping in the pool once or twice in the shallow end and were clearly not comfortable doing it (reaching way out to practically hold her hands before they would jump in), but very next lesson they were asked to jump in the deep end with just a noodle, and not into anyone's arms. :confused:

I think having a 2 yr old jump in, even into the shallow end into her instructor's arms is a bit much. I would expect that more around 4 or so, personally.

:iagree: That is very weird and that does not happen at our Y.

Do you get any other swim practice time with your daughter other than swim lessons? My son was terrified to jump in (to put it mildly) for his physical therapy sessions, and this is how we eased him into it:

Stage 1: have him sit on his fanny on the pool deck, I put my hands under his armpits and spring him into the water (no face wet). Big hug! Yay!

Stage 2: Stand on edge of deck, toes over edge. Grab my hands (I am in pool). Jump out away from deck, while I hold hands, no face in water. Big hug. YAY!

Stage 3: Stand on edge of deck, toes at edge. I am close to edge, but far enough away to encourage him to jump away from edge of pool. I catch him under armpits as he enters water. Still no face wet. Big hug. YAY!

Stage 4: Like 3, but I catch him a little lower down in the water. Big Hug. YAY!

Stage 5: I stand farther away. He has to land in water unassisted, but then I grab him right away. Face might get wet. Big hug. YAY!

Stage 6: I stand about the same place. He lands in water unassisted, has to grab ME (don't wear a bikini unless you are in a really private pool). Face will get wet. Big Hug! YAY!! Go out for ice cream.

Stage 7: Stand farther away. Jump in, has to paddle 2 or 3 strokes to reach you. Big Hug! YAY!! Brag about performance at dinner table. Your kid's performance too.

My formerly screamed like he was being axe-murdered kid is now working on his breast stroke and swim team dives, despite fighting motor apraxia and other issues, and loves to play in the pool. The above took him months, not days. It takes other kids minutes. Your kid will work on her own time table.

thank you, I like this stage approach, I found another indoor pool. I am going to take the girl there this weekend

I would look into why she won't jump in, there could be a variety of reasons and it would be helpful to pinpoint so you can correct it.

The reason she won't jump in was when she was 1st asked to jump in at age 3. Was not taught put her face in water holding breath, like the other pp pointed out at the 2nd lesson, She jumped in and water get in her nose, Ever since then, she won't do it.

The more I thought about it, the angryer I am with the Y. It really was their fault that my DD won't jump.

Mine took swimming lessons this summer, and it was a requirement. It was not at a Y, just a local pool.

They worked with the ones who needed encouragement a little everyday to help them get used to it, a lot like the previous poster explained with baby steps.

Before going up in level, they had to pass swimming tests. They had to pass the "Deep End" test of swimming a lap without help before working in the deep end. Before that, they worked in the 3-5ft water (had to pass certain skills to work there), and before that they worked in the 3ft.

In the 3ft, the kids played a lot of diving games as a reward for working on skills. Those games help the kids get used to the feel of water-hitting-face, I think, and help prep them for jumping in.

-> yes, it's typical. The 'safety' responses given so far are a good reason why. It's also about getting over fear of the water. If you're still really afraid you'll never learn to swim.

-> I'd look at a different program. Learning to swim with flotation devices attached to you is a _bad idea_. For little kids, it gives them a false sense of security that can be dangerous. It also makes it hard to learn to swim. Your body position in the water will be all wrong, so when they come off you just have to re-learn.

I suggest checking out the year-round swim teams in your area. All 3 teams we've been on had exceptional learn-to-swim programs taught by USA-swimming certified, full-time swim coaches who were terrific. You won't have to join the team to take the lessons and they understand that most of the kids in the learn-to-swim program aren't going to go on to race. It may cost a bit more per month, but from what we've observed you'll have kids who can swim MUCH sooner. And who knows - they might just find they love it and stick around and race!

-andy

Caveats - we are a 'swimming family'. Both of my kids swim on a team 5+ days a week, year-round, and compete about once a month. They've been doing it for years and absolutely love it. We've seen a lot of kids learn to swim - both to compete and just for fun...so I suppose I'm 'informed' but we also spend a lot of time focused on swimming so perhaps I take it more seriously than many. :)

at the pre school classes round here a parent has to be in the pool with the child. Since I am a single working parent with 2 kids this doesn't really work. I did do some b4 my youngest child was born and I thought they were very poor value. However are you in the pool when she is supposed to jump? If not maybe it would help. I won't jump or dive into a pool though even though I can swim.

I guess our y must be pretty good. I've only ever seen them use kickboards or foam barbells. They don't move into the deep end until preschool level 2 advanced (I guess that would be like level 4). I've never seen a child not be safe during a lesson and the coaches have been very consistent. They've never switched coaches in the middle of a session. They also teach to the level of the child within the group classes.

I can't comment on the jumping in issue because I've never had a kid have a problem with it. They've all been jumping in way before they had lessons. I just feel like this thread has turned into bashing the y, when, apparently, not all y's are created equal. Please don't knock it until you've observed/experienced it.