Menu

Does your dh teach your kids any special skills?

Carpentry mostly. He has shown our oldest how to:

change oil and spark plugs in vehicle

repair mower, sharpen blades

basic plumbing

build a garage and a shed

simple wiring

build a fence

mow, trim, mulch, plant

basic welding

He's has taught my oldest:

how to build a deck, tile a floor, lay down carpet, change oil, change a tire, build a fence, garden, put in a ceiling fan, hang drywall, mow, weedeat, paint a room, plumbing, etc.

Ds is going to be a great husband.

Does your dh have a special skill or interest that he teaches to your kids?

His heart is in the right place, and he tries really hard. But the last significant educational opportunity I can remember -- my son ended up learning how to make fart noises with his armpits. :D

My husband helps with Math, Science, Computer (breaking down and building...we've never bought a whole computer accept for my laptop) Wood working, auto mechanics, Laundry...:lol:, logic, debating and Bible.

He is also a NRA Instructor and holds some National Pistol Competition records from his college days. He also teaches proper gun handling and shooting. Compound Bow and the art of self defense....but I am the one who taught the daughter how not to punch like a girl. I am the one who taught the boys how to throw a spiral and play some mean street ball...I showed them the but bump.....

He does other things to help reinforce what I do....I am also involved in most of the above....but some things I let him take the lead on.....

We do a lot together. Since it was his idea we homeschool in the first place, he is very hands on and will do as much as I need.

He really is the best.....;)

I just taught my son to read :001_smile:

Bill

That is the best gift you could have taught him!!! Now I see why Kathleen said it made her tear up.....I'm sitting here going "aaaawwwww!"

His heart is in the right place, and he tries really hard. But the last significant educational opportunity I can remember -- my son ended up learning how to make fart noises with his armpits. :D

Oh and don't forget the burping....and never to swallow a gold fish on a bet....He didn't elaborate on that one.....:D

Really high quality cuddling?

Laura

Cuddling is important in a world when most Dad's don't even have time for Mom!!!:001_smile:

Dh has taught all of us to surf

Now that is something I would LOVE to learn...!!! Mine taught us how to boogie board.....He would have taught me how to snorkel...but I have the "Unsinkable Molly Brown" beat......:tongue_smilie:

Lately it's been dodging mom and spotting instances of psycho-PMS.

In the past (and ongoing) he's taught them to cook, grill, tile, drywall, build a bookshelf, carve all sorts of meat (blech), planta garden, maintain a yard . . . all that kind of stuff. When I write it all down, I'm seeing that I have a really awesome dh.

Um, I didn't mention those. Those are the ones I usually end up "un-teaching." LOL

LOL! You'll have to tell me how you manage that!

I still have to tell him to tie his shoes, but the "pit skills" he learned and remembered from the first lesson. :lol:

Oh and don't forget the burping....and never to swallow a gold fish on a bet....He didn't elaborate on that one.....:D

Some of his "lessons" are just too gross to post here -- but I think everyone pretty much already knows what they are. :lol:

Lately it's been dodging mom and spotting instances of psycho-PMS.

Ah yes! Flying-Under-The-Radar! A valuable skill! Unfortunately, despite all efforts, he refuses to learn this one and goes full steam ahead especially when he should not. :lol:

well, dh is a cross between Tim the Toolman and John Wayne, so they can all [even the 2yo] grunt and wa-hah pretty decently...... the farting and belching and other erm, noises and political haranguing are staples here too.

dh is a whiz at building stuff: carpentry, auto mechanics, electrical, small engines, building models...... anything that is in the science/ engineering track.

He is also a decent cook and has taught our oldest quite a bit.

The most USEFUL thing IMNSHO that he has been able to teach my 11yo and 7yo [and that has escaped my 14yo] is how to kill roaches w/o dread and alarm, lol. ::shiver:: those things are naaaasty!

but the most professional thing they'll each learn from him is how to fly --he's a flight instructor as well as a business jet pilot ;)

My dh is a professional model builder, so our kinesthetic dd gets lots of help from him with building things, designing things, etc. I am not gifted or patient in these areas at all, so I'm very blessed to have him. He has also worked in the movie business and has a lot of knowledge about the behind-the-scenes and special effects processes, which has been great for my older dd who loves to watch movies and analyze them.

Oh, Bill, that is so precious. I'm tearing up. That is really, truly precious.

Definitely one of the most important things!

That's awesome Bill! Way to go!:D

That is the best gift you could have taught him!!! Now I see why Kathleen said it made her tear up.....I'm sitting here going "aaaawwwww!"

You all are so nice! :001_smile:

I was feeling a little bad because I couldn't hang dry-wall or roto-rooter to save my life. Reading...that I can do!

Play on.

Bill (who [working up his best Clint Eastwood voice] says: "A man's gotta know his limitations :tongue_smilie:)

how to locate and identify objects of value at flea markets, yard sales or auctions, and where to resell those for the most profit.

Oh yes, I forgot that one too! It's a family tradition here- go to flea market every Sunday, buy junk, later, when house is too full of junk, sell some at a profit! Or, wait, no, often it's- put it out on the verge on yearly council pick up week to make room for more junk in house.

No, really, dh is very good at buying 2nd hand and both kids have learned his knack too (as have I).

Or, wait, no, often it's- put it out on the verge on yearly council pick up week to make room for more junk in house.

So is "the verge" what we in the US call "the curb"?

I'm forever fascinated by our tiny differences in language. I've never EVER heard the word "verge" used as a concrete noun, only an abstract one. "He was on the verge of giving in, but he remembered Ginny's warning from the day before."

Guest Virginia Dawn

I have one of those. My dh also teaches the boys all about watching sports, and how to sing the songs that you learned in elementary school that you never sang in front of your mother, and his repetoire of corny jokes.

He also gives them talks about drugs, s*x, electrical and mechanical safety, and driving lessons.

golf

yard work

"training day" (1-2X/mo. trains on new household chores)

higher order math skills

finances

ETA: DH wants to teach the boys to fly planes soon. He's an experienced pilot who used to teach military pilots-in-training to fly, but I'm terrified to have my BABIES flying an airplane.

Awwww. . . now THAT made me tear up! LOL

Really high quality cuddling?

Laura

This is sweet!

You all are so nice! :001_smile:

I was feeling a little bad because I couldn't hang dry-wall or roto-rooter to save my life. Reading...that I can do!

Play on.

Bill (who [working up his best Clint Eastwood voice] says: "A man's gotta know his limitations :tongue_smilie:)

You and my dh both. My dh really isn't handy around the house. My dad comes over and teaches my boys these things.

My dh is good for a really good religious or political discussion. These are my weaknesses, so it works out quite well! He also coaches their baseball teams. Mostly, he plays football, baseball, lacrosse, etc in the back yard with them. He cannot wait until my oldest turns 13 so he can row (crew) with him!

My dh has taught DS how to do basic car repair and maintenance. DS has learned how to change a tire, change brakes and do an oil change. DH said he'll teach dd the same things when she gets older. He has also started teaching both of them to play tennis. I'm amazed at the patience he has with them sometimes! We're very luck to have him :)

He's taught the boys to do construction work. They're both working with him this summer and the oldest has in summers past as well. He's helped the girls with some smaller woodworking projects. He would teach them Greek if they were interested and he has helped them with basic biblical research as they've shown interest. He's taught them a little about horseback riding and caring for the horses, but mostly that gets left to grandpa to do since he spends more time with it.

Oh, and we mustn't forget that he has taught the boys how to water the trees. :D

My dh is good for a really good religious or political discussion.

Oh, yeah, I guess mine does that too. He takes the kids to church, when they go, and he is the one who passes on UU principles. He taught the kids how to pick a candidate, and this year Sterling (11) researched independently and chose Clinton, who no one else in the house was supporting. And he is forever learning the history of some random thing (why is it called the Throgs Neck Bridge? who invented Twinkies?) and making the kids listen to these stories. Like Cliff Claven, from Cheers. Yes. He is turning our kids into little Cliffies.

My dh is a carpenter. Ds has been hammering and nailing since he was 18 months old. He has been on a few jobs with dad, including a 3 day work weekend at a relatives. It was out of town and I got to be all alone for 3 days!

Back to the subject...

Ds knows how to drive a go-kart and how not to flip one, learned the hard way. Gotta love a roll cage.

Camping, backpacking, fishing, hunting, survival-wilderness types of skills. Also a few computer skills.

That's us, too. I'll add, how to keep a cool, logical frame of mind. Being all girls around here, that is a long process. He's done a few community service projects, too. Business skills. Selling. Pizza making. Cast iron cooking. Not just fishing but Fly fishing. Table manners. Respect for Mommy. Patience (in process). How to read hunting catalogs. How to pray. Bible lessons. How not to cook pheasant.

My dh is an artist, gemologist, diamond expert and ancient (especially Egyptian) history buff. Since he's the handier one in general in our marriage, he's going to be the one teaching ds (almost 5) some gardening. Neither one of us knows how to yet, but all my plants so far have died or not grown at all :o

This year for K dh is teaching art (includes appreciation) and he'll be my teacher's assistant for setting up science experiments. Next year in first grade he'll be reading a history supplement to ds and will be there for us to pick his brain on Ancient History. In third year he'll be teaching ds about rocks and minerals and continue to have a hand in art, science and history throughout the homeschooling journey.

Oh yeah, and logistics, directions, logical thinking, wiring appliances, setting up wireless systems and some other neat stuff he knows how to do. Gosh, what would be do without him? :001_wub: