Menu

Halloween treats-what do you give?

Are non-candy treats OK for trick or treaters  

1. 1. Are non-candy treats OK for trick or treaters

• Yes, it's what I do
    • A mix is better-let them pick what they want
    • No-bring on the candy!
    • Cupcakes for me!

I found a bunch of glow bracelets at a local Bargain Hunt store (for those who don't have them, they sell overstocks, non-defective returns, box damaged in shipping, and similar items-usually new items with original warranty, but in really lousy looking packaging.) and bought them for trick or treating, knowing that my DD LOVES those things as do most kids I know. And it's a lot less damaging to my waistline to have glow sticks around instead of candy. It was also cheap-about $20 for enough for 500 kids-and that's what we typically get since we're right across from an elementary school. I also figure it will help the kids be safer and more visible, which is a really, really good thing.

DH thinks we need to get some candy, too-that any non-candy treat looks cheap and isn't what kids want. I can't see the need.

What do you think?

I don't do non-candy treats only because I don't like most of the halloween stuff out. Most of it is cheap plastic with no use except 5 minutes of play. If I found glow bracelets for a good price I'd definitely hand those out to trick-or-treaters, though!

Over here I hand out Yummy Earth lollipops. We don't have trick or treaters, so these are for my kids in clubs and classes. They're the only things I found that were allergy-proof for the range of kids I have that are corn/nut/dye/dairy/soy/gluten-free.

We handed out juice boxes (store-brand Capri-Sun type) and spider rings last year and they were a HUGE hit. Several of the kids said, "Oh I am dying of thirst. Thanks!" So we will do that again. One house we went to did glow sticks and those appeared to go over well too. So this year I am doing the juice boxes and glow sticks with my leftover spider rings. I am with you. I don't want the candy in the house either. In fact my kids "donate" their stash (except for 10 pieces they each choose to keep for themselves) to my husband's work candy bowl that they have out for customers and they get to trade it in for something they've been wanting - usually used video games, a new book, or a craft item so nothing too pricey. I think your idea is great.

We handed out juice boxes (store-brand Capri-Sun type) and spider rings last year and they were a HUGE hit. Several of the kids said, "Oh I am dying of thirst. Thanks!" So we will do that again. One house we went to did glow sticks and those appeared to go over well too. So this year I am doing the juice boxes and glow sticks with my leftover spider rings. I am with you. I don't want the candy in the house either. In fact my kids "donate" their stash (except for 10 pieces they each choose to keep for themselves) to my husband's work candy bowl that they have out for customers and they get to trade it in for something they've been wanting - usually used video games, a new book, or a craft item so nothing too pricey. I think your idea is great.

My kids are always thankful for the juice boxes or caprisun. they also don't mine getting chips and one family hands our bags of animal crackers for little ones and snack bags of oreos and/or pretzels for the older children.

I think toys are fine - my kids think they are neat to get. Personally, I buy candy that I hate so I don't eat it. That would be candy without chocolate or caramel or peanut butter. But I hate Butterfingers and anything with coconut, so those are OK too.

:tongue_smilie: Kids hate Butterfingers too.

I said a mix is better, but I think just handing out glow sticks/bracelets is fine too. Just don't hand out toothbrushes. :tongue_smilie:

I buy candy, really good candy, the candy DH and I most loved to get in our own bags as kids (well, except candy cigarettes :tongue_smilie:). But my kids would love the glow bracelets and I wouldn't get anything else if I were you. You might have some irate tweens/teens though, as the novelty wears off with age. :lol:

Last year I did ittty bitty water bottles from Costco. I had more people tell me that was the best idea. I have candy for the people who don't know us, and home made treats for the other thousand that know our house makes goodies. We are doing white chocolate mold lollipops in the shape of ghosts.

I didn't want to say "yes, it's what I do" because I'd personally hand out candy. However, I do think non-candy treats can be okay for people to hand out, too, and in your specific case, I think glow bracelets are great! My kids would love getting those. I don't think you HAVE to go buy candy, too. They'll get plenty of candy at other houses.

I don't know...it's nice when everyone hands out something different. But, sitting at home eating cupcakes sound like the best option to me :lol:!

I always buy candy and some sort of snack like goldfish crackers. I (ideally) give every kid one of each. Then hopefully everyone is happy ;)!

I don't do non-candy treats only because I don't like most of the halloween stuff out. Most of it is cheap plastic with no use except 5 minutes of play. If I found glow bracelets for a good price I'd definitely hand those out to trick-or-treaters, though!

Over here I hand out Yummy Earth lollipops. We don't have trick or treaters, so these are for my kids in clubs and classes. They're the only things I found that were allergy-proof for the range of kids I have that are corn/nut/dye/dairy/soy/gluten-free.

I wish I could hug you! Those are some of the only candies we can have due to allergies. Trick or treating is miserable for us because all the candy is unsafe. I get so frustrated for my kids!

We don't do candy at our house. We turn off our light and have our own party with safe snacks.

I said cupcakes because I always do candy, but I think non-candy (whether juice boxes, pretzels, pencils, stickers, or whatever) or a mix is fine.

And I don't know what's wrong with you anti-butterfinger people.

When I was little, I thought the "butter" in Butterfingers referred to actual butter. I've since eaten them but still can't get past that first impression :tongue_smilie:.

I wish I could get our neighbors to give out crispy slices of bacon!

My kids love glow sticks and bracelets and loved the house that gave them out last year. Honestly I even liked the house that gave out toothbrushes when I was a kid, cool a new toothbrush. Sure I loved the house that gave out the full sized candy bars more, but I was happy with whatever I got.

I picked cupcake, because we normally hand out candy, though I do keep small containers of bubbles for anyone who asks for a non-candy treat (no one ever has, but I feel better having them anyways, and my kids love bubbles so they will use them up anyways).

One year someone gave out hot dogs and pop rather than candy, that was neat!

Id do the alternative if you wanted.

That sounds fun! Just have the grill set up in the driveway.

One year we did little tubs of play dough for the toddlers/preschoolers.

My kids would love the glow bracelets. Even if the kids don't wear them, their candy buckets glow on the inside!

I buy little bags of pretzels and some candy. I let the kids pick which they want. I am amazed at how many kids pick the pretzels.

Glow sticks might be a big hit. I could go either way on that. I am often the only house on my block handing out treats, and I can imagine if people came here and got a glow stick, they might be disappointed. But, if I were one house among many, then I would go for the glow sticks.

I wish I could hug you! Those are some of the only candies we can have due to allergies. Trick or treating is miserable for us because all the candy is unsafe. I get so frustrated for my kids!

We don't do candy at our house. We turn off our light and have our own party with safe snacks.

:( I don't like kids feeling left out. My oldest had a terrible chocolate intolerance when he was little and it really sucks to have to tell a kid they can't have the treat everyone else gets. I buy a huge bin of the lollys and then portion out the rest to the allergy moms in November to take home.