Menu

Home Schooling TV Show

Guest mroller

Guest mroller

Hi Everyone,

First time poster, but I've been reading the boards for a while. I'm in the early stages of attempting to write a comedy TV pilot about a family starting home schooling, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the realistic issues a family would face starting out.

For the purpose of the show, the family will likely unexpectedly fall into home schooling their seventh grade child, and come to terms with the reality of balancing their work lives with this new responsibility, while perhaps receiving guidance from more experienced members of the home schooling community.

I'm not interested in relying on home schooling stereotypes for comedy, so I'm curious what some of the realistic early problems might be, so I can try to mine those problems for real comedic insight. Would it be realistic for a new family to find help from other home schoolers in their area? Is it possible for a parent to both work and teach? Etc.

In short, what problems would you love to see addressed in a home schooling COMEDY? And on the flip side, what would you hate to see?

Edited by mroller

please, please don't roll out the lame stereotypes! I feel a bit hopeful that you stated you are not interested in that.

I'd say that a real struggle is deciding on and finding time/money for outside activities. My 3rd child is a boy starting 7th grade, and he has 3 sisters, no other kids to play with on our street. We need to find him an outside activity that is physical, and to get him out of the house and among other boys.

I really struggle with feeling that I might be depriving my kids out of enrichment activities like art, p.e. and sports that they would get in school (and yet, when I remember how little time was actually devoted to those things, and how lacking in real instruction enrichment classes were in my school years, logically I know I am not depriving them) so we do go out and find classes for them, but juggling time commitments and money issues is difficult.

I think it would be difficult to work and homeschool, you would have to be very organized...but we have many parents here on the boards that do it.

being asked if homeschooling is legal is a funny question we sometimes get, though not as often as we used to.

1. That's not the way Mrs. Jones teaches it!

2. Well, I couldn't do my science because you were reading my book.

3. Mom wakes up at 2p after working the night shift to find her kitchen cabinets are singed from the day's science lab.

4. How can I get any schoolwork done with all this noise?

5. Since you were sleeping, mom, I went ahead and graded my math quiz myself.

6. Mom wakes up unexpectedly and finds kiddo playing video games. So, have you done all your schoolwork?

7. Kiddo wakes up late, strolls through house yawning, and notices the school bus driving by the window. "Ka ching!"

8. Mom is online diligently surfing curriculum sites for hours, while kiddo is behind her patiently waiting for help on his math problem.

9. Mom discovering that "new math" isn't how she remembers it.

10. Mom realizing that her wiggly kiddo actually learns better while rollerblading around the house or sitting on a bouncy ball.

Hope that will get you started. We've so been there, done that!

:)

Writing a homeschool sitcom has always been one of my dreams... except I'm not a writer and have no entertainment industry experience or connections. :lol:

I've seen planty of "mistakes" in tv homeschooling that drive me nuts. For example, The Secret Life of the American Teenager portrayed homeschooling unlike anything I've ever heard of. "Your" school GC generally would not come to your door to deliver school textbooks then have you come to school once a week to turn in your assignments. They also would not push you to join THE (not just A, but THE) local homeschool group. Although I do understand that California operates differently from many states.

Whatever the location, I would expect that state's regulations to be accurately portrayed. A family in NJ wouldn't have to involve authorities at all. In PA, they'd have to file paperwork and do testing every few years. In other states, they may be legally required to join a homeschool organization. It may seem stupid, but it would definitely annoy me to see a mistake on that end.

What I would like to see...

Diversity in the homeschool community. When including other families, the stereotypical conservative religious population is good. So are the crunchy hippies. And so are the otherwise "normal" families. And I think it's okay to laugh at the stereotypes, imo, as long as it's done in the way you might laugh at a close friend.

It's too early for me to think beyond that.

I hop this doesn't offend parents of onlies (not my intent at ALL!!), but for the purposes of a TV show, I think you could do a lot by adding siblings. A questionI see all the time is how to work with your older kids with babies/toddlers in tow. I think there could be a lot of humor in watching someone attempt to balance that!

As your TV homeschool kids age, please let them go to the prom with a public school date. Please don't let them have a "prom" of their own in the family basement.

Please don't let the dad be an idiot.

Please show the TV homeschool kids with friends outside the family.

A humorous bit could be that the kid threatens to homeschool college.

You might not want to use this as it might offend too many people, but one REAL thing we encountered as we started homeschooling my kids (middle son was 7th grade our first year) was this:

We weren't sure what to do for history and heard we could ask the school for books, so we did.

Not too long after that my 7th grader came to me and said, "Um, mom, I think we have a problem with this book."

"Why," I innocently ask?

"It has East and West Germany, the Berlin Wall, and says the two are not likely to ever get back together." (We started homeschooling in 2006.)

We didn't use the school's history books after that.

I'm GUESSING they gave us an old book rather than the one they were really using, but honestly, I never asked. I just started researching other curricula.

The kid's friends who are all jealous that he gets to sit home and play video games all day and don't believe that's not the case.

The parents of the kid's friends who are annoyed and call up the homeschooling parents to complain that their kids want to be homeschooled now.

I think you could have fun with the occasional stereotype in the homeschool group. The denim-jumper-wearing conservative and the spaced out hippie who are always fighting but actually always end up agreeing with eachother about everything. Obviously, the spaced out hippie's child wears a bow tie and has already made his first million in the stock market...

Oh, you could have a lot of fun with the unschoolers. The exhausted unschool mom trying to figure out how six hours of Lego playing equates to six hours of state mandated subjects.

Then there is the entire neo-classical movement. Latin? Austin? for the 6-year old.

And then there is another subsection that could be poked at - the brainy kids. Go check out the accelerated learner forum.

Edited by Parrothead

As your TV homeschool kids age, please let them go to the prom with a public school date. Please don't let them have a "prom" of their own in the family basement.

Please don't let the dad be an idiot.

Please show the TV homeschool kids with friends outside the family.

A humorous bit could be that the kid threatens to homeschool college.

:iagree: When you have discussions about what they want to be in life and 5 yo pops in with - "What will you do mom? Can't you teach me how to build houses? " Because you know, moms can do anything!

I hop this doesn't offend parents of onlies (not my intent at ALL!!), but for the purposes of a TV show, I think you could do a lot by adding siblings. A questionI see all the time is how to work with your older kids with babies/toddlers in tow. I think there could be a lot of humor in watching someone attempt to balance that!

this situation is a great way to start out season 2...you see, in season one the parents are trying to figure out how to do homeschooling with one child...and "think" they have it all figured out...and bam....kid #2 hits the scene...just at the end of season one....cliff hanger of sorts...

good idea....good luck with this...glad you want to stay away from stereo types.

You have to include "quizzing." As in, people who wonder if your child is really getting an education quizzing them without warning about all kinds of stuff. Like the time my neighbor quizzed my 10 yo about the provinces and capitals of Canada. C'mon. Do his schooled kids REALLY know that? Off the tops of their heads?

1. That's not the way Mrs. Jones teaches it!

2. Well, I couldn't do my science because you were reading my book.

3. Mom wakes up at 2p after working the night shift to find her kitchen cabinets are singed from the day's science lab.

4. How can I get any schoolwork done with all this noise?

5. Since you were sleeping, mom, I went ahead and graded my math quiz myself.

6. Mom wakes up unexpectedly and finds kiddo playing video games. So, have you done all your schoolwork?

7. Kiddo wakes up late, strolls through house yawning, and notices the school bus driving by the window. "Ka ching!"

8. Mom is online diligently surfing curriculum sites for hours, while kiddo is behind her patiently waiting for help on his math problem.

9. Mom discovering that "new math" isn't how she remembers it.

10. Mom realizing that her wiggly kiddo actually learns better while rollerblading around the house or sitting on a bouncy ball.

Hope that will get you started. We've so been there, done that!

:)

Wow, you're good! :thumbup:

How about that initial struggle many new homeschoolers fear about trying to go between the "mom" hat and the "teacher" hat? I remember hearing about one homeschooler who actually wore different clothes to be "teacher". I could see some comedy there, as mom goes between the algebra and the chili on the stove and the toddler in the living room, trying to keep her "role" straight.

Trying to find a homeschool group you "fit" into would be fun. Which curriculum/style to use could make for a whole episode (and could be quiet humorous)! You really want an episode where maybe mom has struggled all day to teach a concept and nothing else got done. Dad comes home looks around and says, "What did you do all day?" :tongue_smilie: This one would make me fall off the couch laughing due to the reality of it!

Animals, critters and other hands-on stuff. I'm talking tadpoles, insects, maybe an incubator, lots of plants, and stuff like that. Oh, and the kids being unwilling to set the frogs or whatever critter has finally hatched free and coming up with all sorts of justifications for keeping them.

Ancient Egypt set up in the living room (out of playmobil, lego, cardboard boxes, playdoh, and the cat grumpily wearing a paper headdress and christened "Bastet") and a mummified chicken in progress on the counter.

Kids at the store, instead of asking "Can I get this" pointing out "It's educational, I can use it for!" for the most tenuous of connections (Mom! They're Pokemon cards! I'm using reading and math when I play, so it's school!!!")

Wait...I just described my life!

As a mom with a brainy kid, I'd LOVE to see an accelerated, self-motivated learner on TV who doesn't fall into the stereotypes.

Edited by dmmetler

FWIW, I'm guessing that what mainstream America would think was funny about homeschooling wouldn't be the same as what homeschoolers would think was funny. Who is your audience?

:iagree: I don't see how this would work. If you don't use the stereotypes, no on outside of homeschoolers will think it's funny. If you do use the stereotypes, you're going to have a lot of angry homeschoolers on your hands. The only possible balance I see is portraying a "normal" homeschool family in the midst of all these stereotypical homeschooling families they encounter. Stereotypes exist for a reason. I've encountered every one of them at one time or another. I've met the ultra-conservative, dress-wearing, religious homeschoolers who think anyone who doesn't practice their faith is sent straight from the devil. I've met the super-classical, "my child is profoundly gifted" homeschoolers. I've met the hippy-granola unschoolers who don't really do credit to the unschooling movement by unschooling (which if done properly is more difficult and time-consuming for the parent than homeschooling) who don't really homeschool -- they play all day and call it school. I've also seen the nasty debates and hurt feelings between virtual charter school students/parents who consider themselves homeschoolers and the homeschool parents/groups/kids who don't accept them because technically they're part of the PS system.

I don't know how a series like this could be pulled off successfully without drawing unwanted attention to homeschoolers. Even if the main character is portrayed as "middle of the road," but the people around them are all stereotypes, you're going to have a large percentage of your audience come away from watching it not with understanding for what we go through, but with stronger opinions and ideas about regulations. They may take the attitude that the main character is the only spot of normal in a sea of crazy, "typical" homeschoolers. That would be bad. Shows like Secret Life of the American Teenager spouted off a lot of things that weren't true about homeschooling, leaving many people with the belief that the school gives you all your work and you check in with them once/week. Wife Swap often had homeschooling families, but they were always the most extreme families with the most extreme stereotypes. TV hasn't been kind to homeschoolers. I don't know how you can change that -- especially with a comedy, which by its nature pokes fun at stereotypes. That's what comedies do.

Edited by jujsky

Oh my goodness, you have not been reading! LOL

Comedy ... just start with the maggots that I came home to after a long day of work that dad and the dear little girls scavenged from the water-filled trash can. These had to be investigated, observed, and allowed to grow - ewwwwww!!!!!

Consider that they found "dinosaurs" in the back yard. Ummm, it was the family bet. This led to tears. :-(

All you need to do is consider that many of us push for nature study and science led investigation. Look for the mom who had road kill open on the kitchen floor!

Now this .... this is homeschool. :D

(Don't forget to look up the foregin language quibs too!)

I've seen planty of "mistakes" in tv homeschooling that drive me nuts. For example, The Secret Life of the American Teenager portrayed homeschooling unlike anything I've ever heard of. "Your" school GC generally would not come to your door to deliver school textbooks then have you come to school once a week to turn in your assignments. They also would not push you to join THE (not just A, but THE) local homeschool group. Although I do understand that California operates differently from many states.

Actually, mom works for a school in CA, and this is exactly what her job is. It's not what I want, but it's pretty neat for those that want it. The school gives them their curriculum chosen by the parents paid for by the state. They get home visits, and the kids come to school once or twice a week. They attend field trips, labs, sports etc if they choose to. They typically have a homeschool group that is optional.

I'm the mom of a former homeschooled student who is now attending boarding school. I've often thought that if someone started a boarding school for homeschoolers, it would fill up immediately. What mom wouldn't want to send their child to a place where:

(1) students cheerfully straighten their rooms for daily inspections;

(2) students get only half an hour to eat meals, and there are only two options: regular and vegetarian;

(3) there's a two-hour study hall every night, after a full day of classes and activities (and Facebook is blocked during those hours);

(4) parents don't have to drive for HOURS every day to take their children to activities because there's an amazing variety of activities at the school.

If I were writing that episode, I'd have an enterprising homeschool mom announcing that she is opening a "homeschool boarding academy" in her basement. Her kids' friends would all sign up. The kids would think they were going to participate in a fun, easy year-long sleepover, but the mom in charge would get the last laugh when the "boarding academy" is run like a military academy. Meanwhile, the students' moms would be ENJOYING THEIR FREEDOM (which will soon end when their children beg to come home).

I think I would find a sitcom about a family that happens to homeschool more compelling than a sitcom about homeschooling. It seems like you'd get more humor out of it as a side thing rather than the main focus.

To your point, one stereotype that must be included is the neighbor or in-law who thinks they're absolutely ruining the child's life.

So I think the difficulty with writing any of this as comedy is that there is a true lack of real awareness and understanding about what the homeschooling life encompasses. The reason comedy is funny is because we share a universal life experience. From that common understanding, the funny incident is understood because we all relate to how it differs from a normal context.

You are faced with the challenge that homeschooling is not a universally understood life circumstance. (Consider how it is easy to make comedy from the experiences of marriage, raising children, work environments). This leaves you with the task of first educating how homeschooling normally functions which isn't a funny premise.

I think this is a main reason why all of the "funny" attempts at portraying homeschooling turn into something that feels more like poking fun.

Edited by bookfiend
clarity

You know, bookfiend, I don't think it would be very hard to educate viewers on how homeschooling "should" look. If the protagonist family were attractive, outgoing, hardworking, and really doing a nice job with homeschooling, they would be showing the world what homeschooling should look like -- and does look like most of the time.

The comedy part comes in when you have funny situations, like animals that get loose in the house, or nosy neighbors peeking through the windows (with CPS on speed-dial), or sweet situations, like a boy who watches "Old Yeller" (because his mom wants to expose him to classic movies) and then insists on having his dog sleep in his bed every night. Those are human situations that everyone can relate to.

The homeschooling show could be a real blessing, if it's done in a warm, inviting way. It might not always be a "comedy," but it could be a heartwarming family show.

You have to include "quizzing." As in, people who wonder if your child is really getting an education quizzing them without warning about all kinds of stuff. Like the time my neighbor quizzed my 10 yo about the provinces and capitals of Canada. C'mon. Do his schooled kids REALLY know that? Off the tops of their heads?

Yet, in the next sentence, the child talks about mummifying a chicken and gives minute details about the Book of the Dead and how real mummies were made (including how the brain was removed, etc.) And the quizzing adult persists that the child isn't learning anything:).

Read Todd Wilson's cartoons. Tim Hawkins has a great video on youtube, 'A Homeschool Family'. Those could give you some great starting points.

Just remember: 99% of all homeschoolers do NOT abuse their kids, are NOT murderers, and the kids do NOT grow up to become serial killers. We do not keep our kids isolated for bizarre reasons. Heck, we don't keep our kids isolated!

And you MUST have a cameo appearance by Susan Wise Bauer!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you should include the stereotypes, but only to prove to the world that they are wrong! Show the kid going to all his/her extra curriculars, interacting w/ people of various ages- ya know, living a normal life, then have some idiot ask the "what about socialization?" question. Make sure you have scenes of poor public school kids sitting in silence in a room full of their peers. Just for reference, of course. :tongue_smilie:

Guest mroller
I think I would find a sitcom about a family that happens to homeschool more compelling than a sitcom about homeschooling. It seems like you'd get more humor out of it as a side thing rather than the main focus.

To your point, one stereotype that must be included is the neighbor or in-law who thinks they're absolutely ruining the child's life.

I think this is right! A show dedicated exclusively to homeschooling would probably come across as either a mockery or an infomercial for the process, considering how most family comedies out there currently tackle a wide variety of issues, and not just one.

In the same way that many shows have a homeschooling episode that ends with the family deciding it's "not for them", I'd love to write a show where the homeschooling is just a natural background occurrence. There's so much fun material to mine here, in the balance of being a teacher and a parent, educating yourself while being an educator, discovery and dealing with other homeschooling ideologies. And sure, I could occasionally tackle the religious / hippy / hyper intelligent stereotypes. They just don't need to be the focus.

Lots of great ideas! Thanks everyone for the input.

I think this is right! A show dedicated exclusively to homeschooling would probably come across as either a mockery or an infomercial for the process, considering how most family comedies out there currently tackle a wide variety of issues, and not just one.

In the same way that many shows have a homeschooling episode that ends with the family deciding it's "not for them", I'd love to write a show where the homeschooling is just a natural background occurrence. There's so much fun material to mine here, in the balance of being a teacher and a parent, educating yourself while being an educator, discovery and dealing with other homeschooling ideologies. And sure, I could occasionally tackle the religious / hippy / hyper intelligent stereotypes. They just don't need to be the focus.

Lots of great ideas! Thanks everyone for the input.

Yeah, I think this is a great idea. I forgot though, one episode could focus on mom going to a curriculum convention. This would showcase what is available to homeschoolers while also being humorous at how overwhelming it is! :tongue_smilie:

Show all the different types of families. We are the laid back Christian eclectic ones, but in our immediate group I can name these: the hippie mom with dreads and birkenstocks, new age religious leader (mom btw) with deaf dh adhd son & lesbian daughter, all natural food mom who is constantly tearing up and rebuilding things in her home - unschooled and then didn't understand why her kids made choices different to hers (we all wonder that about our kids) and became the stricter parent, mixed black/white couple whose boys are very, very mechanically inclined - they have a mechanic business and build all sorts of things, definitely budding entrepreneurs and so interesting, the Chinese couple who immigrated and all 3 boys are high achieving homeschoolers who earned scholarships, the youngest is very much an Eddie Haskell type but successful.

The families either have a lot of kids and animals or some/one kid and no animals it seems, but I know it is different for everyone. Really focus on the funny and fun aspects of it. Homeschoolers aren't perfect, in fact we can be very weird but we love our family, kids, education.

Honestly, a realistic 'homeschooling' type show could look a whole lot like "Modern Family' only Claire happens to homeschool the three kids.

Homeschooling families look like most families you know. We run the gamut. I bet you would be surprised at how average (and yet NOT :lol:) we can be.

But you really must include a small mental breakdown over choosing math programs. 7th grade you say? Just in time for the pre-algebra insanity to hit.

Honestly, a realistic 'homeschooling' type show could look a whole lot like "Modern Family' only Claire happens to homeschool the three kids.

Homeschooling families look like most families you know. We run the gamut. I bet you would be surprised at how average (and yet NOT :lol:) we can be.

But you really must include a small mental breakdown over choosing math programs. 7th grade you say? Just in time for the pre-algebra insanity to hit.

Exactly. Plus, a lot of hs families adopt in country and out. I dropped my kids off at a hs class and remembered how many adopt from all over as the diverse faces came out of the building. Oh, and we consistently have foreign exchange students or other kids with us. It is a lot of fun.

I think a cute episode would be a bunch of moms looking at curriculum in the evening. A few have wine, one has a wheat grass smoothie, others diet coke, and another mom sneaks off to smoke a joint. LOL

That sounds about right for my neck of the woods.

That is reminding me of a time I went to a meeting. Oh, it was SO hot and I bought a (gasp) diet Dr Pepper. That was a big treat for me. So, I get there and the other moms are drinking out of mason jars some murky beverage with things floating in it. I kid you not, they each brought their own murky beverage from home.

That sounds about right for my neck of the woods.

That is reminding me of a time I went to a meeting. Oh, it was SO hot and I bought a (gasp) diet Dr Pepper. That was a big treat for me. So, I get there and the other moms are drinking out of mason jars some murky beverage with things floating in it. I kid you not, they each brought their own murky beverage from home.

I love it! If we can get past our differences we are such a cool group.

Oh, if you want to subtly poke at the Hive you could address shoes in the house, shopping carts, crock pots, cupcakes, crazy stroller ladies, and whatever it is that Canadians call Kraft Mac & Cheese.

And we mustn't forget KILTS.

I read this and said "What do they call it. It's Kraft dinner to me." I went and googled it and low and behold! :lol:

I'm French Canadian so there ya go! Never knew what they called it though. I just remember my mother calling it that.

I haven't read all the responses so I'm not sure if this has been said yet but what struck me about the original post in this thread is how non typical it sounded. Parents of one middle school age child dealing with homeschooling that child while they both work? It would be great to have a show that includes homeschooling but that is just so different from my life (and the lives of most homeschoolers I know) for me to watch.

In my experience the average homeschooling family has several young children and possibly a few older ones (it's not that uncommon for a homeschooler to go to a regular school for middle and/or high school). They could be considers religious but have many other interests as well. The mom doesn't work, at least not outside the home. They are concerned about issues like politics and healthy food. They have tons of activities, groups, etc. they attend. They have lots of friends. I'd watch a show about a family like that although I'm not sure a show about a 'run of the mill' homeschooling family, even if they were suddenly thrown into it, would get picked up.