Menu

? for renters/landlords and...free speech (I guess)?

We rent a home that is on a large piece of property including a business (right next door). The whole property is owned by our landlord who has been great for the most part.

However, when it comes time for voting season, he (I assume it's him) puts up political signs for his party's candidates--all sorts of political positions--in our yard. Yes, it's HIS yard, I get that. But, I've never heard of a landlord putting up signs in the yard of the home he rents out to other people! lol That is OK, I guess...not crazy about it, but what bugs me is that when we put up a sign of our own which is for a candidate of the OTHER party, our signs disappear. LOL

I know that I could talk to him about it but I kinda don't want to. :tongue_smilie: I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on this whole thing! I assume he has the right to put up his signs in what we feel is our family's front yard since we're paying for the privilege, but removing ours is annoying. Now, to be honest, I have NOT seen him remove them. His workers, who are out and about all the time (ugh) could very well be doing it, too.

Just another fun aspect of renting? LOL

I think when you rent the property it should be for your enjoyment and use. At the very least he could have talked to you about it.

We used to be landlords and the local landlord association meetings were eye opening- some of those landlords were awful to tenants. Making surprise inspections, requiring grass to be cut 'on Saturday', written notification required whenever an adult spends the night...so I guess political signs aren't surprising.

It's not only illegal for someone to put political signs on your property (it is yours, not his, bc you are renting it), but it is also illegal for him to remove your political signs. (at least it is in my state)

I'd be ticked and tell him to stop. I'm not paying rent so he can have someone else pay for his advertising property.:glare:

I'm a landlord and I cannot imagine doing anything like that. IMO when a renter rents our place, he/she is paying for use of all land and building unless otherwise specified in the contract. As such, it would be wrong for me to retain use of the yard during the political season unless I indicated that in the contract.

I think you are being too kind to your landlord :)

I think when you rent the property it should be for your enjoyment and use. At the very least he could have talked to you about it.

We used to be landlords and the local landlord association meetings were eye opening- some of those landlords were awful to tenants. Making surprise inspections, requiring grass to be cut 'on Saturday', written notification required whenever an adult spends the night...so I guess political signs aren't surprising.

And this is why I am very, very well versed in my state's tenant rights. :glare:

Ugh. And this is why I don't like yard signs. I think that is tacky that he is putting the sign up in your yard and I would never do it. Depending on the lease, others are right that he probably does not have the right to do it. However, if he is generally a good landlord, I would give him some leeway. Have you spoken to him to let him know your thoughts? He may not realize that he's annoying you or that you feel imposed upon by it. I don't know how your house is situated in relation to the business but is it possible that the spot he is putting the sign in is business yard? As far as removing your sign, are you sure he is the one taking it down? We have lots of sign removing around us, so it may just be coincidence. Or it may be that your landlord is just a clod.

WordGirl and I posted at the same time and she voiced my thoughts much more succinctly.

Edited by MSNative
WordGirl for the win!

Here's a landlord pov.

It's my house, it's my yard. Renters do not own it, they do not pay property taxes on it and do not have the right to claim it as their own. As far as I'm concerned they are paying for the privilege to live on my ranch.

We are in the middle of evicting a family right now so I'm pretty pissed. They have destroyed my old ranch house and my beautiful yard is an eyesore. As for political signs, if someone puts Obama crap in my yard it's outta there and I won't sneak in the middle of the night either. Sue me.

Paying for the privilege? That's like saying a customer in a restaurant is paying for the privilege to eat there so don't be mad if the service stinks.

Yep, it is a privilege. Nice house, beautiful yard, peace and quiet, good location and cheap rent. We turn down people all. the. time. I claim temporary insanity for renting it out.

As for the restaurant comparison.....ever seen A Good Year? It's a supply and demand thing. McDonald's is down the road.

We were renting a property that had been sold. We had a political sign out and the day after elections it disappeared. We know it was the landlord that took it down, but we just joked about it to him (letting him know that we knew he took it...he just cringed and didn't say anything). Technically, it's theft of property ;) (and, yes, I alluded to that).

Here's a landlord pov.

It's my house, it's my yard. Renters do not own it, they do not pay property taxes on it and do not have the right to claim it as their own. As far as I'm concerned they are paying for the privilege to live on my ranch.

We are in the middle of evicting a family right now so I'm pretty pissed. They have destroyed my old ranch house and my beautiful yard is an eyesore. As for political signs, if someone puts Obama crap in my yard it's outta there and I won't sneak in the middle of the night either. Sue me.

I would be very inclined to feel the same. ;) No yard signs would be part of my lease.

Actually our lease says I do have the right to walk in anytime I want. People agree and sign.

That would be a lease I would refuse to sign. I've had a couple of scary landlords. I've had landlords that did just that...walk in any time they wanted, no call, no knocking, I would not be dressed, and I would hear them in the house, throw on clothes, and go see what they were doing. They had several excuses from tinkering with appliances to having stuff they had stored in the basement.

Here's a landlord pov.

It's my house, it's my yard. Renters do not own it, they do not pay property taxes on it and do not have the right to claim it as their own.

When you lease out a property, unless the lease explicitly states otherwise so, you do not have the right to add decorations to the yard like signs. The house and yard are presently leased out to a tenant, for the use of the tenant. Generally leases here state that the only signage the landlord will put up is a FOR RENT sign and only for a certain timeframe when the tenant has given notice.

Presumabably, the tenant is paying rent. They should not be forced to allow advertising in their yard that they did not explicitly agree to in the lease permit.

Bad tenants suck. But the fact that you rented to bad renters does not mean that the OP is obligated to let her landlord break the lease agreement (if it is indeed him.) if I find a yard sign in front of where I live and I did not put it there? I am taking it down. On the spot. Doesn't matter if I rent or own. Since I don't like such signs except in rare cases, it likely doesn't matter if I am supportive of the campaign or not.

Rent is either enough to cover the taxes and costs and then some OR it is the market rate allowing an owner who can't /does not want to sell to offset the costs of keeping the place. Tenants pay rent. Saying "they don't pay the taxes" is absurd. They usually pay a pretty penny. If you don't want bad tenants, set a higher rent and screen, screen, screen. You won't eliminate them but you will reduce the odds of getting bad ones.

Actually our lease says I do have the right to walk in anytime I want. People agree and sign.

We used to be landlords and took a class on housing law as part of our mortgage program....they were very clear that people can't sign away their legal rights just because you put something in the lease.

There's your POV and then there's the law. Which I'd be checking into if I were the OP, because that would drive me CRAZY. Speaking as a former landlord, it is, if nothing else, incredibly rude.

Your lease can't break the law. Here, that would break the law. You may want to check.

Renting to people dumb enough or desperate enough to be willing to sign off on that? Well that may have something to do with why you have bad tenants you need to evict. People with good rental histories, good credit and steady jobs are not likely to agree to wacky and potentially illegal terms like that!

Your lease can't break the law. Here, that would break the law. You may want to check.

Renting to people dumb enough or desperate enough to be willing to sign off on that? Well that may have something to do with why you have bad tenants you need to evict. People with good rental histories, good credit and steady jobs are not likely to agree to wacky and potentially illegal terms like that!

:iagree:

No you don't. Lease doesn't trump law. Otherwise a landlord could walk in while renters are in the shower, having sex, or Christmas dinner and the renter would have no right to tell them to get out. Nonsense. You have to have legitimate business reason and or give notice. That's the basic law in every state, iirc.

We were renting a property that had been sold. We had a political sign out and the day after elections it disappeared. We know it was the landlord that took it down, but we just joked about it to him (letting him know that we knew he took it...he just cringed and didn't say anything). Technically, it's theft of property ;) (and, yes, I alluded to that).

No. Maybe not. Many municipalities have rules that all campaign signs have to be removed within 48 hours. He *might* have been turdy about it, once the election is over, most people are quick to remove signs to avoid fines. Especially if there are HOA rules or whatever. If he waited until AFTER the election, then I'd give benefit of the doubt.:)

I'll say it again, just because it is written into a lease doesn't mean it's legal.

And most people won't want to rent from someone who expects them to pay every month AND act beholden to them for the supposed honor. It's not a privledge, it's a business arrangement.

No you don't. Lease doesn't trump law. Otherwise a landlord could walk in while renters are in the shower, having sex, or Christmas dinner and the renter would have no right to tell them to get out. Nonsense. You have to have legitimate business reason and or give notice. That's the basic law in every state, iirc.

:iagree: There are laws that protect renters. A few of the things being said here would violate those laws in most jurisdictions. You can't make a contract that violates the law. If that was true then all kinds of things - polygamy, drug dealing, unsafe labor conditions - could just be done through contract.

I get that it's frustrating to be a landlord - both my parents and my grandparents have had some bad stories about their experiences owning income property. And sometimes there may be too many protections.

I also just don't find the other political party to be so evil that I couldn't take it if I owned a property and signs from a candidate I didn't support were put there. Who cares.

That would be fine to me. We don't tend to put out signs, but last year sort of for fun, we put our ONE sign from one party out in the midst of 6--yes, 6--signs put out by the landlord for the other party. ?!

The only issue I have with our current landlord is that he often does things that are continual reminders that "This is NOT your house! Don't get comfy or make this a "home" for your family because it's MINE." I don't think he even sees it this way and he certainly doesn't *say* it, but he IS saying it, kwim? I'm paying someone to let my family have a home even for a short time and now, I'm not going to sign another lease and HE will lose out because of this sort of attitude. We knew when we signed the lease that the business was right next door. We did not know that they wouldn't keep normal business hours and pound metal objects in the shop until after 11 p.m.! Or that they'd keep the back door open and stand there smoking while our children play in the yard--creepy. Or that whenever work needs to be done on the outside, including suddenly cutting down trees (!) that people would just show up without notice. We'll explain our reasoning when we don't re-sign. LOL

If we're paying on time every single month, taking care of the property (even though his "lawn care" and snow removal is intermittent at BEST--and he's using OUR lawnmower which we allowed because he doesn't have one that works.), then I think we should be able to have some sense of privacy, etc. Of course we let him in. Of course I could understand if he didn't want any signs at all. But to need the space we rent out to put out signs right next to his business where he ALSO puts signs? Really? It just seems kind of in-your-face. :confused:

Sorry, this turned into a vent way beyond my original question. LOL!

I'm a landlord and I cannot imagine doing anything like that. IMO when a renter rents our place, he/she is paying for use of all land and building unless otherwise specified in the contract. As such, it would be wrong for me to retain use of the yard during the political season unless I indicated that in the contract.

I think you are being too kind to your landlord :)

I am a landlord too and I would never do something like that. Of course, I am not one to put signs in my own yard - so maybe that has something to do with my thinking. Even it I put aside the fact that I think political signs are a waste of time and money - I wouldn't put ANY signage in a tenants lawn or the like.

The last house we rented had a part about how we can not put up signs, including political signs. In that house, I don't see how we could have done it in any effective way anyway since all we had at the street location was an asphalt driveway with no place to put a sign. That house was back behind another house.

I don;t really remember what we included in our contracts for our rental property when we owned it. I know we didn't put up candidate;s signs and I really wouldn't expect any landlord to do so either.

I also just don't find the other political party to be so evil that I couldn't take it if I owned a property and signs from a candidate I didn't support were put there. Who cares.

Yeah... I don't really get this either. :001_huh: I mean, when we rented, people thought it was our house. They didn't know our landlords. They would have assumed a political sign represented our political ideals. If people are good renters, is someone really going to take them to task for a political sign? Do they have to get any outdoor items approved? What if they put lights in the bushes at Christmas and the landlord hates Christmas?

However, I can't imagine this situation in reverse either. A landlord putting political signs in the yard of his rental. I mean, what if an apartment complex decided they were going to make every renter display a sign in their window that says "I love Obama" or "I love Romney"? That has to be illegal somehow... even though the renters don't own the units...

No. Maybe not. Many municipalities have rules that all campaign signs have to be removed within 48 hours. He *might* have been turdy about it, once the election is over, most people are quick to remove signs to avoid fines. Especially if there are HOA rules or whatever. If he waited until AFTER the election, then I'd give benefit of the doubt.:)

Our area did not have rules regarding such. There definitely was no HOA. The sign disappeared overnight. Election, next morning my sign was gone. The signs are considered personal property and he simply could have asked that I remove the sign. It was a duplex. Both sides had signs out for opposing parties (we knew the other couple well enough that who we voted for was not a matter of contention and there was enough respect that neither of us would have removed the others signage. The landlord had hinted at the fact that he had something to do with it's disappearance with a smirk, thinking it would show that he "got the better" of us. He started twitching when we joked about how someone that would steal a sign in the middle of the night must've really had their panties in a wad to do something so childish and showed that it really didn't bother us, but apparently our sign bothered the thief).

:iagree: Few things make me more angry than landlords with a God complex who think they get to do whatever the heck they want to their tenants. It would be like a bank saying they could do whatever they want to anyone's home who has a mortgage. It just doesn't work that way. Thankfully, most states have decent laws to protect tenants from screwballs like this.

Hmmm... this thread is reminding me that we have signs in the yard out front.

I'm assuming the landlord doesn't care, as he drives by here on his way to work every day, and sees DH there. :D

I don't really care for signs in the yard, but the ladies who came to the door were just so nice, and they were like, 'Do you want signs?' all happy and stuff.... I just had to say sure, why not... I was kind of hoping they'd just hand them to me, but nope, they went ahead and stuck them in the yard for me. They gave me bumper stickers, too... which are still laying on the table by the front door, as I don't 'do' bumper stickers, either. :p

Hmmm... this thread is reminding me that we have signs in the yard out front.

I'm assuming the landlord doesn't care, as he drives by here on his way to work every day, and sees DH there. :D

I don't really care for signs in the yard, but the ladies who came to the door were just so nice, and they were like, 'Do you want signs?' all happy and stuff.... I just had to say sure, why not... I was kind of hoping they'd just hand them to me, but nope, they went ahead and stuck them in the yard for me. They gave me bumper stickers, too... which are still laying on the table by the front door, as I don't 'do' bumper stickers, either. :p

My Lease prohibits signs of any kind.

But I probably wouldn't bother to remove them, especially for something that is going to resolve itself in 2 months.