Menu

Bacon!!!

I have too much bacon. My dh works for an local organic, sustainable farm that does - well, all kinds of stuff, but pastured pork. We get meat when we either buy it at discounted prices or if it doesn't quite seal right so they can't sell it. They had a whole batch of artisan cured bacon not get sealed well. So we have a lot right now. It's pretty much our only meat at the moment with our financial situation. I need some good ideas for making meals around bacon! :lol::lol::lol: Anyone?

Edited by sunnylady303

:D Now ground beef I would know what to do with. Not 150 pounds though. :lol:

that;s exactly my problem. My kids are getting tired of spaghetti, tacos, burgers, meatloaf and sloppy joes.

We raise our own beef, and the steaks and roasts go first. Then we have to plow through the ground stuff. It is wonderful meat, but I do like variety.

I have now heard everything. I did not know it was possible to have too much bacon :tongue_smilie:

If I had enough space in my oven I could cook 10 pounds of it and eat it all.

Since I'm low carbing it I have to get creative. I like to wrap things in bacon and bake them on a high temp. You say that is your only meat right now, so maybe veggie sticks.

Or crumble in salads, on top of bread with some cheese and broil, in lentil or bean soups, with eggs in an omelet or frittata, BLT sandwiches....

Warm Bacon Slaw Cook 6 slices thick-cut bacon in 1 tablespoon olive oil; drain and crumble. Add 1/2 sliced red onion, 1/4 cup each cider vinegar and water, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds to the drippings. Toss with 6 cups shredded cabbage and the bacon.

Now I'm hungry.

Bacon wrapped dates. Crumbled bacon to pull out of the freezer and use with salads.. Bacon wrapped weiners.... Bacon in spinach salad...(with mandarin oranges) Pinterest would have some good ideas :) Bacon, bacon, bacon!! :) I bet someone around you would trade bacon for some other meat :) If I ate pork, I'd jump at the chance to get "good bacon"!! :)

Bacon and eggs for breakfast, BLT's for lunch. I could do that just about every day.

For supper, Potato soup with copious amount of bacon, someone posted a bacon and kale skillet the other day that was fabulous. I think you could make a tasty stir fry or fried rice with bacon and veggies. Roasted veggies/potatoes and bacon. Cauliflower and/or broccoli and bacon soup. Bacon and bean soup. Flavor your beans with bacon and use in burritos. BLT salad.

Since the packages aren't sealed well, store them in the freezer until you can use them so that don't spoil.

You've received some great ideas but you still might get tired of bacon. Do you use Facebook or have a homeschool group in your area? If so, maybe offer to trade some bacon for a whole chicken or something. If you were near me, I'd trade with you. I'd get some tasty bacon and you'd get a break from it.

We love bacon here - wish I could take some off your hands! How about a trade for fresh free-range eggs? Our chickens are outdoing themselves and I can't make enough egg dishes to keep up! :)

Bacon dishes we love:

BLT sandwiches

Bacon egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches (especially yummy on croissants)

Green beans with bacon balsamic vinaigrette

Quiche with bacon

Pasta with bacon

Bacon just by itself! :D

You can copy Burger King and make Bacon Sundaes. I kid you not.

We are a less-meat family, so I use it on pizzas, breakfast for dinner, soups, etc. Just use it in casseroles in the place of other meat.

It's just very handy to have it pre-cooked in the freezer.

For special occasions (like wedding receptions), I've made Baby BLTs:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baby-blt/

Stuffed tomatoes with lots of bacon inside. Delicious. Not healthy!

Consider it a fun problem to have. :001_smile:

Mmmm...bacon! This morning at breakfast my 9yodd was suggesting that we make bacon ice cream.

Quiche is delicious with bacon, also cheese/bacon strata with mushrooms. Bacon on chef salad, baked potatoes, potato soup. I'd probably freeze half.

Have you taken the quiz that determines how addicted to bacon you are? http://www.recipestar.com/quizzes/view/bacon-addict

:D

Edited by Susan in TN

-Spinach Salad (w/ tomato, cheese, bacon, eggs on top w/ warm bacon/mustard dressing) http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spinach-salad-with-warm-bacon-mustard-dressing/

-Hard boiled egg & bacon casserole (I just made this yesterday- yummmmmm) http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/breakfast-recipes/brunch-egg-bacon-casserole.htm

-Calico Beans (similar to the recipe I used- except I use 1lb of bacon and no ground beef) SOOOOO good in the crockpot :)http://allrecipes.com/recipe/calico-bean-casserole/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=calico%20beans&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe%20Search%20Results

I have too much bacon.

:blink: I'm sorry. I do not understand this statement. :blink:

Spaghetti carbonara

Any pasta with bacon

Frittatas

Bacon wrapped chicken

Bacon wrapped steaks

Bacon wrapped bacon

Bacon and eggs

Bacon and bacon

Bacon and beans

Bacon in fried rice

BLTs

Turkey bacon melts

Potato soup with bacon

Pea soup with bacon

Bean soup with bacon

Any soup with bacon

Any casserole with bacon

Bacon is meat candy.

I make fried rice with bacon.

Fry up 6 slices of bacon til crispy. Remove it to cool. Use the bacon grease to fry up the onions and other veggies. (I assume you know how to make fried rice?) Then continue the recipe as normal. Don't drain off the grease because the rice coated in it is yummmmm.

Not good for the cholesterol, but a yummy treat. We never have leftovers of bacon fried rice. :)

I made a DELICIOUS (if I can say so myself) corn chowder with a pound of bacon tonight. Our store had nitrate free bacon on sale! I chopped the bacon and cooked it slowly till crisp to render the fat. Then removed the bacon and cooked shallots, celery, and garlic in the bacon fat. Meanwhile, I shucked the fresh corn and cut it off the cob. I brought some chicken stock to a boil with the corn cobs to extract their corn flavor. YUM. When the veggies were tender, I added several sliced zucchini and the corn/chicken stock. Brought it to a boil, then simmered until the zucchini was tender. Added the cut corn, salt and pepper, and cooked for about 5 minutes on medium. Added a cup of half and half and served with the crispy bacon and green onions to put on top. If I hadn't been in such a hurry, I would have added a chopped up red bell pepper and some green beans with the zucchini. Although you don't need any of it to make a delicious corn chowder. It is one of my favorites!

By the way - this made enough to feed my household of nine plus four guests. You might use less bacon if its for a smaller crowd.

One of my favorites that is super cheap is Cabbage and Bacon. I slice up the bacon and throw it in a heavy pot (like Le Creuset) with a sliced onion. Brown that for a while to get the grease all rendered and then throw in as much cabbage as you'd like. Stir and put on the lid. Steam/brown for a while, then stir and re-lid. It takes about 45 minutes for the cabbage to get tender and the bacon crisp.

YUM