Menu

OK, I think my brain is broken

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd also love to know more about "schools of the old days" that are briefly referred to in the intro to TWTM where you talk about your mother's aunt and uncle and them teaching her to read with phonics. I'd love to know more of the real history of educational fads.

Yeah, this would be COOL. Like, WWLID? (What would Laura Ingalls do?)

So glad to be Canadian right now! :lol:

Could you address the craziness of the homeschoolers bickering amongst themselves.

for example and please note, I am talking about anything ON THIS FORUM! This is my sad pathic local support system at times.

The unschoolers won't play with the Mason educators who are too stuck up to play with the eclectic parents. The spiral math followers are too opinionated to listen to a mastery followers, or is that vice versa?

There is so many people that just forget that it's about the CHILD! Not your opinions on how to educate the child. What does the child need? How does the child learn? Just because you hated Saxon doesn't mean your child will. KWIM? No wonder the brick and mortar parents think we can be nuts (and yes, some of the Canadians on this board are but that is a whole other discussion!) because we forget that we should be acting like we were taught in Kindergarten. Play nice, treat others with respect, listen kindly to their words, then decide on your answer, etc.

Instead, we look like a crazy bunch of kindergarteners running around with scissors ready to poke someone's eye out! Don't even get me started with how "true" homeschoolers treat those who chose or need to use some classes in a brick and mortar setting!

The infighting is enough to send us newbies to the block party running for the hills! My only problem is where I live, the only hills are overpasses on the highway!

Rant off. Thanks.

How to feed the kids when your suppose to be homeschooling

Schedules and homeschooling

Entertaining stories about your kids. I always love your take on the kids;)

Why you have to stoves in your kitchen.

The most creative ways your children get out of their schoolwork.

How to encourage the melodramatic child.

So glad to be Canadian right now! :lol:

Could you address the craziness of the homeschoolers bickering amongst themselves.

for example and please note, I am talking about anything ON THIS FORUM! This is my sad pathic local support system at times.

The unschoolers won't play with the Mason educators who are too stuck up to play with the eclectic parents. The spiral math followers are too opinionated to listen to a mastery followers, or is that vice versa?

There is so many people that just forget that it's about the CHILD! Not your opinions on how to educate the child. What does the child need? How does the child learn? Just because you hated Saxon doesn't mean your child will. KWIM? No wonder the brick and mortar parents think we can be nuts (and yes, some of the Canadians on this board are but that is a whole other discussion!) because we forget that we should be acting like we were taught in Kindergarten. Play nice, treat others with respect, listen kindly to their words, then decide on your answer, etc.

Instead, we look like a crazy bunch of kindergarteners running around with scissors ready to poke someone's eye out! Don't even get me started with how "true" homeschoolers treat those who chose or need to use some classes in a brick and mortar setting!

The infighting is enough to send us newbies to the block party running for the hills! My only problem is where I live, the only hills are overpasses on the highway!

Rant off. Thanks.

:iagree:

A parody post caricaturing homeschooling camps would be a hoot!

How to keep focused on teaching the child you've got instead of the elusive, perfect child in your head. Also, the sister issue, working with the curriculum you paid for vs lamenting the perfect curriculum you just know is over the next hill or in the next google search.

Some ideas:

-balancing house and home

-when to push and when to back off, and how to know.

-lessons children learn just by being home and not in school (unplugging toilets :glare:, cooking healthy meals from scratch, laundry, helping familiy out in times of need)

-how to handle an argumentative child.... :)

Other ideas percolating here....

:iagree: I like these. I'd also like to see one about the role of extracurricular activities in education, if you haven't done that before..

Or how about, "How to ease the angst of the 15.5 year old when his 13 year old brother catches up to him in math and it's not because the 15.5 year old is a very poor mathematician, but because his younger brother is a mini-Pascal!"

This could also include the formula for calculating the proper dosage of chocolate chips for the mother that has to fix the above situation by reminding elder son that he's lightyears ahead of his sibling in writing skills and understanding the intricacies of art history which has prompted a minor civil war in the living room in which they have faced off for a "my favorite subjects are better than your favorite subjects" battle.

Dh has been sent to mediate. I need chocolate.

Faith

I'd like to know how to homeschool while an extended family member crisis is going on.

My dad's in the hospital on a ventialtor. They're having trouble getting him off of it. Dad's going to be recovering for a LONG time I'm thinking.

How do I do that? I'm planning on starting school next week. I could use some tips on how to balance it all; schooling the kids, plus everything else us mamas do, plus being one of three daughters there to support dad in recovery.

:lol:

How about letting go? I just had my third leave for college, and it just isn't easy no matter how many times you do it. I resist the urge to text him all day long. :001_smile:

How about advice from your college kids? My ds always has advice on how to educate his sisters. Some of it is very good, and all of it is very interesting. He has a great perspective.

How long to let a rabbit trail go, or to even allow one? What makes a good, worthy, rabbit trail?

Yes! this.....and the gifted kid who doesn't want to work.

I hope there is a poll to follow shortly!

Finding the balance between stretching a child's limits and pushing too hard.

How do you manage to feed everyone, keep the house somewhat orderly, school everyone, while there's a toddler running about?

How to do the transition from nap time to quiet time. There is no way my preschooler would be quiet for even 30 minutes. I think I've heard you and your mom recommend that you just keep putting them in their crib for nap time and not let them know that getting out is an option. But the preschooler can get out on his own and the only time we can do school is when the toddler is napping. I'm just struggling with figuring out when to do quiet time without it being TV time.

What on earth progymnasmata means?

How about:

Mental Illness and Homeschooling: Latin Declensions, Kilts, Tunics, and Cupcakes

:D

Here are some more serious ideas:

--Foreign language. So many seem to think that a computer program will get their kid speaking and understanding fluently. There is so much more to learning a language. A good language study should include conversation with real people, reading, watching TV or movies, etc.

--Preparing for AP exams

--AP versus CLEP

--How to evaluate a potential college

--Travel in the home school

The politics of homeschooling rights in an election year.

How to navigate homeschool groups and lists in an election year. Sigh.

For example, my local homeschool store put out propaganda on their facebook page this morning. Am I still okay with doing a class there? It stresses me out.

For example, my local homeschool store put out propaganda on their facebook page this morning. Am I still okay with doing a class there? It stresses me out.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I'm sorry. It's that time of year in the lifecycle of the American culture in which "pass the bean dip" just isn't good enough.

I vote for chocolate, rum cake, cupcakes, a margarita, and NOT being involved in homeschool groups this year! :001_smile:

Faith

Hopefully, we didn't make her more broken. Maybe she decided some fresh air and a horseback ride was a better idea. She's probably right.

:iagree: I'm putting my money on this!

You could write about how you asked for ideas, and the crazy women on the forum you founded helped to remind you that if it weren't for humor, we'd all be committed by now (self included)? :D

Actually, you have received some great ideas! I'm partial to "gifted kids not wanting to work" and "how to homeschool when the child in reality is not the one in your head".

Looking forward to reading what you choose!

How about encouragements to college kids who are trying to get their foot in the door of the writing and publishing world? You did it...how can they get their work noticed? Quite an uphill struggle of a million twists and turns, it seems... :001_smile:

Something, anything for the dads.

Not the ones that actually homeschool the kids themselves, but for the dads who are supporting the homeschooling moms.

There is not much out there for our men!!

Oh, and pretty much what everyone else said.

I really, really, really wish you had a Canadian geography/history curriculum. That would be perfect :)

Where did she go? :lol:

She wondered what on earth she'd done and ran for the hills!! Hey, at least we can provide entertainment value.

I do think the politics of homeschooling in an election year would be interesting, although it's not like it's really being discussed on the national stage.

LOVE the "Gifted Kids Who Don't Want to Work" idea. I even have a title: "The Lazy Genius: What to do when your gifted kid would rather just play Minecraft all day."

Perhaps a Best of the Hive post.... homeschooling moms gone mad.

Some top ten lists... Top ten favorite classic novels, top ten controversial homeschooling topics, top ten hidden pitfalls of homeschool groups, etc.

Yeah.

I did, however, limit myself to 'homeschooling rights' as an issue. I carefully avoided the whole 'who you obviously should vote for if you have a brain in your head and a soul anywhere' issue. :)

Oh, I hope we didn't break her brain.

"Because a mind is a terrible thing to waste!" :D

Speaking of broken brains, our church administrative assistant broke dh's and he's trying to fix it by ignoring church work and reading National Geographic.

You want to know how??? He used Imp's motto (not certain of the exact phrasing and too lazy to go look it up), "Common Sense is so rare it should be called a superpower." The assistant (26 yrs. of age) didn't get it. He spent 15 minutes trying to explain it and the boy still didn't get it. Dh's brain is hurting.

If it can happen to dh, I am afraid to say it could possibly happen to the Overmind.

Sorry Susan!

Faith - note that all of my apostrophes are appropriate because I'm being extra careful not to hurt Mrs. Mungo who is, herself, having a rather stressful day.

"Because a mind is a terrible thing to waste!" :D

Speaking of broken brains, our church administrative assistant broke dh's and he's trying to fix it by ignoring church work and reading National Geographic.

You want to know how??? He used Imp's motto (not certain of the exact phrasing and too lazy to go look it up), "Common Sense is so rare it should be called a superpower." The assistant (26 yrs. of age) didn't get it. He spent 15 minutes trying to explain it and the boy still didn't get it. Dh's brain is hurting.

If it can happen to dh, I am afraid to say it could possibly happen to the Overmind.

Sorry Susan!

Faith - note that all of my apostrophes are appropriate because I'm being extra careful not to hurt Mrs. Mungo who is, herself, having a rather stressful day.

Woooo hoooo! I'm being quoted by Thor, Lord of fire and things that go BOOM!! :D

Oh! Something to keep you busy...do a curric that replaces the emphasis on US history w/Canadian history.

I, for one, would be eternally grateful. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: That would be amazing.

Levels of insanity in hsing moms based on country of origin (I think we Canadians are winning!)
I'm totally picturing Susan, head in her hands, asking herself, "Why, oh WHY did I start that thread..."
Politics and religion

:lol::lol:

Some ideas:

-balancing house and home

-when to push and when to back off, and how to know.

-lessons children learn just by being home and not in school (unplugging toilets :glare:, cooking healthy meals from scratch, laundry, helping familiy out in times of need)

-how to handle an argumentative child.... :)

I think those would be excellent ideas. I would love to hear more on those.

I've been hearing a lot of people here and on other homeschool lists say that they are having a tough time seeing friends/family/neighborhood kids going back to school (seeing the first day pictures on Facebook, watching the schoolbus go by). They are wondering if their kids are missing out on something and feeling that twinge.

I don't know if you have already written about this, but it seems like something a lot of people are talking about right now.

I don't know how common this is; but I'll throw it out there anyway.

The biggest struggle in our house is authentic assessment of progress.

I guess I see it in the forums sometimes under the umbrella of "mommy grades" most closely.

I hunt now and then for guidance on it, there is a huge array of thought on it.