Menu

PSA: Always wear gloves when cleaning out your dryer vent!

Why? Because if you don't, you will detach the vent from the dryer and use your bare hand to scoop out that little bit of lint laying in a pile at the bottom of the dryer and then you will find yourself holding, not lint, but a dehydrated mouse covered in lint! Ewwww!!!!

I feel your pain.

I once reached way down to the bottom of a laundry hamper in the basement for a lone, dark sock. When I attempted to unroll it for washing, that's when I realized it was a dead mouse. :ack2:

I did the gross-out dance to the amusement of my kids and washed my hands like Lady Macbeth for the rest of the day.

Why? Because if you don't, you will detach the vent from the dryer and use your bare hand to scoop out that little bit of lint laying in a pile at the bottom of the dryer and then you will find yourself holding, not lint, but a dehydrated mouse covered in lint! Ewwww!!!!

Oh. Yuck.

And I thought finding a headless rabbit near the playground yesterday was bad.

I'm shuddering on your behalf here. On the bright side, at least it was dehydrated...

Thanks for all the sympathy :) I'm trying not to think about it. I keep reliving the the sequence of reach for a ball of lint, realize that it seems more solid than it should, toss it in the wastebasket and then realize that it had a tail.

I've used lots of soap this afternoon!

And we have a new rule in my house - Mom does not clean the dryer vent - ever! I'm definitely blaming my oldest son and my dh since I had asked them both to do it in recent weeks as I noticed my dryer was not drying as fast as it should. They both put it off which caused me to lose my head and do it myself. So, of course, it's entirely their fault :)

I'm also blaming my cat (whom I affectionately call "stupid cat" anyway) because she's been dragging half-dead mice from our barn and leaving them on the porch right beside my dryer vent. I'm guessing this was one of her 'victims' that escaped.

One of my friends on fb just posted the he had found a dead baby possum in theirs - it could have been worse - much worse.

Ick! I reached in the sump pump to fish a dark sock out and that sock was a drowned vole! :tongue_smilie:

O.K. I think that made me shudder worse than the dried-out mouse! You win!

We have a sump pump right next to the washer/dryer - I'm never looking in there again.

I feel your pain.

I once reached way down to the bottom of a laundry hamper in the basement for a lone, dark sock. When I attempted to unroll it for washing, that's when I realized it was a dead mouse. :ack2:

I did the gross-out dance to the amusement of my kids and washed my hands like Lady Macbeth for the rest of the day.

Why is it that our kids are so amused by these things? When I told my 8yods what had happened, he had no concern for me. His first question was "Where's the mouse now? I want to see it. Can I go get it? " Noooooooo!

Oh, noooo! I can see it happening here. Thanks for the heads up. My lovely cat gave me several nice experiences recently. I thought she was playing in the covers the way she does when I make the bed. "oh how cute, she wants to play." I throw the covers over her head like I always do and underneath is a dead mouse that she has brought into my room and hidden in the covers. Wasn't that thoughtful?:willy_nilly:

I would also be traumatized! :eek:

I found two dehydrated snakes when I was cleaning our basement before our last move. I don't know what bothered me more...finding dehydrated snakes or realizing that they were once alive, much larger, and in our house! :scared:

At least I didn't actually touch them. (we used a shop vac) :lol:

Better dehydrated than alive or gooey! :lol:

When we cleaned the outside of the dryer vent- so where it lets out, I found a birds nest and a dead bird. I will now add mouse to my list of dryer venting possibilities.

Just think- the Romans roasted them, stuffed them and turned them into dinner. I am happy that recipe is not in the SOTW activity guide.