Menu

Breakfast Idea

What's your weekday breakfast style?  

1. 1. What's your weekday breakfast style?

• We usually skip breakfast
    • We eat cereal, instant oatmeal, or grab on the go stuff
    • We have sit down, stick to your rib breakfasts, like pancakes, etc.
    • We aren't into breakfast foods, so we eat cold pizza, etc.

Yes, another poll and call out for idea / recipes. We've been in a cereal rut during weekdays and would really like to add some variety to breakfast.

1) What's your breakfast style?

2) Can you share a recipe for breakfast that you would have at home?

3) ....one for on the go?

We are pretty boring.

DS usually has 2 poached eggs, some fruit, greek yogurt and sometimes a piece of sourdough bread.

I drink a smoothie as my first meal often because I use a fiber and it's the easiest way. I do a protein powder, blueberries, almonds, coconut oil, water. Or greek yogurt instead of the protein.

DD likes grilled cheese for breakfast.

I still need to make Mrs Mungo's baked oatmeal.

ETA I don't know to vote, we don't eat cold pizza, and I don't consider pancakes a stick to your ribs kind of thing. My kids would be in a carb crash. Unless I make bacon or something, and that is too much work in the morning. I sometimes make things like that for supper

I personally think PB&J makes a better breakfast than lunch. So our on-the-go breakfast is usually PB&J, a cheese stick, banana or apple, and milk. Sometimes I substitute meat/cheese/crackers for the PB&J and cheese stick.

Breakfasts aren't very fancy here. At home we cycle between:

oatmeal (I like mine w/unsweetened coconut, walnuts, and various fruits--banana/pineapple, apricot, dried cranberries)

omelets or scrambled eggs with whatever ingredients we have on hand--DS really likes broccoli in his eggs

meat & cheese with crackers

grilled ham/cheese

leftovers

plus milk and fruit

I'm with Lisa--pancakes aren't a stick-to-your ribs breakfast in my opinion. Must.have.protein! This morning DS asked for Cheerios and I gave him some cantaloupe too. He surveyed it and declared, "Mommy, my need meat!" He's not 3 yet, but he knows he's a carnivore!

Edited by AndyJoy

1) As of late, I've been skipping breakfast, and my kids have gotten into the rut of having cereal or convenient food snacks, like go-gurt, cereal bar, a piece of fruit, a box milk. I posted this poll as part of my effort to start making a meal plan and stop buying so much convenience food.

2) Breakfast Ice Cream (for all of those who have brown frozen bananas in their fridge)

Ingredients:

2 frozen bananas

1 small avocado (1/2 cup)

2 tblsp. honey

1 tblsp. chocolate syrup or Nutella or 1 tsp. cocoa powder

1 tblsp. peanut butter

1/4 cup Greek Plain Yogurt

In a mini-food processor or blender, combine all ingredients. Pulse until smoth. Should make about 2 cups of "ice cream". I have a cup, my kids each have half a cup. We're in the mists of a heatwave, so very nice treat this morning!

3) Nutella Banana Honey Sandwiches (really the names says it all)

Spread about a tblsp. nutella on whole wheat bread, thinly slice half a banana into small pieces over bread. Drizzle honey over the bananas. Place another slice of bread on top. Cut in half. My kids will eat a half sandwich. I would give them this with a go-gurt, a piece of fruit, and a thermos of milk.

DH is a farmer so he needs good food early. We have a rotation:

Monday: Breakfast burrito - eggs, potatoes, some kind of meat, sometimes beans, cheese, other veggies.

Tuesday: Steel cut oats with almond butter and whatever fruit we have

Wednesday: Eggs on toast with cream cheese and fruit

Thursday: Oatmeal muffins with eggs

Friday: Veggie Omelets

I rotate these every 16 days.

1. Eggs and toast

2. Muffins

3. Breakfast wrap

4. Pancakes

5. Waffles

6. Oatmeal

7. Granola

8. Toasted bagel

9. French toast

10. Home fried potatoes

11. Scones

12. Biscuits

13. Cheese toast

14. Strata

15. Toasted English muffin

16. Frittata

We have:

oatmeal-the kind you cook with whatever fruit sounds good

eggs- fried on an english muffin, scrambled, and occasionally an omelet

pancakes

muffins-homemade pumpkin, blueberry etc usually with some yogurt and a fruit

waffles

toast with peanut butter or Nutella

cold cereal- very occasionally b/c the kids are always hungry and hour after eating it and they can go through a box in 2 days

I make these occasionally as well everyone loves them:

Donut Muffins

• 1/3 cup shortening
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 medium egg
  • 1-1/2 cups flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup milk

For The Topping:

• 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup melted margarine

In a mixing bowl mash together the shortening and sugar. Add the egg and whisk it all up until it is smooth. Make sure you use shortening, Not Margarine. The shortening gives this recipe it’s special texture. Measure the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg into the bowl. Pour in the milk. Mix the batter with a whisk until it is smooth. Drop the mixture into 12 oiled muffin cups. Make sure not to over fill the muffin cups, 1/2 to 2/3 full is full enough. Bake the muffins at 350 for 25 minutes, or until the muffins are brown on top. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly.

Mix the powdered sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.

Take the muffins out of the pan. When they are cool enough to handle, dip the tops of the muffins into the melted margarine. Then dip them into the powdered sugar/cinnamon mixture. Arrange the prepared muffins on a large plate and serve while still warm. Makes a dozen. Very good for breakfast and after school or midnight snacks.

This recipe is very very old, at least 80 years old. It was created by a cook with leftover donut batter who didn’t have time to deep fry them. She added a little milk to make the batter thinner, and cooked it in muffin cups instead of deep frying it. The nutmeg is the secret ingredients which gives these muffins their special old fashioned donut flavor. Necessity is the mother of invention, and bless the cook who invented these. My family is grateful.

None of the above.

We don't do a formal, sit-down meal, and we don't eat meat. However, breakfast is usually a cooked meal.

My daughter's preferred breakfast is a couple slices of toasted, home-made bread, one hash brown pattie (which, to my everlasting shame, I buy frozen), soy milk and fruit.

My son prefers oatmeal (but can't stand the instant kind) cooked in soy milk, a couple of hash brown patties and a protein-powder-spiked fruit smoothie.

Both will also eat home-made muffins, pancakes or waffles.

On days when my husband is here, he eats whatever the kids choose that day.

I usually eat oatmeal or toast, or sometimes rice cakes spread with jam and a handful of cashews.

We generally eat muffins, cinnamon rolls, breakfast breads or bacon/eggs/toast. My oven is not working right now, so it is pancakes, bacon eggs or something else non-baked. One of our favorites:

Breakfast Braid

• 5 eggs
  • 1/2 lb sausage (or bacon or ham)
  • 1 cup shredded cheese (we usually use cheddar or colby jack)
  • 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk (regular milk works, too)
  • 7 tablespoons butter, melted
  • non stick cooking spray
  • 1 tsp Chopped parsley
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder

Brown sausage in skillet. Scramble eggs in same pan, until just set but all the way cooked. Mix the eggs, sausage, and cheese together and set aside. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Stir together milk and melted butter. Add to the dry ingredients to make a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 7-10 times. Coat a baking sheet with non-stick spray. Place dough on baking sheet and roll to a 12x10 rectangle. Spoon egg/sausage/cheese mixture down center 1/3 of dough. Cut slits in dough one inch apart on each side of the center mixture. Lift strips of dough up and over the mixture, alternating sides to create a braid. Bake 22-25 minutes at 375. Combine 1 tablespoon melted butter, parsley, and garlic. Brush over warm bread. Let cool for fifteen minutes then slice and serve.

eta: I forgot that the kiddos love breakfast burritos and left over fried chicken in a biscuit.

My 5yo son is going to Kindergarten this year. I had thought I would fix him a good breakfast to start his day, but he really isn't too hungry for breakfast. I offer mini bagels with cream cheese, scrambled eggs, oatmeal muffins (We have them baked and in the freezer for quick snacks or breakfasts.), juice, and toast. He usually just has a cup of hot cocoa, and a piece of toast cut in half. I put peanut butter on one side and butter and cinnamon sugar on the other. He is not hungry when he gets home later either. He doesn't really get hungry until about 2p.m. I am sure that will change soon enough, then he will eat me out of house and home. I was going to give him French toast one day a week, but I am saving that for weekends, since he isn't hungry enough for them so early in the day.

Cheap = warm & homemade but not too much work

Pancakes (plain, banana, apple...topped with homemade syrup or sweetened sour cream & berries)

French Toast made with homemade bread (plain, sticks, caramel)

Eggs (scrambled, egg sandwich, omelette, crepes, egg bake)

Muffins (banana/choc chip/walnut, apple struedle, poppyseed, blueberry, pancake)

Granola w/peanut butter & choc chips

Smoothies (yogurt with frozen berries)

Breakfast cookies (made with peanut butter, coconut, oatmeal & bran cereal)

Most of these things are eaten as mid-morning snacks as well. I rarely have breakfast leftovers that last until lunchtime.

Baked Oatmeal (my 4yo requests this every day)

2 eggs

2 cups oatmeal

1/4 cup veg oil or applesauce

3/4 cup milk

1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

3/4 tsp cinnamon

Mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min. I usually bake it in a glass pie pan.

Cheap = warm & homemade but not too much work

Pancakes (plain, banana, apple...topped with homemade syrup or sweetened sour cream & berries)

French Toast made with homemade bread (plain, sticks, caramel)

Eggs (scrambled, egg sandwich, omelette, crepes, egg bake)

Muffins (banana/choc chip/walnut, apple struedle, poppyseed, blueberry, pancake)

Granola w/peanut butter & choc chips

Smoothies (yogurt with frozen berries)

Breakfast cookies (made with peanut butter, coconut, oatmeal & bran cereal)

Most of these things are eaten as mid-morning snacks as well. I rarely have breakfast leftovers that last until lunchtime.

Baked Oatmeal (my 4yo requests this every day)

2 eggs

2 cups oatmeal

1/4 cup veg oil or applesauce

3/4 cup milk

1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

3/4 tsp cinnamon

Mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min. I usually bake it in a glass pie pan.

Okay, stupid question I am sure but we have never eaten granola here (except in a granola bar). Granola with PB and CC sounds good. How do you serve that or how is that bought?

Yes, another poll and call out for idea / recipes. We've been in a cereal rut during weekdays and would really like to add some variety to breakfast.

3) ....one for on the go?

For awhile the breakfast request was for eggs. Hard boiled or sunny side up.

Today they requested garlic bread. :confused: Since that wasn't good enough for me they had lots of baby carrots and some peanut butter with it.

I think they are both in a funny mood today since the choosen lunch was:

a bit of yogurt

giant bowl of frozen peas

some sheets of seaweed

My kids can pick what they want for breakfast and lunch as long as we have it, it's really easy for me to fix, and is good for them.

They are also welcome to have what I make. Which is usually peanut butter toast on whole wheat for breakfast. For lunch today is was Soya chicken in a read curry sauce.

None of the above.

We don't do a formal, sit-down meal, and we don't eat meat. However, breakfast is usually a cooked meal.

My daughter's preferred breakfast is a couple slices of toasted, home-made bread, one hash brown pattie (which, to my everlasting shame, I buy frozen), soy milk and fruit.

My son prefers oatmeal (but can't stand the instant kind) cooked in soy milk, a couple of hash brown patties and a protein-powder-spiked fruit smoothie.

Both will also eat home-made muffins, pancakes or waffles.

On days when my husband is here, he eats whatever the kids choose that day.

I usually eat oatmeal or toast, or sometimes rice cakes spread with jam and a handful of cashews.

I posted, then went back to read the previous responses.

We also don't do a formal sit-down meal, and we don't eat meat. (Except dh who is usually already at work when we are eating)

I eat low carb. I usually make and freeze a bulk of LC muffins, waffles, or pancakes. Then I can just pop them in the toaster or microwave each morning.

My kiddos eat a variety of different things so they won't get tired of the same old thing. I will make and freeze pancakes or waffles for them, too. They also eat muffins, jelly or cinnamon toast, bagels and cream cheese, instant oatmeal, pop tarts, or fruit and yogurt.

Sometimes we eat bacon and eggs, or I'll make a breakfast casserole the night before and refrigerate it to warm up the next day.

I decided just this week that on weekdays, we will have either oatmeal or polenta (a.k.a. mush).

I'm tired of trying to make everybody happy, we can't afford cereal (never fills them up anyway) and I'm tired of making & cleaning up pancakes everyday.

Did I mention I'm tired?

We'll have fun stuff on the weekends.

We do different things depending on the situation. Sometimes we have something quick and sometimes I cook a meal.

There isn't a multiple choice or an "other."

I cook things like:

biscuits and eggs

hardboiled eggs and oatmeal

poached eggs and toast

grits, bacon and over easy eggs

hash from turkey sausage, eggs and potatoes

breakfast burritos

pancakes and eggs

smoothies, eggs and toast

cinnamon rolls and eggs

I make a lot of things from scratch because I need it to be dairy free. I generally substitute coconut milk for milk.

Edited by Sis

I voted sit-down, but it isn't really that formal, it just isn't grab and go. I make lots of eggs in various forms.

Some examples:

Baked oatmeal with almonds and blueberries

Biscuits and gravy with scrambled eggs

Omelets with veggies in them

Fried eggs with toast and fruit

Migas (this is eggs with chiles, fried tortilla strips and cheese)

Someone recently suggested bacon-wrapped little smokies, sprinkled with brown sugar and baked. That was a big hit with my kids. I served them with pancakes.

Various breakfast casseroles

Toaster waffles with peanut butter and eggs on the side (if I make real waffles it is for lunch or dinner)

Croissants and eggs

Breakfast pizza

Fried potatoes with sausage and eggs

I short, we have a lot of eggs. Usually, we add some sort of carb and/or fruit.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Most days I’m gone and dh does breakfast. He rotates between cereal, oatmeal (in the winter), bagels or toast and fruit, or a “McBagel” which is a bagel with scrambled eggs and cheese.

On the weekends or sometimes winter weekdays he often bakes: scones, popovers or banana bread. Or we’ll have eggs or omelets.

If I’m home I’m more likely to make eggs of some variety or omelets.

We rarely eat on the go but if we do a peanut butter/banana/honey sandwich is a staple for us.

Okay, stupid question I am sure but we have never eaten granola here (except in a granola bar). Granola with PB and CC sounds good. How do you serve that or how is that bought?

Here is the recipe I started with from Allrecipes. It is more of a granola bar. You can switch out the dry and wet ingredients in many ways as long as you keep the ratios the same. Our favorite version is:

Dry Ingredients

2 cups oatmeal

2 cups semi-crushed bran flakes

1/2 cup coconut

Binding Ingredients

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup smooth peanut butter

handful of choc chips

I have also subbed rice cereal, cheerios, raisins, and cranberries for the dry ingredients and honey for the wet ingredients.

It comes out a little crumbly, but I think that if I boiled the wet ingredients for longer, they would be more binding. I use brown sugar and corn syrup for making pancake syrup, and I know if I let them boil too long, they turn into a solid rock. :001_rolleyes: I would think that could work in my favor with the granola recipe.

I work 5 mornings a week, and with dh currently at home recupertaing from srgery, I leave something for the kids all set up. Twice a week or so, they head to my mom's (which they'd be doing everyday if dh wasn't home) and then she feeds them!

Breakfasts at our house on workdays:

I leave containers of fruit prepped in the fridge.

Then, one of the following...

homemade muffins

homemade breakfast burritos that they/dh can heat back up

cold cereal sometimes

Crockpot oatmeal

Ham & cheese quinoa cups (I've made them with several kinds of cheese, meat & veggies now. Always a big hit!)

Overnight No-Cook Refrigerator Oatmeal

Granola and yogurt

On non-workdays, I'll cook a breakfast fresh, such as:

French toast

Whole-grain pancakes/waffles

A German pancake

Omelets

And we recently discovered migas, which are super-yummy!

Edited by momto2Cs
to add links

Some of the different things that we eat are:

Fried or grilled hamsteak

Tortilla with some combination of sausage, egg, bacon, and cheese. I usually make a bunch of bacon and sausage and use it throughout the week.

Potatoes - cut up potatoes into bite size pieces, put them in a casserole dish lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Add salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Bake in the oven until they are done. Then add some shredded cheese and let it melt. You can also add mushrooms, ham, etc to it.

Yogurt and fruit

Bagel thins

Gluten free pancakes, waffles, blueberry muffins

Slushies

I didn't vote. Nothing seemed to apply. We do eat breakfast, but its not generally cereal or pancakes. We like to have some eggs or smoothies or fruit and cheese. . .nothing too big or starchy. We're slow starters and usually have a cup of tea upon waking and breakfast an hour later.

I didn't vote either because nothing applied. After reading what everyone else eats, we're dull! We usually eat the same thing every day!

Indy has a toasted honey wheat English muffin with a slice of turkey, salami and cheese on it, heated. If we're out of English muffins he eats the same thing wrapped in a tortilla. Oh, and a cup of hot tea Mon-Fri, but never on the weekends. I don't know why.

I eat 2 slices of veggie sausage and a slice of organic multi-grain bread with nothing on it. I think it tastes good plain! And a cup of hot tea, every day, including weekends.

Han Solo eats...whatever. I have started making him a slice of toast (same bread that I use) and he eats about half of it, a veggie sausage link, and maybe half a banana or a handful of blueberries and a cup of rice milk. He sometimes drinks some of my hot tea as well. Some days he eats really well and other days he prefers to throw pieces on the floor much to the delight of our dogs. :glare: On the days I make him toast, I eat the other half with a little bit of my mom's homemade figs. YUM!

James Bond does not eat breakfast except on rare occasions. Every now and then I'll make turkey bacon and grits and eggs (we're not big egg eaters) on the weekend, and he'll eat, but usually he prefers no breakfast. Weirdo. :D

I love cereal, but NEVER for breakfast! That's just gross, IMO!

ETA: If there are left over cupcakes, I'll eat those breakfast!

I guess if I had to pick, I'd say we're a "sit down to breakfast" family. But, the truth is, we do have our weeks where I'm guilty of just having them pour a bowl of cereal, or make a pb & j. This is more likely to happen in the warmer months, when it feels too hot to cook!

Our typical sit-down breakfasts are some of these...

pancakes and sausage

omelets

fried eggs, toast, and grits

bacon and eggs

biscuits and gravy, with scrambled eggs

breakfast burritos made with scrambled eggs and sausage, cheese, etc.

I usually always have oatmeal and grits on hand, as well as fruit, to round out the eggs and meat.

In the summer, when it's really hot, sometimes we'll just have options that don't require anyone to turn on the stove. Like I mentioned, that can be cereal, but we also enjoy cheese, fruit, bagels, English muffins, yogurt, etc.

In the cold months, I'm more likely to do things that have a more "casserole" type of feel. I'll make a bread pudding, or an actual breakfast casserole with sausage, eggs, and hashbrowns. For whatever reason, I'm more likely to make muffins in the colder months. I guess I'm a seasonal cook?

We do a lot of eggs. Because we are from Pittsburgh, we call them Dippy Eggs. (just another name for an egg with a runny yoke.) You have to have something to dip in dippy eggs. Bacon is the favorite dipping tool with link sausage running a close second. Toast triangles comes in third and in a pinch a slab of ham or sausage patties is acceptable. They prefer dipping finger foods. LOL

They are always up for oatmeal or cereal. I tend to make oatmeal a lot in the winter. They like breakfast burritoes and scrambled egg quesadillas. My son and I are eating cold dinner leftovers. The rest of the family thinks we are nuts.

The kids love it when we need to eat fast and they get biscuits and jelly. Dh is a fan of this breakfast as well, but his favorite breakfast is a "scramby" egg sandwich. That is just scrambled eggs on untoasted white bread that has been slathered with ketchup.

Any breakfast is fine with me as long as it comes with coffee....hot and lots of it. :)

I didn't vote because none of your categories fitted us :D

DH sits down to leisurely drink his vegetable juice breakfast.

DD will eat nothing mostly, but sometimes I bring her a bacon & cheese muffin in bed. She will almost always chug down her vege juice on her way out of the house.

Other dd, who is only home a few days of the week, sleeps late, and gets herself some cold leftovers when she finally gets up. I put a vege juice in the fridge for whenever she feels like it.

I have a vege juice while making lunch, cleaning up the kitchen, then after everyone's gone I sit down & have an omelette.