Menu

How do I liven up my scrambled eggs?

I want to do more scrambled eggs for dinners, as they are cheap, tasty, easy protein. But I have to admit, my scrambled eggs are bland.

So, what's the secret? Why are restaurant scrambled eggs so much tastier than mine? How do I make them better?

Michelle T

The best way to cook them is *very* slowly over low heat... but for those of us with a life... try the Cook's Illustrated way:

Beat the eggs with salt, pepper, and milk. Use a nonstick frypan, add a pat of butter and turn to high (yes, high). when the butter is done frothing add the eggs and keep moving the spatula until they are solid but still wet. Be sure to match the size of the pan to the number of eggs.

Done.

I also like scrambled eggs with chopped fresh tomato (added about halfway through scrambling). And over pan fried diced potato and onion (cooked in the potato pan when potatoes are done).

When you're mixing them, mix them with a whip instead of a fork, and add in about a teaspoon of 1/2 and 1/2 per egg. I've never looked up the actual chemistry, but it does something to the matrix and makes them "rise" more.

Also, use a very hot pan, but don't cook them to death. When they are almost done, take them off of the heat. They will continue to cook, just like a steak coming off of the grill continues to cook on the plate.

My personal secret for fab scrambled eggs is sauteed onions and jalapenos. I realize jalapenos are difficult to purchase right now, but I grow them. A good alternative is a decent salsa or some red pepper flakes. Eggs are always great wrapped up in a warm tortilla with a sprinkling of shredded cheese and some chopped tomatoes, too. You can put some corn chips and guacamole on the side for crunch.

asta

I want to do more scrambled eggs for dinners, as they are cheap, tasty, easy protein. But I have to admit, my scrambled eggs are bland.

So, what's the secret? Why are restaurant scrambled eggs so much tastier than mine? How do I make them better?

Michelle T

Restaurants often add whole milk or cream and salt. And, they are often mixed more vigorously than we do at home :-).

Lawry's Red Pepper Seasoned Salt (made with Tabasco) is super tasty for something different, and you can always add onions, peppers, tomatoes-- or George Costanza's favorite -- Lobster :lol:

but I was just watching that Paula lady, and she said to add sour cream. I'm gonna try that next.

I use a nonstick pan and a spatula, just sort of gently stirring and lifting the cooked egg. My grandmother used to use a fork and stir the eggs all over the whole time they cooked, and they ended up in tiny little pieces. Bleah. Gently stirring and lifting makes bigger pieces, IYKWIM. Yummier.

On a big breakfast day, I add shredded cheese (usually Tilamook, but I'm sure any cheese will do), chopped tomatoes, and whole black olives. (I'd like to add chopped green onions, but dh doesn't care for them).

A little milk in with the eggs and a lot of of good cheddar... mmmm.

Here are some other ways to liven them up - Green Tabasco. Scrambled Eggs over buttered toast. Swiss cheese and chopped mushrooms in with the scramble is good. I love eggs!

If you want another way to do eggs try oven pancakes (we call them "Dutch Babies").

8 eggs

1 1/4 c. milk

1 1/4 c. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp vanilla

2 pats butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. mix everything (except butter) in a mixing bowl with wire whisk until smooth (5-7 minutes). Put one pat butter in each of two 8" cake pans, and place into oven to melt butter. Once butter is melted (1-2 minutes) pour half of batter into each pan. Bake for 18 minutes, or until very puffy and lightly brown on edges. Serve with jam, honey, syrup, powdered sugar, or plain! We ate these tonight for dinner - my kids love love love them (even dd who "hates eggs").

Bon Apetite

Michelle T

Where I live we add chorizo to them....sometimes cheddar.

I eat them with tabasco.

I add some American cheese to it, and a bit of extra milk--the milk keeps them from getting dry, and the cheese makes them creamier and softer, plus gives them extra flavor. I start them on high, and cook them quickly, turning to med high when they are really going, and put them on plates and serve as soon as they are done. I have always been told mine are the best, and I agree :)

My personal secret for fab scrambled eggs is sauteed onions and jalapenos. I realize jalapenos are difficult to purchase right now, but I grow them. A good alternative is a decent salsa or some red pepper flakes. Eggs are always great wrapped up in a warm tortilla with a sprinkling of shredded cheese and some chopped tomatoes, too. You can put some corn chips and guacamole on the side for crunch.

asta

Ooooooh, I'm with you on this one Asta. It's one of my favorite meals! I've also mixed in leftover veggies, rice or potatoes, and even made a Greek version with a little chopped Kalamata olives, crumbled Feta cheese and served with warm pita bread.

I personally think like several other posters that you don't want to over cook the eggs. A light texture is what it's all about.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I use butter instead of oil/margarine in the pan first, then in the eggs I add water instead of milk or cream - but I also use the Magic Bullet to mix them better than I could with a whisk.

The only thing I usually add is salt/pepper and near the end, sometimes shredded cheese.

My hubby makes delicious scrambled eggs. Here's his twist on things:

diced ham, diced sundried tomatoes, diced onion, sliced mushrooms,diced peppers cooked until tender then add your eggs with mexican shredded cheese. These babies are to die for. :D

I do not know about restaurant eggs - my dad adds a tablespoon of milk and lots of butter and his are great! My dd and I like to heat leftover rice in a skillet, then move to one side and scramble an egg or two, and mix into the rice when almost set. Eggs and rice, to us, taste like....popcorn! Go figure!

The best way to cook them is *very* slowly over low heat... but for those of us with a life... try the Cook's Illustrated way:

Beat the eggs with salt, pepper, and milk. Use a nonstick frypan, add a pat of butter and turn to high (yes, high). when the butter is done frothing add the eggs and keep moving the spatula until they are solid but still wet. Be sure to match the size of the pan to the number of eggs.

Done.

I also like scrambled eggs with chopped fresh tomato (added about halfway through scrambling). And over pan fried diced potato and onion (cooked in the potato pan when potatoes are done).

When I don't add chopped anything, I do them either way (low heat and slowly or high and quicker) depending on how much time and/or patience I have. I use a whisk, pepper, seasoned salt and a glug of milk and a blop of half and half or cream. (Those are highly technical culinary terms, I'll have you know.) Parsley flakes, too, because I was faced with a child that loved scrambled eggs but hated to eat food with anything "in" it. So I got her over it by putting green things in her eggs. And now they like them, so they stay. I think the biggest thing, though, is to not overcook, whether you do low heat or high. Take them off still wet.

Cheese, salsa, cilantro wrapped in a tortilla.

Cook mushrooms in garlic and olive oil or butter, cook them until they reabsorb the water they give off, they will be smaller and darker and yummy, mix them into your eggs with any other veggies and fresh tomatoes.

I think mine are delicious and it's very simple. I put a teaspoon of butter in a non-stick pan. I add some small cubes of velveeta cheese in the pan after I pour in the whisked eggs. Add salt and pepper and cook fairly slowly. Stop cooking when they're still a bit soft, but no more runny stuff.

We love them with toast or on tortilla with extra mex cheese on top and salsa.

Mmmm, ok that's what we're having for lunch now. Thanks! :D

Michelle T

I'm going to write down these suggestions! Mmmm, I'll have to scramble up some eggs for dinner!

It sounds like my main "mistake" is I do cook my scrambled eggs to death. I had a really severe case of salmonella years ago, and dread ever having that again! So I'm a bit paranoid about eggs being well cooked, even though I didn't get the salmonella from eggs (from a restaurant my family loved. It went out of business shortly after that, so I guess my family wasn't the only one that got salmonella there!)

DS only eats his eggs plain, but I will try adding some tasty extras for DH and I.

Michelle T

My favourite is organic eggs with chives. Dh, unusually for him, skimped on the eggs last week, merely buying the free range. I thought it was just me, but he agreed, they were really tasteless. Maybe they packaged battery eggs as free range, they were that bad :( Absolutely don't overcook them! Overcooking will destroy even the scrummiest of organic eggs!

Rosie

I add cottage cheese (when I have it) instead of milk to my eggs before cooking. Absolutely wonderful!

As far as cooking them, a double boiler makes all the difference. It won't burn the eggs, but still cooks them in a decent amount of time. Stir and scrape with a silicone spatula until they are still shiny, but not runny then dress with whatever extras you want (cheese, sausage, cooked veggies). And the frequency of stirring depends on whether or not you want large or small curds. The more frequently you stir, the smaller the curds.