Menu

So...why am I not losing weight?

I believe in calories in/calories out with good food choices. I am tracking calories on My Fitness Pal. I am not low carb crazy but try to keep it under 100. I eat VERY minimal breads (most days none), little sugar (my creamer one time a day has sugar in it and will occasionally have a very small bowl of ice cream, etc.) I am drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day. I started exercising again after two years, usually my elliptical for 30 minutes 3-4 times a week.

I started on the 4th of July. In the first couple weeks I lost 5 pounds (expected). Since then...not one.single.ounce! I only weigh once a week (occasionally twice but never daily.) On MFP at the end where it says that if you eat like this daily you will weigh X amount in 5 weeks...it lies. I should be down at least another 6-7 pounds from what it said 5 weeks ago. In 5 weeks I have only gone over calories 1-2 days. I do not eat up my extra calories burned from exercising unless there is a special occasion. (It's happened 4-5 times.)

I tell myself that there is a lag in my body responding but this is a dead standstill...not a lag! So other than going diet crazy, obsessive, and living a lifestyle I can't sustain...what else should I do???? I just don't get it!

Not what you want to hear, but the only thing that works for me at all is low carb. I need to get down to about 60 grams or less per day (net carbs).

I don't believe it is as simple as calories in/out. If it were, it would be easy for everyone to lose weight. We know that isn't true.

:iagree: :D

While 30 minutes on the elliptical 3-4 times a week is good, it's probably not enough for weight loss. It's more well-suited for maintenance. Try increasing the workouts to 45 minutes, 5 days a week. And make sure the intensity is high enough. You want to get your heart rate up, but you don't need to overdo it.

Try that first. Also make sure you're eating small meals every 3-4 hours.

How old are you and what is your hormone status? Do you get restful sleep at night? Are you building muscle with the exercise? Are you retaining fluid due to exercise, summer heat, etc.? Are you managing your stress?

I have found as I moved further into my 40s that weight loss is about a lot of things. Sometimes it is about a season of just not gaining weight. Are you healthy? Feel good? Have energy?

I've lost weight while exercising and while not. The only difference I noticed was that my body was more tone with exercise. It did nothing for weight loss.

Not what you want to hear, but the only thing that works for me at all is low carb. I need to get down to about 60 grams or less per day (net carbs).

I don't believe it is as simple as calories in/out. If it were, it would be easy for everyone to lose weight. We know that isn't true.

:iagree:

After 35 I plateaued for 5 years no matter what I did. It was *not* budging. Then it started to climb. I went low carb/high fat and now I'm 12 pounds away from my goal and have lost 4 dress sizes.

How much exactly are you eating because unless you are doing HEAVY exercise 1500 would be a really good amount. Just wondering because I have done all this stuff before and the numbers usually do not lie. You might be eating more than you think (or have been underrating for to long) or you might me one of those people that needs to exercise. Why don't you try to eat a maintenance calories for a few weeks and then cut again that usually does the trick. Just to give you an idea what 1500 cals looks like:

Breakfast:

1 Cup oatmeal 160

1 cup milk 150

Fruit 100 calories

Snack:

Snack Bar with veggies or fruit 200

Lunch:

Bread 150

turkey 60

cheese 60

pretzels 1 oz 120

Dinner

rice 1 cup 215

meat 4 0z 340

= 1555

Sadly, less food and more exercise :) It stinks. The older I've gotten, the less food I can eat and the more I have to work out just to maintain.

I really think you need to add weight training. Even if you never had to before - that was the key for me after I turned 35. If I do weights, maintenance is easy. If not - I can barely eat anything!

You don't need to try to "bulk up" - but having good, defined muscles, and keeping them tones is essential for weight loss and maintenance.

OP, I am in the same boat you are in. :( MFP says I should be losing based on the numbers they give, but I have been stuck for two weeks. A friend told me to switch up my workouts, so I am going to try that this week. I have three different videos I downloaded from iTunes, and the other two days I will do weight training. The next week I will ride my bike 2 days, do weights two days, and add in a fourth video. My thinking is that if I rotate those things over the next few months, the I can get away with not having to come up with new things until Christmas break, but we shall see.

Strength training. I could do cardio 24/7 and eat 0 calories and I still probably wouldn't lose weight.

If I do strength training 3x a week though the pounds just melt off me.

Actually I've been doing a mix of cardio and strength training for about a year now (3 days intense cardio, 3 days strength training, 1 day rest) and I've gone from a size 12 to a size 2 (I'm 5'7 btw so the size 12 actually looked pretty nice on me). And the only changes I made to my food at all was increasing it - I think before I started I was around 1700-1800 calories a day but now I have to eat at least 2200 calories to maintain my weight.

I don't even lose a lot of pounds doing strength training but it slims me way down. I only dropped about 16 lbs between that size 12 and size 2.

I use Sparkpeople (very similar to MFP) and do what you do--low-ish carbs but not really low.

I've lost >20% of my body weight in the past year, but it hasn't been consistent. In other words, it will seem like I go a month without dropping an ounce, and then I'll drop 5# overnight. (Exaggeration, but you know what I mean.)

As long as you are sure that your calorie target is accurate, that you are accurately recording things, etc., I'd just wait a month and see what happens.

It can take time for your body to shed even a half a pound.

And if you are over 35 it may require not just keeping track of calories, but aggressive exercise. That means 6 days a week, 45 min a day of cardio, or strength training.

Even then, it can be hard to get the scale to move.

I think it is much better to focus on over all health. Clean eating and exercise help you feel better and give a lot of benefits other than weight loss.

I know, it stinks. It would be nice if following a magic formula (and I mean reduced calories, exercise) made the weight come off. But it doesn't all work that way. :glare:

I struggle mightily with weight loss. Weight Watchers does not work for me as I already eat that way! I went and spent $$ only to find out that my points allotment for weight loss was what I was already doing.

And I often heard, "Oh, you aren't eating enough!" So, as per WW leader's insistence, I ate MORE......and I gained weight. For three solid weeks she kept saying, "Give it time." Well, about 6 pounds later, I said, "Um, no!"

I even gained on a Whole Foods diet.

Unfortunately low carb is the only thing that works for me too, and I don't particularly like meat. :glare:

the diet industry earns 60.9 BILLION dollars it angers me to think that crap companies like weight watchers are selling us the same idea but in a pretty box: Eat to live don't live to eat. :glare: I congratulate you for working so hard to lose weight on your own and believe me your children will thank you for it when they have you for the next 20, 30 or 40 years :)

Strength training. I could do cardio 24/7 and eat 0 calories and I still probably wouldn't lose weight.

If I do strength training 3x a week though the pounds just melt off me.

Actually I've been doing a mix of cardio and strength training for about a year now (3 days intense cardio, 3 days strength training, 1 day rest) and I've gone from a size 12 to a size 2 (I'm 5'7 btw so the size 12 actually looked pretty nice on me). And the only changes I made to my food at all was increasing it - I think before I started I was around 1700-1800 calories a day but now I have to eat at least 2200 calories to maintain my weight.

I don't even lose a lot of pounds doing strength training but it slims me way down. I only dropped about 16 lbs between that size 12 and size 2.

That is wonderfully amazing!!! Good for you! Amazing that 16lbs = 5 dress sizes!!!

Oh I meant to say in my original post that my calories are 1200/day. I usually get very close to that but, as I said, rarely go over. I do track them accurately. I do think I'm close to menopause but not there yet so I know that has an impact but surely I can still lose! I can't say stress is low as I work FT + homeschool the now 2nd & 9th graders as well as having our college daughter and MIL with dementia in our household so although my schedule is crazy we have a great system that somehow gets it all done very well. (Yes, I do have some housekeeping and sitter help so I can focus on school when I am home...but I rarely do anything outside of that.) Yes, I do compromise sleep and sleep only 6 hours a night but I feel good. If my lifestyle were different I'm sure my body would naturally settle into an 8 hour ideal pattern but overall I think I do fine on 6 hours (yes, I know that's not ideal but it is what I have.)

I have an elliptical and a stationery bike. My elliptical has programmed workouts with great intensity. I don't know how to do strength training at home (my only option with time constraints as I won't give up any more time away from home.) Can you help me with that? What would I need to have at home for strength training?

I was skinny growing up and never had weight issues until four pregnancies and kept a bit of extra weight each time. I did do South Beach a few years ago and lost down to my ideal weight...and then got unexpectedly pregnant and haven't lost it yet. Having a baby in my 40's was definitely not the best thing for ideal weight! (Although the bundle of joy was certainly worth it...surprise or not.) SB was effective but, uugghh, I was really hoping not to have to go that drastic. I am eating a lot of fruit which I was hoping I would still be able to do as long as I kept within my calories. I hated to do SB while we had good summer fruit available but obviously my plan isn't working.

So...if I stick to 1200 calories, go for under 60 carbs a day (not completely low carb but better), and add strength training do you think I could move the needle? I have 28 pounds for my truly ideal weight. I'm 5' 6" and would be 128 pounds and am a definite pear shape!

Are there VERY simple ways to do weight training at home?

I am down 16 pounds and seem to have plateaued. I am also doing low or no carb and that has been the only thing that has really helped.

I am also walking with jogging intervals 3-4 times a week.

I would like to do something simple but just don't know what I am doing and can't spend much money. My Dh has weights but they are all too heavy for me. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks!!

I would consider dropping the carbs but raising the calories. Your body may be reducing your metabolism to compensate for such a low calorie diet. 1200/day is semi-starvation for most people, and you do not appear to be particularly small. Sometimes increasing calories can help. You could still eat some fruit at 60g/day, if you aren't eating starches.

You can absolutely do weight training at home. IME, it takes less time and is more effective than cardio. I definitely recommend it. I can't remember what the book I used to get started was, but someone will be along to recommend something, I'm sure.

Oh I meant to say in my original post that my calories are 1200/day. I usually get very close to that but, as I said, rarely go over. I do track them accurately. I do think I'm close to menopause but not there yet so I know that has an impact but surely I can still lose! I can't say stress is low as I work FT + homeschool the now 2nd & 9th graders as well as having our college daughter and MIL with dementia in our household so although my schedule is crazy we have a great system that somehow gets it all done very well. (Yes, I do have some housekeeping and sitter help so I can focus on school when I am home...but I rarely do anything outside of that.) Yes, I do compromise sleep and sleep only 6 hours a night but I feel good. If my lifestyle were different I'm sure my body would naturally settle into an 8 hour ideal pattern but overall I think I do fine on 6 hours (yes, I know that's not ideal but it is what I have.)

I have an elliptical and a stationery bike. My elliptical has programmed workouts with great intensity. I don't know how to do strength training at home (my only option with time constraints as I won't give up any more time away from home.) Can you help me with that? What would I need to have at home for strength training?

I was skinny growing up and never had weight issues until four pregnancies and kept a bit of extra weight each time. I did do South Beach a few years ago and lost down to my ideal weight...and then got unexpectedly pregnant and haven't lost it yet. Having a baby in my 40's was definitely not the best thing for ideal weight! (Although the bundle of joy was certainly worth it...surprise or not.) SB was effective but, uugghh, I was really hoping not to have to go that drastic. I am eating a lot of fruit which I was hoping I would still be able to do as long as I kept within my calories. I hated to do SB while we had good summer fruit available but obviously my plan isn't working.

So...if I stick to 1200 calories, go for under 60 carbs a day (not completely low carb but better), and add strength training do you think I could move the needle? I have 28 pounds for my truly ideal weight. I'm 5' 6" and would be 128 pounds and am a definite pear shape!

How much exactly are you eating because unless you are doing HEAVY exercise 1500 would be a really good amount. Just wondering because I have done all this stuff before and the numbers usually do not lie. You might be eating more than you think (or have been underrating for to long) or you might me one of those people that needs to exercise. Why don't you try to eat a maintenance calories for a few weeks and then cut again that usually does the trick. Just to give you an idea what 1500 cals looks like:

Breakfast:

1 Cup oatmeal 160

1 cup milk 150

Fruit 100 calories

Snack:

Snack Bar with veggies or fruit 200

Lunch:

Bread 150

turkey 60

cheese 60

pretzels 1 oz 120

Dinner

rice 1 cup 215

meat 4 0z 340

= 1555

Calories are not everything. The above daily menu only has 1-2 servings of vegetable/fruits. Not sufficent. My goal everyday for lunch and dinner is that it is 1/2 vegetable- 3-4 servings per meal. You need vitamins from food. Health first.

The last time I made an attempt at South Beach, I included one grapefruit a day--a fairly big one, but no added sugar or honey or anything. Just one. No other carbs. I didn't lose a pound :banghead: When I got rid of that grapefruit, I lost 6 pounds very quickly. So yeah, I'm another vote for low carb/high fat.

I'm not sure if anyone said this, but how much fat are you eating during your day? You might try adding in some good fats (coconut oil, EVOO, avocado, nuts, etc.), even if it ups your calorie intake some.

Also, when my DH started running, he lost a few pounds initially, but then plateaued for about a month. It looks like he was putting on the muscle that his body needed to maintain his new exercise routine. After that month, he started losing very quickly (until he injured his foot, poor guy :(). So it's also possible that if your body is still adjusting to the exercise, you're replacing some fat with the needed muscle at the moment.

If it were me, I'd add some fat and keep exercising as you have been, and see what happens in a week or two.

Good luck!

I've lost weight while exercising and while not. The only difference I noticed was that my body was more tone with exercise. It did nothing for weight loss.

Yes, this! I once worked out with a trainer for months and then was weighed. I lost ZERO pounds.

I almost started crying. I could lift a truck though!:tongue_smilie:

I recently found this blog and have found it to be very helpful:

http://gokaleo.com/

In a nutshell, the blogger recommends moving your body in whatever way you actually enjoy enough to continue, and to work on improving your habits. Somehow, after reading her blog I feel way more encouraged about my body & eating, even if I'm nowhere near my ideal.

I realize that's not specific advice, but thought I'd share what's helped my attitude in the slow process. :D

Another low carber here. I actually worry more about enough fats than protein these days. And I lift weights 3 times a week.

I feel better then ever when I stick to the lower carb. Last night I ate 4 dumplings and it didn't throw me off at all. You can do that once in a while. I have a once a week meal that I don't care about.

I never crave sweets anymore. Often I go for hours and realize I've not eaten, but I don't feel any hunger whatsoever.

If you have not seen this website you might check out Marks Daily Apple.

I don't know if your body type is the same as mine, but I have insulin resistance and PCOS. It was SO hard for me to lose weight!!

EXCEPT, when I get pregnant, I know, weird. Anyways, I get gestational diabetes when I am pregnant and have to follow a strict diet to keep my blood sugars stable. I have to have 225 grams of carbs a day, split into 3 meals and 3 snacks. I have found that if I don't get to bed before midnight, my sugar is high in the morning. If I don't sleep enough, or well enough, my sugar is high in the morning. If I get stressed out, it makes my sugar high. So, I know that when my blood sugar is high, it means my insulin is doing something funky, putting out too much, I think?? And THAT makes you pack on fat. So, I know now, that after I have the baby, this is what I need to do to keep my blood sugars stable, and therefore, lose weight.

-Go to bed well before midnight, like 10:30

-Sleep 7-8 hours a night, no MORE, and no less

-Keep low stress levels

-Eat 3 meals and 3 snacks, eating every 3 hours or so

-Stay under 200 carbs a day

-Exercise every day; EVERY. DAY.

On the days when I exercise, even if it's just a walk, my sugar levels are more consistent. On days when I don't exercise, they are higher and eating just a tad more fruit than I'm supposed to can make them higher. Even if I have exercised for the past 3 days! It's frustrating....

The last time I was pregnant I lost so much weight, that I only gained 17 pounds during the pregnancy. This time, I am 26, almost 27 weeks and have just now hit my pre-pregnancy weight, b/c I lost so much in the beginning. I will weigh less after giving birth than I did when I got pregnant!

Anyways, keeping track of my blood sugar 4 times a day and having to write it down, and keep notes of what made it high, has helped me realize what causes me to be fat, and not lose weight. Before hand, I "thought" I was eating properly, but I wasn't. And I didn't realize how much sleep and stress impacted my weight loss efforts.

Are you sure only eating 100 carbs is good for you? If you don't eat *enough* carbs, it can cause your blood sugar to get too low, and then the next time you eat something, it will make your sugars spike. That "spike" is what causes surges in insulin, which can cause you to gain weight. Your goal is to keep your blood sugar stable, like a straight, horizontal line, which is why you should eat every 3-4 hours and make sure you eat protein with your carbs. Does that make sense?? I finally understand it, but am not too good explaining it :)

Yes, this! I once worked out with a trainer for months and then was weighed. I lost ZERO pounds.

I almost started crying. I could lift a truck though!:tongue_smilie:

That is one nice aspect of weight training. :D

I went on Atkins for a year in 1999. That was right before I got married. I went to the gym 6 days a week, 2 hours per day. I did lose weight.

Fast forward I went strict LC 2 years ago. I didn't exercise at all. I lost a similar amount in half the time.

However, I took a smaller size with the exercise.

I am 2 sizes smaller and same weight after 5 years of steady weight training, than I was in my younger years trying to starve. And I still have a butt.

There are various ways to lose weight. I just think LC is relatively painless compared with starvation and insane amounts of exercise.

:lol::lol:. I love the women who do 5 am cardio, and then after work, and don't eat. Seriously? Is that FUN?!

I recently found this blog and have found it to be very helpful:

http://gokaleo.com/

In a nutshell, the blogger recommends moving your body in whatever way you actually enjoy enough to continue, and to work on improving your habits. Somehow, after reading her blog I feel way more encouraged about my body & eating, even if I'm nowhere near my ideal.

I realize that's not specific advice, but thought I'd share what's helped my attitude in the slow process. :D

That's a great blog!

I only lose weight (after the first few weeks anyway, like you describe) when I count carbs AND calories. under 40-50 grams + around 1300 calories (with moderate exercise; i.e. a long, hilly walk every day) seems to do the trick (and by "do the trick" I mean I lose a whopping 1/2 pound a week or so). On the other hand, I DO have thyroid issues. Last year when I was seriously low carbing, my TSH was borderline, but not enough for my doctor to suggest treating it and I didn't push it. I wish I had, because now I'm pregnant and was unequivocally hypothyroid when I retested early in the pregnancy. So it's being treated now, and it will be interesting to see what happens after the baby is born. I'm hoping I can just count carbs and not worry about calories and lose weight now that the thyroid issues are being addressed.

Calories are not everything. The above daily menu only has 1-2 servings of vegetable/fruits. Not sufficent. My goal everyday for lunch and dinner is that it is 1/2 vegetable- 3-4 servings per meal. You need vitamins from food. Health first.

I agree with this. Also that menu had very, VERY little fat. Your body needs fat to absorb minerals and generally to function well. It also helps you feel and stay full. It also makes food taste decent.

By my calculation that menu had half the calories from straight-up starches. Oatmeal, bread, rice. If you ditch those and add in 750 calories of veggies and good fats, I bet you'll feel better, eat less, and lose weight faster.

My daily goal is one big salad (about 4C greens, plus other veggies, a protein, and a fat), one small salad (about 2C of greens and other veggies). Plus a cooked veggie at least twice a day. These make up most of my carbs, but right now I'm very low carb (and losing weight)

Unless I missed a post I don't believe you said what exactly you're eating in terms of food choices. If you don't want to go low carb (and 100 is still pretty low-- I think that's half the RDA?) you might want to try "Eat to Live." The strict version is vegan but there is an omni version with limited dairy/ egg/ lowfat poultry/ fish.

Or, have you considered going raw or mostly raw?

Are you sure only eating 100 carbs is good for you? If you don't eat *enough* carbs, it can cause your blood sugar to get too low, and then the next time you eat something, it will make your sugars spike. That "spike" is what causes surges in insulin, which can cause you to gain weight. Your goal is to keep your blood sugar stable, like a straight, horizontal line, which is why you should eat every 3-4 hours and make sure you eat protein with your carbs. Does that make sense?? I finally understand it, but am not too good explaining it :)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with staying well below 100 carbs/day. I haven't been LCHF long. Today marks the completion of week 3 in fact, but I feel better than I have in years. I will weigh tomorrow, but I think it will be in the 14-15 lb weight loss range.

Many people go low carb with the idea of adding carbs back in when they are at goal. When they do and gain weight, they say low carb doesn't work. For me, I think this will become a lifestyle -- meaning I will enjoy a roll or a sweet occassionally, but it will not be a daily thing. I admit. I'm still a newbie, but this has been easy and enjoyable -- 2 things almost never associated with weight loss.

Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt has many articles and videos about LCHF.

www.dietdoctor.com

:) Beachy

I believe in calories in/calories out with good food choices. I am tracking calories on My Fitness Pal. I am not low carb crazy but try to keep it under 100. I eat VERY minimal breads (most days none), little sugar (my creamer one time a day has sugar in it and will occasionally have a very small bowl of ice cream, etc.) I am drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day. I started exercising again after two years, usually my elliptical for 30 minutes 3-4 times a week.

I started on the 4th of July. In the first couple weeks I lost 5 pounds (expected). Since then...not one.single.ounce! I only weigh once a week (occasionally twice but never daily.) On MFP at the end where it says that if you eat like this daily you will weigh X amount in 5 weeks...it lies. I should be down at least another 6-7 pounds from what it said 5 weeks ago. In 5 weeks I have only gone over calories 1-2 days. I do not eat up my extra calories burned from exercising unless there is a special occasion. (It's happened 4-5 times.)

I tell myself that there is a lag in my body responding but this is a dead standstill...not a lag! So other than going diet crazy, obsessive, and living a lifestyle I can't sustain...what else should I do???? I just don't get it!

I agree with the people that recommended strength training. I am in the same boat you are -- 1200 calories a day and using my elliptical regularly. Yet, sometimes I actually gain weight while dieting. I'm lucky if I lose anything. However, when I was doing Curves I could easily maintain my weight. While Curves does not build big muscles, it definitely toned me up. The elliptical gives me a great cardiac workout but does nothing for my muscles. I'm getting ready to join a gym since the Curves near me closed.

Lisa

I don't know if your body type is the same as mine, but I have insulin resistance and PCOS. It was SO hard for me to lose weight!!

EXCEPT, when I get pregnant, I know, weird. Anyways, I get gestational diabetes when I am pregnant and have to follow a strict diet to keep my blood sugars stable. I have to have 225 grams of carbs a day, split into 3 meals and 3 snacks. I have found that if I don't get to bed before midnight, my sugar is high in the morning. If I don't sleep enough, or well enough, my sugar is high in the morning. If I get stressed out, it makes my sugar high. So, I know that when my blood sugar is high, it means my insulin is doing something funky, putting out too much, I think?? And THAT makes you pack on fat. So, I know now, that after I have the baby, this is what I need to do to keep my blood sugars stable, and therefore, lose weight.

-Go to bed well before midnight, like 10:30

-Sleep 7-8 hours a night, no MORE, and no less

-Keep low stress levels

-Eat 3 meals and 3 snacks, eating every 3 hours or so

-Stay under 200 carbs a day

-Exercise every day; EVERY. DAY.

On the days when I exercise, even if it's just a walk, my sugar levels are more consistent. On days when I don't exercise, they are higher and eating just a tad more fruit than I'm supposed to can make them higher. Even if I have exercised for the past 3 days! It's frustrating....

The last time I was pregnant I lost so much weight, that I only gained 17 pounds during the pregnancy. This time, I am 26, almost 27 weeks and have just now hit my pre-pregnancy weight, b/c I lost so much in the beginning. I will weigh less after giving birth than I did when I got pregnant!

Anyways, keeping track of my blood sugar 4 times a day and having to write it down, and keep notes of what made it high, has helped me realize what causes me to be fat, and not lose weight. Before hand, I "thought" I was eating properly, but I wasn't. And I didn't realize how much sleep and stress impacted my weight loss efforts.

To the bolded, your blood sugar does not get too low if you are not eating too many carbs. Protein and fat do not cause blood sugar spikes or blood sugar lows after it. You're right that insulin stability is the goal, and one way to do that is to eat small amounts of carbs many times a day, keeping your spikes and your "lows" small. Another is to eat very few carbs, which prevents your blood sugar from getting too high OR to low, even if you go a long time between meals. Also starches (especially wheat) are an appetite stimulant for some.

100g of carbs is fine for some people, but too many for others.

To the bolded, your blood sugar does not get too low if you are not eating too many carbs. Protein and fat do not cause blood sugar spikes or blood sugar lows after it. You're right that insulin stability is the goal, and one way to do that is to eat small amounts of carbs many times a day, keeping your spikes and your "lows" small. Another is to eat very few carbs, which prevents your blood sugar from getting too high OR to low, even if you go a long time between meals. Also starches (especially wheat) are an appetite stimulant for some.

:iagree:

The first time in my life I never had any trouble with my blood sugar was when I started doing low carb (under 40 a day for quite awhile). I remember being a teenager and getting all shaky hypoglycemic....for a long time I just thought that's how people feel when they get hungry. When I'm watching carbs, I can go any amount of time without eating and never get low blood sugar (or high). It stays in that 80-100ish range, just like a normal person :)

Another low carber here. I actually worry more about enough fats than protein these days. And I lift weights 3 times a week.

I feel better then ever when I stick to the lower carb. Last night I ate 4 dumplings and it didn't throw me off at all. You can do that once in a while. I have a once a week meal that I don't care about.

I never crave sweets anymore. Often I go for hours and realize I've not eaten, but I don't feel any hunger whatsoever.

If you have not seen this website you might check out Marks Daily Apple.

I'm hoping to get to that point, later, after I hit my goal weight, but for me, I know this is a lifestyle. THis is it-this is my new normal, and I feel so good and have such freedom I'm OK with that.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with staying well below 100 carbs/day. I haven't been LCHF long. Today marks the completion of week 3 in fact, but I feel better than I have in years. I will weigh tomorrow, but I think it will be in the 14-15 lb weight loss range.

Many people go low carb with the idea of adding carbs back in when they are at goal. When they do and gain weight, they say low carb doesn't work. For me, I think this will become a lifestyle -- meaning I will enjoy a roll or a sweet occassionally, but it will not be a daily thing. I admit. I'm still a newbie, but this has been easy and enjoyable -- 2 things almost never associated with weight loss.

Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt has many articles and videos about LCHF.

www.dietdoctor.com

:) Beachy

I agree, this has been the easiest I've ver lost weight. And I KNEW I should have been doing it (really, when you know-- I totally knew but ignored my inner voice) but I just lacked the drive until I *had* to.

This is a lifestyle for me, but I AM hoping to have Sunday splurges one day. :001_smile:

Edited by justamouse

I guess it's just different for some people, when I have gestational diabetes, and when my grandfather had diabetes, we were both informed to not go crazy and go too low carb, that it's not good for us.

If/when I don't eat enough carbs, my blood sugar gets too low and I get shaky and weak, when that happens and I check my sugar it's usually below 70.

Especially being pregnant, my nutritionist told me that it's best to stay between 200 and 225 carbs a day, not below that. I get most of my carbs from fruit, especially watermelon, as that is what I crave in pregnancy. I eat lots of apples and kiwi too. It doesn't take much to meet my daily goal of 225 carbs either. There is no way I could function on 100 carbs a day, but if that's what works for your body type, then I'm glad you have found what works for you :)

This may have been shared elsewhere, but I am reading The Wheat Belly and wow! Very eye opening!! I have seen a lot of what is in this book in my own life...the book is also great for a boost of motivation or inspiration to keep up the low-carb if you need that boost, like I do. :)

I guess it's just different for some people, when I have gestational diabetes, and when my grandfather had diabetes, we were both informed to not go crazy and go too low carb, that it's not good for us.

If/when I don't eat enough carbs, my blood sugar gets too low and I get shaky and weak, when that happens and I check my sugar it's usually below 70.

Especially being pregnant, my nutritionist told me that it's best to stay between 200 and 225 carbs a day, not below that. I get most of my carbs from fruit, especially watermelon, as that is what I crave in pregnancy. I eat lots of apples and kiwi too. It doesn't take much to meet my daily goal of 225 carbs either. There is no way I could function on 100 carbs a day, but if that's what works for your body type, then I'm glad you have found what works for you :)

Are you taking medication for diabetes when this happens? Because if you are taking diabetes medication or ESPECIALLY if you are on insulin, that is a very different story and any reduction in carb intake needs to be done with your doctor's supervision.

A good chunk of my family has type II diabetes. They have all been advised by diabetes specialists that Atkins or similar low-carb lifestyle diets are the best way to reduce or eliminate their need for medication. Even my grandfather when he was diagnosed in the 70's was told to avoid starches and fruits. I've never heard of a diabetic being told to eat more carbs unless it was to compensate for their medication. And when I was pregnant due to my family history of diabetes (which is strong) I was told to be pretty careful of my carb intake, even though I never developed GD.

Edited by AdventureMoms

oops I forgot to list the fact to eat fruit and veg at every meal I was doing history work at that time and my mind was fried:lol: As far as this meal plan being tasteless It all depends what spices you use and what you add like fruits to the oatmeal or garlic to the chicken. This was not set in stone and its an example.

Are you taking medication for diabetes when this happens? Because if you are taking diabetes medication or ESPECIALLY if you are on insulin, that is a very different story and any reduction in carb intake needs to be done with your doctor's supervision.

A good chunk of my family has type II diabetes. They have all been advised by diabetes specialists that Atkins or similar low-carb lifestyle diets are the best way to reduce or eliminate their need for medication. Even my grandfather when he was diagnosed in the 70's was told to avoid starches and fruits. I've never heard of a diabetic being told to eat more carbs unless it was to compensate for their medication. And when I was pregnant due to my family history of diabetes (which is strong) I was told to be pretty careful of my carb intake, even though I never developed GD.

Don't want to hijack this persons thread, but no I'm not on medication, and yes, my grandfather took insulin. I think I have to eat more carbs because of the baby, so maybe GD is a bit different than regular diabetes. My nutritionist did say that she would give me an "adjusted" meal plan after I had the baby and needed less carbs, but it didn't sound like it would be too much of a cut.

I just know that even staying within my 200-225 carbs range, the weight is just melting off, as it did last time I was pregnant.

I just wanted to point out to the OP, even more than the watching your carbs thing.... I didn't realize just how much stress and lack of sleep affect your blood sugar levels and that if she is doing everything else right, those things might be the problem :)

Don't want to hijack this persons thread, but no I'm not on medication, and yes, my grandfather took insulin. I think I have to eat more carbs because of the baby, so maybe GD is a bit different than regular diabetes. My nutritionist did say that she would give me an "adjusted" meal plan after I had the baby and needed less carbs, but it didn't sound like it would be too much of a cut.

I just know that even staying within my 200-225 carbs range, the weight is just melting off, as it did last time I was pregnant.

I just wanted to point out to the OP, even more than the watching your carbs thing.... I didn't realize just how much stress and lack of sleep affect your blood sugar levels and that if she is doing everything else right, those things might be the problem :)

This is a good point. Lack of sleep raises cortisol levels, even if you feel ok. This hampers weight loss. That is probably something to be aware of.