Menu

What is your "Go To" recipe for company?

Do you have a recipe that you always turn to because it's fairly easy, tastes great, semi impresses your guests and always turns out great?

My family is coming for a visit next week and I want to have dinner ready for them when they get here. I was looking for something I could partially make ahead or maybe pop in the oven when they arrive. Any ideas?

I make Lasagna; that fits all of your criteria. Chili is good to, but this is really the wrong time of year for it. Chicken chili is especially yummy.

Look into homemade , refrigerator rolls. Pop those in the oven and make a salad and that is an easy supper.

Hearty Soups are good for company, so that is something that you can pop in the crock pot and it will cook while you are cleaning up the house.

Yeah, I make reservations at a favorite restaurant.

Or I make ahead lasagna, meatloaf, chicken spaghetti... Something that is fairly easy and can be made mostly ahead of time with easy sides like salad and bread. I also will 'roast' a whole chicken in a crockpot during the day. Yum!

French dip sandwiches. For every 3 lbs of roast season with 3 packages zesty Italian dressing mix powder and two packages onion soup mix. Lots of water in crockpot and cook at least 12 hours. More is better. Shred meat and serve I rolls with pepper jack cheese and cups of juice for dipping. Cold salads chips and veggie tray and cut up fruit. Easy and very yummy. Always a crowd pleaser.

Edited by busymama7
Typo

I like lasagna or roast for that sort of purpose. They can be kept warm in the oven (or crockpot for the roast) for a long time.

Both these, or chicken stew with biscuits. I make the stew in advance, then bake it with biscuits on top when needed.

"Company Casserole" is our favorite for that:

Brown a pound of ground beef with some chopped onions. When that's cooked add two cans of tomato sauce, 1/2 a pound of cottage cheese, 1/2 a cup of sour cream, 4 oz. of cream cheese and stir till combined.

Meanwhile boil a pound of egg noodles (sometimes I use pasta twirls.)

Layer half the noodles in an 9x13 pan. Pour on the sauce. Then top with remaining noodles. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 45 min. Serve with breads d salad. Not health food for sure, but yum!

The lasagna recipe on the back of the Ronzini Healthy Harvest all natural 100% whole grain lasagna box is always a hit with company. Instead of 1 lb. of ground beef, we use 1/2 lb. ground meat and 1/2 lb. italian sausage. YUM

Sue

Spaghetti Casserole

1 lb hamburger browned

1 lb spaghetti noodles cooked

1 jar favorite spaghetti sauce

1 cup sour cream

cheese to top

Just mix it all together, top with cheese and put in oven (350 degree) to heat through. Serve with garlic toast, small salad or veg platter or corn on the cob.

This can be doubled or tripled depending on the crowd to feed. I would double for 2 families

Shepherds pie for a crowd

3 lbs hamburger browned

2 cans tomato soup (or cream of mushroom soup if you prefer)

a can each of corn and green beans (drained)

large pot of mashed potatoes. ( 4 pounds I think I used)

Cheese slices

Mix hamburger, soup and drained cans of vegetables (corn and green beans). Pour the hamburger/veg mixture in a large turkey pan and top with mashed potatoes. You can top with cheese. Put in 350 degree oven till warmed through or cheese melts. Serve with rolls and salad

(my grandmother makes hers with cream of mushroom soup and that is really good too).

I make a fast salad of cut up tomatoes, cucumber and mozzarella cheese, I toss with Italian dressing. Big hit at my house.

Edited by MAIMOM

"Company Casserole" is our favorite for that:

Brown a pound of ground beef with some chopped onions. When that's cooked add two cans of tomato sauce, 1/2 a pound of cottage cheese, 1/2 a cup of sour cream, 4 oz. of cream cheese and stir till combined.

Meanwhile boil a pound of egg noodles (sometimes I use pasta twirls.)

Layer half the noodles in an 9x13 pan. Pour on the sauce. Then top with remaining noodles. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 45 min. Serve with breads d salad. Not health food for sure, but yum!

LOL, we call this "Husband Delight." It makes me think I should serve it, well, with tea or something.:D

Do you have a recipe that you always turn to because it's fairly easy, tastes great, semi impresses your guests and always turns out great?

My family is coming for a visit next week and I want to have dinner ready for them when they get here. I was looking for something I could partially make ahead or maybe pop in the oven when they arrive. Any ideas?

I do roast with onions, potatoes and carrots. I add in a tossed salad and desert.

Enjoy your family.

Country style ribs cooked in a crock pot on low in BBQ sauce for 4-6 hrs and then tossed on the grill for about 3 mins/side just to crisp them up. Serve with scallop potatoes and mixed green salad.

Herbed, broiled chicken breast.

Rice

Pintos with cheese and salsa - nice for non-meat eating guests, and I have to keep my iron count up so I'm eating it no matter if it is popular or not.

Green beans

Salad - baby greens, shredded carrots, red pepper, grape tomatoes, chopped broccoli, choice of several dressings

Fruit in season - so right now cantalope, watermelon, or peaches, in the winter I do something with my frozen berries or serve my homemade appleasauce with choice of berries on top

Ice Cream if I choose to do a dessert since I generally HATE to bake.

Mostly, I try to avoid inviting people to dinner. I'm an excellent cook, but I despise cooking with a passion and cannot wait UNTIL THESE CHILDREN EAT AT THE COLLEGE CAFETERIA! :D

Faith

I usually do salmon topped with honey mustard (I mix together dijon and honey, but store-bought should work) and crushed walnuts. It pairs well with any starch (new potatoes are nice, but also good with brown rice or buttered noodles. I make a salad (whatever greens look good, red onion, cucumber, tomato, homemade vinaigrette), fresh fruit salad, homemade Greek yogurt, and something baked (lately that has been plum or nectarine upside down cake).

Roast beef when the weather's cool. Something on the grill when it's hot.

Generally, when we're having company, my "go to" solution is to "go to" a restaurant. :tongue_smilie:

I almost never have dinner guests at home. We always take people out to restaurants. It's easier, and there's no clean-up involved.

The recipe ideas on this thread are great, though, and I've already written a few of them down to make for my family.