Menu

Mormons are doing something right; what is it?

I'm trying to tread lightly here, despite making a gross generalization. Mormons are doing something right; what is it?! I have come into contact with a number of mormons and have received such love and support from them. I hear the same story over and over from others. It seems to me that mormons have a stronger sense that the world is larger than themselves and their desires, AND that they have an obligation to that world. These values of selflessness, grace, love, caring for the orphan and widow are also Christian values, but the mormon church seems to do a better job instilling them in their youth. Again, a huge generalization, but the mormons I know have also been more consistently positive and encouraging than the population at large. As a Christian, I feel it is very important that my children learn to be selfless and giving people. I was raised this way myself, though I often fail miserably. I think the church has something to learn here, and I would love to hear your thoughts on this - from mormons, Christians, and everyone else.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. Good question, and thanks for the love. :D A lot of it comes from the knowledge that we are all children of God and that families are eternal--in a sense we are all members of the same eternal family. We also believe that EVERYONE will have the chance to learn and choose Christ if they desire, even in the spirit world after they die, so there isn't an "us vs them" or "saved vs unsaved" dichotomy. We're all here to learn and grow and we're all at different points in our journey, and God loves each and every one of us. We know He still speaks to us today and that we [as in ALL people on Earth] are just as important as His children in Adam's time, Moses's time, and every other time on the earth.

I'm sure I'll think of more profound things later, but that's off the top of my head. (As a Mormon/LDS, obviously. :tongue_smilie:)

Edited by LittleIzumi

I agree. Every single Mormon I know is a genuinely nice, caring, and ethical person and "walks the walk" instead of just paying lip service on the Sabbath. I have some pretty major theological issues with the LDS church, but I am very impressed by the Mormons I know personally.

Hmmm. Good question, and thanks for the love. :D A lot of it comes from the knowledge that we are all children of God and that families are eternal--in a sense we are all members of the same eternal family. We also believe that EVERYONE will have the chance to learn and choose Christ if they desire, even in the spirit world after they die, so there isn't an "us vs them" or "saved vs unsaved" dichotomy. We're all here to learn and grow and we're all at different points in our journey, and God loves each and every one of us. We know He still speaks to us today and that we are just as important as His children in Adam's time, Moses's time, and every other time on the earth.

:iagree:

Well said, LittleIzumi.

Hmmm. Good question, and thanks for the love. :D A lot of it comes from the knowledge that we are all children of God and that families are eternal--in a sense we are all members of the same eternal family. We also believe that EVERYONE will have the chance to learn and choose Christ if they desire, even in the spirit world after they die, so there isn't an "us vs them" or "saved vs unsaved" dichotomy. We're all here to learn and grow and we're all at different points in our journey, and God loves each and every one of us. We know He still speaks to us today and that we [as in ALL people on Earth] are just as important as His children in Adam's time, Moses's time, and every other time on the earth.

I'm sure I'll think of more profound things later, but that's off the top of my head. (As a Mormon/LDS, obviously. :tongue_smilie:)

Non-LDS, and I think it must be the bolded area in the quote. Most Christian denoms are very much us vs. them.

I think the us v them mentality is partially human sinfulness on the part of Christians, and partly incomplete understanding on the part of the world. We DO believe in absolute Truth, in salvation through Christ alone, and in sin. This is often interpreted as intolerance, bigotry, hate. The Bible does not teach multiple ways to eternal life. OK, but I am getting a little off topic here. I don't intend this to become a defense of Christianity. Though, of course, mormon and Christian values must be inextricably linked to theology/doctrine. Because the Bible does teach love, grace, patience, in the midst of these beliefs about salvation. They are NOT negotiable. But something has gotten lost in the modern church, even in the relationships of Christians to one another. Any other Christians want to weigh in here?

Well I must have met the one bad seed.:lol: I used to work with a mormon gal at the Y and she was quite the opposite. She once told me that my dd1(at this time age 2) was the hardest/worst 2 year old ever.:001_huh: I don't remember the exact words but the meaning was taken. By the way my dd was a tough 2 year old but I have met much worse.;) I don't think her attitude had anything to do with her religion by the way.:001_smile:

Edited by twoxcell

I agree. Every single Mormon I know is a genuinely nice, caring, and ethical person and "walks the walk" instead of just paying lip service on the Sabbath. I have some pretty major theological issues with the LDS church, but I am very impressed by the Mormons I know personally.

:iagree: We (DH and I) are also impressed with the way ey handle their finances.

I'm trying to tread lightly here, despite making a gross generalization.

By all means, continue, if all your gross generalizations are this complimentary :lol::lol::lol:

I agree with what LittleIzumi said. I would add that the LDS focus on service probably plays in as well. We have a scripture in the Book of Mormon that says "When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God" (Mosiah 2:17 for anyone who cares to read it in context) and many members take that to heart. There are always service opportunities in any ward (congregation), but we are actively encouraged to look out into our neighborhoods and communities as well. :001_smile: In fact, I saw some of that in action just this week when a house in the neighborhood burned down and another LDS neighbor went over, introduced herself to the family, and then went to work organizing neighbors and friends to provide meals and assistance to the family who lost their home.

If a Mormon is "active," they are going to:

--spend three hours per week in church

--spend 2-3 hours per month visiting church members with a spiritual thought and checking on their welfare

--study the scriptures every day as a family and as individuals

--have a family devotional once per week (called Family Home Evening)

--spend 2-30 hours (yes, that is a huge range) per week on their calling (=church job)

--go to the temple (=spend 2 hours worshipping) as often as they can

--if they are in high school, spend one hour per day (usually before school) at a religion class. If in college or college age, they also take a religion class.

--men (and some women) spend 1.5-2 years in unpaid missionary work

--if they are 8-18, spend 1.5 hours midweek at a church youth group

. . . and I've probably forgotten a few things that could be added to that list. But my point is that we spend a lot of time learning about and then, hopefully, acting on, what we are learning about Jesus Christ.

Wow, thank you for the lovely words! :)

And, like Julie just posted and others have mentioned, service is a HUGE part of our faith. We literally do spend hours out of every week giving service wherever it's needed. None of our church positions are paid...including those of what would be equal to a pastor or priest's position in other faiths. We are a church of volunteers, and everybody does their part through their church calling.

Someone not of my faith who felt much the same way as you, OP, about what they've seen in their experience with LDS people, once asked me what the difference was. My response was simple, "We love each other." I can't tell you how blessed I feel when I go to church every week and meet with my fellow ward members. They are truly like family.

Developing sincere Christ-like love for our fellowmen, and trying to become as much like the Savior as possible while we're here on earth, is the goal of each LDS member. No matter how short we fall of that (and I fall hideously short every single day :D), we just try to make the next day better than the one before. As one of our church presidents, Gordon B. Hinckley, once counseled, "Each day, try a little harder to be a little better."

I guess my motives are somewhat selfish, because I find that whenever I am engaged in service, whether it is driving someone to a doctor's appointment, bringing in a meal, or going to see the ladies in my ward I'm assigned to visit each month, the blessings that come to me, FAR exceed any sacrifice on my part. I'm very grateful for the opportunities I have to serve whenever I can.

I think groups that emphasize compassion and service to others have a different outlook on life.

But most faiths emphasize these things. Why then do the Mormons seem to have much more success actually "walking the walk" than Catholics or Protestants or Jews, etc.?

I think there is an ethos/atmosphere of service in the LDS church that is more pervasive than in the Protestant church at large. A sort of gang mentality, if you will, in the best possible way. EVERYBODY does it. Everybody does within the church, everybody does it outside of the church. Protestant churches vary widely in this. My church, for example, is active. We have many ways to interact with and serve each other. Our pastor encourages and guides us in corporate and private midweek study of the Bible. However, we do a poorer job at finding ways to serve the community. There also seems to be more 'regulation,' if you will, in the LDS church of what family life looks like in terms of worship, etc. Perhaps the western church has not been as successful at resisting the influence of the world and has LDS.

I think there is an ethos/atmosphere of service in the LDS church that is more pervasive than in the Protestant church at large. A sort of gang mentality, if you will, in the best possible way. EVERYBODY does it. Everybody does within the church, everybody does it outside of the church. Protestant churches vary widely in this. My church, for example, is active. We have many ways to interact with and serve each other. Our pastor encourages and guides us in corporate and private midweek study of the Bible. However, we do a poorer job at finding ways to serve the community. There also seems to be more 'regulation,' if you will, in the LDS church of what family life looks like in terms of worship, etc. Perhaps the western church has not been as successful at resisting the influence of the world and has LDS.

I'm not sure what the structure of most Protestant churches is, but the LDS church is set up very organized with people higher up who can be appealed to if things are not proceeding according to scripture/church structure, so that most congregations should function fairly close to the same, guided by the Holy Spirit in discerning individual/community needs, of course. I know that many small denominations of churches can vary widely because the individual pastors have a lot of say in how the churches are run. The LDS church has an overarching structure and a lay ministry that changes regularly. Maybe that's part of why the same service culture is so pervasive in our (LDS) church while other denominations vary a lot based on individual congregations? (I honestly don't know how a lot of other churches are set up, so I could be totally off base. If I am, I'm SO sorry. Just thinking "out loud" here. I know the Catholic church has a large structure, so it wouldn't apply there!)

Edited by LittleIzumi

I think that you've either been either very lucky in the people, who happen to be Mormon, that you know or you're just selective in who you spend time with. Yes, there are many good Mormons, just like there are good people in any other group. But this is not universally true of Mormons.

I grew up in Utah Mormon country, was fostered by a Mormon family, adopted by a Mormon family, and was friends with many Mormon families. It is not the case that they have a automatic claim on "doing something right." My parents did many things right, yes, but they did many, many things wrong, and both I and their natural children still struggle with the effects.

Some random thoughts:

Chastity is REALLY expected, not with a wink or any air ofit being a frivolous idea

- Marriage is eternal, making it important to really work at them

- Work ethic and self reliance are emphasized early and often

- Debt is taught to be a servitude that robs you of free choice

- being prepared in case of a rainy day is REALLY stressed

- bishops and other leaders are unpaid throughout most levels of the Church - helps prevent corruption

- Wards are enforced w geographical areas meeting at the same time/same place - be omes like family

- 3 hrs every Sunday at Church

- All members are given a calling, so everyone has skin in the game

- Children are seen as a great blessing, not a burden

- The values are very traditional. There are no vague iboundaries. The way is straight and narrow

- Seminary in high school - every weekday

- No drinking with the poor judgement that CAN come w it

- Being in the world but not of the world...constant reminders not to fall for the base and immoral in entertainment

- Respecting the body as a temple of the Lord

-Earning Temple recommends and making Temple vows

- Relief Society

- Visiting teachers

-Pioneer-ish pull yrself up by your bootstraps ethos

"Get on yr knees and pray; then get on yr feet and work."

-Frugality

- Charity from individuals, less from gov

Edited by Lisbeth

LittleIzumi, you are right on the structure thing. There are many denominations within the Protestant church. They vary widely in the way they are governed. I come from a presbyterian form of church government. We have a teaching elder and ruling elders to whom we appeal for church discipline, guidance. They have synod and presbytery officials over them. So the various congregations look much alike. I would say, however, that expectations of service in and out of the church are not considered part of the oversight of presbytery, but more the realm of the session (pastor and elders). Some denominations have no real form of church government, or there is no oversight over individual congregations.

It is not the case that they have a automatic claim on "doing something right."

Oh, I do not mean to say they have an automatic claim, or the market cornered on it, by any means. "There is none righteous, not even one." I am making a gross generalization based only on my limited experience (and stories told to me). We all sin, and those around us must suffer the consequences. Forgive me for seeming insensitive. I do NOT intend to say that individual mormons are any 'better' than anyone else, but that there seems to be a more systematic approach to service (with positive results) within the LDS religion than I've observed elsewhere. The values posted by previous posters, including Lisbeth, are ones I strongly believe in, the Bible teaches. They are also values I wish I saw more consistently practiced in the church. Indeed, isn't this the criticism so often waged against the church by the secular world? We as followers of Christ, would be so much more effective in our ministry if our Christ-likeness was more consistently Christ like.

I think, perhaps, LDS members have been more willing to cede some amount of personal autonomy for the greater good.

Yes, it's a huge generalisation. I've seen this in many LDS families. I've also seen really bad cases. One particular friend had her life manipulated by certain people in authority at BYU (including who she married) and it made her life hell. One aunt wasn't permitted back into the church because she refused to give her son up for adoption (he was born out of wedlock). On the other hand, I know some really wonderful LDS families. They have respected our religious differences and one family included my children in their family night, but kept the lesson to something that was general enough to be mutually agreeable (they watched my children during an emergency). There is the good, the bad, and the ugly. I've found the same in other churches.

The families, regardless of church, that I've seen the best out of have been those that have truly loved their children, made the family and family time important, and care about community. Certain churches focus more on community and others focus more on individualism. Either can also run the gamut of being extremely positive or extremely negative. There is much to be said for balance.

Edited by mommaduck

I think groups that emphasize compassion and service to others have a different outlook on life.

:iagree: I'm no longer a member of the Church but I have the utmost respect for my family members that are just as much as I do anyone that truly cares about others and not just to save themselves. It really is about the emphasizing compassion, so its not just the LDS community.

I think a lot of it comes down to training and discipleship. Mormons have a very thorough way of discipling which provides them with guidance in all aspects of life. Most Christian denominations do not. While I don't believe in the Mormon doctrine, I believe there is a lot we can learn from how they teach.

But most faiths emphasize these things. Why then do the Mormons seem to have much more success actually "walking the walk" than Catholics or Protestants or Jews, etc.?

Well, I mean individuals or groups who prioritize service and compassion, rather than a theoretical religious emphasis. Many religions share the same basic emphasis on common decency, but how this plays out in the real world varies considerably.

An example. Compare people who take injunctions to feed to poor seriously, and do it as part of their weekly activities, versus those who give money, versus those who think it's a nice value that someone else can help with, versus those who think the lazy bums should feed themselves, and so on. Some individuals and groups make helping the poor a major part of their activities.

Another example. Someone who helps teen mothers deal with unplanned pregnancies, someone who works with teens to avoid pregnancy, versus someone who stands outside a clinic with a scary sign screaming at everyone around.

I've met a lot of Catholics who emphasize service, particularly women religious (=sisters), who are wonderful and inspiring souls.

Some religions, and this can often be a particular geographic region or congregation, are more interested in helping others. Others find it easier to turn away from things that bother them. I have seen documentaries on many women around the world, of different religions, who run orphanages.

That being said, when I was in college, Mormons saw me coming and looked the other way. Seriously. No one ever attempted to talk to me or give me a book when they had their campus outreach events. I was honestly a bit miffed. I don't really know any Mormons. I did drive through Utah once and loved it. Those mountains are so lovely. I don't think I'd ever seen so many blond people in one place, though. ;)

I would be interested in how Mormons translate their beliefs into action.

That being said, when I was in college, Mormons saw me coming and looked the other way. Seriously. No one ever attempted to talk to me or give me a book when they had their campus outreach events. I was honestly a bit miffed. I don't really know any Mormons. I did drive through Utah once and loved it. Those mountains are so lovely. I don't think I'd ever seen so many blond people in one place, though. ;)

I would be interested in how Mormons translate their beliefs into action.

Boo. I'm not blonde in the slightest and I'll totally talk to you. :D

Boo. I'm not blonde in the slightest and I'll totally talk to you. :D

:iagree: Not a blonde bone in my body. LOL But you're right, there are a lot of blondes here. And the mountains are breathtaking. Especially for a girl who grew up at sea level. :D

I think, perhaps, LDS members have been more willing to cede some amount of personal autonomy for the greater good.

At this point I've spent about the same amount of my adult life as a Mormon and a post-Mormon, and I think the bolded part has a lot to do with what you are observing.

I would say that the youth group in my current church does as much or more community service as the Mormon youth groups I was in as a youth, saw around me, and worked with as an adult. The key difference is that my current church places a high value on letting kids make their own choices about church attendance and involvement, so the youth group is smaller. Mormonism, in my experience, teaches that each person should make their own decision about the Church, but only one decision is correct. :D Mormon youth (or adults) who don't participate are "fellowshipped" back into activity.

Mormonism has a lot of incentives for doing what the church teaches is good behavior (and correspondingly, consequences for not). I know people who view that as a great thing and those who don't.

I agree with the replies so far.

One thing I would add is that the Mormon church gives its members a sense of purpose that tends to inspire better behavior. From the earliest ages you are taught that you are a child of God and God has a plan for you. Teenage boys are given the priesthood, this holy brotherhood, that inspires them to be better than teenage boys are (not perfect of course, but better). Our callings are put into a context of important work for the Lord. Ordinary responsibilities of marriage and children are given a higher purpose. Even problems ("adversity," "trials") have a higher purpose of helping us become better people. This kind of outlook inspires people to try harder and not quit.

I'm not Mormon, but I have a good friend who is. From what I can tell, I think the Mormon church gets into its members "business" a lot more than most churches of today. It seems that the Mormon church gives a lot of personal direction or even requirements on how you should live, your home life, finances, and parenting. I think most other denominations see that as legalism and flee from it when they could really create a lot stronger Christians if they didn't. I don't think most Christians in America would want a church doing that, though, so churches give people what they want.

I think politics and media in this country have created more of the us vs. them mentality than the doctrine of hell. Christianity is so politicized that too many see the Lost as the enemy when we are supposed to see them as the Harvest. I pray God has mercy on us for that and so many other things.

The doctrine that all people are children of God helps, I think. Service is a common topic for talks (sermons) and lessons. The women's organization has a person whose job it is to organize help for anyone in the ward (congregation) that needs it. When I was on bedrest with my recent pregnancy, women signed up to bring in meals, help take kids to various places, and even come clean the house. It was a very moving experience to be helped by so many people. Being on the receiving end of such service makes me want to "pay it forward" when I see someone else in need.

I'm not Mormon, but I have a good friend who is. From what I can tell, I think the Mormon church gets into its members "business" a lot more than most churches of today. It seems that the Mormon church gives a lot of personal direction or even requirements on how you should live, your home life, finances, and parenting. I think most other denominations see that as legalism and flee from it when they could really create a lot stronger Christians if they didn't. I don't think most Christians in America would want a church doing that, though, so churches give people what they want.

Some Mormons see it as legalism, too, and would prefer to see things relax. ;)

At this point I've spent about the same amount of my adult life as a Mormon and a post-Mormon, and I think the bolded part has a lot to do with what you are observing.

I would say that the youth group in my current church does as much or more community service as the Mormon youth groups I was in as a youth, saw around me, and worked with as an adult. The key difference is that my current church places a high value on letting kids make their own choices about church attendance and involvement, so the youth group is smaller. Mormonism, in my experience, teaches that each person should make their own decision about the Church, but only one decision is correct. :D Mormon youth (or adults) who don't participate are "fellowshipped" back into activity.

Mormonism has a lot of incentives for doing what the church teaches is good behavior (and correspondingly, consequences for not). I know people who view that as a great thing and those who don't.

This makes sense. While my church places a lot of emphasis on serving others, social justice, etc. there isn't collective responsibility for making sure each member actually participates the way it sounds like the LDS church does.

I think the us v them mentality is partially human sinfulness on the part of Christians, and partly incomplete understanding on the part of the world. We DO believe in absolute Truth, in salvation through Christ alone, and in sin. This is often interpreted as intolerance, bigotry, hate. The Bible does not teach multiple ways to eternal life. OK, but I am getting a little off topic here. I don't intend this to become a defense of Christianity. Though, of course, mormon and Christian values must be inextricably linked to theology/doctrine. Because the Bible does teach love, grace, patience, in the midst of these beliefs about salvation. They are NOT negotiable. But something has gotten lost in the modern church, even in the relationships of Christians to one another. Any other Christians want to weigh in here?

:iagree:

I'm a Christian and have been in several different denominations from ultra-liberal to ultra-conservative and everything in between. I have never understood the "us vs. them" thing. I've never gotten that vibe in church. I have gotten that vibe from individual people...so I think it is due to the selfish nature of man.

I have two cousins who are both Mormon and have amazing family values and a love for people. While we don't agree on everything, I have definitely seen a huge difference in their lives.

Wow this is interesting. The only Mormon people I knew were not very friendly. In fact, I knew one Mormon girl in high school. We wanted to be friends but her mother could not encourage it because I was not Mormon.

I have no idea if that is the norm or not. I did not really form an opinion about Mormons because of that, it's just my limited experience.

This makes sense. While my church places a lot of emphasis on serving others, social justice, etc. there isn't collective responsibility for making sure each member actually participates the way it sounds like the LDS church does.

Well, there is no such thing as "mandatory" service. That would defeat the whole point. LOL Each person does what they are able to do. In some seasons of life, that means you're able to contribute a great deal of time. In other seasons, not so much.

We do have a very stable infrastructure that enables service projects to be carried out quickly and efficiently, so the organization is easy, as everyone has a role to play based on their church calling. Plus, we pass around great sign-up sheets. :D

I also think it's important to understand that we serve because we truly love to do it. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head. I have a blast when I do a service project. I get to be with my friends, we laugh, we talk, we eat (food IS mandatory :D), and we accomplish something good as well. Serving others is a joy in my life and I would say that most other LDS people feel the same way.

Nobody is drummed out of the church, ridiculed, mocked or "talked to" if they don't participate in a service project.

I find personal inspiration in the life and teachings of the man we look to as the Lord's living prophet, President Thomas S. Monson. He has spent his entire life seeking to serve others, and actively teaches the principle of service. I love this talk he gave during the worldwide LDS General Conference a few years ago. Here is a brief excerpt:

My brothers and sisters, may we ask ourselves the question which greeted Dr. Jack McConnell and his brothers and sisters each evening at dinnertime: Ă¢â‚¬Å“What have I done for someone today?Ă¢â‚¬ May the words of a familiar hymn penetrate our very souls and find lodgment in our hearts:

Have I done any good in the world today?

Have I helped anyone in need?

Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?

If not, I have failed indeed.

Has anyoneĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s burden been lighter today

Because I was willing to share?

Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?

When they needed my help was I there? 13

That service to which all of us have been called is the service of the Lord Jesus Christ.

It's an ideal to which I aspire, though I often fall short. I feel strongly that my primary responsibility right now is to care for my own family, and usually that alone stretches me to the limits of my abilities. But I have also noticed that when I do reach out beyond myself and make the time to serve others--taking a meal to someone who is sick, for example--my own burdens actually become lighter and easier to carry.

--Sarah

Wow this is interesting. The only Mormon people I knew were not very friendly. In fact, I knew one Mormon girl in high school. We wanted to be friends but her mother could not encourage it because I was not Mormon.

I have no idea if that is the norm or not. I did not really form an opinion about Mormons because of that, it's just my limited experience.

Not the norm, or shouldn't be, just like it shouldn't be the norm of ANY denomination. That's actually completely backwards from the main LDS ideas of serving others and sharing the Gospel through our examples.

It's an ideal to which I aspire, though I often fall short. I feel strongly that my primary responsibility right now is to care for my own family, and usually that alone stretches me to the limits of my abilities. But I have also noticed that when I do reach out beyond myself and make the time to serve others--taking a meal to someone who is sick, for example--my own burdens actually become lighter and easier to carry.

--Sarah

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Not the norm, or shouldn't be, just like it shouldn't be the norm of ANY denomination. That's actually completely backwards from the main LDS ideas of serving others and sharing the Gospel through our examples.

I kind of figured that. I really have not known too many. And you are perfectly nice :D

I had a bad experience with the mormon "clique" when I was in college. Of course, those were young, immature people so perhaps not the best representatives of their faith.

Where I live the kindest people seem to be the muslims and the hippies...

As an active member of the hippie community, I agree that hippies are very nice people. :D Muslims also- I went to school with many of them, and they were all, to a person, extremely polite, kind, and caring people.

I haven't really met any Mormons irl, but the ones I see on tv seem nice. :tongue_smilie:

Well, there is no such thing as "mandatory" service. That would defeat the whole point. LOL Each person does what they are able to do. In some seasons of life, that means you're able to contribute a great deal of time. In other seasons, not so much.

We do have a very stable infrastructure that enables service projects to be carried out quickly and efficiently, so the organization is easy, as everyone has a role to play based on their church calling. Plus, we pass around great sign-up sheets. :D

I also think it's important to understand that we serve because we truly love to do it. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head. I have a blast when I do a service project. I get to be with my friends, we laugh, we talk, we eat (food IS mandatory :D), and we accomplish something good as well. Serving others is a joy in my life and I would say that most other LDS people feel the same way.

Nobody is drummed out of the church, ridiculed, mocked or "talked to" if they don't participate in a service project.

Uh, yes there is mandatory service. Church calls can in theory be turned down, but then one gets socially dinged for it. Also, if you're receiving church welfare there are requirements made of you and your time.

Service projects can be a lot like... high school projects. Say a group of kids get together and form a prom committee. These people become friends and tend to hang out together. The same can be true with wards or branches in the LDS church - a clique can form. Now, it's up to the people in the group if they are open or exclusionary.

One of the hardest lessons for me to learn in the LDS church is that we have the same amount of sin in our church and in our members as any other church.

Don't even get me started on how hard it is to be a member of the LDS church and politically liberal :lol:

Why then do the Mormons seem to have much more success actually "walking the walk" than Catholics or Protestants or Jews, etc.?

Mmmm, good question - so good I couldn't walk away from it! IMO, it's because the LDS church teaches values in a very WTM way. One thing is that there is a three year cycle to the scriptures. Right now we as a church are studying the New Testament. After that will come the Book of Mormon, and then back to the Old Testament/Hebrew Scriptures.

Hummm, maybe I should explain how a typical Sunday works for us. Church services often begin at 10AM. First we have what is called a worship service. Right off the bat we have communion, then we'll listen to about three different fifteen minute talks (or sermons) from regular church members. We have a brief break and then go to Sunday School for the adults and Primary for the children. In the adult Sunday School we do the scripture study for about an hour. Then we get another little break and then we go to gender-segregated classes. The men go to a Priesthood meeting and the women go to Relief Society. Now, Relief Society is a group that does most of the service projects because that's what it was organized to do - help take care of people.

Three hours later we go home and work on keeping the Sabbath holy. How that is done/achieved is highly individualistic.

So, to review we study the scriptures as a church - worldwide. Then we have classes that help reinforce LDS culture, history, and teachings. There are a few specialty classes such as Gospel Principals for new members to help them understand the basic teachings of the church. Rinse and repeat.

To me that is the key - the cyclic teaching.

Wanna be friends? :D (I live in Utah Valley. Not a lot of liberals around here. :tongue_smilie:)

Heck yeah! We should like, have a group potluck, put together a newsletter. I mean there are all of twenty of us - right :lol:

Thank you so much for this thread. I have no interest in converting to LDS, but I have noticed over and over again, for years, that they really practice what they preach. In particular, I'm struck by how strong their families seem to be. There is a peace and a stability that seems to surround them. I know that they're mere mortals like the rest of us ;), and they have struggles and suffering and sins just like everyone else -- but they stand out, somehow. In my experience this is even more true of LDS homeschoolers. I've always wanted to ask MamaSheep about this... I hope she sees this thread and weighs in.