Menu

What are you reading?

Just finished these and returned them to the library last night:

Never let me go / Kauzo Ishiguro.

Eat, pray, love : one woman's search for everything across Italy, India and Indonesia / Elizabeth Gilbert.

The Wal-Mart effect : how the world's most powerful company really works-- and how it's transforming the American economy / Charles Fishman.

Just picked up these:

Patriot hearts : a novel of the founding mothers / Barbara Hambly.

So brave, young, and handsome / Leif Enger.

I mostly stick to nonfiction:

Deer Hunting with Jesus (Joe Bageant) - finished

A Power Governments Cannot Suppress (Howard Zinn) - next on list

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Malcolm Gladwell) - currently reading

Escape (Carolyn Jessop) - finished

I really enjoy summer reading. I get to read books I usually don't have time for during the school year. At the moment I am read Twilight by Stephenie Meyers. This is really a different type of book for me. It is pretty good, and very easy to read.

Oh, I LOVED that series, and I HATE vampire books!! Right now I'm reading What is So Amazing About Grace by Philip Yancy and The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow.

I'm rereading "Knit Together-Finding God's Pattern for your Life" by Debbie Macomber. Terrific! I'm listening to "To Say Nothing Of The Dog" by Connie Willis. I think I would have been better off with an actual book for that one as I keep wanting to rewind and listen to something again to make sure I got it.

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

I'm not enjoying it much. It's hard to get used to the dialect in which it's written. It's been pretty boring so far, though it has gotten a little more interesting in the last third of the book, and I feel it's starting to go somewhere finally. I'm really just not feeling a lot of sympathy for the characters. I can understand Janie, but there isn't enough there to make me really like her and want to know more.

Just finishing Stiff by Mary Roach
Oh, I loved this book. :)

I'm finishing up A House Divided by Pearl Buck and a couple nonfiction books, and am getting pysched to tackle Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell.

Grapes of Wrath (can you believe I've never read this? I don't know how I managed to not read it in High School. Probably something I was supposed to read but chose to wing it. I wasn't a big reader until I started homeschooling. THAT is amazing in itself)

Anna Karenina - this is taking me a long time. I've been reading it off and on for the last 8 weeks. By the way, how do you pronounce that last name? I see it as it's spelled- care-a-neena. But every person I know corrects me and says it's care-eena. Which is it?

Boundaries for Kids

What to Expect the First Year

Oh, and I'm reading the unabridged version of Around the World in Eighty Days to my dd. I've never read this before either and I'm loving it!

I mostly stick to nonfiction:

Deer Hunting with Jesus (Joe Bageant) - finished

A Power Governments Cannot Suppress (Howard Zinn) - next on list

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Malcolm Gladwell) - currently reading

Escape (Carolyn Jessop) - finished

I saw Deer Hunting With Jesus in your list and thought, "Nonfiction huh?" I had to look it up on amazon.com. It looks very interesting. What did you think of it?

Grapes of Wrath (can you believe I've never read this? I don't know how I managed to not read it in High School. Probably something I was supposed to read but chose to wing it. I wasn't a big reader until I started homeschooling. THAT is amazing in itself)

The Grapes of Wrath wasn't required when I was in high school. My ds read it his junior year and they made it tie into both American literature and American history. I don't know if dd had to read it last year. I think they change things up sometimes.

Isn't it a great book though? I have to admit that I read the first chapter and thought "WTF?" at first, but then I realized the significance and thought it was pretty cool. Dh couldn't get past that first chapter though. He's not one who likes to read fiction anyway. All reading must have a very clear purpose for him.

I am almost finished with Deconstructing Penguins; it's quite good.

Planet Narnia is fascinating! If you're a C.S. Lewis fan, you MUST read this book!

What to Listen for in Music is by composer Aaron Copland. I'm currently listening to a lecture series called Masterpieces of Western Music, and was inspired to do further reading.

On the nightstand, waiting for me to crack them open:

Reason for God, by Tim Keller.

That math book by Liping Ma.

It's VBS week, so I'm a bit behind on my reading! :lol:

Oddly enough, so far the first chapter has been my favorite. It's so descriptive, so...John Steinbeck. I am able to get such a clear visual and you could tell from the first chapter how it was the basis for the entire book.

Now, I'm only on chapter 5 (maybe it's 6 now) and it's actually starting to dull for me. I'm hoping it's interesting why Joad's family farm is vacant (he just came over the hill with the preacher and noticed that the house was "different" and no one was there).

Hmm, makes me wanna go pick it up and resume my reading. Baby is falling asleep, pizza dough is rising in the oven, kids are outside getting ready to swim, house is a mess, laundry needs to be done...sounds like the perfect opportunity to resume reading. ;)

Going Home by Wanda Brunstetter (Book 1 in the Brides of Webster County Series)

How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less

Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire

In the queue are

Book 2 in the aforementioned series

The Jewel Trader of Pegu by Jeffrey Hantover (a novel I picked up at the library)

I'm listening to "To Say Nothing Of The Dog" by Connie Willis.
This is probably the funniest book I have ever read.

I'm reading The Creative Family by Amanda Soule - love her blog!

http://soulemama.typepad.com/soulemama/

I'm also reading...

Perfection Salad: Women and Cooking at the Turn of the Century

Something from The Oven: Reinventing Dinner in 1950's America

both by Laura Shapiro

I love books about the history of homemaking for some reason. Need a novel to read though!

In the last week or so, I've read The City of Ember, Falling Angels (Tracy Chevalier), and Promises to Keep (Charles de Lint). I also re-read Onion Girl (also de Lint).

I'm currently reading yet one more de Lint, Widdershins, plus pre-reading a couple of things on my son's list for next year: Boy of the Painted Cave and The Number Devil.

And I'm waiting my turn for Superior Saturday (Garth Nix), which we just bought a couple of days ago. My son started reading the series, talked me into joining him, and then the two of us ganged up on his sister. They're kids' books, to be sure, but interesting and fun ones.

Haven't read much lately - things have just been too hectic for me to take the time to sit down and read. I just started Undead and Unworthy, which is book 7 of the Queen Betsy Vampire series. The books are light and very funny, and I'm enjoying it. I think I might re-read the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy books when I'm done with this one. I've got a stress-induced illness that's fairly severe right now, so anything light is GOOD!

In the last week or so, I've read The City of Ember, Falling Angels (Tracy Chevalier), and Promises to Keep (Charles de Lint). I also re-read Onion Girl (also de Lint).

I'm currently reading yet one more de Lint, Widdershins, plus pre-reading a couple of things on my son's list for next year: Boy of the Painted Cave and The Number Devil.

And I'm waiting my turn for Superior Saturday (Garth Nix), which we just bought a couple of days ago. My son started reading the series, talked me into joining him, and then the two of us ganged up on his sister. They're kids' books, to be sure, but interesting and fun ones.

I loved City of Ember and People of Sparks, my dd wont give me the prequel yet. I just finished other dd's required reading The Dark is Rising, that was good. Now I have to see if she will lend me the series.

On the adult end I am reading Pillars of the Earth, I think thats what is called, an Oprah book. I usually like her books, but this one is just trash. I am on pp 200 and cannot get through it. I dont like the language or s=x in the book. Not a fan.

Anyone have another suggestion for a great summer read, thats not smutty.

Jet

At the moment I am read Twilight by Stephenie Meyers. This is really a different type of book for me.

I'm currently reading the second book in the series, New Moon. My teen talked me into reading these and although it's a bit different the my usual reads I am enjoying it. :001_smile: