Menu

Dh and boys rear-ended on interstate just now

They are okay (at least for now), but I am so angry. This 2007 van was kept in immaculate shape. We paid it off in less than two years, and now look at it.

Yes, I am so very thankful they are all okay. My dh was taking the boys out of town for the annual mom alone time, dad with boys trip.

A man slammed into them, pushed them off the interstate into the grass, and then slammed into someone else. I am not positive how the other man is doing, but he was carried away in a stretcher.

Prayers and thoughts much appreciated for all.

Those two boys in that van -- it just makes me so angry that they were threatened.

Edited by nestof3

I'm so sorry. I've been in the middle of a chain reaction crash three times...with my youngest in the car every time. No fun. Front and back ends bashed in. :glare:

Make his insurance company get you a rental. Immediately. Make them pay for a van, too, not a sedan. Tell them you need a van and you're not settling for a Taurus. I've always had my rental the same day the accident occurred. Get the number from the police report and call his insurance company. Be the squeaky wheel.

I don't know what your state's insurance laws are, but we always chose the body shop we wanted to do the work on our van. Check your state's laws on that. The easiest way I found to know what I needed was to call MY insurance agent and ask them what the laws were. My agent told me all I needed to know.

Get your boys checked out by a doctor and make sure you tell the doctor it was an auto accident. Bring the police report and the man's insurance info. They will bill them for you. Generally the whiplash from being rearended begins the next day. Your dh will probably be sore. Your littles should be ok. Sometimes there is bruising from the seat belts. Did the air bags deploy? They definitely need to be checked out if that happened...that's a serious crash.

Be prepared to spend lots of time on the phone. It's so irritating.

Glad everyone is ok. :grouphug:

They are okay (at least for now), but I am so angry. This 2007 van was kept in immaculate shape. We paid it off in less than two years, and now look at it.

Yes, I am so very thankful they are all okay. My dh was taking the boys out of town for the annual mom alone time, dad with boys trip.

A man slammed into them, pushed them off the interstate into the grass, and then slammed into someone else. I am not positive how the other man is doing, but he was carried away in a stretcher.

Prayers and thoughts much appreciated for all.

Those two boys in that van -- it just makes me so angry that they were threatened.

Glad everyone is ok, at least. Sorry about your van.

Odds that the guy was texting and/or tailgating (violating the 3 second rule)? Betcha a steak dinner.

Maybe he had an attack or something and I hope he is ok. But most of the accidents are caused by those tailgaters.

Wow, I am sorry. Thank God they are OK. I second having everyone checked out by a doctor, though.

I understand the anger. It is so frustrating when other drivers don't pay attention, or deliberately drive unsafely.

I hope your insurance does well by you. :grouphug:

Wow - SCARY! So glad they are ok, that just freaks me out. And so sorry it was on your weekend. Not very relaxing with a call like that.

Were the kids upset and scared?

Ben cried a little; Nathan seemed unmoved. Ben has had diarrhea now.

The guy's insurance company won't do anything until Monday. My dad drove up there last night to get them and their belongings.

I'm so sorry. I've been in the middle of a chain reaction crash three times...with my youngest in the car every time. No fun. Front and back ends bashed in. :glare:

Make his insurance company get you a rental. Immediately. Make them pay for a van, too, not a sedan. Tell them you need a van and you're not settling for a Taurus. I've always had my rental the same day the accident occurred. Get the number from the police report and call his insurance company. Be the squeaky wheel.

I don't know what your state's insurance laws are, but we always chose the body shop we wanted to do the work on our van. Check your state's laws on that. The easiest way I found to know what I needed was to call MY insurance agent and ask them what the laws were. My agent told me all I needed to know.

Get your boys checked out by a doctor and make sure you tell the doctor it was an auto accident. Bring the police report and the man's insurance info. They will bill them for you. Generally the whiplash from being rearended begins the next day. Your dh will probably be sore. Your littles should be ok. Sometimes there is bruising from the seat belts. Did the air bags deploy? They definitely need to be checked out if that happened...that's a serious crash.

Be prepared to spend lots of time on the phone. It's so irritating.

Glad everyone is ok. :grouphug:

Great news that they are all okay! You made a good choice in choosing that van.

Okay, I'm from Michigan, but can someone fill me in here on what the other driver's insurance company has to do with it?

Here in Michigan if you choose not to have full coverage, opting for PLPD only, you are accepting the risk of losing your vehicle in exchange for paying less for insurance. Period. No matter who is at fault. The other driver would only get up to $1000 in the form of something called a "mini tort".

Maybe I misunderstood and the other driver's insurance in this case is just expected to pay medical costs?

His may not, but what about yours? They should help you deal with the other company.

We did end up going through ours. The experience was more pleasant. It seems the guy's insurance will be billed for it. We will get a minivan one later in the week as one becomes available.

So thankful that your boys were ok. The 2nd picture of the side airbag deployed brought me to tears, we have an '06 Odyssey and just bought a '12 Odyssey and I'm convinced they're one of the safest vehicles out there. I'm relieved that you're all safe and sound!

Yes, the right side curtain airbag deployed. Thankfully, no one was sitting in the far back row. I think the boys understand now why we are so adamant about seat belts and such. It was uncomfortable unpacking their laundry baskets (how we pack them for a trip) because I kept finding little parts of the van and little bits of glass and light covers in the basket.

Right now, we are trying to decide whether we should push the claim through our insurance company (State Farm) and pay the deductible or his (Progressive). I have a hard time trusting them.

I know it seems silly, but I really loved my van. I had never had a new one -- one that came to us clean (you all know I am mildly OCD, right?). We kept such good care of it. We also had brand new tires at $500 put on the van.

We are nervous about what the outcome will be.

Also, the driver is in the hospital with a concussion, but I do not know how severe his injuries are.

If we file the claim through our insurance company, we will have to pay the $500 deductible ourselves, but the insurance company the guy has will reimburse our insurance company the value of the van or the repair costs.

If we go through his insurance, it won't cost us the deductible.

Yes, we have always had full coverage on our van.

And, yes, if we have medical costs, they too will be paid for by his insurance company.

It really comes down to fault -- he was driving too close and was not paying attention to the fact that everyone else in the lane was decelerating. It was not bumper-to-bumper traffic or anything. Everyone had been going 65/70 mph prior to the need to slow down to about 45 because someone was holding up the lane. There was no hold up in the right lane at all.

Great news that they are all okay! You made a good choice in choosing that van.

Okay, I'm from Michigan, but can someone fill me in here on what the other driver's insurance company has to do with it?

Here in Michigan if you choose not to have full coverage, opting for PLPD only, you are accepting the risk of losing your vehicle in exchange for paying less for insurance. Period. No matter who is at fault. The other driver would only get up to $1000 in the form of something called a "mini tort".

Maybe I misunderstood and the other driver's insurance in this case is just expected to pay medical costs?

Full coverage, though, doesn't really replace the van, though. I guess that's what frustrates me. If it is not repairable, we will most likely never find a used Odyssey that was in the shape ours was in because we kept the interior in such good condition. We never had animals in the van, we used towels on the floor in muddy situations, the boys' seat had little towels on them to keep their feet from rubbing the seat, we never ate fast food in the van, I shampooed the carpets, etc. The mileage on it was about 50,000 in five years.

So, my husband said we'll just spend the extra $8,000 or so to get a new one.

Yes, all in all, it's really not that big of a deal. Everyone is fine. But, add that to $5,000 in braces this year, a new dishwasher last week, our insurance increasing another $100 a month, etc., and it makes me a little cranky. :glare:

Praising that your family is safe!

Not everyone is always that blessed. A friend's gf was killed on Thursday and his two dd's are fighting for their lives. I tell you that only to remind you that a van is a van. Hug your kids tightly today.

I know. It could have been so much worse, and trust me, I know it. I so wish people took driving more seriously. I have been driving the interstate every day to take the boys to summer camp, and everyday, there is an accident on the way there or on the way home. And, every day, I am driving behind someone not paying attention because they are talking on the phone, texting, reaching behind them, etc. It makes me upset because I know that the boys in my van are more important than their phone call, their texting, or whatever else they are doing. Accidents resulting from not paying attention to the road in front of you should not happen at all.

So sorry about the accident, but glad your guys are okay.

How terribly frustrating losing your van, and being scared about your family's wellbeing *and* losing 'Mom weekend'. :grouphug: Weren't some/all of your guys sick last year, and your 'mom weekend' was cancelled? I hope you'll be able to reschedule your weekend alone, and the guys will enjoy their weekend away.

:grouphug:

It really comes down to fault -- he was driving too close and was not paying attention to the fact that everyone else in the lane was decelerating. It was not bumper-to-bumper traffic or anything. Everyone had been going 65/70 mph prior to the need to slow down to about 45 because someone was holding up the lane. There was no hold up in the right lane at all.

Not in Michigan. Crazy as it sounds, in Michigan you'd be paying your own repairs no matter who was at fault. Someone could purposely drive into you, and your insurance would pay. I know someone who was hit in a parking lot while walking, and his insurance company footed the bill. He can't even sue the driver (or is very limited in what he can collect or something like that).

Googling it though, I can see Michigan is the rare exception (and we all HATE it!). I really thought the whole no-fault thing was more common.

Edited by darlasowders