Menu

Now, I'm making lasagna for supper :) With zuccini noodles and pinenut/cashew ricotta :)

I make something I call lasagna when I am doing low carb. I use all the cheeses , ground beef, and the lowest carb sauce, and use layers of spinach and zucchini and yellow squash.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK for all the people still harping on cereal which I clearly stated was not the big deal. Now her dad cannot pick her up till tonight and he was too busy at work to speak to me. When I asked if I could take her home her mom wouldn't like that she said? I have been nothing but nice to this girl and I did not grill her about her parents.

These are the rules No I don't want a kid here unless I talk to a parent what if she is a runaway I could get in legal trouble saying I didn't know won't cut it the law. I know this my dad is a cop. I took them all out for pizza which she ate just fine so no allergies to dairy there.

I know why she won't meat my eyes and why she wanted to pig out at my house because the whole drive from wherever she was she was getting high with her sister in law I saw the texts on my phone. I also overheard the converstaion at Walmart when they were walking behind me with her telling my daughter stuff and my daughter saying that she should have told her she smokes and coming over isn't a good idea anymore

My littles finally told me that lastnight she was cussing while they played when my daughter was in the shower saying how bad it was to have little ###### in the room they should go play somewhere else. If I didn't have a darn cold I would have smelled it myself. My daughter is in her room upset telling me nothing is wrong the girl is on the porch waiting for her dad even though he won't be here for hours.

I have still done nothing but be kind to this girl even though I overheard her telling my kid she will let everyone know what a good goody she is before walking out the door. I don't mind guests never have my kids know this There has been weirdness since the kid got here. I also do expect any kid in this house to follow my rules regardless.

I would also expect my kids to follow other peoples. I have never had a kid not wanna be here but I guess up until now my kids have never been around pot smokers and sneaks.

Ok..... I kept holding off on responding because something didn't seem right yet I couldn't put my finger on it. The dishonest from the beginning, the locking of the door, THOSE. Were immediate red flags in my book. That girl knew you thout her SIL was her mom and never corrected that belief. The mom's phone is broken, the dad can't receive calls, so you spoke to neither parent (although you thought you did and the girl thought you did....). HUGE red flags.

And I always, always, always tell moms to trust their mommy gut. You felt uneasy all along, there was a reason for it, you are starting to find out why as of this post.

I would have issues with dd locking me out of her room. Yes, our kids have locks on their doors to keep their SIBLINGS away from their stuff, but they were NEVER allowed to use them on parents. When one kid did, they lost the door knob completely and with it the ability to close the door tightly.

I did think the girl probably turned down the meal to be polite. Not many kids would feel comfortable saying "I don't like that." but now we know she was avoiding you because she was on drugs.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over this. All our kids are strangers to us at some point. You didn't know this girl, you invited her into your home, you THOUGHT you had spoken to her parents. All seems normal to me. But the lies, deceit, locked door, creeped out kids, your discomfort........ You were right all along. This wasn't a good friend to have over. Lesson learned.

:grouphug:

If your daughter knew and understood the rules, she should buy the family another box of cereal with her own money. I do feel bad for your DD. It sounds like she was put in an awkward situation by her guest and didn't know how to react. If the only person she generally has over is the girl who is like a daughter to you, I assume that the other girl is well aware of your house rules. This new friend was not, and DD might have been stuck between a rock and a hard place between the family rules and trying to be a good hostess. I do understand a tight budget. As others have suggested, maybe you can have some inexpensive snacks on hand for cases like this. I always have popcorn around because it's cheap and all the kids I know like it. I would also have a talk with DD about how she needs to follow the family rules (no locked doors, etc.) when she has guests, and it is her responsibility to make sure the guests follow the rules as well.

Edited to add: I just read your follow-up post. Wow! Your daughter was certainly put in a bad position if she didn't know her friend was on drugs. It sounds from the exchange that she is not comfortable with her friend doing these things. Turn this into a learning experience. Your daughter exercised bad judgement and I think she knows it. Have a gentle conversation about what DD could have done differently and what to look for in the future so this doesn't happen. I remember being 15 and shocked when some of my friends did drugs. Only "bad people" and "people in movies" did that sort of thing. That's how innocent I was. Your DD could be that innocent too where she was so out of her element with this situation that she really didn't know what to do. Could the girl have possibly pressed DD to allow her to spend the night because she had no where else to go? Maybe DD wasn't comfortable with it from the get-go, but didn't know how to say no. Saying no and listening to your gut are difficult things for even adults to learn. A conversation with mom confirming that she should have listened to her gut could have a lasting, positive impact on your DD. The more I read, the more I truly feel it wasn't so much that your DD was being disobedient, but that she is a really good, nice kid who was out of her element in the situation she found herself in.

Edited by jujsky

Ahh so the kid had the muchies. I remember going through a few boxes of fruit roll ups myself, and I still turned into a pretty productive adult. :001_smile:

Look, there is a reason this kid is smoking pot. And your house may be an oasis. YOUR house and your family and your love may be the house and love and family that changes her life.

Be nice. Ask the kid if you can help. Go the extra mile.

While I do agree with this, I would never allow that kid back into the home. She was rude to the little kids, she scared them, and it is jot the type of kid who I would want around young children. Bad example and all....

I don't know where you got the I grilled her about her parents bit? I asked for a phone number she said the phone was broke, I asked to call her dad she said I can't. That is all that has been said period. I don't see how i have been unkind I have spent maybe 10 minutes total in her company and was friendly.

I can be polite and kind even if I don't like someone. That is just adult behavior. As is she dug her own grave my kid wants nothing to do with her now so I can still say my kid has great judgement and learns from her mistakes.

I know all their friends I know their families I think it is weird any mother would not want to know who her kid is around

I have been :confused: at some of the responses because I have not seen anywhere where you have been inkind either.

Also, I completely agree to the no food in bedroom rule. When my kids have friends over, they eat on the main floor or basement only. And to be honest, I prefer food to reman in the kitchen.

Both dd's are getting a nice room to hang out with their friends n the basement. Upstairs is our bedrooms and I haven't allowed friends up there for years since someone went throu my room once.i told the girls that they can eat downstairs with their friends. The FIRST tme they don't clean up after themselves and leave any trace of food down there will be the last time they eat down there. I don't want bugs either!

I make something I call lasagna when I am doing low carb. I use all the cheeses , ground beef, and the lowest carb sauce, and use layers of spinach and zucchini and yellow squash.

Were gf here and dairy limited ie I stick to low lactose varieties and limited amounts. I prefer to be grain free as well, thus the zucchini, which is also free from the garden, so win/win :)

I have helped kids for years all kinds of kids even troubled ones. I am raising two special needs boys I am not rigid. No I have never been involved around a child who does drugs they are not one my kid would hang out with. It is not being judmental it is being safe. I would not associate with an adult who is doing drugs either. Protect yourself first.

She is just sitting there not doing anything wrong so I am not calling the police. I let her come over because it is summer, she had been out of town and there had been no chance to get to know her. I had no idea that the person bringing her was not her mother neither did my daughter.

You have stated more than once how you open your door to your kid's friends, have great relationships with them, have kept them for extended periods of time, they love that you cook for them, etc. Clearly you are a mom others feel comfortable with. You are known to be hospitable and like that yours is the house kids want to hang out at.

This visitor had you AND your young kids uncomfortable, and now your dd is also uncomfortable. Your mommy gut was right all alone (it always is!) and I am with you 100%. I would NOT allow drug using teens around my young kids. To do so would jeopardize their safety.

I tried once more to get her to come in the front room told her she could watch TV alone until her dad gets here she said no she would rather sit outside than listen to the loud brats playing. She also told me for my information her mother could care less where she is she hasn't been home in months and her dad said do whatever she wanted but if she got arrested she was on her own. If I thought that by speaking to her dad she would get in trouble she warned me I would be lucky if he didn't start yelling at me :confused:

That poor kid.

I hope that by now the dad has picked the daughter up. Give your daughter a hug after she leaves. She will need it but this may have been a very important lesson for her- she can't rescue everybody and not everybody is as they seem at first.

I think calling a school guidance counselor is a very good idea. Sounds like this girl needs a lot of help. I think that depending on what else the guidance counselor knows, she may very well call CPS as a mandatory reporter.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Mom AND dd can't save everyone!;). I am so glad you are friends with the GC.

LOLOL I finally caught up on this thread, and right when it all comes out and this huge drama unfolds it immediately turns to a heated discussion on lasagna cheese. You all would make very poor storytellers, what an anticlimactic ending. :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

:iagree: I'm so in the mood for lasagna and I've already done my shopping for this week. :(

Though, my lasagna probably isn't "real" lasagna either. I use other types of pasta because I hate hate hate working with lasagna noodles. They always stick to themselves or tear. Drives me nuts. So I usually use penne.

Add oil to the water so the noodles won't stick.;)

I want a piece of traditional lasagna AND a piece of Clarkacademy's lasagna pizza. :drool:

It's all gone! I ate it for breakfast and lunch yesterday! I am not unflexible in all reality but the two boys with the issues must have cereal for breakfast. They are very very routine. Anything throws them off first thing the whole day is ruined for them. Over the years I have caught on if their days start out just so I can usually be OK with out of the normal later but not first thing in the morning.

Cereal, milk, medicine, teeth, and about 10 minutes of talking is just the way it has to be. I won't let that mess up or the whole day is just terrible. Especially for the little man with autism. After moving to FL it took weeks of misery of him upset the milk carton look different than what was in IN he is that routine.

Add oil to the water so the noodles won't stick.;)

Or don't cook 'em before you put them in the pan, and make sure you have a fairly liquid-y sauce. They'll absorb the excess liquid during baking. No need to use the special "no boil" ones.

Do you'all who use zukes instead of noodles cook them first?

I saw a product advertised in a Trader Joe's flier that had one made with butternut squash.

When I make lasagna, I make it with regular lasagna noodles (not the special flat no boil ones) but I don't cook them. They turn out totally fine! So easy.

I do think you need to cook zucchini first. It doesn't end up getting cooked if it's raw or rawish.

I am still not clear what exactly you are upset about. Your OP seems to show you upset about rules being broken.....but then later you add that the kid is disrespectful and on drugs? I admit I got lost several pages ago.

If you could put all the items that you are upset about in your OP, it would give many of us some clarity as to what exactly is going on.....there are far too many posts here to weed through the entire thread.

If it is just about the rules.....I tend to be more lax when it comes to friends over. It isn't business as usual at that point.

I am still not clear what exactly you are upset about. Your OP seems to show you upset about rules being broken.....but then later you add that the kid is disrespectful and on drugs? I admit I got lost several pages ago.

If you could put all the items that you are upset about in your OP, it would give many of us some clarity as to what exactly is going on.....there are far too many posts here to weed through the entire thread.

If it is just about the rules.....I tend to be more lax when it comes to friends over. It isn't business as usual at that point.

Short story version I was not feeling it at all and I think I harped on little thngs cause I felt something was just not right, turned out the kid was on drugs and was mean to my little kids behind peoples backs my daughter had no clue on the drugs this is something that she has never faced before she has had troubled friends but no druggies have ever tried to be friendly to her before.

I called the guidance counselor of the school and she is going to look into the family because she adores all those kids and I knew she would wanna know. I don't like the rules being broke but under all the circumstances there is no need other than a heart to heart with my kiddo for discipline. But for the record all of my kids friends follow my rules at my home I will always stand by that it is how I was raised and my kids are raised.

I have never had a guest not comfy here and I will make certain things different if it is a need an actual need. No I would never expect a kid to eat what they don't like but no I couldn't feed them differently infront of my special needs kids because that would start a riot! I would take them to the side and tell them when the kids go off after dinner they could make something different.

Or don't cook 'em before you put them in the pan, and make sure you have a fairly liquid-y sauce. They'll absorb the excess liquid during baking. No need to use the special "no boil" ones.

Do you'all who use zukes instead of noodles cook them first?

I've not before, some recipes do and some don't. It is good to slice thinly and salt and let them sit for an hour or so before cooking. I'll make a pretty thick sauce. Depending on how it looks I might broil them a few minutes on a cookie sheet. I'll be slicing them thin and long like regular noodles.

The problem has been resolved now we are onto recipes :)

It just took me over an hour to read this whole thread. I feel so bad for that girl. :(

On a lighter note, tonight I made lasagna and didn't realize until I already had my sauce simmering that I was OUT of BOTH cottage cheese and ricotta. So, I started searching the internet only to find that in a good chunk of Italy, they use bechamel instead of those. I tried it and OH.MY.WORD it was so good! I may never go back to cottage/ricotta cheese!

When I'm feeling the groove (and maybe have some Dino playing) I'll make a bechamel and coat the top with that. If you make your own macaroni sheets, you just fold them over the top and it gets SO crispy and creamy. But I still put the ricotta in because it's so good.

I've not before, some recipes do and some don't. It is good to slice thinly and salt and let them sit for an hour or so before cooking. I'll make a pretty thick sauce. Depending on how it looks I might broil them a few minutes on a cookie sheet. I'll be slicing them thin and long like regular noodles.

I'm low carb now and I'm so going to try it your way. that sounds delish.

Thanks!!!

When I'm feeling the groove (and maybe have some Dino playing) I'll make a bechamel and coat the top with that. If you make your own macaroni sheets, you just fold them over the top and it gets SO crispy and creamy. But I still put the ricotta in because it's so good.

I'm low carb now and I'm so going to try it your way. that sounds delish.

I remember the first time I made lasagna with ricotta vs cottage cheese I couldn't believe the yumminess. Both dh and I thought lasagna was nasty before as we'd only had the cottage cheese variety. I don't think my crew can handle it though and the cashew/pinenut version is actually pretty tasty. I was just reading a recipe by Giada whatever her name and she made a bechamel and then added the tomato sauce to it. I might do that as well if I'm feeling adventorous but I'll be making it w/ cashew milk and almond flour.

I've got both beef and pork thawed out and am going to make it into some sweet italian sausage for the lasagna, I've been craving lasagna for awhile and I can hardly wait!

When I was a little girl I brought home a stray puppy. My mom didn't let me keep it. I was very upset and couldn't understand my mom not wanting to care for a stray puppy.

I just wanted to derail this thread even more so some innocent person could read the beginning, then the end of this thread and become even more confused.:D

No, it's actually the pretty standard method of making lasagna. I don't have an Italian cell in my body but I've always made lasagna with ricotta and I've never ever seen it without ricotta or cottage cheese.

astrid

Well, my MIL moved here from Italy and made the most F'd up lasagna ever.

When I first tried it I was like, "What is this!?" At some point I asked her what the white stuff was she put between the layers, as it obviously wasn't ricotta or cottage cheese... she said something about it being a flour and water paste. WHAT???!!!!

Only I could marry into an authentic, off the boat, Italian family where the mom could not cook and hated music (especially opera).

The running joke in their village before they got married was that my FIL was going to starve. She was that bad a cook!

When I was a little girl I brought home a stray puppy. My mom didn't let me keep it. I was very upset and couldn't understand my mom not wanting to care for a stray puppy.

I just wanted to derail this thread even more so some innocent person could read the beginning, then the end of this thread and become even more confused.:D

My sister makes homemade dog food for her dogs and puppies. I'm pretty sure she puts cottage cheese in some of the recipes. Do puppies like cottage cheese? Is it good for them?

My sister makes homemade dog food for her dogs and puppies. I'm pretty sure she puts cottage cheese in some of the recipes. Do puppies like cottage cheese? Is it good for them?

I'm not sure if they like cottage cheese but they LOVE yogurt. Plain, whole milk yogurt.

I wonder if dogs can have a favorite color?

When I first tried it I was like, "What is this!?" At some point I asked her what the white stuff was she put between the layers, as it obviously wasn't ricotta or cottage cheese... she said something about it being a flour and water paste. WHAT???!!!!

That's bechamel, and it's how they make it in Italy. What you're used to is a very Americanized version. There are some places in Italy where they only use the behcamel and no tomato sauce.

That's bechamel, and it's how they make it in Italy. What you're used to is a very Americanized version. There are some places in Italy where they only use the behcamel and no tomato sauce.

Well, that might be true, but she just made a paste with flour and water, no cooking, no other ingredients. Just blobbed it on there. It was pretty disgusting. I watched her do it.

I'm not sure if they like cottage cheese but they LOVE yogurt. Plain, whole milk yogurt.

I wonder if dogs can have a favorite color?

My dog's favorite color is hot pink. She's a black lab with very pink gums. She has a hot pink collar, hot pink pillow, and a hot pink winter sweater.

She also likes lasagna, but has no preference on which cheese.

On a side note, if you use Italian sausage instead of ground beef, it adds a zesty flavor.

I love that you were out of ricotta and cottage, but happened to have on hand this random cheese I have never heard of! :)

I use the above cheese in my lazagna, also, FTR. Might look into bechamel now...

Bechamel is actually a white sauce, not a cheese as another poster said. :) The recipe I used was butter, flour, milk, and a little bit of chicken broth with some thyme.

Well, I don't know much about cheese, but I knew OP's bad vibe was coming from somewhere.

OP sounds like my beloved sister. Whenever she starts going off on little things (like putting the toilet seat down etc.), I listen for a bit and then say, "so what is really bothering you?" It's always something deeper that is truly important, and the "little irritations" are just symptoms.

As sad as this girl's situation is, I don't feel it's the OP's responsibility to parent (or friend) her out of it. OP has to put her children first. This chick isn't healthy for the OP's home environment. However, I agree that this overnight was a good learning experience for all involved. Including the houseguest. She observed (possibly for the first time) that there are people who can and will resist social pressure to do the right thing. She called it "goody-goody," but the truth is, she probably admires that and might even act on it eventually.

When I was 14, I was a goody-goody with a troubled 15yo friend. My mom didn't ban the friend (that I recall), but she made it clear she didn't like her. I thought maybe if I was friendly to her, I could convince her to respect herself and clean up. She ended up running away from home (and her mom assumed I had something to do with it - but I had no idea). I couldn't fix her, but I didn't regret giving it a try. She didn't "corrupt" me or any of that. Then again, I'm a very stubborn person.

:iagree:with the bolded.

Okay maybe kilts are hot after all. Ahem.

Anyway, back to the cottage cheese and dogs (LOL) it actually is good for dogs, when my dog was having digestive issues the vet recommended cottage cheese and scrambled eggs because they are so easy to digest.

Okay, now that it's all over, here's my two cents' worth.

Your house rules are not the same as mine, but that's not really what the problem is here. I think the problem is that you've been "spoiled" by good situations with your daughter's other friends and it caused you not to have a plan of action. If it were me, the get-together would have been over (or at least on hold) the second I found out that I had not had any actual contact with, nor had actionable contact information for, any of the adults who are legally responsible for this child. That would be a deal-breaker for me with a teenager I'd never met before.

I always hated it as a teen and twenty-something guest to be scolded for breaking house rules that I had no idea existed before breaking them. The cereal and the door locking--in and of itself--is kid stuff. If you think your daughter should have behaved differently about the cereal, you could make her do extra chores or something to "replace" it (in light of the other things that happened, I would not do that at this point). For the locked door, I would have just reminded my own child about the rule and left it at that.

If you have any "house rules" that your kids are having trouble following when friends are over, you should remind them about that before the friend arrives. If you have any "house rules" that might not be obvious to everyone on the planet and it's the first time a guest is over, it's a good idea to let it be known at the outset, even if it feels a little formal.

You asked if you were overreacting. I would say yes and no. If it were really about the cereal and the door and a kid not acting exactly like your favorite kids act, then yes, you were overreacting. HOWEVER, everything you mentioned, in concert, would have raised enough red flags for me to be concerned about the situation. Sometimes our baloney-meter kicks in, but we have a hard time articulating exactly what feels off and we get bogged down in the least-relevant details. And I think that is what happened with "THE CASE OF THE MUNCHED-ON CEREAL."

It is not the guest's fault. If you are angry at the guest then you are overreacting.

:iagree: The guest couldn't have known the house rules if neither you nor your daughter explained them. If there were foods that were off-limits, you should have explained or asked your dd to explain. BUT I also think it would still be very hard for a 15yo to speak up and tell her guest that she couldn't eat the cereal because the budget is tight. That would be embarrassing for your dd. Put yourself in her place. What if YOU had a guest over for a visit and really couldn't afford to offer her a snack because all the food in the house is budgeted? Would you let her have a few cookies (or whatever) and say nothing because it would be embarrassing, or would you explain that it's not in the budget so she can't have any?

Hah, that's usually me, but this time I actually read the entire thing page by page. Obviously, I'm avoiding what I need to be doing right now. Any other threads that are this long and eventful that I could waste some time on?

Really, it's usually pretty fun to just read the first and last page of long threads since so many take off in unexpected directions (except for the kilt thing, which is pretty much the go-to derailment -- I always expect a kilt in an opinionated thread). It could be a WTM Forum trivia game: "Match the beginning of these threads to their final pages." Or "Match the kilt picture with the subject of the thread in which is was posted."

My dog's favorite color is hot pink. She's a black lab with very pink gums. She has a hot pink collar, hot pink pillow, and a hot pink winter sweater.

She also likes lasagna, but has no preference on which cheese.

On a side note, if you use Italian sausage instead of ground beef, it adds a zesty flavor.

I always do a mixture of ground beef and sausage.

When I was on bed rest during my first pregnancy, a friend of mine from grad school brought us lasagne every other week for three months. She went on to become a shuttle astronaut and lived on the space station for 6 months. I don't think she cooked lasagne there...

:iagree: The guest couldn't have known the house rules if neither you nor your daughter explained them. If there were foods that were off-limits, you should have explained or asked your dd to explain. BUT I also think it would still be very hard for a 15yo to speak up and tell her guest that she couldn't eat the cereal because the budget is tight. That would be embarrassing for your dd. Put yourself in her place. What if YOU had a guest over for a visit and really couldn't afford to offer her a snack because all the food in the house is budgeted? Would you let her have a few cookies (or whatever) and say nothing because it would be embarrassing, or would you explain that it's not in the budget so she can't have any?

OK one more time we had popcorn we had apples and oranges cheese crackers lunchmeat There were snacks here why everyone is not seeing I have posted that I don't know there were tons of other stuff plus leftovers.

Haven't read all of the responses.

My family is poverty level and I get being stressed about money. That said, yes, you are totally over reacting. HUG.

Take a deep breath and think about how you can make your home inviting yet keep things that are important to your family remain...like door locking.

OK one more time we had popcorn we had apples and oranges cheese crackers lunchmeat There were snacks here why everyone is not seeing I have posted that I don't know there were tons of other stuff plus leftovers.

Well because some people use cereal for a snack. I know if we want snacks, we eat whatever, there isn't a special category we reserve only for snacks. Cereal is quite a commonly used as one. But you've explained that wasn't really the issue, I just wanted to point out that others may not view cereal the way you do.