Menu

*sigh* My dd tells me every day she doesn't want to learn to read.

mlbuchina

I have been trying for two years now to teach my dd7 to read. Most of the time it begins with tears. I guided my dd9 in learning to read, as she pretty much taught herself. I truly was along for the ride on that, and used OPGTR to make sure she got all the phonics.

This is not the case for my dd7. She is struggling, and I don't know what to do. I have tried using a couple of the free programs recommended to me from others who have graciously given me their thoughts on this matter, but she ends up crying with those, too.

I don't know what I am doing wrong! She just hates it. Actually, she says she hates school, and wishes it didn't exist. She just wants to play all day or watch tv or play on her ds. I strictly monitor all electronics, and don't let them be on those all day. Those are treats for the evening and when all school work is done. She doesn't care, she will play with her fingers if that is all she is left with. I know because she has.

I have looked at something like AAR, as we use AAS, and she does well with that format. What other programs are out there that is phonics based and not like OPGTR? I know she would not do well with 100 Easy Lessons, as I have checked it out from the library.

Help?:001_unsure:

Have you looked at Happy Phonics? DS7 loved using the games for his reading lessons. I also wrote phonograms on post-it notes with a thick marker. I put the post-its on the wall on one side of the room, then stood with ds on the other side of the room and told him to "go make the word "dog"" and he would run across, choose the letter, then run back to the other wall and build the word there. Making it a game with lots of physical activity helped. I would only put up enough post-its for maybe 4 words at a time so he wasn't overwhelmed trying to find the right ones.

We've had great success using a combination of Hooked on Phonics, Explode the Code and readers like Bob and Nora Gaydos.

I forgot about Explode the Code. I actually have book 1 that we tried using about a year and a half ago. She was just beginning to learn to write, so it was a bit much for her. We stopped half way through, but I could get it out again and see how she does with it. It would be great review practice! Thank you.

Unschooler here. :D

I say put everything away that looks like phonics instruction. Just don't even talk about it. Do other stuff with her that doesn't require her to read, and read good books aloud to her, just because you love reading to her. Have good books readily available for her to pick up on her own, but don't comment on them, or whether she does or not. Just live life.

You don't have to do this forever. Just for awhile.

My younger dd was very resistant to my teaching her anything. :glare: She was 9Ă‚Â½ before she was reading at her age level. However, she began attending classes at the community college when she was 14, and was invited to be the valedictorian when she graduated (which she declined, because there was way too politics going on). The moral of the story is that putting things on the backburner for awhile doesn't mean you won't have educated children. :)

Have you looked at Happy Phonics? DS7 loved using the games for his reading lessons. I also wrote phonograms on post-it notes with a thick marker. I put the post-its on the wall on one side of the room, then stood with ds on the other side of the room and told him to "go make the word "dog"" and he would run across, choose the letter, then run back to the other wall and build the word there. Making it a game with lots of physical activity helped. I would only put up enough post-its for maybe 4 words at a time so he wasn't overwhelmed trying to find the right ones.

I have not looked at Happy Phonics, that I can remember. I will check that out. I think she would like the games a lot. Thank you!

She actually can read some. She just gets very frustrated with herself because she has to sound out everything. She told me today that she didn't want to read because she has to sound everything out. She doesn't want to have to stop, she just wants to know the words already. She ends up not knowing what it was she read because of the frequent stopping and sounding out. If I have her go back to the beginning of the sentence to read it again, she gets very upset, but I know she has no clue what it was she just read context wise. Her older sister reads very well, and she keeps comparing herself to her. Her older sister is so sweet. She keeps telling dd7 that even she has to sound out words sometimes. I told her that even I have to sound out words sometimes. There just seems to be no encouraging her.

I say put everything away that looks like phonics instruction. Just don't even talk about it. Do other stuff with her that doesn't require her to read, and read good books aloud to her, just because you love reading to her. Have good books readily available for her to pick up on her own, but don't comment on them, or whether she does or not. Just live life.

My younger dd was very resistant to my teaching her anything. :glare: She was 9Ă‚Â½ before she was reading at her age level. However, she began attending classes at the community college when she was 14, and was invited to be the valedictorian when she graduated (which she declined, because there was way too politics going on). The moral of the story is that putting things on the backburner for awhile doesn't mean you won't have educated children. :)

Thank you, Ellie, for your thoughts (I wish I could unschool, but it scares me! LOL). Yes, I have done this before, too. Do you remember any of the good books that were especially pleasing to your dd? That is one good thing I have going for me; she loves to be read to.

Also, the Letter Factory videos have been great.

Yes, we love Letter Factory around here. Watching those helped her learn her letter sounds.

You know, one of the biggest problems I see with her right now is the fact that she just can't seem to get silent e. She will sound every word out with a silent e in it with the short vowel sound first. Even if I tell her before hand to watch for the silent e. She can tell you all day long what silent e's job is for vowels, the letter c, and the letter g, but she won't do them when she is trying to sound out words.

One thing that helped my dd was making up "Go Fish" cards for the words we were working on. I wrote them twice on index cards and cut them in half. Then we played "Go Fish" in the usual manner, but I didn't let her see my cards, and I made her read all of hers to ask questions. It helped get us over a hurdle. My dd was younger than yours when we did that but 7 year olds still like Go Fish I think :)

Great idea! Thank you.

At our house, we had the same thing...ds6 just didn't.want.to.read. Math and whatnot were fine, don't know why. Come to find out that he was +4.00 in each eye when I took him for an eye exam. He couldn't see well enough to learn to read. The day he got his glasses was pivotal.

Maybe check the "eye exam" box just in case if you haven't already.

Otherwise I second what has been said about backing off.

HTH

Michele

Not an unschooler here. :D

I totally agree with this. One curricula that might really work for you is The Struggling Reader. This teaches phonics and sight words casually through game play. The games are really fun. Their website is down right now...not sure what is up with that. Read Ruth Beechick's books. They will help you be calm about it. I would say that taking a break might be just what she needs. Get some interesting level 2 or 3 readers and just let her read them when she wants to.

You know, one of the biggest problems I see with her right now is the fact that she just can't seem to get silent e. She will sound every word out with a silent e in it with the short vowel sound first. Even if I tell her before hand to watch for the silent e. She can tell you all day long what silent e's job is for vowels, the letter c, and the letter g, but she won't do them when she is trying to sound out words.

That's just going to take lots of practice. She spent all this time learning these sounds and the blends to have it all blown away with one stinking letter. :glare:

I love this video from the Electric Company. Silent E really is a ninja. It sneaks into a word and FORCES the vowel before it to say it's name. I believe ETC 3 does a lot of work with Silent E.

OK, I'm going to ask you a question .... how well do YOU know your phonics? I'm not sure how I ever read anything, b/c I didn't know 90% of the rules until I taught dd10 to read when she was 6. I learned right along with her. It has made teaching dd7 so much easier b/c I finally understand WHY a word sounds the way it does. That might be something to think about.

She might also need some "wins" to build her confidence. Be super excited when she reads something...anything.

Read Overcoming Dyslexia and see if it resonates with you. If so, post your questions on the Special Needs board. Those folks over there are the reason that my 16yo can read (and he can read well even!).

I have thought about her having dyslexia before. I will check out that book. Thanks

At our house, we had the same thing...ds6 just didn't.want.to.read. Math and whatnot were fine, don't know why. Come to find out that he was +4.00 in each eye when I took him for an eye exam. He couldn't see well enough to learn to read. The day he got his glasses was pivotal.

Maybe check the "eye exam" box just in case if you haven't already.

Otherwise I second what has been said about backing off.

HTH

Michele

Yeah, I thought about her not being able to see well, also. I had both the girls' eyes checked and the doctor told me dd7 was spot on for her development, but that dd9 was further along than she should be and would probably need glasses when she is older. :001_huh:

We probably do need to back off, but it is just so hard for me.

I totally agree with this. One curricula that might really work for you is The Struggling Reader. This teaches phonics and sight words casually through game play. The games are really fun. Their website is down right now...not sure what is up with that. Read Ruth Beechick's books. They will help you be calm about it. I would say that taking a break might be just what she needs. Get some interesting level 2 or 3 readers and just let her read them when she wants to.

I will keep checking the website to see what The Struggling Reader is all about. Thanks for the link. I keep hearing about Ruth Beechick. I need to start reading her stuff.

We do get books in the level 2 and 3 range, but they are really too hard for her. She still wants the books with only about five words on the page that are in super huge font. LOL She tells me she can't read little words, only big ones. I can remember when dd9 did that. It's so cute.

One of my boys had a tremendous struggle with reading until we got the I See Sam books. I highly recommend the book series. Really fun and teaches reading step by step without being dry and boring.

In fact, it was such a wonderful thing that I carefully packaged them up "for my grandchildren." :lol:

Alley

I love this video from the Electric Company. Silent E really is a ninja. It sneaks into a word and FORCES the vowel before it to say it's name.

I didn't even click the link, and now I know I will be singing this all night long! :tongue_smilie:

If she's doing well with AAS, and enjoying it, have you tried the readers that go along with the levels? Maybe after you take a break, if that's the route you choose, the readers might be a good bet.

My 8 yo was similar - and the AAS readers have been a big help.

ETA: We also had some Scooby Doo phonics readers which were very motivating - my kiddo is a Scooby boy. For a while, we just backed off of everything, and he read one Scooby Doo reader per day. Short and sweet. It wasn't great literature, but I didn't care at that point.

Edited by Spryte

Is outsourcing it a possibility?

We were at the point that both DD & I were absolutely miserable with it. She was convinced she was too dumb to learn to read. I was convinced I was too dumb to teach it.

We have been going to a reading tutor who specializes in teaching kids with dyslexia for 6 weeks now, and she has taken off! We'll probably use the tutor the rest of the summer, then I'll take back over now that we are over the hurdle. (We don't know yet whether my DD has dyslexia, but the methods used to teach dyslexics are fine for all kids.)

Edited by MeganW

Those cards you make for playing go fish (also very popular here) can be used to play Memory as well (turn them all upside down and take turns turning over two cards. You have to read each word as you turn it over.) We also use cards like that to play Bingo. Set up a bingo board with words on it that you're working on, and turn over the cards one at a time. Either you can read the word and she has to recognize it on her bingo board, or she has to read the card that's turned over, then try to find the match.

We're using Rocket Phonics which incorporates a LOT of those kind of games.

Another idea from RP is to do a treasure hunt. Write clues with words she knows or is working on (under the couch, on top of the shelf, etc). One clue leads to the next, etc, until the last clue leads to a small prize of some sort.

Maybe drop formal phonics for now and focus on games for awhile? It sounds like she's pretty frustrated.

Have you tried using one of the O-G methods where they actual learn to spell first and then *aha* they realize they can decode too! Might be worth a try. I wouldn't push it, at least not for another year or two, too much because you don't want to sour her on it.

One other thought, have you had her assessed for vision problems or dyslexia?

We probably do need to back off, but it is just so hard for me.

I think it's worth it to try. I find it hard too sometimes. But when you say you've been working on this for two years and she has this huge emotional reaction, I think it's time to stop and really change gears.

Thank you, Ellie, for your thoughts (I wish I could unschool, but it scares me! LOL). Yes, I have done this before, too. Do you remember any of the good books that were especially pleasing to your dd? That is one good thing I have going for me; she loves to be read to.

Oh, it isn't that scarey. :D

I just started with the children's books I remembered from my childhood, and those I found by reading the titles on the books at the library, and books from "Honey for a Child's Heart." It isn't that hard, really. :)

After you have STOPPED WORKING WITH HER for several months :D you might try Spalding. Actually, you'd be reading through the manual (WRTR) while giving her a break.

And she really needs a break, girl friend. Don't think of it as unschooling; just think of it as a vacation. Until, oh, October. Or November. :D

That's just going to take lots of practice. She spent all this time learning these sounds and the blends to have it all blown away with one stinking letter. :glare:

I love this video from the Electric Company. Silent E really is a ninja. It sneaks into a word and FORCES the vowel before it to say it's name. I believe ETC 3 does a lot of work with Silent E.

OK, I'm going to ask you a question .... how well do YOU know your phonics? I'm not sure how I ever read anything, b/c I didn't know 90% of the rules until I taught dd10 to read when she was 6. I learned right along with her. It has made teaching dd7 so much easier b/c I finally understand WHY a word sounds the way it does. That might be something to think about.

She might also need some "wins" to build her confidence. Be super excited when she reads something...anything.

That's a great video. She loves music, so I think she will really enjoy that.

I learned to read early, but I don't remember how I learned to read. When I was teaching dd9 to read using OPGTR, I knew all the rules, so I either learned by straight phonics, or just picked it up along the way. I have always been an avid reader, to the point that I will read the backs of shampoo bottles in the bath for lack of anything else to read. They need to develop plastic books for adults to use in the bath. LOL

One of my boys had a tremendous struggle with reading until we got the I See Sam books. I highly recommend the book series. Really fun and teaches reading step by step without being dry and boring.

In fact, it was such a wonderful thing that I carefully packaged them up "for my grandchildren." :lol:

Alley

Yes, we have some of those, and she really loved reading them. I need to get her some more of those. She was so proud of herself when she read them.

Is outsourcing it a possibility?

We were at the point that both DD & I were absolutely miserable with it. She was convinced she was too dumb to learn to read. I was convinced I was too dumb to teach it.

We have been going to a reading tutor who specializes in teaching kids with dyslexia for 6 weeks now, and she has taken off! We'll probably use the tutor the rest of the summer, then I'll take back over now that we are over the hurdle. (We don't know yet whether my DD has dyslexia, but the methods used to teach dyslexics are fine for all kids.)

I have been thinking about this for a little while now. I'm just not sure how to find someone. Is it really expensive?

Those cards you make for playing go fish (also very popular here) can be used to play Memory as well (turn them all upside down and take turns turning over two cards. You have to read each word as you turn it over.) We also use cards like that to play Bingo. Set up a bingo board with words on it that you're working on, and turn over the cards one at a time. Either you can read the word and she has to recognize it on her bingo board, or she has to read the card that's turned over, then try to find the match.

We're using Rocket Phonics which incorporates a LOT of those kind of games.

Another idea from RP is to do a treasure hunt. Write clues with words she knows or is working on (under the couch, on top of the shelf, etc). One clue leads to the next, etc, until the last clue leads to a small prize of some sort.

Maybe drop formal phonics for now and focus on games for awhile? It sounds like she's pretty frustrated.

These are great ideas! Thank you for sharing them.

I have been thinking about this for a little while now. I'm just not sure how to find someone. Is it really expensive?

It is expensive, but worth every penny! Her normal rate is $35 per hour. I have contracted with her for 1.5 hours for $50, and she works with all 4 kids in turns in that time, so each kid is getting 20-25 minutes. That's the perfect amount of time - much more and they get bored/tired. She is using Academic Associates materials, but her background is a special ed teacher.

ETA: the materials say 30-60 hours total to get all the way through the program.

Try the book How to teach a Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. I taught my middle son with that book and he stayed at the top of the class for reading. You will have to teach the phonics rules later but who cares as long as they are reading:) It only takes about 10 minutes a day and you need nothing but the book. Hope this helps!

Whenever my daughter is learning something where she has to see the group, instead of the single letter (consonant digraphs, silent e, most suffixes) I have her circle the sound she is struggling with. I prompt her that the next word has something different about it, have her try to find it, and coach her towards the correct answer. The physical act of circling the sound stopped her from constantly trying to sound out "sh", for example. Sometimes I think the eye is a little slow at seeing what the brain already knows, and that can be frustrating. It is slow, painstaking work most of the time. We top out at 10 minutes of reading. She doesn't like reading, but we do a little about three times a week. It's just like brushing teeth and eating broccoli. It's part of being a healthy person. I don't push her, or get emotional about the process, just calm and matter of fact. One day the slow and steady work will click, and she will take off. It doesn't sound like a curriculum issue for your daughter, but a frustration and confidence issue. Backing off for a time seems like a good idea so she can cool off and loose some of that mentality. Then start with one word and day, and build up to an appropriate age level from there. Just be patient, and allow yourselves plenty of time to go at her pace. :grouphug:

Was her vision evaluated by a pediatrician or an optometrist? My DD consistently passed vision exam in her yearly physical but at her vision check at age 5, we discovered she needed glasses for reading. Her vision has continued to change quite a bit since then. Glasses had a significant impact for her. Good luck!

One other thought, have you had her assessed for vision problems or dyslexia?

Was her vision evaluated by a pediatrician or an optometrist?

I agree - be sure to rule out vision issues. I'd see a developmental optometrist (www.covd.org) who will also look at how the eyes are working together. The possibility of dyslexia would be something else to consider.

Think I found it... it is dot net at the end.

The Struggling Reader

Is this the right site?

:grouphug:

You can play my free game for a break for a bit while you figure out what to do. It is a fun and easy way to get in phonics practice.

You can also work from the white board for a while to mix things up. And, sometimes let her pick. For example, "Do you want to spell 5 words or read 20 words?" (Spelling 5 will have the same or more benefit as reading 20. The spelling can be oral or with magnetic letters if writing is difficult.)

Here is a thread with ideas about silent e, it is a common problem, it takes some children a while to get it:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=73087

My DD is 6 and very visual/spatial. DD really enjoys reading this reader Bible. It has a simple "to-with-by" format (you read it to them, then with them, then they read it to you). It builds her fluency and confidence. Stories are short, words get familiar, and it's Bible too! :)

It isn't a phonics approach, but from what you are saying, your DD has met the phonics rules already. She can work on fluency and recognizing words, and go back to phonics rules again when she has some fluency, if you are comfortable with that.

HTH

Edited by Tjej

As far as phonics instruction I like Phonics Pathways and Reading Pathways. It really seems like both of you guys need a little break. You could stop all instruction but have her play phonics and reading games. My kids liked Reading Eggs as well as Starfall, they are fun but at the same time they are still learning.

She will get it eventually though.

I've been where you are at. My youngest dd told me in K that she didn't need to learn to read. We struggled for years using a couple of approaches and all of them appealing to all of her senses.

Last year when she hit 4th grade and still struggled with sounding out words in beginning readers, I gave up. She taught herself to read or everything clicked and she did it on her own. She mainly reads comic books but they have a lot of big scientific words in them. She reads mainly old X-Men and Spiderman but she reads all the time.

Things I did do:

Spell Write and Read phonograms were our focus.

I did introduce sight words and we used them as flashcards but I also marked phonograms on them.

We made notebooking pages for the phonograms including words that had them in them.

When we tried to read and came to a word she needed to sound out, I wrote it out letter by letter on another piece of paper marking the phonograms as she sounded it out. This really helped a lot and was probably the best thing I ever did and still do.

We tried rhyming words to get things down. We tried the Hooked on Phonics books but she didn't get the whole rhyming words thing.

I let her check out whatever she wanted to look at/read at the library. She drug home every book on cats, owls and snakes. She brought home drawing books, books about ancient Egypt. Taught herself the Egyptian basic alphabet and how to translate words (crazy, I know!) and tons of horse books and finally the comic books.

Garfield and classic X-Men were what really made things click for her.

Good luck. There were many days I just felt like :banghead: But we got through it.:001_smile:

You might try some Montessori object boxes and the Command Game.

Also, if you just want her to practice, you might try leaving her a note every morning or writing your own little books for her to read.

I'd just back off the rules and read to her, and give her reasons to read, like finding out the answer to a joke or reading a love note from you.

Can you keep a mom-daughter journal? Write her a special, very simple note in it in the am, leave it on her pillow, and she can write back to you the next day or night, and leave it on your pillow.

My daughter had great struggles (still is) too.

Explode the Code - She had no retention with and her handwriting wasn't upto par with doing that amount of writing (although you could do it orally)

I love leapfrog videos. All my kids know there letter sounds due to this.

All About Spelling seemed to help. I think it was the mixture of the flashcards + tiles, she has actually started to read 3 letter words (never thought I would be so happy to tears :tongue_smilie: ) We're having to stop it now, even though I love the program, because I am having major frustrations with pronunciation (multi-cultural aussie household, combined with American program = not so good, lol)

So I will probably make up a few flash cards a week, and either get something like "Sound Literacy" for ipad (ipad app of aas tiles) or something similar.

Also, just write up some flashcards with age-appropriate sight words on it (look at dolch's list) and drill her on them several times a day, that way she already will "know" some words.

Bob Books are great little things.

Something I love (found out about it here the other day) is the Reading Raven App (available for both iphone & ipad) its sort of similar to reading eggs (but less sidetracking) my daughter loves it. Each level/lesson is quite long, and my daughter happily sat doing repetitive work on it throughout that time (she usually hate repetitive stuff, I think its just the fact that she has an app of her own? I'll take advantage of her happiness anyway :lol: )

:grouphug: Great big hugs

I agree with backing off. Don't think of it as unschooling. Think of it as schooling on the stealth.:coolgleamA:

Happy Phonics is a good way to come at teaching for the burned-out kid.

If she knows that silent e makes the vowel say its name, but isn't applying that bit of knowledge, I'd recommend something that forces her to connect the pattern into decoding. Dancing Bears is a good resource for that. (Another plus for Dancing Bears is that it's 10min lessons - everyday. She may hate it, but she can endure 10min...esp if she earns a small candy for each line she attempts...and mommy reads any book she wants when she's finished.)

I agree with backing off. Don't think of it as unschooling. Think of it as schooling on the stealth.:coolgleamA:

Happy Phonics is a good way to come at teaching for the burned-out kid.

If she knows that silent e makes the vowel say its name, but isn't applying that bit of knowledge, I'd recommend something that forces her to connect the pattern into decoding. Dancing Bears is a good resource for that. (Another plus for Dancing Bears is that it's 10min lessons - everyday. She may hate it, but she can endure 10min...esp if she earns a small candy for each line she attempts...and mommy reads any book she wants when she's finished.)

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: I'm using Dancing Bears as well for a reluctant reader.

:iagree:

Really, really hard to do this, but I would. Set a date (in your head or on your calendar - you don't have to tell her) when you will pick it back up, but give her a break. You have some really good advice for when you pick things back up.

Games are awesome.

My dd#2 struggled with reading. She just turned 9 & isn't at "grade level" yet, but she no longer hates reading. (For the record, I backed off on "reading," but kept up the "spelling" work. Once she learned the word via spelling, we "read" it over & over again w/flashcards & in simple sentences she or I made up.)

Good luck!

I'd seriously take a look at dyslexia.

As far as phonics instruction I had a lot more success with Word Mastery by Florence Akin and Webster's Speller than anything else. I also had a set of phonogram cards from Abeka, and made a few of my own for drill. I found I had the most cooperation when my youngest (my math kid who has no use for the written word!) knew what to expect. When it was time, we worked on Phonics for a set amount of time, and then we we were done.

The other thing I did which helped was to show him that there was a "need to read." Honestly, he saw no reason on earth for it. He doesn't care to watch television--he'd rather be out building something. He doesn't like audiobooks, except--well, he can build something while his brother listens.

He doesn't like to be read too--you guessed it.

In his case I had to really focus on the information books. He did much better with free reading when I made sure that the books he had available were science related on subjects he had a passion for. At first he would only look at the pictures. So I made sure that every information book I got him was not a "kid's book" and had high quality pictures. That would tend to interest him into asking me what the picture showed. Then we would work through the text together. Just on what he wanted to know more about.

So one thing you could do to encourage your daughter to think of reading as a worthwhile enterprise would be to find something she has an interest in and start providing her books that are of interest to her, even if all she does at first is look.