Menu

Ballet Moms

Forgive my nosy money questions, but I figure this is an anonymous forum, so here we go:

How much do you pay for your DC's ballet lessons? How long are the lessons? How many lessons per week?

Is there an annual registration fee or something similar? How much is it?

Who teaches the early levels (say about 10 yo and younger) - older students or a trained adult?

What do you pay for costumes (or costume fees)? Do you keep the costumes?

How much do you pay for your DC's ballet lessons?

About $24 per month. I pay $74 per month for ballet, tap and jazz.

How long are the lessons?

Ballet is 60 minutes per week, tap and jazz 50 minutes.

How many lessons per week?

One each right now. The teacher is trying to get a technical ballet class together if she can make time.

Yes, I don't remember. Not much.

Who teaches the early levels (say about 10 yo and younger) - older students or a trained adult?

Dd has had both.

Roughly $30 per class. But it could be more. I've spent $120 for 3 costumes. Yes, if I pay for them I get to keep them. Rentals are free but go back to the school.

Hi! My DD has been dancing for 3 years(She's 6 years old). We pay $25 yearly registration. Her first class is $145/semester, second class is half off- so $72.50. So, it's $242.50 for the first semester and $217.50 the second semester. Her 2 costumes were $40 each and we get to keep them. She took her first year with a Student Teacher (and LOVED her), 2nd year she took with a main instructor, this year she had 2 classes, one with THE program director (awesome) and one with another main teacher.

DD7 takes through a community arts program, so it's partially subsidized. We pay $110/month for 3 hours a week of classes (Ballet, Jazz, and Tap). No extra recital fees, because the city provides space in a local high school for performances. Costumes are about $50/class (sometimes less-she's had several costumes which have been "X colored leotard with accessories" that we've only had to buy accessories). All of her classes have been taught by professional faculty (IE, past college age), although she's only now, in her 4th year, moving to the teachers that do the older, more "serious" students. There are teenagers/older students who assist, and I believe the program director's 17 yr old daughter is teaching Acro this summer (which my daughter doesn't take since she also does gymnastics).

Forgive my nosy money questions, but I figure this is an anonymous forum, so here we go:

My dd is 8, has been taking dance of some kind for 5 years, and is at the beginning intermediate level.

How much do you pay for your DC's ballet lessons? How long are the lessons? How many lessons per week? $145 a month for 5 hours of classes per week. Classes are one hour long each. Summer intensive is longer and more expensive.

Is there an annual registration fee or something similar? How much is it? Registration is $50 a year. But continuing students are usually offered a discount or reduced registration if they register by early spring for fall.

Who teaches the early levels (say about 10 yo and younger) - older students or a trained adult? Ours is taught by a Russian former prima ballerina with over a decade of teaching experience. But previously, we had been taught by company members at our pre-pro school. Other studios often have younger teachers until the intermediate level.

What do you pay for costumes (or costume fees)? Do you keep the costumes? $50-$75 in performance fees that do not include keeping the costumes.

My studio is not currently a pre-professional school, but she has hopes of it becoming one. It is a new studio that was opened by an experienced teacher at a studio that closed.

Hope that helps or at least answers your questions. :)

How much do you pay for your DC's ballet lessons? We pay about $42 per class per month

How long are the lessons? 1 hour and 15 minutes

How many lessons per week? 2

Is there an annual registration fee or something similar? yes

How much is it? $15.00

Who teaches the early levels (say about 10 yo and younger) - older students or a trained adult? A trained adult teaches the class while a student or two are used as demonstrators.

What do you pay for costumes (or costume fees)? $80 for recital. $5 rental fee per costume for the Christmas program that they perform each year.

Do you keep the costumes? Recital costumes we keep. The rentals are of course returned after the performance to be cleaned for the next year.

We love our studio--very neat and clean and the teachers are fabulous. My answers are above in the quote.

$45 per month, per class with discounts for multiple classes/students

1 hour

Is there an annual registration fee or something similar? Yes How much is it? $15 or $20, I can't remember.

Who teaches the early levels (say about 10 yo and younger) - older students or a trained adult? Trained adults teach all of the classes, but older students are assistants.

What do you pay for costumes (or costume fees)?

Costumes are usually $60-$65 per class.

Do you keep the costumes?

Yes.

My responses are in red above.

$40 for the first class (ballet), $20 for each additional class (jazz, hip hop, tap, etc.)

for K it was 45 minutes for ballet and 30 minutes for tap

for 1st & 2nd it was 1 hr for ballet and 30 minutes for jazz

One lesson per week - back to back so dance lasts 1.5 hours for us right now

$25 the first year, nothing after that

trained adult who is studio owner but she also has a high school student there as an assistant for the PreK and K classes

Usually about $40 to $50 per class. Yes we keep them.

How much do you pay for your DC's ballet lessons? How long are the lessons? How many lessons per week?

my son will be taking 5 classes per week at a school that is part of a company. The lessons are 75 mins long. We would be paying 450$ every 9 weeks but we get a scholarship. We pay just over 200$

5$

From age 8 until 14 or so, they have the same teacher, but different classes. That teacher is a classically trained ballet teacher. When they get older they take class with the director of the company. Sometimes members of the company lead company classes if the director is away.

We don't pay for any costumes when my son performs with the company. The company has a costume person who makes everything. The company keeps it all as well. My son only ever has small roles, such as a page. The company dancers are professional adult and older teen dancers and they perform in the shows. There is an end of year performance of all the children in the school that is just for the parents and we pay a 15$ fee for cleaning the costumes that are used for that show

hth

Well, my dd is now a professional ballerina and part-time college student, but when she was a student:

How much do you pay for your DC's ballet lessons? How long are the lessons? How many lessons per week? She was in a full day pre-professional program 5 days a week from 11:30 AM to 6:30 PM. The tuition for non-boarding students was $500 per month. My dd was on scholarship, so we only paid $250 per month. Her classes were all day, though there was an hour break from 2-3PM for schoolwork. They had a study room with wifi and laptops for that. They had a PT on staff that worked with the girls once a week (more as needed). They had a nutritionist as well as a pilates instructor and pilates room with all the machines. They took technique, pointe, character, variations, partnering, Pilates, yoga, nutrition, "life as a professional dancer" (how to write a dance resume, how to audition, summer intensive info, how to stay injury free, how to avoid dance pitfalls, etc.) and contemporary ballet. Twice a week they did either modern, jazz (real jazz), ballroom, or another form of dance (African, Brazilian, etc.)

Is there an annual registration fee or something similar? How much is it? I'm sure there was, but we didn't have to pay it.

Who teaches the early levels (say about 10 yo and younger) - older students or a trained adult? Trained adults and former professional dancers (or current company dancers) taught every class.

What do you pay for costumes (or costume fees)? Do you keep the costumes? Real ballet doesn't do that. Costumes were ordered for every production that the company produced. They were custom made for each dancer, but they belonged to the company.

This was dd's 3rd year. She's currently a level 2a. 2 technique classes/ week = $128/ month. Classes are 75 minutes long. She also takes a pre-Pilates, stretching class twice a week for 60 minutes. That's an additional $96/ month.

Is there an annual registration fee or something similar? How much is it? Yes. $25/ year.

Trained adults.

Costumes range usually between $90 and $125. We do get to keep them.

My answers are in green. Dd participates at an academy that's affiliated with a local professional ballet company.

My daughter was at an arts high school this year but this is what we paid before this year. FYI- tuition at Baltimore School for the Arts was $4600. She was also accepted at UNCSA for high school but she would have been living on campus and it would have been $25,000 a year!

How much do you pay for your DC's ballet lessons? How long are the lessons? How many lessons per week? This depends on the age. My daughter was taking 4 ballet classes a week by the time she was 9 plus jazz and tap. By the time she was 11, 5-6 ballet classes per week. Typically 10-11 weeks of classes are approximately $150 per class.

Is there an annual registration fee or something similar? How much is it? one studio no, the other $35

Who teaches the early levels (say about 10 yo and younger) - older students or a trained adult? Trained adult

Not for Company performances but yes for her class pieces. Ordinarily $60 or so each.

Then there are the pointe shoes. $75 a pair and she would go through them in a couple of days when she was in partnering roles like Clara and Giselle. My daughter will be leaving this weekend for summer intensive at American Ballet Theatre and thats $1000 a WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!

We live in a small town, so no pre-professional options... Still, we have a great studio about 15 miles from us.

I believe the monthly amount is something around $140 for 3 ballet classes/week (around 4.5 hrs per week)

How long are the lessons? How many lessons per week?

Creative Movement and Pre-Ballet are around 45 min. 1x/week.

The beginning levels (mostly the first three years of formal classes or so -- ages 7-9ish) are around an 1 hr. 1-2x/week.

The intermediate type classes are an 1.5 hr and are 2-3x/week. (most kids are 10-12+)

The oldest kids (girls pre-point or en pointe - mostly 11-18) have longer classes and I think are in the studio at least 4 or more times/week. I believe they have a flat fee per semester, so can take lots of classes.

The boys class is a beginning class - 1hr 1x/week.

I think it's $20.

Definitely a trained adult. Some of the creative movement classes 3-4 yr olds are taught by an adult dancer who was never a professional ballet dancer, but who's great with pre-schoolers.

No, costumes for nutcracker belong to the studio. Costumes for the spring performance are basic dance-dresses or unitards and belong to the studio. I think the pre-ballet/creative movement families do buy matching leotards and tutus and hair accessories just for fun, but I don't think they cost more than 20-30$ total.

Nutcracker and the spring showcase have a performance fee around 75$ I think. I doubt the younger kids need to pay that, though.

Also -- I take ballet class too. I pay $10/lesson (or 5 if I just take barre). Obviously no costumes/registration fees/etc...

Edited by Momling

I believe it was $250 for the semester for one class a week.

Depends on the level. Tiny Tots, Pre ballet, and levels 1a, are 60 minute classes, 1 class a week required. Levels 1b, 2a and up are 1.5 hours per class. Level 2b is required 2 classes per week. The committment grows as they get older. Level 2a is usually 8-10 year olds.

No

All trained adults. Sometimes in the younger classes there will be an older mature student to demonstrate, but definitely not to teach.

When you participate in a show like Nutcracker or Midsummers Nights Dream, you pay a production fee which covers costuming. I think it was $50. For the Spring Showcase, which is a recital we don't pay a production fee. We don not get to keep any costumes.

My daughter was at an arts high school this year but this is what we paid before this year. FYI- tuition at Baltimore School for the Arts was $4600. She was also accepted at UNCSA for high school but she would have been living on campus and it would have been $25,000 a year!

How much do you pay for your DC's ballet lessons? How long are the lessons? How many lessons per week? This depends on the age. My daughter was taking 4 ballet classes a week by the time she was 9 plus jazz and tap. By the time she was 11, 5-6 ballet classes per week. Typically 10-11 weeks of classes are approximately $150 per class.

Is there an annual registration fee or something similar? How much is it? one studio no, the other $35

Who teaches the early levels (say about 10 yo and younger) - older students or a trained adult? Trained adult

Not for Company performances but yes for her class pieces. Ordinarily $60 or so each.

Then there are the pointe shoes. $75 a pair and she would go through them in a couple of days when she was in partnering roles like Clara and Giselle. My daughter will be leaving this weekend for summer intensive at American Ballet Theatre and thats $1000 a WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, the pointe shoes and SIs are killer expensive. LOL I'm so happy...delirious actually...that dd now has a pointe shoe allowance. :lol: OP, scholarships for SIs are your friend. If your dd gets those, the cost for the SIs is greatly reduced. My dd used to go to two summer intensives each year and if she didn't get merit scholarships, we'd be living in a van down by the river. :D

How much do you pay for your DC's ballet lessons? (I think they're about $9.00 a class.) How long are the lessons? How many lessons per week?

Ballet/Jazz/Modern are 60 minutes

Pointe is 1/2 hr

$25 or so?

Owner teaches the oldest, Co-worker teaches some classes like Modern.

About $50 per costume. Yay, I get to keep pieces she'll never wear again... (I wish that we collected them and sent them on to poor neighborhoods, or kept them for the next performance they could be used in. The last studio did keep them year to year...)

My daughter is doing 5 or so classes a week and helping in another class for little kids. (They give one class for one demonstration class) She's also doing Dance Team for Highschool :) That's another 3 days of meeting for maybe 6 more hours of dancing? She should be in incredible shape. :)

Edited by NayfiesMama

About $700 per quarter. (At least, it was $700 for this quarter. I think it was closer to $800 during the school year, but I don't remember.) Her classes are two hours long, six days per week, but she can take as many classes as she wants. Currently she dances 22 hours per week.

No.

Trained adults who were professional dancers.

We pay about $100 per year for what mostly amounts to dry cleaning fees; the costumes belong to the studio.

The summer intensive at her studio costs $1400 (I'm afraid she won't be going), and shoes cost the earth. (No, not really - it just seems that way. :tongue_smilie: )

Edited by Melanie

Ballet is $45 for 1 hr per week. Tap, jazz and modern are 30 minute add ons for $10 ea. So, 2.5hrs 1 day a week for $75.

$25 yr

The owner of the studio, a professional dancer.

There will be a fee, but I'm not sure what it will be because this is our first year with this studio.

I have two boys in ballet, so I'll answer in red for my 9 year old and blue for my 13 year old. It's really quite different because they're in different levels.

We pay everything by the year (September to June). $1150 and $3900 (includes jazz and modern classes).

1 - 1.5 hours. 2 - 3.5 hours.

3. 5 ballet, 1 jazz, 1 modern.

We just pay the annual tuition.

Trained adults teach every class, to the best of my knowledge.

Up to age 7, you pay for the costumes and keep them. I think the fee varies. From 8+, costumes are paid for by the company and you don't keep them.

My dd used to go to two summer intensives each year and if she didn't get merit scholarships, we'd be living in a van down by the river. :D

To tell you the truth, I'm not all that keen on her going away at all. I have always (in a very matter of fact. outspoken way) tried to talk her out of dancing. Well, I should say I tried to talk her into other things. I just hate the fact that dancers are pushed at such a young age (to go away for the summer, to go away for school, to dance more and more). Plus I worry about her health, her self image, and quite frankly it irritates me severely that she is SOOOOOO smart and such a hard worker and I would rather her do a traditional college path. So yes she has had scholarships (even for her year around) but I'll take closer to home over a scholarship any day. In fact, I'd pay double to have her stay home!

OTOH, she has really had a hard time with the fact that she had no science class this year and that 2 girls left because of eating disorders. She has been actively online (without any push from me because I finally gave up the fight) looking at UMBC for Engineering or Physical Therapy. She actually asked me to take her to the CC for the entrance exam, took it, did great on it, and is registered for 3 classes for fall. I just hope she doesn't change her mind! :001_smile:

Congratulations to your daughter!

1. $120/month for 2 - 1 hour classes per week.

2. $25 annual registration.

3. RAD school, classes are taught by trained teachers.

4. We don't have "recitals". We have a Winter Production (Nutcracker every year) and a Spring Production (this year was Peter Pan). Production fees are usually about $175. This includes Saturday rehearsals for 2-3 months before production. We do not keep any costumes.

We also do RAD exams and I think that was $125 this year.

I am drowning in black leggings and white t-shirts, but that is small potatoes.

My dd had to wear powder blue, no skirt, no shorts all year Monday through Friday for 4 class periods. What was the director thinking! Do you know how many girls had embarrassing moments this year?!?! And all the boys were in black leggings. So not fair. Ugh!

BTW. my son dances also but VERY recreationally. He enjoys it but I can't say his father supports him.

Okay, I have two in ballet. Actually, for dd4 it's ballet and tap (1 hour twice a week), and for ds8 it's ballet, tap, and jazz (1 1/2 hours twice a week).

There's a $35 registration fee per year, and classes are $80 per child per month, but since they're siblings there's a discount - I believe $72 per child per month, so $144 a month.

The costumes are expensive. We buy them ahead of time, paid off by Christmas break - two costumes each (two dances): the exact amount escapes me, but we pay it slowly from October to December - added to our monthly bill. The exact number escapes me.. Dh paid a lot this past year. We keep them (and wear them again at the Oktoberfest).

Last year we did Alice in Wonderland and this year we did Peter Pan.

The lady who runs the studio teaches the younger students. Her daughter, another trained adult, teaches the teens.

Edited by sagira

I was thinking the exact same thing. :)

Well, tap shoes and ballet shoes for my boy cost money ;)

I also have two girls following him.. She could use his shoes for a while.

ETA: I see, you were talking about toe/pointe shoes. Boys don't use them?

Edited by sagira

Well, tap shoes and ballet shoes for my boy cost money ;)

I also have two girls following him.. She could use his shoes for a while.

ETA: I see, you were talking about toe/pointe shoes. Boys don't use them?

No, men do not dance en pointe. My dd's pointe shoes (she is required to wear Freed's by her company), are $90 per pair (not including shipping). If she's being conservative and dancing on dead shoes (which she actually prefers), she goes through one pair a week. In an intensive week with rehearsals and upcoming performances, it's two to three pair a week. It adds up very quickly if you're an advanced student. Now, they're covered by her company (up to ten pair per month), and I couldn't be happier. :D

Hard to insert answers on iPad

Forgive my nosy money questions, but I figure this is an anonymous forum, so here we go:In a different country but here we go anyway

About $10 a class

Concert fee $25ish, exam fees add up to about $70

Trained adult

my 2 daughters have 4 classes a week + 3 pointe classes and my son takes one class a week (he's 8) and together it's $70 a week. they're in the company and their regular classes are 1 1/2 hours and pointe is 1 hr. my son's class is an hour and a half also. (we live in calif)

Is there an annual registration fee or something similar? How much is it? there's no registration fee. we have company fees of $90 for both girls in total once a year. we also have to volunteer 100 hours a year. i am one of the costume matrons so that takes care of the hours pretty quickly.

always a trained adult.

for nutcracker there are costume fees if you are not in the company - $20. the company members do not have a fee and we have company costumes which are variously altered for each production. we produce nutcracker every december and a spring production, which this year included giselle.

you didn't mention, but the ballet studios i've known that have more flashy costumes which you pay for and keep tend to be more of a 'show' ballet rather than true classical training. you really have to think about what you want from it. i wanted my kids to have strong clean training and discipline. they may or may not continue in ballet (they are 14, 12 and 8) but i know they'll have what they need if they do, and if not they're learning how to work for what they want. sorry for the long response!

How much do you pay for your DC's ballet lessons? $75/session. Each session is 9 weeks. There are four sessions offered each year. We only do 1 session per year.

How long are the lessons? 1 hour

How many lessons per week? 1

Is there an annual registration fee or something similar? No

Who teaches the early levels (say about 10 yo and younger) - older students or a trained adult? a trained adult and her daughter is a helper. This is actually uncommon here. Kids under 10 always seem to be taught by 13-15 year olds at studios here. I wasn't impressed with this, nor with the price (typically over $250 + fees for the year) to have a child teach my child. :glare:

What do you pay for costumes (or costume fees)? Do you keep the costumes? No costumes. We have one outfit to buy. That's it. The last recital I was at (with a different studio that a family memeber dances at) the 4 year old class had 6 dances, all with different costumes, purchased at the parents expense, on top of fees.

Depressingly more than everyone else it seems, though we go to a good studio with a pre-professional program (as well as more fun programs in the early years) and live in a very expensive urban area. Not this coming year, but the following year, the price jumps significantly and we'll have to decide if he's serious enough to continue or if we need to switch to a lower key and cheaper studio.

55 minutes. Once a week, though since my ballet dancer is a boy, they offer a second boys' class free as well to encourage them. We couldn't take advantage of it last year, but we hope to this year.

No, just the cost of the classes.

Trained adults teach all the classes at all levels.

We paid a single fee for the costume and the DVD of the "recital." It was, IIRC $50. I was very briefly put out because ds's costume was clearly pretty cheap, while the girls' were the ones that justified the cost, but whatever. Ds is just 7, so it wasn't a big affair. We kept the costume.

Responses in red.

We pay 38 a month for a 45 minute class every Monday.

There was a 25 dollar program fee for signing up, but its good for a whole family, for life.

Costumes are 50 dollars.. butttt they always add a lot. Like this year she needed a specific kind of tights, a tshirt from the ballet company, black shorts.. So total about 75 ish.

Her SHOES... ughhh.. It was a tap/ballet class and we live in a very small town so we ordered them from the studio. Like 80 some dollars for both. Whew.

Don't forget pictures! Thats always an added expense. & If they prohibit cameras at the recital then they try and get you to pay 20 dollars for a filmed copy on DVD:glare:

The owner of the studio is her teacher. She is very committed and teaches every class. She is from ballet met originally. She has two older students to assist her with my daughters class.

Just ballet in my dd's studio would run about $50/month for one 1-hr class a week.

The annual registration is $25.

Trained professionals do the teaching, older student assist.

Costumes for a recital are usually around $50. and yes, we keep the costumes.

(The above is what dd started with. Now dd is 15 and on the dance competition team. Her tuition would normally be about $250/month, but she teaches there so it's free. She takes 6-7 classes a week and has privates for her solos - which we pay for. Competition costumes can be anywhere from $75 to $200. And all of her teachers are professionals - mostly coming from major dance companies or Broadway - even a Rockette once. She goes to a school for performing arts and takes 7.5 hrs of ballet and 7.5 hrs of modern each week for free)

$175 a quarter for 1hr, 1/wk

$75

Trained adult

We choose only to participate in a small in house recital for free. There is a very large Christmas production that costs $200 to participate in. All rehearsals for that happen on Saturdays. You do not keep the costuming.

This is a Pre-professional studio.

How much do you pay for your DC's ballet lessons? How long are the lessons? How many lessons per week? I pay $60 per month for dd4 to take a 45 min class and $100 per month for dd8 to take a 60 min ballet technique class & 30 min. modern class. She won't start taking 2 ballet technique classes per week until she is 9 yr old.

Is there an annual registration fee or something similar? How much is it? The registration fee is $40 for the first child and $20 for any additional children, so we paid $60.

Who teaches the early levels (say about 10 yo and younger) - older students or a trained adult? All classes are taught by trained adults. The younger classes (creative movement and pre-ballet) are taught by adults with degrees in dance. All ballet technique and pointe classes are taught by former professional ballerinas. The boys' technique classes are taught by one of the principal male dancers from the nearby ballet company. They consider him a "guest" teacher rather than a staff member since he is still dancing professionally and only teaches the boy classes. Modern classes are taught by trained modern dancers.

We have no contumes or costume fees. The little girls purchase a $20 skirt to wear over their class leotard for the end of year recital. There is a recital fee of $45 to cover the cost of the theater, but there is no charge for tickets to the performance. The recital is considered optional, so you could skip it if you didn't want to pay the fees. The older professional students perform on a school dance company. The company owns costumes, which it provides for the students to wear free-of-charge during performances.

HTH

I'm feeling less and less okay about our current ballet studio. Our community is not affluent at all, but the fees don't reflect that (the "professional" sector does very well, relative to the COL here) This studio is the only deal in town and they know it. I'm feeling tapped out at the moment, and seriously considering forcing both girls to quit because it's gotten out of hand. Neither girl has dreams of being a ballerina, but they both (sometimes) like it. (They go back and forth about loving/being bored with ballet)

We pay $65/mo for a 1 hr lesson taught by a sweet but untrained (in teaching) 16 year old. The untrained-in-teaching shows when I see the results at recital time. This isn't a pre-professional school. They have a "company" but it simply consists of adult/advanced teen dancers. It's not a professional group.

$50/yr family registration fee. December and June have only 2 lessons but we still pay the full rate.

$65 costume rental fee (they use the SAME costumes every year for the Nutcracker, some of the costumes/set are updated every decade or so, I think. I think they use costumes from their stash for the spring productions, since they cycle through the same ballets every few years - Giselle, Sleeping Beauty, etc.). Tickets are usually $15/ea for performances, $10/ea for recitals (like I haven't already paid enough). Plus the usual shoes/leo/skirt for class.

Edited by shinyhappypeople

:

How much do you pay for your DC's ballet lessons? How long are the lessons? How many lessons per week? Ballet classes start at $50/month for a one hour class once a week. As students get older, the classes are longer and more expensive and students are also required to go to "ballet days" at other studios and pay for exams.

Is there an annual registration fee or something similar? How much is it? Our studio has an annual registration fee of $35 that is waived for returning students or others who register for fall by early July.

Who teaches the early levels (say about 10 yo and younger) - older students or a trained adult? Our ballet classes, including those for the youngest students, are always taught by a trained adult (usually our studio owner).

We pay about $80 per costume and the costumes are ours to keep.

30 dollar registration fee

-Monthly tuition is 50-60 or so. We pay be the year and get a 15% discount for doing so. The annual tuition for 2012-2013 was about 500 after discount. The year runs from Sept to the very beginning of June, which is the Spring performance. We pay half of the costume at registration which is 40. I think we pay the 2nd half of the costume closer to performance time. We keep the costumes. THey do the Nutcracker every year, but the studio owns those costumes and there is no charge for them. There may be an additional "performance fee" for the Nutcracker (we skipped it last year as it was just a small, optional walk-on role for Preballet 1 students, and we were away on a business trip with DH). Recital tickets were 15/person, including for my 8 yo to watch his sister (no discounts for children).

This is for preballet 2, 60 minutes. The last 15mins of the hour is tap.

We haven't even hit "ballet" yet ;)

As they matriculate, they are required to dance so many hours per week, which will then put us up over 1000-1500 per year if DD continues. :tongue_smilie: At a certain point summer intensives at the studio are also required, and that's an additional fee.

I have no idea if they are "preprofessional" or not. I don't think so. Of the senior dancers this year, a few are majoring, double majoring, or minoring in dance at university. The director's DD is a dance major at the same university her mother attended. She does some teaching. All instructors are adults.

How much do you pay for your DC's ballet lessons? How long are the lessons? How many lessons per week? Too much. I have two girls in ballet. It averages out to around $300 per month for both of them-- but they are at a pre-pro studio. They each take 3-4 classes per week, including one conditioning class. Their technique classes are 1.5 hours each. Any rehearsals are additional.

Is there an annual registration fee or something similar? How much is it? Yes. I think it is $25.

Who teaches the early levels (say about 10 yo and younger) - older students or a trained adult? We have a highly trained adult, who not only danced professionally but also has Russian ballet degree.

We pay $100 per child to participate in any show. We do not keep costumes. They belong to the studio.

How much do you pay for your DC's ballet lessons? How long are the lessons? How many lessons per week? $225/semester for my 12 yo, 1 1/2 hr lessons, 2 times/wk. $150/semester for 9yo, 1 hr, 1 time/wk.

Is there an annual registration fee or something similar? How much is it? No registration fee

Who teaches the early levels (say about 10 yo and younger) - older students or a trained adult? Students sometimes teach the 5&6 yo. Older students taught by director with Master's in dance and professional experience.

1st costume per class per semester is $20 (you keep all costumes), 2nd is $15, 3rd and any above 3 are $10 each.

:001_smile: We pay a flat rate of $1000 a yr. for unlimited classes. They are each an hr. long and she takes 3-4 each day, Mon-Thurs.

:001_smile: We have a one time fee of $25 for new students only.

:001_smile: We have ONLY trained adults teaching. No older students... ever. I'm not paying for a teenager to teach my teenager.

:001_smile:$75 a piece, we usually have 7 or 8 costumes. Yes, we keep them. They're in a huge box in our attic. I'm sure it will be emotionally traumatic for me to have to dump them after she graduates next yr.

I think cost varies a lot depending upon the area.

How much do you pay for your DC's ballet lessons? How long are the lessons? How many lessons per week? Dd was in pre-ballet 1 hour combo (ballet/tap/jazz) this year. $50/month for a 1 hour class. Younger kids have shorter classes that cost a little less. Older students have longer classes that cost a little more. Our studio offers discounts for multiple classes and for paying for the 9 months upfront. This is a pre-professional studio. Their prices are competitive with all the other studios I researched in the area (even some I was none too impressed with).

One time family registration fee of $25, I think, you don't pay again if you come back (we even skipped a year and they didn't charge us since we were in the system).

Always a trained adult.

Costume fee about $50, we keep it, but we also needed special tights this year to the tune of $17. Recital tix were $12 for adults and $6 for kids if you pre-buy ($15 and $9 at the door).

Shoes ran about $80 2x this year (her feet grow fast) as she needed both ballet and tap and she wears a ladies size (at age 8!). Our studio requires particular leotards and tights bought at the studio for young kids as it makes it easy to keep track (my dd's class wore burgundy leotards, the next group down in age wears lavender, etc.), but they are cheap and durable. The dress code for olders is more flexible.

That cost isn't so different from ours (it's actually a bit less, I think - we don't pay by the month). But like I said, we live in an expensive area. Whenever I see how much people here pay for... well, anything - classes, co-ops, groceries, babysitting, etc. - I get rather depressed. I think it's better not to ask usually.

The thing that would bother me is that you're paying that for a 16 yo "teacher"! No matter how good a dancer she is or how good she is with little kids, come on. She's a kid herself. The teachers at our studio do this for a living so while I grumble at the cost, I know it's paying their groceries and rent and so forth, not to mention the upkeep of the studio itself. For the 16 yo, I'll bet they're paying her next to nada. Someone is really raking in the dough though.

I'm feeling less and less okay about our current ballet studio. Our community is not affluent at all, but the fees don't reflect that (the "professional" sector does very well, relative to the COL here) This studio is the only deal in town and they know it. I'm feeling tapped out at the moment, and seriously considering forcing both girls to quit because it's gotten out of hand. Neither girl has dreams of being a ballerina, but they both (sometimes) like it. (They go back and forth about loving/being bored with ballet)

We pay $65/mo for a 1 hr lesson taught by a sweet but untrained (in teaching) 16 year old. The untrained-in-teaching shows when I see the results at recital time. This isn't a pre-professional school. They have a "company" but it simply consists of adult/advanced teen dancers. It's not a professional group.

$50/yr family registration fee. December and June have only 2 lessons but we still pay the full rate.

$65 costume rental fee (they use the SAME costumes every year for the Nutcracker, some of the costumes/set are updated every decade or so, I think. I think they use costumes from their stash for the spring productions, since they cycle through the same ballets every few years - Giselle, Sleeping Beauty, etc.). Tickets are usually $15/ea for performances, $10/ea for recitals (like I haven't already paid enough). Plus the usual shoes/leo/skirt for class.

$65 each for her ballet/prepointe/jazz classes. My daughter took one ballet and one pre-pointe class this year, each are an hour long. In addition she also ended the year with two jazz classes (two different dance schools), and danced on a competition team. In the fall she is in the school's ballet company for their Nutcracker production.

One school charges $30, the other charges $55.

Trained adults

About $60 per class, I think. It was $450 for her to participate in Nutcracker, and the costumes do not belong to her. She keeps her recital costumes.

Because my dd is 10, her feet are growing like crazy and we are on her fourth pair of pointe shoes. I wish I had known how pricey they'd be when she first started dancing at age 3! It's all good, though, because she enjoys it. :)

It doesn't seem like the cost of the classes, etc., is out of proportion with most dance studios I've looked at (both recreational and pre-pro). In fact, it seems to be average, to slightly below average. However, it does seem odd that they have a 16 year old teaching--even for a recreational studio. I would never pay that kind of money for a child teacher.

On another note, with regard to your dds' results at recital time, one hour per week is not going to get particularly good results in ballet, regardless of the teacher's age or experience. One hour per week would be for creative movement or pre-ballet classes, but once true ballet classes start (around age 7 or 8), at least two one hour classes per week should be taken, to really see a tangible amount of progress.

If you are able to find a different studio, in addition to finding about teacher qualifications, you will want to check their class schedule and make sure that, starting with Ballet 1, they offer at least 2 classes per week, with those numbers steadily increasing with each level, until you see that the most advanced students take tech class 5-6 days per week, with each class being around 2.0 hours. Also, students beginning pointe should have a bare minimum of three 1.5 hour classes per week, preferably more. There should be a quality sprung floor for the students, as well. This should give you a general idea of what a quality studio should look like.

I agree with some PPers. I don't think the costs sound bad but I live in a more expensive area and expect things to cost more.

I would have a huge problem with a teenager teaching classes.

I also see a big problem with them *sometimes* liking ballet. It is a big commitment and it gets bigger and bigger every year. If my DD didn't love it, we wouldn't do it. For my DD, I really think this is *her thing*. I don't have any illusions about her being a professional dancer but this a studio where she will be able to dance through high school (keeping her very busy, many, many hours/week and hopefully out of trouble). I also really like what I see of the teenage girls at the studio, they all seem to be kind, studious, and respectful.

On another note, with regard to your dds' results at recital time, one hour per week is not going to get particularly good results in ballet, regardless of the teacher's age or experience. One hour per week would be for creative movement or pre-ballet classes, but once true ballet classes start (around age 7 or 8), at least two one hour classes per week should be taken, to really see a tangible amount of progress.

I agree with this too. I have noticed a big difference with Grade 2 and up. It seems with Pre-Primary and Grade 1, they are really building a foundation and in Grade 2 things start looking a lot more refined.

Don't forget pictures! Thats always an added expense. & If they prohibit cameras at the recital then they try and get you to pay 20 dollars for a filmed copy on DVD:glare:

Cameras and videos are prohibited at our recitals and the DVD costs $40. I'd be thrilled to only pay $20.

Cameras and videos are prohibited at our recitals and the DVD costs $40. I'd be thrilled to only pay $20.

I forgot about that. I dislike the feeling that I have to shell out more and more money at every turn and I am *deeply* annoyed at paying full price for a class taught by teenagers. If the class were maybe $30/mo (IOW, inexpensive) I wouldn't be as bugged by it. AFAIK (and I admit I could be wrong) the teen teachers receive discounts on their tuition in exchange for teaching. And, ONE of the teachers (the one younger DD had last year) was absolutely excellent! But she graduated :( :(

Wow, there are a lot of us ballet moms here!

Overall, I think our studio is more expensive than what many others have posted. However, our fees are comparable to other studios in our area, and I think we get our money's worth. There are several other dance studios in our area, and the deciding factor in choosing a studio isn't the fees!

Here's the fees we will have for the coming year.

DD9 will go for two 1.5 hour classes per week. Her tuition will be $139 per month. DD6 will go for one 45 minute lesson per week. Her tuition would be $67 per month, but she gets a 5% sibling discount. The more hours a dancer takes, the cheaper it is per hour.

The registration fee for one child is $40. The family registration fee is $65.

Trained adults teach all the classes. Some classes have older students (late high school and college age) who assist in classes and sometimes teach when the regular teacher is absent. The main ballet teachers are the owners of the studio and they not only danced professionally, they also taught for a major ballet company.

The studio does have a pre-professional division, but that label is only for the most advanced students.

We also have small classes for our area. When my kids were 3-7 years old, classes never had more than 12 kids, and often had only 4-8 kids in the class.

We pay for the performances. It is about $250 per dancer. The fee includes one costume (which we keep), all rehearsals (they don't rehearse in class), two tickets, a t-shirt, and the DVD. I love that the kids don't rehearse in class. That way if kids don't want to participate (e.g. don't like being on stage, or will be out of town on the show date) they don't miss it, and they still get a full class of training.

Photos are extra, but they bring in a professional photographer who was a professional ballet dancer. He knows how to pose the dancers takes fabulous photographs. Or you can take photos on your own after the show, since you get to keep the costume.