Menu

Do you think this dress will work for my dd's wedding?

My daughter is getting married in 2.5 weeks. I'll be 24 weeks pregnant at her wedding, and I STILL don't have a dress!! Finding a dress for myself has been a HUGE challenge. I'm tall and so many dresses hit me at mid thigh.....I'm just too old and a bit too modest for that. Many maternity dresses show major cleavage or hug the body in a way which I find uncomfortable and unflattering.

I bought a pattern and have silver fabric picked out; dd#2 is willing to make my dress. However, time is dwindling and stress is building. I found this dress online tonight and think it would look great. My original plan was to have a silver dress since the bridesmaids are wearing dark purple.

I know it's traditional not to wear black to a wedding, but do you think this dress would be OK with black just on the bottom? It's an afternoon wedding.

http://www.picchumaternity.com/us/shop-by-occasion/maternity-dresses-1/silk-top-maternity-dress.html

I don't know :confused:. There is something about the top that seems a bit 'off'. I don't know if it is the shiny fabric and her books or what, but I don't think it is flattering. Sorry

ETA: I went back and looked again. It is her books....the fabric really emphasizes them. They seem to scream....LOOK AT ME!

What part of the country do you live in? (I think northern states have dressier wedding trends, right?) You could use navy blue or cranberry red on the bottom and it would be pretty, too. And you should wear great jewelry! I like that dress. :)

I think the dress would be fine. I think the way she is standing is making the front odd. Very few of us stand with our chest forward. (okay, not many that I have seen:tongue_smilie:)

I think the black on the bottom is fine as long as it is not all black. I also liked the purple maternity dress on the same site.

The black I think would be fine....many brides are even choosing black for their bridesmaids' dresses these days.

But, the top of the dress bothers me. I don't think it photographs well and would be a distraction in the wedding photos.

I'm sorry! I hope you find what you are looking for soon!

Congrats on the pregnancy! :D

Finding a formal maternity dress is a nightmare. If you have found one you like, buy it. Traditions are on the way out the door, wearing what you look good in and are happy with are in. Go for it!

If you are truly concerned, ask the bride. Her opinion is the only one I would be concerned with.

Oh, yes. I like this one, too. It's gorgeous.

How close to the same purple as the bridesmaid dresses? I also like the pink one that a pp posted. It would go with the purple but not conflict and traditionally, Mother of the Bride wore pink.

I really like the purple dress, too! It's the same color as the bridesmaids dresses. So I need to stay away from it.......right? Or would that be OK? :confused:

Post a picture of the purple. I think it's very pretty when the mother of the bride echos (but doesn't match) the bridesmaids. I really like the purple.

If ong is ok, then I would look for something with an empire waist. If it is a daytime wedding then something is a not shiny gold, tan, cream or some sort of pastel. You want to stand out from the bridesmaids but not overshadow the bride. If it is an evening wedding then black works fine especially if the men are all wearing black tuxes. Both the mother of the groom and I wore black for our kids evening wedding and pictures came out great.

My daughter is getting married in 2.5 weeks. I'll be 24 weeks pregnant at her wedding, and I STILL don't have a dress!! Finding a dress for myself has been a HUGE challenge. I'm tall and so many dresses hit me at mid thigh.....I'm just too old and a bit too modest for that. Many maternity dresses show major cleavage or hug the body in a way which I find uncomfortable and unflattering.

I bought a pattern and have silver fabric picked out; dd#2 is willing to make my dress. However, time is dwindling and stress is building. I found this dress online tonight and think it would look great. My original plan was to have a silver dress since the bridesmaids are wearing dark purple.

I know it's traditional not to wear black to a wedding, but do you think this dress would be OK with black just on the bottom? It's an afternoon wedding.

http://www.picchumaternity.com/us/shop-by-occasion/maternity-dresses-1/silk-top-maternity-dress.html

I think it's lovely. If you feel beautiful in it, you'll look beautiful in it. :)

Finding a formal maternity dress is a nightmare. If you have found one you like, buy it. Traditions are on the way out the door, wearing what you look good in and are happy with are in. Go for it!

If you are truly concerned, ask the bride. Her opinion is the only one I would be concerned with.

:iagree: If your daughter likes it, you like, buy it.

That is a lovely dress.

(That model needs better foundation garments.)

That was my thought as well, but I don't think it's actually the case. I think they have a very non-pregnant looking model in a dress with an awkward empire waist (which will not be awkward with a baby bump), so it looks like those b00ks are sitting right at her skirt waist.

Looking at their location along her arm, it appears they're situated in the standard area.

I think the rules for black at weddings have changed. There is nothing about that dress that suggests mourning. I think it would be lovely. :)

I'm sorry to say it, but I don't like the dress at all. I think metallic is a very bad idea, as it will look awful in photos and may also make your skin look washed-out. I also agree with others who have said that the top of the dress is unflattering. Unless your arms are perfect, those little puffy sleeves will make them look either chubby or too skinny, and the neckline will over-emphasize your booKs.

Sorry to sound harsh about the dress, but I really don't like it, and I absolutely don't like the idea of an all-silver dress, either. It seems a little too "Happy New Year" to me, even for a formal evening wedding. Since the wedding is in the afternoon, I think a metallic dress would look nothing short of tacky. Also, since it's a summer wedding, I think you should avoid anything that looks too dark or heavy.

Have you considered a gown instead of a cocktail-length dress?

Edited by Catwoman

I like the theory of the silver dress but I don't think it really delivers. It has that strange belt/elastic/waist thing (check out the second picture), and I'm not sure how that's supposed to look when the wearer has an actual baby belly. It's thick and rouched at a time when you want the narrower under-bust area to look slim compared to the rest of you. It's not quite empire but not quite not. I think it will have trouble fitting correctly. You can do better.

ETA - But you're off to a good start looking, and I liked some of the other suggestions! :-)

:iagree:

ETA: I like that purple one, without knowing anything else about the wedding.

What if you took the purple dress and overlaid it with grey or silver lace? (like in the photo, but different dress and colors) You'd still match, look formal enough, and tone down the purple enough to coordinate, but not blend in with, the bridesmaids?

6031fb3a.jpg

What part of the country do you live in? (I think northern states have dressier wedding trends, right?) You could use navy blue or cranberry red on the bottom and it would be pretty, too. And you should wear great jewelry! I like that dress. :)

You've never been to a Southern wedding.

I'd look for something dressier. I like the purple and the silver dresses.

What does your dd think about that? I don't think it is horrible to be the same color esp. if the style of dress is different and you have different accessories.

She (dd) was negative about me wearing purple. :glare:

The crazy thing is that I could have found 4 or 5 other purple dresses I would have been happy with too!! If I wanted to wear solid black I could have found dozens of dresses. I could have even found dozens of bridal dresses in maternity..... if I were the one getting married.

The mother of the groom and my mother each have 3 dresses that they are waiting to decide on after I find my dress. I'm driving everyone crazy! :willy_nilly:

What if you took the purple dress and overlaid it with grey or silver lace? (like in the photo, but different dress and colors) You'd still match, look formal enough, and tone down the purple enough to coordinate, but not blend in with, the bridesmaids?

6031fb3a.jpg

WHERE did you find these pictures? I would love the dress on the right!

Edited by Leanna
punctuation

Sorry to sound harsh about the dress, but I really don't like it, and I absolutely don't like the idea of an all-silver dress, either. It seems a little too "Happy New Year" to me, even for a formal evening wedding. Since the wedding is in the afternoon, I think a metallic dress would look nothing short of tacky. Also, since it's a summer wedding, I think you should avoid anything that looks too dark or heavy.

Have you considered a gown instead of a cocktail-length dress?

I agree with you about avoiding the dark and heavy colors, but I don't know what color to look for that will look OK with the bridesmaids' dark purple, and is actually made in maternity. Most maternity dresses that are conservatively cut are dark in color. I bought a navy dress and returned it b/c my mother said it was too dark.

By a gown.....do you mean long? The only other woman at the wedding wearing a long dress would be the bride. Would I look out of place? The mother of the groom has three short dresses she's waiting to decide on. The bridesmaids are knee length. I wouldn't mind a long dress, but I thought I shouldn't since the bridesmaids aren't wearing long.

:crying: I waited too late! I should have come to the hive sooner. I don't have time to order the dress and get it even with the rush order.

:grouphug: Awww. Well, to answer another question, I don't think you should be ruling out long dresses. I think a long mother of the bride dress is very elegant. Particularly if the bridesmaids are also wearing long dresses.

I like the dress. I was 26 wks pg with twins when my dd married 12 years ago -- I wore a long black dress -- I was also unbelievably enormous. The beauty of wearing black is that in the photos, your stomach looks flat.

Congrats and enjoy!

Can I just say that this is a huge comfort to me that I'm not the first pregnant mother of the bride? :)

Can you tell me how you managed pregnant hormones while watching your daughter get married? I really think I'm going to be a blubbering idiot and will just be better off putting a bag over my head.....then no one will even look at my dress. :tongue_smilie:

This one is a really nice pink.

http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Maternity-Midi-Tea-Dress/xj5tg/?iid=2000632&cid=5813&Rf900=1465&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=200&sort=-1&clr=Pink&mporgp=L0FTT1MtTWF0ZXJuaXR5L0FTT1MtTWF0ZXJuaXR5LU1pZGktVGVhLURyZXNzL1Byb2Qv

I can certainly see why you're having trouble with length. Many of the maternity dresses are very short.

Edited by kitten18