Menu

We are going to a drive in theatre. Have you ever been to one?

There is one old drive in theater in our area. So tonight they finally have a kids movie I think DD will like.

When DH and I were kids, our families periodically took us to drive ins. Not all the time, but some. They seemed to have died off.

Have your kids ever been to a drive in?

Not since I was a little kid. I have a vivid memory of a scary guy with silver teeth. On a train? It was terrifying. My sister and I probably weren't supposed to be watching that one; I imagine we were supposed to be asleep in the back of the car.

So, how do you do it? Do you get out of the car and sit on the hood? Does everyone pile into the front to see the movie through the windshield? There's a drive-in about 40 minutes from here, but I don't understand how it works.

They have either speakers or a radio channel you can tune in to. My DH said that his family would park their van backwards and open the back doors.

I think my parents used to have the kids sit in the front seats and the parents would sit in the back (hmm I wonder what they were doing back there).

My older kids used to go with their grandma every year. The theater closed a year or so ago, so dd5 will likely never get to go to one.

We have made our own out door theater by using the projector on a screen outside for youth group events LOL

my very first movie was at a drive-in, it was Lil Abner. My parents would take lawn chairs for all of us to sit in. When I was a teen, if it was a night where they charged per person rather than per car, we would have one person drive the car and pay for one while the rest of us would be in the trunk, so sneaky lol as if the cashier did not know what was going on but they didn't care since everyone did that.

oh also as a kid, we loved playing at the playground that was just in front of the screen and also going around and banging on the car windows where teens were "not watching the movie" and then I got to be a teen and also "did not watch the movie"

Fogot to mention that my parents did not let me single date at the drive in only double date, but there was still plenty of action even on a double date.

We got several times a year since our drive in is about 10 minutes away. The first drive in movie the boys saw was Cars and our oldest thought it was the coolest thing to sit in a car while we watched Cars.

We usually take naps in the afternoon and pick up sub sandwiches on the way for a picnic. We always bring a few games to play, frisbees, etc. Since we live in a small town, we usually end up running into some friends there also. The boys love to load up the Suburban with pillows and blankets and we all curl up in the back, raise up the tailgate and settle in for the night.

Our drive in always shows a double feature. If the second movie isn't something for them, we usually bring a computer with, put the younger boys in their seats and let them watch their own movie. I'm usually asleep though by about 10 minutes into the second movie.

We love our drive in, but it sure makes for some late nights!

Yes--just twice.

My small town in Idaho still had one when I was in jr. high and I saw Dragonheart and The Phantom. It went out of business shortly thereafter.

Then when I was visiting my parents two summers ago when Keaton was an infant, we spent the day in another Idaho town that still has TWO drive ins. We saw Toy Story 3 and Prince of Persia that time. It was so nice to be able to see a 1st run movie even though I had a baby! It started at dark (9:00) so I just nursed him and he slept.

We LOVE it. Don't pack snacks unless you know it's OK. If this is a drive in in MD, you are not allowed to bring in outside food without a permit. Also, make sure you can turn off or cover up your headlights on theater property. Ours doesn't let you park with running lights on.

We bring lawn chairs and blankets so we can sit outside in front of the car. Drive in's can attract mosquitos so bring your bug spray.

I went all the time when I was a kid. It was an old-school drive-in with a crappy playground and the "5! 5 minutes to...showtime!" thing that counted down the 10 minutes before the movie started. I can remember seeing so many movies there: Grease, ET, Vacation, Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Mr. Mom...

My son has been only once, but hopefully will go again soon. We go to the movies often so I need to save one for the drive-in (right now they're showing The Avengers and Madagascar 3, both of which we've seen).

Edited by LeslieAnneLevine

We have one about 15 minutes away and go all summer! It is great when you have babies especially, but of course as they get older we only go to kid-friendly movies. They've fixed up the playground over the years, so it is huge and we have 3 screens, and a lot of movie choices. They usually do 2 movies for the price of one, but you have to be willing to stay up pretty late.

They still use their old-school movie count down and voices to announce the movie and during the breaks. It's kinda cool they didn't upgrade since it has a cool vibe.

Not since I was a little kid. I have a vivid memory of a scary guy with silver teeth. On a train? It was terrifying. My sister and I probably weren't supposed to be watching that one; I imagine we were supposed to be asleep in the back of the car.

Bet it was one of the Bond movies with Roger Moore & the silver teeth is Jaws. Can't recall which movie it is right now though.

We've got a drive in about 40 min away. May need to take a look at what they've got playing....

Yes - and they love it! We grew up with drive-in, but the last one closed in our home city long before my kids were born. I was so excited to find that there was one in the city we now live in. Our drive-in tends to show a child friendly movie every school holiday, and we try to go with a friend - the kids love moving between cars.

For dh's birthday we went to the drive-in to see a regular (ie not children's) movie - we put the kids in the back of the car with iPad and headphones to watch a kids' movie while we watched ours. It's cheaper than hiring a babysitter!

We have one not too far away, it was 2 but one went out of business. You can bring your own snacks here, but no coolers iirc. We like to back the van up and put the back seat down. We haven't been in awhile though, there are so few movies worth seeing and they start so late.

Its pretty easy to do a search for drive-ins in your state. This national database has 7 in Virginia.

I remember going as a child. We'd put sleeping bags in the back of the station wagon and we were supposed to go to sleep after the first kiddie feature. I saw Star Wars, Fox and the Hound, Song of the South, Rocky 2, and the Cat from Outer Space for the first time at a drive-in. When I was a teen I thought they'd all closed.

I reconnected with them when I was newly married. Fun! We take the boys at least once a summer. The little ones can wander through the car and play and the older ones watch the movie.

We used to go all the time when I was a kid/teen. It was cheap entertainment, and it was close to us. The first time I went was as a baby so my mom could see Star Wars. The last one was Toy Story 3 with the kids.

My kids had never been until we went to one in Texas. There aren't any close by where we are now.