Menu

Netflix instant series for summer?

Instant? We tried Mad Men - huge bust. After 4 episodes we are totally confused about why this is popular. The setting is great, and the smoking and drinking may have been realistic in many circles. Who is supposed to be the protagonist? Every single person is completely unlikeable.

What would be a good show to try? We aren't sci fi fans btw.

Edited by LNC

I'm assuming this is for grownups, since you referenced MadMen. ;)

I've heard good things about Luther. The Sherlock Holmes thing from last year was BRILLIANT. Netflix only has three episodes right now, but I think they'll have the current season sometime this summer. I also loved Downton Abbey. Can you tell I like shows made by BBC?

The other thing I've started- older shows. Lost, Bones, Friday Night Lights, Quantum Leap... all of these are shows I have in my Queue I hope to eventually have time to watch.

I know you said you don't do SciFy, but I personally think everyone should watch Battlestar Gallactica. It's SO good! ;)

What kinds of shows do you like? Dh and I just finished watching Burn Notice and enjoyed it. I recommend it if you haven't seen it. We're trying to decide what to watch next, but don't have an interest in Mad Men either. If you like murder mysteries and British shows, try Midsommer Murders.

A few things I've been watching but dh isn't interested in are Lie to Me, Numb3rs, and MI-5.

Edited by floridamom

I know you said you don't do SciFy, but I personally think everyone should watch Battlestar Gallactica. It's SO good! ;)
Strike BG, insert Firefly. :D

ETA: And Sherlock is superb.

Edited by nmoira

:iagree: we LOVE Battlestar Gallactica! We are working our way through that series right now and I truly don't want to reach the end.

Some shows we have liked in the past were Masterpiece Theater and similar, Lost (until the last epi), Felicity, Friday Night Lights, Veronica Mars - things like that. They each had a few racy moments I prefered to fast forward - but the entire premise of the show wasn't so yuk like Mad Men. I don't know if that makes sense. I also don't like anything to do iwth murder investigations - which rules out a lot too. Sherlock might work. Thanks for any recs.

Strike BG, insert Firefly. :D

ETA: And Sherlock is superb.

Really, who could choose between BSG and Firefly. Everyone really should watch both. The only benefit to BSG is that it got to finish its story. Yeah, I'll admit it, I cried when it was over, not just from the story but because it was OVER. WAHHHH!

To OP-

Yeah, if you don't like murder or sci-fy, the pickings get slim. I think that really just leaves Downton Abbey and comedies, that I can think of. Have you tried Damages? The whole season is basically a murder mystery, but it's more of a mystery and less Law and Order-ish. We liked Jericho but it did get canceled so the story is a bit incomplete. I've been looking at the BBC's Robin Hood, but, yeah, my list is long and my attention span and time are short.

I was too sensitive to finish out Prison Break or Breaking Bad.

We loved Lost, BG, Firefly, Supernatural, Legend of the Seeker (meh), Grimm and OUAT (might be on Netflix soon since season ending), X-Files, Torchwood, and Doctor Who. Of course, I'm a Sci-Fi fan. I will say that the ones above are not terribly Sci-Fi in the way that Stargate or Star Trek are. I consider them more straight fantasy. The Sci-Fi parts of BG are very minimal to the overarching plot. But that's just IMHO.

I guess I'm all over the map ~ LOVED Breaking Bad and Downton Abbey!

I like mysteries too, so thank you all for the recommends ~ needed something new.

I don't know if it's on Netflix, but the Sopranos got dh and I through a very dark time in our lives ~ something therapeutic about saying, "They are dead to me!"

Thanks again,

Julie

I haven't watched any of the shows you said you liked (other than a few episodes of Lost), so I don't know how helpful this will be but . . .

1. Firefly (yes, it's science fiction; watch anyway; Whedon writes great dialog)

2. Slings & Arrows (possibly the best TV show ever; a Canadian show about a Shakespearean theater company; must be able to tolerate swearing to enjoy; I'm not a huge fan of swearing, but this show is worth learning to deal with it)

3. Battlestar Galactica (it's a shame to miss acting this good)

4. Ballykissangel (BBC show about an English Catholic priest sent to a quirky Irish town; I can only vouch for the first three seasons)

5. Vicar of Dibley (when you need to laugh so hard you cry; BBC show about a female vicar who is called to a small quirky English town)

6. Numb3s (great characters)

I don't like sci fi much either, but I do like crime drama. My great discovery was that Crossing Jordan is now on Netflix (great show even if you don't like murder stuff), so I just signed up for Netflix. I also like Rizzoli & Isles a lot. DH and I have been working through the X-Files and Lone Gunmen series (even though I'm not much into the sci fi aspect), and our other favorites are The Office, Parks and Recreation, Raising Hope, Community, and Arrested Development. I also enjoyed the brief Women's Murder Club and Lipstick Jungle. DH and I watched Malcolm in the Middle and Scrubs sporadically when they were on, so maybe we'll check out those in full. I remember Ally McBeal being mildly funny when it was on, and we watched some of that. Burn Notice and Downton Abbey are on my to-try list.

I

4. Ballykissangel (BBC show about an English Catholic priest sent to a quirky Irish town; I can only vouch for the first three seasons)

5. Vicar of Dibley (when you need to laugh so hard you cry; BBC show about a female vicar who is called to a small quirky English town)

I couldn't find either of these on Netflix. Are they somewhere else?

I couldn't find either of these on Netflix. Are they somewhere else?

I know I've watched Ballyk on Netflix in the past. Frustratingly, shows come and go on instant watch. I've seen Ballyk come and go several times.

Vicar of Dibley, I'm not sure about. I think maybe we watched that one on DVD.

I guess I'm all over the map ~ LOVED Breaking Bad and Downton Abbey!

:iagree:

My dad actually recommended Breaking Bad to me, so that kept me watching past the first 2 episodes, and then I was hooked.

My list:

Downton Abbey

Foyle's War

Sherlock

Cranford

We loved MI-5, 24, Robin Hood and Numbers. Robin Hood is ok for kids, too. You be the judge of that- it's not bloody but there are BAD guys and bow/arrow deaths. MI-5 is definitely NOT for kids....Numbers, sometimes. 24 is violent, at times. We were running out of ideas for our 'TV-dates', so thanks for all the rec's.

:iagree:

My dad actually recommended Breaking Bad to me, so that kept me watching past the first 2 episodes, and then I was hooked.

My list:

Downton Abbey

Foyle's War

Sherlock

Cranford

Is Cranford streaming now? We watched a few episodes when we got the dvd's and enjoyed them (even dh!) I'll have to check it out:)

• 4 weeks later...

Doc Martin was the first series I watched on Netflix. Then I watched Tudors. LOVED them both.

Watching Bones now...and Sherlock Holmes.

There used to be more more pickings back when Netflix had an agreement with Starz. Hubby used to watch a lot from their offerings.

Downton Abbey...fabulous, too.