Menu

What dishwasher soap do you use?

We've only had a dishwasher since living in our current rental - just over a year. I've been buying Cascade, like my mother does. But, are there other reliable brands that are any less expensive? Our dishwasher is old and not so good at cleaning, so I can't skimp much here.

Thanks!

I don't know if it is less than Cascade but we use Palmolive ECO+ liquid...and it works GREAT and is better for the enviornment than standard detergents as it is phosphate free....hey, I gotta protect my delicious little salmons...LOL

PS.. I have also used other 'enviornmentally friendly' detergents and they work equally as well...though are a bit more spendy. :001_smile:

I've recently switched to the generic Walmart brand, but prior to that I used Sunlight which worked well. I also like Electrosol (sp), but it really depends on the machine.

Same here. I use the little soap cake things that Walmart makes. I've also used electrosol. I find both are just as good, if not better, than Cascade.

electrasol power ball tablet deals

their gel packs don't 'work' for me..the dishes always smell and taste like detergent

not had a problem with the tablets though

I've used Palmolive and walmart brand liquids..they have done okay as well, but sometimes leave a bit of that detergent smell/taste behind.

And the tablets are just so easy. Yep, sorry, I went for the convenience factor. My kids load the dishwasher..or rather...*a* kid...THE kid who would be most likely to make a HUGE mess with the liquid and find a way to get it all over him and everything else. hehe yeah. tablets are good ;)

I don't know if it is less than Cascade but we use Palmolive ECO+ liquid...and it works GREAT and is better for the enviornment than standard detergents as it is phosphate free....hey, I gotta protect my delicious little salmons...LOL

:

We use this as well. I have been happy with it.

We've only had a dishwasher since living in our current rental - just over a year. I've been buying Cascade, like my mother does. But, are there other reliable brands that are any less expensive? Our dishwasher is old and not so good at cleaning, so I can't skimp much here.

Thanks!

This is one area that I'm not willing to sacrifice results in. At our old house (with my new dishwasher) I could use the "green" detergents and get good results. This one at the rental, though...they ain't cutting it. I'm using Electrosol tabs with the rinse agent ball thingy & they're doing a great job.

I keep meaning to try my Charlie's laundry powder in there...because they say you can...but...it's laundry soap and, well, I haven't tried it yet.

*Jacques

nemo-jacques.jpg

I've been using Amway's auto dishwash stuff since 1987. Love it. Dishes are clean and sparkly, inside of the dishwasher is clean...great stuff. Economical, too.

A neighbor replaced an old dishwasher and the installer said that in his experience, dishwashers that had always had Amway auto dishwash used in them lasted far longer than other dishwashers whose owners used other brands.

We don't use a lot of detergent though.

The repair man came to our house one time because our dishwasher was squealing. He said it was because we used to use the tablets. He said that the tablets have 2x as much detergent as you need to clean your dishes and that the noise was from excess build up.

Since then I buy good detergent, but use only a tablespoonful in each compartment. We don't rinse our dishes unless they have real food on them and then most of the time we just scrape them. The Cascade Complete works great!

The cheap Walmart generic brand has been a Consumers Reports Best Buy for at least two of the past four years (whenever I look, there it is *again*). I only fill my little dishwasher containers about 1/2 full.

I am going to start to use vinegar as my rinse aid vs the commercial brands. Sometimes we still have water spots due to our very hard water locally.

BTW, vinegar works very nicely as a fabric rinse as well. I'm finding all sorts of uses for my gallon of vinegar!

Ecover Automatic Dishwasher Tablets

I watch for them to go on sale, comes out to about ten cents a load (sometimes even less). I often felt with powders or liquids that some was wasted due to teenagers or Dad using too much (but, hey, if they are doing the dishes I was not complaining...laughs).

They really work well and have no chlorine, phosphates and other things that are harmful to us and our environment.

Ecover Automatic Dishwasher Tablets

I watch for them to go on sale, comes out to about ten cents a load (sometimes even less). I often felt with powders or liquids that some was wasted due to teenagers or Dad using too much (but, hey, if they are doing the dishes I was not complaining...laughs).

They really work well and have no chlorine, phosphates and other things that are harmful to us and our environment.

PS.. I have also used other 'enviornmentally friendly' detergents and they work equally as well...though are a bit more spendy. :001_smile:

This is what I just switched to also. It actually is a little less expensive than Cascade (here, anyway).

Costco sells the complete and it is so cheap as compared to the grocery stores.

A few years back I read a consumer report or something, warning about using lemon dishwasher powder. That is what causes that annoying etching in your glasses! I used to replace my glasses every few years. Since I stopped using lemon powder, I have not had to replace my glasses!

Lately we've been using the Sam's Club brand. I tried the natural stuff and it just didn't work in my machine.

Costco sells the complete and it is so cheap as compared to the grocery stores.

A few years back I read a consumer report or something, warning about using lemon dishwasher powder. That is what causes that annoying etching in your glasses! I used to replace my glasses every few years. Since I stopped using lemon powder, I have not had to replace my glasses!

Interesting. I'll have to tell my parents. They've been complaining about this forever!!!

Oh -and where in W. MI are you?? I grew up in Sturgis!

Same here. I use the little soap cake things that Walmart makes. I've also used electrosol. I find both are just as good, if not better, than Cascade.

Thanks for posting this! I use the Cascade/Dawn gel packs and wondered about the Wal-Mart ones because they are cheaper.

I was using Ecover powder, but I have since switched to Melaleuca. I'm pleased with the results. Probably not as natural as the Ecover, but the dishes actually smell nice when you open the door.

I've gotten rid of chlorine bleach and phosphates as well.

Thanks!

I've been using 7th Generation, so I'm no help on the less expensive front, but I used the store brand powder from Target with three drops of dish washing liquid detergent (Dawn, 7th Gen, Palmolive) added with great success.

I was completely out today and the dishwasher was full. We were able to find the Palmolive Eco+ at the grocery store w/in walking distance, and it was on sale for $3.50 per bottle. I was pleased with that. Jury's still out on how it washed the dishes (we haven't unloaded the machine yet). :D

Thanks for posting this! I use the Cascade/Dawn gel packs and wondered about the Wal-Mart ones because they are cheaper.

Someone here once mentioned that you can add a dash of your own dishwashing liquid to your detergent to get the effect of the gel packs. It seems to work pretty well for our older dishwasher. I use Cascade Complete powder and just squirt a tsp or so of Dawn in each little dish on top of the powder. You don't want to do more than that though...BUBBLES! (I've only had that happen twice :001_huh:)