Menu

Let's talk about something highly controversial: Bicyclists!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest gripe is when they follow BOTH the rules of traffice and pedestrians.

They ride in the car lane, then speed through the light with the people. :confused:

I never know what to do when I see a bike on my right when I need to turn right. Do I treat them like a car and turn on red, or wait for them like I would a person. Sometimes they are on the sidewalk and sometimes they are on the roadside. It changes from bike to bike and (I think ) if they are late to something. The only way for this to work is to have DEFINED bike rules and punishments.

:iagree: I was taught to walk my bike through intersections and to give hand signals when turning. I rarely see either.

Edited by Bradford Academy

I don't see it as a kindness to the poor issue, Denise. IME, it's simply more of an attitude of, "Hey, I'm IMPORTANT and you better not mess with me!" vs "OMG, I can't believe I have to ride a bike on the road. I hope nobody runs me over!"

I don't understand why it should be legal for a bike to cause traffic to pile up on a two-lane road because they're moving so slowly (compared to cars and the posted speed limit), when the same thing would be a ticketable offense for a car. If it's dangerous for me to go 12mph in my car, because I would impede traffic flow, isn't it equally dangerous for someone on a bike to go 12mph?* It seems like it would be much safer for the cyclist to move over to the shoulder (or stop!) than to keep going in such a situation, but I rarely see that.

*Totally guessing on the speed, btw. I have no clue how fast most cyclists ride. I just know it's much slower than the 35mph posted speed limit on my road.

Agree. They are a danger to themselves and others.

I have generally nothing against bicyclists if they are abiding by the same traffic rules as drivers.

I really do want to know if it is legal in CA to ride against the flow of traffic, meaning if I am on the right side of a street, a bicyclist is coming at me also on the right side, going in the opposite direction. This drives me batty and I think it's very dangerous, especially at night...

This is illegal. Bikes should follow the same rules as cars.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/bicycleriding.html

Honestly? They annoy the crap out of me. I'm fine with it if they stay off to the side of the road, but come on people! I have a car. I can squish you. It won't be on purpose, but if you mess up riding your bike, I can squish you dead. It drives me nuts when they DON'T stay off to the side of the road, or they double-up and ride next to each other. In my mind, it's all part of natural selection. If you truly think it's a good idea to ride your bike with tons of cars whizzing by.........

:hurray: Yep!

I live in Japan, we have narrow roads, lots of traffic and pretty much everyone rides a bike. Some with traffic, some against, very old and very young, very expensive bike, some not so much. We also deal with varying degrees of motorcycles and mopeds vyou learn to adjust and watch for everything. My husband bikes to work when he's here. Somedays it's faster than driving. I think it's a matter of being respectful and learning to share the road with everyone. As for cyclists holding up traffic, you just wait to go around. Ivevlearned a lot of patience from the Japanese.

I have lots of questions. :D

1) Do you or any other adults in your house cycle on roads with car traffic?

Yes, I do. See my siggy. My Dh does. My DD(19) does as well.

2) Do you believe that bicyclists have as much right to the road as cars or other vehicles?

Yes, I do.

3) Are there many ADULTS riding bikes recreationally where you live? Do you have bike lanes?

Yes, for our size of town (30,000) there are quite a few. Every night will have 20-35 people riding up and down our street. I always meet other riders when I am out and about.

4) How do you feel about cyclists riding on two-lane, rural roads and slowing down traffic? Should this be legal?

I do it so it doesn't bother me one bit. Yes, it should be legal. There are biking rules /laws that govern what a cyclist should do if traffic builds up. I have had more trouble waiting on the farmer and his tractor than I have ever had (or caused) by a cyclist.

5)What about on multi-lane highways with no designated bike lanes? Should they be allowed to ride in the emergency lane or in the slow lane?

I don't ride on highways and I am not sure it is a good idea. No, they shouldn't be allowed in the emergency lanes.

6) Have you ever noticed (as I have :tongue_smilie:) that the most annoying cyclists tend to be riding high-end bikes and wearing super high-tech helmets and clothing? It's never the obviously poor guy riding his kid's bike because his car is broken down or his license got suspended, LOL.

Actually, the cyclists I find most annoying are the once-in-a-while riders who don't know the laws or rules of the road. The people I know who have the mopre expensive bikes and wear the cute little outfits are the ones who know and follow the rules.

I would be interested to read up on just how healthy it is to breathe in all of that car exhaust while getting all of that exercise cycling out with the cars.

The more cyclists there are on the road, the less exhaust there is for everyone. You're welcome.

The more cyclists there are on the road, the less exhaust there is for everyone. You're welcome.

True. I just think most people are not going to give up their cars any time soon in any significant numbers to affect this situation for cyclists.

Nope, not safe!

2) Do you believe that bicyclists have as much right to the road as cars or other vehicles?

Yes, I do, but I think there should be lanes for them if it is to be allowed, and it should not be allowed where there are not bike lanes...especially if the road is very busy, windy, or hilly. If it is flat and straight and not hilly, with good visibility, I think riding without a bike lane is ok.

3) Are there many ADULTS riding bikes recreationally where you live? Do you have bike lanes?

Yes, lots and lots and lots! We are a biking state. Some places have bike lanes, mostly in the cities.

4) How do you feel about cyclists riding on two-lane, rural roads and slowing down traffic? Should this be legal?

It is a big problem where I live 3/4 of the year and it is horrid. It is very curvy (lots of completely blind corners), very steep/hilly and very dangerous. There are no shoulders even, the white line is the edge of the road (sometimes there isnt a white line, the road just ends) There is no speed limit so cars are usually going about 55-60mph. I really think they should either make bike lanes or outlaw it. It is just dangerous for everyone. Even when you are going slower to round a hairpin turn, you are still going faster than a biker. Plus if another car chooses to pass a biker in the other direction, it causes head on collisions between the cars (since nobody can see who is coming around the bend) and sometimes ends up involving the cyclist as well. This is why my family doesnt bike on the road where we live.

5)What about on multi-lane highways with no designated bike lanes? Should they be allowed to ride in the emergency lane or in the slow lane?

This is not legal in our state.

6) Have you ever noticed (as I have ) that the most annoying cyclists tend to be riding high-end bikes and wearing super high-tech helmets and clothing?

I would say yes, but it is not the solo driver with this equipment usually, it is the pack of them with this equipment. Or worse, the family with the double kid stroller attachment to their bike riding on our hairpin country road. It is terrifying.

Did a cyclist run over your pet bunny or something? Why so hostile?

A friend's mom was killed by a cyclist while out jogging. A prof friend's child was nearly flattened by a cyclist on campus. It happened so often that he started carrying a baseball bat with him. And I lived in a Colorado town with so many self righteous, dangerous cyclists on the road that driving was slow and hazardous. And there were also so many cars still that the air pollution was not gone by any means. I think it is dangerous and impractical to mix cyclists and cars. Wanting it to work out doesn't mean it actually works out in reality.

A friend's mom was killed by a cyclist while out jogging. A prof friend's child was nearly flattened by a cyclist on campus.

I am sorry about your friend. But we really don't want to get into a debate how many more bicyclists and pedestrians get killed by cars each year.

I think it is dangerous and impractical to mix cyclists and cars. Wanting it to work out doesn't mean it actually works out in reality.

In other countries it does. But there I have not observed as much hatred and vitriol directed towards bicyclists as in the US. Hm....

There are bike lanes here. It was very annoying when one guy who was riding the white line dividing the bike lane (almost as wide as a regular driving lane, probably at least 8 ft. wide) and the vehicle lane. He was swerving slightly, as bikes will do if you're going too slow, INTO my lane instead of away from it - he was 8 ft. away from the curb. I drive a big SUV, and almost clipped him with my mirror because there was traffic beside me and I had nowhere to go. We were not even near an intersection where he might have been trying to get over to turn left. He was decked out in all the expensive gear, on a expensive bike and just about became a splat on the road because he was an idiot.

However, I try not to judge all bikers by one. I think they should be legal but I think pedestrians and bikes should go against traffic if there is no set lane for them. I also think it would be a LOT safer for everyone if they had a second path inside the sidewalk for bikes. Driving lanes/boulevard/pedestrian sidewalk/boulevard/bike path...in my ideal world.

And, having grown up in farming country....bikes on the shoulder of the road are much easier to get around than huge farming equipment lumbering along. I have no problem with them in a rural setting at all. In urban centers where traffic is a lot heavier is where the issues start to arise.

1) Do you or any other adults in your house cycle on roads with car traffic? Not here. We have, in the past, only in our neighborhood.

2) Do you believe that bicyclists have as much right to the road as cars or other vehicles? Depends on the road.

3) Are there many ADULTS riding bikes recreationally where you live? Do you have bike lanes? Yes, and yes.

4) How do you feel about cyclists riding on two-lane, rural roads and slowing down traffic? Should this be legal? Yep.

5)What about on multi-lane highways with no designated bike lanes? Should they be allowed to ride in the emergency lane or in the slow lane? No. It's hard enough to stay alive in a full sized vehicle. I wouldn't even take a "smart car" onto freeways.

6) Have you ever noticed (as I have ) that the most annoying cyclists tend to be riding high-end bikes and wearing super high-tech helmets and clothing? It's never the obviously poor guy riding his kid's bike because his car is broken down or his license got suspended, LOL. Yep. Either that, or teenagers trying to act "cool".

Edited by fraidycat

I would be interested to read up on just how healthy it is to breathe in all of that car exhaust while getting all of that exercise cycling out with the cars.

DH and I have wondered the same thing before. I could barely pick my jaw up off the floor the day we saw a jogger, running in the lane of traffic down a very-well known, 7-8 lane highway with bumper-to-bumper cars, multiple intersections, including 2 interstate interchanges, and umpteen parking lot entrances. I'm pretty sure she did her lungs far more damage than any cardiac benefit she got from that. :confused:

There are plenty of backroads around here. Lots of very low-traffic areas, where I'd think it would be great to cycle. I don't get people choosing to take very dangerous routes for fun.

:angry::angry:

Yes. It's hard to go 10 or 20 miles without getting out on the road.

Yes. However, because the bicyclist is the one who's going to be royally hurting should he/she get hit, I think he/she should be extremely careful.

No. This rural community doesn't see many running or cycling enthusiasts out on its roads.

I do this all the time, but I don't slow down traffic. I try to pick roads that are not as heavily driven.

No. The highways here have very wide shoulders. It's actually a great place to ride.

6) Have you ever noticed (as I have :tongue_smilie:) that the most annoying cyclists tend to be riding high-end bikes and wearing super high-tech helmets and clothing? It's never the obviously poor guy riding his kid's bike because his car is broken down or his license got suspended, LOL.

Yep. I've noticed this in the "big" city a couple hours away from me. They have tons of bike lanes there, but the cyclists are riding three abreast or completely outside the bike lane. Or they blow through stop signs, not the least bit concerned that there might not be an attentive driver in my SUV. :angry:

Edited by Hikin' Mama
Huge glaring error. :/

There are plenty of backroads around here. Lots of very low-traffic areas, where I'd think it would be great to cycle. I don't get people choosing to take very dangerous routes for fun.

How do you know they use them for fun and not in order to get from A to B?

Back roads are nice, but if they don't go to your workplace, you can't use them for your commute.

I think it's awesome that bikes are commonplace elsewhere. Realistically, though, the US is a car-based nation. Most towns and cities were not developed with pedestrian or cyclist safety in mind. That is not going to change for *most* of us, regardless of how many people suddenly start riding bikes on roads.

Barring of course, some sort of S.M. Stirling post-apocalyptic change where internal combustion engines no longer work. :D

Yes to all of your questions. Our area has a large "biking" population and has done a decent job in getting bike lanes on many streets. If I'm not mistaken, in our state bicyclists not only have the same rights as other motorists, but are actually required by law to ride in accordance to auto traffic laws i.e., drive in the actual lane, stop at stop lights, etc. Most ride on the shoulder but I do see some actually come into the lane at a stop light/sign, and then move back to the bicycle lane/shoulder. I believe that bikes are not allowed on interstates or other roads where there is a minimum speed limit.

Ds is finishing up his BSA cycling merit badge next week. I'll have to check with him on the specific laws.

Obviously, I can't know for certain where people are going. I do know, however, that the number of cyclists out on the roads skyrockets in the evenings and on weekends. I've yet to see any of those decked-out cyclists I mentioned carrying bags or packs other than hydration, so I doubt any significant number of them are commuters. I've also never seen a bike rack outside a place of business, other than a few public ones in the downtown area.

Maybe they all fold up their bikes and take them inside and hide them before showering and changing into the clothes they keep at work. I guess I'll never know for sure.

have lots of questions. :D

1) Do you or any other adults in your house cycle on roads with car traffic? No, not anymore

2) Do you believe that bicyclists have as much right to the road as cars or other vehicles? Yes

3) Are there many ADULTS riding bikes recreationally where you live? Do you have bike lanes? Not on my side of town; yes

4) How do you feel about cyclists riding on two-lane, rural roads and slowing down traffic? Should this be legal? I don't care about the above as long as they don't obstruct traffic.

5)What about on multi-lane highways with no designated bike lanes? Should they be allowed to ride in the emergency lane or in the slow lane? I would think it would be too dangerous for both of those

6) Have you ever noticed (as I have :tongue_smilie:) that the most annoying cyclists tend to be riding high-end bikes and wearing super high-tech helmets and clothing? It's never the obviously poor guy riding his kid's bike because his car is broken down or his license got suspended, LOL. Very much so. They don't stop for red lights, stop signs, get off at the crosswalks to cross, ride in packs and block up traffic.

Let's talk about something controversial: Motorists!!!

It seems these days that motorists have the most entitled attitudes ever. Heaven forbid you try to cross the street when the little man says walk. Someone might be trying to run a red light.

And when it's raining and you have kids in tow while pushing your groceries home, it would be nice if the motorists don't honk while you cross the street. I mean, after all, the motorist is in his warm, dry auto. Yes, really.

And for the record, talking, texting or trying to dress and put on makeup while running a red light during a left turn is just plain wrong whether there are pedestrians in the crosswalk or not.

People, Please!

Signed,

Trying to live another day out and about on foot.

It is dangerous, but on regular roads (not highways/interstates) it is the vehicle driver's responsibility to watch out for the cyclist. This is the same as for pedestrians, utility workers, police and fire officers at the roadside, slower cars, anything that requires carefull alert driving.

Around here, the statement that "it is the vehicle driver's responsibility to watch out for ..." has been taken to the extreme imho. Car drivers are expected to yield to anybody, where ever, when ever that anybody else wants them to. I have had pedestrians look me in the eye and mozey out into my lane, almost daring me to challenge them or expect them to at least mozey a little faster. Bicyclists don't seem to care when there are multiple cars piled up behind them -- they simply don't move over so cars can pass. I've seen car drivers stop mid-block with little warning to others to allow people to jaywalk -- to me, that's extremely dangerous.

When I was growing up, I was taught to be careful around cars because they can hurt you. That's not the attitude that folks around here have today at all.

Of course the cyclist should limit the risk by following the road rules, chosing roads with bike lanes, wearing bright clothing especially at night, and having the good manners to allow traffic pass them rather than build up. The safest place is the middle to right half of the right lane. They should not hug the shoulder, this encourages unsafe passing, increases risk of road hazards (trash, holes, etc) and makes them harder to see.

This is what I believe "sharing the road" should look like: cars respect bicyclists (or joggers or walkers or people pushing strollers), and bicyclists respect cars. Unfortunately, that's not my reality. As a driver, I'm always on the lookout not only to avoid injury, but just as much to avoid lawsuit.

CroppinIt, there are certain neighborhoods around town known for people who willfully put themselves in front of cars in order to get hit! They collect the insurance and hope they don't get injured too seriously. Unfortunately, a few have gotten killed doing this. It's common knowledge, and I feel terrible for those who feel so desperate that they'd do such a thing.

I've seen the "look you in the eye and keep going" thing so many times it's not funny, particularly in parking lots. I think there's entitlement issues all around, from pedestrians to cyclists to the people texting while driving, to the guy in his big dually truck who thinks everyone else should bow down and cower before him, to the moms in minivans who don't look before they back up.

Nope, because then they run over pedestrians.

The suburban sidewalks I've lived near haven't had enough pedestrian traffic for bikes to be a problem. Obviously, downtown in a city would be different. The county where I live has many greenways (paved trails through the woods) that bikes and walkers/runners manage to share. Unfortunately, I don't think the greenways ever lead to jobs or stores. So people can use them for exercise, but still have to drive every where they want to go.

I think that in many areas, sidewalk traffic is low enough that a trial run of allowing bikes could be allowed.

CroppinIt, there are certain neighborhoods around town known for people who willfully put themselves in front of cars in order to get hit! They collect the insurance and hope they don't get injured too seriously. Unfortunately, a few have gotten killed doing this. It's common knowledge, and I feel terrible for those who feel so desperate that they'd do such a thing.

I've seen the "look you in the eye and keep going" thing so many times it's not funny, particularly in parking lots. I think there's entitlement issues all around, from pedestrians to cyclists to the people texting while driving, to the guy in his big dually truck who thinks everyone else should bow down and cower before him, to the moms in minivans who don't look before they back up.

Thank you!!! While I hate that you're dealing with this too, I'm happy that it's not just me being overly sensitive. Sounds like you and I are dealing with exactly the same problem. If everyone would just follow the rules and laws, none of this would be an issue.

I totally agree. It is really more a manners thing than a cyclist/motorist/pedestrian thing.

I am sorry about your friend. But we really don't want to get into a debate how many more bicyclists and pedestrians get killed by cars each year.

In other countries it does. But there I have not observed as much hatred and vitriol directed towards bicyclists as in the US. Hm....

Maybe in other countries the cyclists generally have better manners? There are enough cyclists here who drive in packs, clog up the roads, and flout road rules putting themselves and automobile drivers in danger, that in certain parts of the country one sees a cyclist and subconsciously prepares to do battle. We have a ton of cyclists here in AZ and on the whole they are well mannered and play nicely with cars. South Florida cyclists are often obnoxious as are many of the ones I encountered on our travels through some of the prettier places in Appalachia. A lot depends on the conventions of where you live and whether you are following a pair of cyclists or a club.

...to the moms in minivans who don't look before they back up.

It's interesting that you say this. I've almost hit two people at different times in my old van (the one without the backup camera) because I'm 5-2 and just couldn't see them. I always check all three mirrors and look behind me, then back slowly and with considerable paranoia, but I'm so thankful they installed the backup camera to give me the extra assurance that someone isn't ignoring (or simply didn't see) my reverse lights. Both times it happened, they were men that were old enough to have known better and both times they looked p*ssed and slammed the back of my van with their hands instead of moving out of the way. I've learned to make of point of teaching my children what the reverse lights on a car mean and to *stop* well clear of a car ahead if you see them turn on.

When I was growing up, I was taught to be careful around cars because they can hurt you. That's not the attitude that folks around here have today at all.

This is what I believe "sharing the road" should look like: cars respect bicyclists (or joggers or walkers or people pushing strollers), and bicyclists respect cars. Unfortunately, that's not my reality. As a driver, I'm always on the lookout not only to avoid injury, but just as much to avoid lawsuit.

Don't even get me started on the pair of moms who push the jogging strollers in the bike lane while wearing roller blades. Oy Vey!

Don't even get me started on the pair of moms who push the jogging strollers in the bike lane while wearing roller blades. Oy Vey!

:eek:

Are you kidding me?! I have to say I've never seen that but what is a person thinking?

Let's talk about something controversial: Motorists!!!

People, Please!

Signed,

Trying to live another day out and about on foot.

Stopped at a stop sign the other day, I was honked at because I was allowing a pedestrian and a kid on a scooter to cross at an intersection. Yeah, roads just bring out the worst in people, I think.

Obviously, I can't know for certain where people are going. I do know, however, that the number of cyclists out on the roads skyrockets in the evenings and on weekends. I've yet to see any of those decked-out cyclists I mentioned carrying bags or packs other than hydration, so I doubt any significant number of them are commuters. I've also never seen a bike rack outside a place of business, other than a few public ones in the downtown area.

Maybe they all fold up their bikes and take them inside and hide them before showering and changing into the clothes they keep at work. I guess I'll never know for sure.

My husband is active duty military and obviously you can't wear camo to ride ( well, you can but it would be a little hot). He leaves a uniform at work and changes there. He doesn't shower before work because he's an aircraft mech and they aren't typically pretty boys who need to blow out their hair before work. :lol:

That being said, who cares if they ride only for recreation anyway? Beats the heck out of sitting on their arses in front of the boob tube. :tongue_smilie: I'll take my active, pain in the rear, cyclist hubby over a couch potato or gamer anyday! :drool5::001_wub:

:eek:

Are you kidding me?! I have to say I've never seen that but what is a person thinking?

No joke. We used to see them a few times a week but haven't lately. My daughter said she heard some of the moms she babysits for mention seeing them too. Maybe they heard some of the negative feedback and decided to knock it off.

Yes, dh.

yes

a good many. no bike lanes

I believe that they should be allowed and encouraged. They should obey the same rules as tractors and other slow moving traffic. Pull over and let cars pass when possible especially if you are causing a backlog.

Yes. Interstates being the one exception. Riding in the emergency lane is often not feasible for cyclist because of all the rocks and trash there.

Nah, can't say I've ever noticed that. The most annoying to me are the kids who are helmetless and not following the rules of the road.

yes, it is illegal for adults to barrel their commuter bikes down the sidewalk. If we want to ride our bikes, we have to use the road. My husband does so recreationally and for commuting. Me just for a little recreation and nearby errands.

Yes, of course.

Yes on both counts. Lots of cyclists. A large and growing number of bike lanes.

Pass them, like you would a slow car, a slow oversized truck or a garbage truck that was starting and stoping. That is what I do. Not a problem. Usually they take the right side so you can give them 3 feet and go around them.

Many highways prohibit bikes and I think that is wise. I do like to see bike lanes on the shoulders where safe.

Annoying people in general tend to be the ones that show off or overcompensate with their consumer purchases. Same as the aggressive dude driving a huge hummer in the suburbs. Bicyclists are no different. That said, there are many times when quality is important in cycling and that does not come free. It does come far cheaper than the very cheapest car however.

My opinion in summary: Bicyclists and drivers can coexist if they each follow the rules of the road and don't act like they own it. I do wish more people would be empowered to stop their short commutes in single occupancy vehicle cars. If more people cycled to work we would have a host of personal and public benefits:

-Less pollution

-Cost savings that can then be used for investment or spent in the economy.

-Increased fitness and healthfulness and the lower healthcare costs that would result.

-Less depression from increased activity.

Edited by kijipt

Yes, as do our children who before being allowed to ride on the road have taken a road cycling 101 course, studied our state bicycle safety laws as well as able to recite our state's driving rules and laws.

Yes, in our state Bicycles have the same rights as cars on the road.

We are training for a century ride in the fall so yes we see lots of other recreation cyclists.

A car is required to allowed to pass a bicycle providing a 3 foot distance between the bicycle and the vehicle. On a two lane rural road this will mean the car will be forced to cross the double yellow line and this is an allowed exception to not crossing the double yellow.

We do not ride on highways but in regards to roads with a shoulder and two lanes of traffic in a single direction in addition to turn lanes. We will not ride in the shoulder or turn lanes. We will ride on the far right side of the road in the roadway. This is a safety issue for myself as well as the cars that are sharing the road with us. The shoulder is often littered to debris that can cause the rider to lose control of their bike (small stones can do real damage!) also if I am coming in and out of the shoulder it is a hazard and the cars can not anticipate or even register any signals provided about the intended path of travel.

Also remember that just because it is a bicycle does not necessarily mean that we are slower traffic. When riding with the kids we maintain a 10 mph pace, when just the adult 13 mph the top speeds we have reached are 25 to 30 mph.

As one who has the high end bike, the high tech helmet and clothing those choices are all made for my safety and goals. And YES I am annoying because I know my rights as a cyclist and will not hesitate to use them. That includes calling our local non emergency number with car make, model and license plate number for any vehicles that do not adhere to the rules of the road regarding cyclists. Our police have asked for members of the cycling clubs to do this and they will show up at the vehicle owners home to provide education on sharing the road.

South Florida cyclists are often obnoxious as are many of the ones I encountered on our travels through some of the prettier places in Appalachia. A lot depends on the conventions of where you live and whether you are following a pair of cyclists or a club.

Florida DRIVERS are hands down the most dangerous group I have ever seen. I observed more accidents while in Florida for a month than I do in a YEAR at home.

I don't understand why it should be legal for a bike to cause traffic to pile up on a two-lane road because they're moving so slowly (compared to cars and the posted speed limit), when the same thing would be a ticketable offense for a car. If it's dangerous for me to go 12mph in my car, because I would impede traffic flow, isn't it equally dangerous for someone on a bike to go 12mph?* It seems like it would be much safer for the cyclist to move over to the shoulder (or stop!) than to keep going in such a situation, but I rarely see that.

WHY aren't you PASSING them? Just saying. If I see a little old lady doing 25 in a 45 zone, I pass unless it is a double line/no passing zone. No passing zones are short. Just go around them. Give them three feet of space to their left when you do.

Florida DRIVERS are hands down the most dangerous group I have ever seen. I observed more accidents while in Florida for a month than I do in a YEAR at home.

I don't disagree. I was born in Ft Lauderdale and lived there until I was 29. Too many Florida drivers (retirees coming from the city, refugees who never drove until they arrived) are novices. Then you have the tourists who never know where they are going, people who are too old to drive safely, the rich kids in the expensive and powerful cars, as well as drivers from all over the country who bring their regional driving habits and conventions with them...and well...it's a mess. I don't miss it AT ALL. I'm sure a lot of obnoxious cyclist behavior is a reaction to bad Florida drivers, but it isn't doing the cyclists any favors, KWIM?

I think they have a right to some road space, except where it's illegal (i.e., on the freeway). I think they should show some courtesy and ride as far to the right as practical, except when making a left turn. I have and will ride my bike in the road and try to be considerate, but I will not apologize for using a mode of transportation that is legal, statistically less dangerous, healthier, cheaper, and better for the environment than a car.

It does bug me when a bike is positioned where the car traffic cannot pass. The last time this happened, it was definitely a fancy-pants bike athlete and I was trying to get to church on time. There was no reason I could see that he needed to block the entire lane of traffic. But usually, people around here are considerate, other than the occasional self-absorbed teen.

I think it's awesome that bikes are commonplace elsewhere. Realistically, though, the US is a car-based nation. Most towns and cities were not developed with pedestrian or cyclist safety in mind. That is not going to change for *most* of us, regardless of how many people suddenly start riding bikes on roads.

Barring of course, some sort of S.M. Stirling post-apocalyptic change where internal combustion engines no longer work. :D

Not all the places where biking is now common were always that way. Amsterdam, IIRC, didn't have a particularly high rate of bike use at one time, but they made a decision to try to increase non-car methods of travel and reduce car use. Now something like more than 80% of trips are made by means other than private vehicles.

It can be done, but cities have to want it and plan it and manage it.

I don't disagree. I was born in Ft Lauderdale and lived there until I was 29. Too many Florida drivers (retirees coming from the city, refugees who never drove until they arrived) are novices. Then you have the tourists who never know where they are going, people who are too old to drive safely, the rich kids in the expensive and powerful cars, as well as drivers from all over the country who bring their regional driving habits and conventions with them...and well...it's a mess. I don't miss it AT ALL. I'm sure a lot of obnoxious cyclist behavior is a reaction to bad Florida drivers, but it isn't doing the cyclists any favors, KWIM?

I never saw many cyclists but I was not in S. Florida much. So I have no opinion. But street safety is very much a two way thing. Drivers need to share the road. Bicyclists need to follow the rules of the road like they are driving cars (stop for lights and pedestrians, no shooting on and off sidewalks, using signals for turning etc.)

I have 2 kids, 1 who is too big for the bike trailer and too small to cycle himself for long distances, so of course like most American moms, I drive around town A LOT- classes, activities, church stuff, doctor's appointments, Costco etc. The only carless trips I make with the kids are walking or short distance bike stuff where my 8 year old can manage. In 7+ years of this type of driving, I have only ever observed 2 bad cyclists outside of the downtown area, 1 of whom I had to literally threaten to call the police because he was convinced I had tried to hit him and started screaming and threatening to kill me. I did almost hit him- it was only by the grace of God and my quick reflexes that I did not. But the reason I almost hit him is because he barreled off of a sidewalk that was hidden by bushes, against the red walk light while I was making a legal right turn on a green light. He was on one of those electric bikes to boot so why in the h@ll he thought he was entitled to wide on the sidewalk is baffling, to say nothing of running the light. So I see why drivers are worried about certain cyclists. This dude was obviously crazypants. The only place I see bikes often breaking the rules of the road are the downtown bike messengers. Many of those boys take their ever loving lives in their hands- darting between traffic, squeezing though gaps between buses and the sidewalk, generally acting like they are invincible. But honestly, I think that is par for the course in a crowded downtown area and more indicative of their relative youth and skill than because they are on cyclists. A lot of 19 year olds think they are invincible.

I will never forget the insanity of the drivers in Florida though. We saw one car that had gone into the air and landed on the highway straight up off the road. The whole front end had crumpled and somehow it had landed perfectly balanced, perpendicular from the road. There were at least 8 cars involved in that accident. I can hardly bring myself to drive a car there. There is literally nothing that would convince me to ride a bike on the roads there unless I was in the middle of nowhere and did not see a lot of cars.

Edited by kijipt

No

Yes, but I believe they should be obeying the laws which are in place for their own safety not playing chicken with cars hoping the drivers will notice them. I was stopped at a four way intersection one time. I had a stop sign and directly across from me had a stop sign. The cross street didn't have stop signs and didn't have a lot of visibility in one direction. I was signaling a left hand turn and had started to go when I realized that a couple of bikers had come up behind me ONE OF THEM ON MY LEFT HAND SIDE to go straight across the intersection without stopping at all. I see similar things all the time.

Yes, we have a lot of bike race clubs in the area and you see packs of them out riding anytime the weather is decent. There aren't any bike lanes in my area.

If they obey the laws - stay to the right, ride single file, stick with roads that give them adequate shoulder space to ride - they shouldn't cause too long of a back-up since it shouldn't be hard to pass them. We have one road right outside my neighborhood that is extremely winding, hilly with a lot of blind turns, no sidewalk, no real shoulder and the bikers for some reason seem to love it. There isn't anyplace on this entire road where it's a passing lane.

This is a road where there are at least 3 other ways around to get to the any of same places that will offer better shoulders and less traffic.

Bikers aren't allowed on highways here and I've never seen them try it. With the busy traffic we have, that would be crazy to even try.

Yes, that definitely seems to be the case here. The bikers who are in racing clubs are the lunatics.

WHY aren't you PASSING them? Just saying. If I see a little old lady doing 25 in a 45 zone, I pass unless it is a double line/no passing zone. No passing zones are short. Just go around them. Give them three feet of space to their left when you do.

Most of the roads around here don't have passing zones or have very limited ones. They are winding, hilly, with lots of trees so you can't see very far ahead.

The suburban sidewalks I've lived near haven't had enough pedestrian traffic for bikes to be a problem. Obviously, downtown in a city would be different. The county where I live has many greenways (paved trails through the woods) that bikes and walkers/runners manage to share. Unfortunately, I don't think the greenways ever lead to jobs or stores. So people can use them for exercise, but still have to drive every where they want to go.

I think that in many areas, sidewalk traffic is low enough that a trial run of allowing bikes could be allowed.

In some places, instead of a bike lane being part of the road, it is an extension of the sidewalk, built up to the same level with a curb between it and the road. I think that is probably a much better solution in high traffic areas.

In some suburban neighbourhoods too they have made the whole road the sidewalk, all on one level. Cars have to go very slowly once they turn into those residential areas so it becomes much safer for pedestrians and bikes.

But the main think about bike safety is the more bikes there are on the road the better because then cars and bikes are used to dealing with each other.