Menu

"How Women Unknowingly Emasculate Men"

Article

I just find this point of view so shocking. I consider myself quite conservative but to blame the emasculation of men on the way women dress is so . . . degrading for men.

While, I do believe the fashions of today definitey show no respect for private intimacy and respect of women; I would never say women "unknowingly emasculate men"

Discuss :D

ETA: Me and my DH have been discussing heavily lately how it does seem that popular culture emasculates the male identity. Even Disney channel comedy sitcoms always shows the males completely incompetent and unable to handle day to day issues without the assistance of their female half.. Still don't think we can all blame this emasculation on the sole factor of provocative dress.. or am I missing an important point in that article?!

Edited by Mandylubug

The article mystifies me. It doesn't seem to be a very clear exposition of anything.

What is arousing or titilating is so culturally defined. Is it bared breasts? Is it an ankle? Is it a tight skirt? Whose fashions are appropriate and whose are not?

I don't understand how not responding sexually to just any person on the street or in your workplace, say, is emasculating, either.

It's not emasculating; it's tempting. What's arguably borderline emasculating is the social requirement not to apparently notice when a woman flaunts "the goods", but it's really just a natural consequence of tension between the way women attract men and recent historical developments.

There are reasons why women wear revealing / provocative dress. They range from a conscious desire to titillate or arouse or at least attract, to simply trying to be in fashion. There's a continuum of reasons for stimulating dress, and how stimulating the dress actually is, and of course perceptions of the dress.

It's definitely true, though, that not all women think through the full range of perceptions that their clothing choices will likely cause in male viewers, and even more true that they don't think through all the reasons they dress they way they do. They just do it, perhaps relishing a certain degree of attention but not giving it more thought than that. Many men also dress fashionably for the same reasons, though the focus in male dress tends not to be on revealing parts of the anatomy as much but in choosing styles that convey dash or dynamism, etc. Sexualism is much more blatant in female styles.

I feel that individual women are not to blame for causing a situation where men are forced to refrain from expressing the very reactions that the women's clothing more or less intentionally causes. It's a product of fairly recent legal and social developments. It's certainly not emasculating, since men's manhood doesn't depend on violating current social and legal rules; it's merely a type of inconsistency. I don't think most men would want women to cover up, either. :D

I don't understand how not responding sexually to just any person on the street or in your workplace, say, is emasculating, either.

That's what's so silly about the article. James N. feels "unmanned" because he can't reflexively insta-grope every attractive woman dressed according to prevailing fashions. :svengo: Hyperbolic much, James?

I probably shouldn't touch this with a 10-foot pole.

But I don't get it. What is "emasculate" anyway, in a culture that doesn't allow males to be "masculated" in the first place?

I do think the article is bunk. I do consider the attire they refer to as being disrespectful to the self and to women, more so than to men.

Personally, I don't believe the title relates well at all to the content of the article. None of the text seems to explain the relationship between being a young, attractive woman and the emasculation of men.

I thought the article was stupid, poorly organized and written, and that it proved absolutely nothing.

That's what's so silly about the article. James N. feels "unmanned" because he can't reflexively insta-grope every attractive woman dressed according to prevailing fashions. :svengo: Hyperbolic much, James?

when I read that quote I pictured a political sign advocating men humping like a chihuahua in heat on sidewalks and public beaches....

Putting context of a particular time and particular culture would have been helpful to get the point illustrated. I read it with a global & historical view since the writer brought up St. Bernard.

Makes for poor reading actually without the society & gender POV defined.

Oatmeal. My final verdict.

If James was younger, better looking, and wore nicer clothes, he'd probably get to grope a lot more of those attractive women. :D

While I agree that some of the popular shows/movies have a pretty negative portrayal of men, I can't see what it has to do with women's clothing. I used to get looks, catcalls, and comments when I was younger. I've looked back at pics - my clothes were terrible, but not at all revealing (or flattering). However, I am well endowed. Very well endowed. Have I been walking around emasculating all those men out there who I don't allow to grope me?

I keep getting this visual of men in that article being portrayed as so completely out of control that it is all they can do to not grope every woman who walks by. I cannot see how that is a better portrayal than the "bumbling idiot" portrayal I see in certain pop culture shows and movies. I'm new to this, but I'm hoping my boys grow up to be men who are not idiots, and capable of not groping random strangers without losing their masculinity.

While I agree that some of the popular shows/movies have a pretty negative portrayal of men, I can't see what it has to do with women's clothing. I used to get looks, catcalls, and comments when I was younger. I've looked back at pics - my clothes were terrible, but not at all revealing (or flattering). However, I am well endowed. Very well endowed. Have I been walking around emasculating all those men out there who I don't allow to grope me?

I keep getting this visual of men in that article being portrayed as so completely out of control that it is all they can do to not grope every woman who walks by. I cannot see how that is a better portrayal than the "bumbling idiot" portrayal I see in certain pop culture shows and movies. I'm new to this, but I'm hoping my boys grow up to be men who are not idiots, and capable of not groping random strangers without losing their masculinity.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

The thread title made me hopeful. The article left me confused.

I have heard that men feel emasculated in our culture. I was interested in an intelligent article on the subject. This was neither intelligent nor on the subject.

Can we just get to chocolate now? I can skip cats and kilts.

I'm pretty sure that if I ever emasculate a man, I will be doing so knowingly and on purpose.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is so hot! I have this urge to ogle you :D

Bill (who thinks original article is one of the stupidest things he's ever read)

I only emasuclate selectively.

We should start a club. Rivka can be our leader. Bill can be the fanboy.

The silliest thing about the article? This quote:

"For instance, what’s it like to be an attractive young woman? Well, it is to live a life in which every man, everywhere, is nice to you"

What a moron. Seriously? He thinks EVERYONE is nice to attractive young women?

The silliest thing about the article? This quote:

"For instance, what’s it like to be an attractive young woman? Well, it is to live a life in which every man, everywhere, is nice to you"

What a moron. Seriously? He thinks EVERYONE is nice to attractive young women?

[sarcasm]Yeah, I thought it was really nice when men used to catcall at me when I was a cute 17 yo. [/sarcasm]

And how now, all these years later, such a thing might make your day :D

Bill

I wish this weren't true, but I'll admit it. Awhile back, a guy came up to me in the Costco parking lot and asked if he could pay me a compliment. Thinking it was probably about my kids, I said sure. He proceeded to compliment my rear. I was aghast. But also a little flattered.:blushing:

I wonder if it emasculated him.:D

I probably shouldn't touch this with a 10-foot pole.

But I don't get it. What is "emasculate" anyway, in a culture that doesn't allow males to be "masculated" in the first place?

I do think the article is bunk. I do consider the attire they refer to as being disrespectful to the self and to women, more so than to men.

I have not read the article, but I totally agree with the bolded.

I wish this weren't true, but I'll admit it. Awhile back, a guy came up to me in the Costco parking lot and asked if he could pay me a compliment. Thinking it was probably about my kids, I said sure. He proceeded to compliment my rear. I was aghast. But also a little flattered.:blushing:

I wonder if it emasculated him.:D

A few weeks back I had a guy at a Best Buy tell me,"If I may say so, you look nice today." He then asked me to please not hit him for saying so. Really? We are at the point where we have to be asked if it is ok to be complimented, and also the complimentor is afraid of being slapped (with a law suit, or a hand)?

I just thanked him, went on with my shopping, and thought the whole time how sad it was he thought he would be in some kind of trouble for telling me I looked nice.

Is this what someone emasculated looks like?

A few weeks back I had a guy at a Best Buy tell me,"If I may say so, you look nice today." He then asked me to please not hit him for saying so. Really? We are at the point where we have to be asked if it is ok to be complimented, and also the complimentor is afraid of being slapped (with a law suit, or a hand)?

I just thanked him, went on with my shopping, and thought the whole time how sad it was he thought he would be in some kind of trouble for telling me I looked nice.

Nah, that's what a metrosexual mack daddy looks like.

Nah, emasculated looks like a guy who has a brain freeze over strawberries because he's afraid he won't pick the right ones; somehow forgetting the only way they could be the wrong ones is if they are squashed and soggy or mouldy. Either scenario can be ruled out by looking at them.

Rosie

If woman can restrain from touching cabana boys and shirtless construction workers does that us the stronger species? I propose an experiment. Kilts, cabana boys, and construction workers. Maybe a few guys in uniform too. We'll time our restraint. :tongue_smilie:

Didn't read the article. School is out for three days and we don't need more illogical articles to critique on the weekend.

But don't you know, we men are so visual. Womenfolk are pure emotion. It's easy for you all to not be overwhelmed with the desire to grope people. It's difficult for us though. Especially when you are enticing us with your...whatever it is. Wiles.

Or maybe not.

What I find a bit funny about these types of arguments (as put forth in the article) is that there seems to be a real lack of understanding how women dressed throughout history.

Just think about the many cultures throughout the world that reside in warm climates. Some of the most "masculine" African tribesmen are surrounded by topless women. Corseted waists and massive clevage were very prevelant in some cooler climates. Belly dancers? Togas?

I just do not get it! :D

But don't you know, we men are so visual. Womenfolk are pure emotion. It's easy for you all to not be overwhelmed with the desire to grope people. It's difficult for us though. Especially when you are enticing us with your...whatever it is. Wiles.

Or maybe not.

Obviously you underestimate how cool and calculating we can be. ;) As per your argument, I do not think it is women functioning on "pure emotion." :lol:

If woman can restrain from touching cabana boys and shirtless construction workers does that us the stronger species? I propose an experiment. Kilts, cabana boys, and construction workers. Maybe a few guys in uniform too. We'll time our restraint. :tongue_smilie:

Didn't read the article. School is out for three days and we don't need more illogical articles to critique on the weekend.

if kilts are involved...i'm out..i have to grope or i will feel like less of a woman :lol: