Menu

x/p If your child takes meds for ADHD, can you help me out?

Please do not make this thread about the horrors of ADHD meds. My husband and I prayerfully considered meds for our youngest daughter for over a year. We finally decided that her impulsiveness and hyperactivity weren't going away, and were in fact becoming worse and dangerous, so we decided to give her medication. This was after having her seen by a behavioral/developmental pediatrician. I still get teary when I think of giving her meds every day, but it is what it is.

Anyway, she's been on Adderall for 11 days. For the first few days, I didn't notice any changes. Then around day 6, I thought I saw a slight improvement, and she even told me last Sunday that her mind felt "better." The last few days have not been good at all. She is as fidgety and flighty as ever. She is as impulsive as ever. She has been really cranky, especially in the evenings. She has a really poor appetite, which I expected, but not to this extent. Today she had half a cinnamon roll for breakfast (fast food, we were in a hurry, lol), about 3 bites of grilled chicken for lunch, and that's it. :( It's so sad because she's always been my best eater. I hate not seeing her enjoy her food, kwim?

I guess I'm wondering what the heck to do. We have the option of increasing the dose of Adderall, but I don't know if that's the right thing to do. I can call the doctor tomorrow, and I'm sure they would be fine with us trying another med, but I don't know if that will help. One thing I do know is that we are officially done with school, so her routine is disrupted, and she's been watching a little bit more TV than normal. She likes the TV, and having it turned off is one things that really ticks her off.

Is this a normal transition? Should I chalk it up to change in routine and give it more time? Should I increase the dose? Should I ask for a new med? I need advice from btdt moms. What can I do to make this easier for her?

Talk to the dr. Appetite changes are common, but the child still needs to be able to eat enough to stay healthy. Too little food can also lead to attention issues.

It is quite common to see kids go through several meds before they find the right med, right dose and sometimes it takes a combination of more that one.

Each kid is different and their brain chemistry is different. Doctors often start with the older, cheaper meds first and then branch out into the newer, more expensive ones if it is needed.

It took ds trying two meds before he found the right one, and then he needed to play with the dosage a bit to get it right.

DD5's issues are much more complicated and we have made changes to her medications almost every month, for 18 consecutive months.

Talk to the dr.

It is quite common to see kids go through several meds before they find the right med, right dose and sometimes it takes a combination of more that one.

My dd takes Ritalin, and it was clear with the first dose that it was helpful. If you haven't really seen results by now, talk to your doctor.

One of my stepsons is on adhd medicine. It took a HUGE amount of pain and damage to the family before medication was considered. I am fairly positive that my dh promised his first wife that he would never medicate either of the boys for adhd. Both stepsons have adhd, dh has it and his dad has it.

Anyway, without details, my son hurt a lot of people and himself and was having multiple failures in every aspect of life. (This is not the stepson I recently posted about who cussed at me, it's his younger brother, for those of you who routinely put 2 and 2 together.) It was such a heartache because he is such a dear boy, but he was losing every possible good thing in life, outside of a mom and dad.

In our experience, yes, evenings are difficult, more so some days than others. Days without the medication are even more difficult though. It does take a willingness to try different medications and strengths... a lot of patience. I cannot guarantee anything for your future, but I can share our story.

Currently, my son has solid grades, is a joy to be around most always and has made friends! (That is huge.) He still forgets what he is told to do... particularly in the afternoon! After a year and a half, he is proud of himself and has some great successes. Gosh, he sure needed that!

First, let me preface that I am in the no kids on amphetamines camp. So take what I say withh a grain of salt. But if your kiddo is getting fidgety and impulsive on an amphetamine, then there is too much drug building up in her. Cut the dose to half and go from there.

:)

I find that with Adderall the side effects as well as the intended effect seem to change over time. Also, the not eating can translate into low blood sugar and extreme crankiness.

I would ask to try a different med.

We never had any side effects like that. I've heard (purely anecdotally) that adderall can be problematic for some kids. You may want to let your doctor know you want to try something different. Different medications can affect kids in various ways.

We had some issues with crankiness when ours was taking 10mg of methylphenidate (generic ritalin) 2Xday. Too many ups and downs. Likewise, the generic extended release (Methylin ER) wasn't good either. It's a dual-release dose in a single pill, so she experienced the same problem with the drastic withdrawl of the medication. Here's how it works: say you have a 20mg pill. The interior 10mg is coated to dissolve slowly and then the whole thing is wrapped in another 10mg dose. So the exterior10mg hits the child's system within 10min or so and lasts for 2-3 hours. Then there is a valley before the next dose kicks in around the 3 hour mark. Then there is another valley a couple of hours later.

We had our best experience with Concerta. The new generic form is called Methyphenidate CR (controlled release), and is made by Watson, the same company who manufacturs Concerta. Unfortunately, it's also no cheaper than Concerta. The Concerta is gentle, lasting about 8 hours, and doesn't ever drop a lot of medication at once. So 27mg starts out slowly, peaks around 3 hours after taking it, and slowly diminishes over the course of the day until it wears off around 7-8 hours later. Even though it's technically 7mg more than she was taking with the 20mg ER formulation, it lasts 2 hours longer and never dumps more than (I believe I read) 7mg into her bloodstream at the peak.

It is all very confusing. Don't be discouraged. If this isn't working, try something new.

Yes, try a different med. Also make sure she eats breakfast before taking it. My kids eat a big breakfast, take their meds, then they aren't hungry until 2 or 3. They do eat all night but they are both very tall and slender.

I see a pediatric adhd expert. She put my kids on focalin xr. We've been very fortunate that it has worked for the most part on my kids.

Finding the right med for your child is the absolute worst! You may try several before you find the right dose, right med, right anything. Ds was put on vyvanse, and it worked right away. Dd has gone through at least 3 different meds including Intunive, and nothing works right or it has awful side effects; mostly anger.

I would be concerned about your dd's loss of appetite, w/out any big improvements. Call the doc back and let him know.

I was a school nurse and have had 2 sons on ADHD meds so I have a ton of knowledge on the subject. No, you are not yet on the right dosage or maybe correct medication. You should have seen better results by now and it is effecting her appetitie too much. Call the doc and him/her know the things you are seeing. Write it down before you call so you won't leave anything out.

As some of the posts earlier read, it's all about adjusting the dosages and getting the correct ADHD medication for your child and it takes tinkering with it to get it right. It's really a shot in the dark at the beginning so this is normal to have to adjust things.

I'm wondering what dosage of Adderall your daughter is on. Your doc probably didn't start on a high dose. I'm thinking that your doc will probably stop this one and try another. Sometimes if the dosage is too high, the person will become aggitated as you described, BUT since you aren't seeing a difference in impulse/etc..., it's probably not the right med for your daughter. ALSO, you can have a rebound effect from the med in the evenings. If the drug is working but you see some extra energy developing in the evening and some irritiabilty, the doc will sometimes prescribe a short acting ADHD med in the later afternoon to help coming off the meds a slight bit milder. Hope this all makes sense.

ADHD meds are basically the same except for some slight differences in the salts that are in them. This can make all the difference in seeing which one can work. There are also non-stimulant meds ADHD meds that are out there, but I haven't seen them work very well by themselves. Antidepressants are used and also a blood pressure med. These are pretty good if the regular ADHD meds aren't working by themselves.

Just know that it is normal to have to do adjusting on the meds. I know it's tramatic for you and you are still getting used to your child having to take a med, but know this is all part of it. Leave the figuring out of meds to your doctor. Your part is reporting accurately what you are seeing with your daughter. In time, you will become an expert with this.

Behavior modifications along with ADHD medication work the best. Do ya'll have a psychologist? Psy can help your child and help you know what to do for her. Have you read anything by Dr. Hallowell? He is a leader in knowledge of ADHD. He has a clinic on east coast.

Hang in there. It will get better. :001_smile:

Angel, R.N.

We never had any side effects like that. I've heard (purely anecdotally) that adderall can be problematic for some kids. You may want to let your doctor know you want to try something different. Different medications can affect kids in various ways.

We had some issues with crankiness when ours was taking 10mg of methylphenidate (generic ritalin) 2Xday. Too many ups and downs. Likewise, the generic extended release (Methylin ER) wasn't good either. It's a dual-release dose in a single pill, so she experienced the same problem with the drastic withdrawl of the medication. Here's how it works: say you have a 20mg pill. The interior 10mg is coated to dissolve slowly and then the whole thing is wrapped in another 10mg dose. So the exterior10mg hits the child's system within 10min or so and lasts for 2-3 hours. Then there is a valley before the next dose kicks in around the 3 hour mark. Then there is another valley a couple of hours later.

We had our best experience with Concerta. The new generic form is called Methyphenidate CR (controlled release), and is made by Watson, the same company who manufacturs Concerta. Unfortunately, it's also no cheaper than Concerta. The Concerta is gentle, lasting about 8 hours, and doesn't ever drop a lot of medication at once. So 27mg starts out slowly, peaks around 3 hours after taking it, and slowly diminishes over the course of the day until it wears off around 7-8 hours later. Even though it's technically 7mg more than she was taking with the 20mg ER formulation, it lasts 2 hours longer and never dumps more than (I believe I read) 7mg into her bloodstream at the peak.

It is all very confusing. Don't be discouraged. If this isn't working, try something new.

There is a Ritalin LA that I like better than the ER. The Ritalin LA's release is different than the ER. Say you have 20mg. It starts releasing 10 mg within the hour and then right when it starts to decline the second part starts working in 3-4 hours. They show the graph on the product info. The ER's onset is more delayed than the LA. :)

Angel

I think the more information you can give about the responses to a medicine, the better the doctor will be able to find a good match for your child. DS and I have done well with Intuniv but in concert with other medicines (more than ADHD to treat). Even though you aren't looking at bi-polar as a diagnosis, the book The Bi-Polar Child has a great chapter that explains the various medications and treatments for bi-polar and ADHD. It might be worth checking it out so you can see what your options are.

It is hard to work things out, and our children at this age are a constantly moving target. I've found that we still have lots of issues with medication and lots of side effects, but they (the issues) are significantly less extreme. :grouphug:

Mine take Vyvanse (two of mine are on it - one for ADHD, one for working memory issues.)

There is no build-up of these types of meds. You should see immediate differences. The first day my now 11yo took them, he said to me that afternoon, "Mama this medicine really works!"

The methylphenidate class of drugs made my ds manic. Crazy manic! Strattera also made him worse.

I agree with the PP that the "crash" is expected, and weightloss is a problem with some. My ds lost a bunch, was taken off of stimulants for awhile and is now back on them. Vyvanse has a reputation for being one of the worst for both.

Keep trying. My 11yo went from 66 IQ and unable to learn to average IQ and reading in 6 weeks after hitting the right dose of Vyvanse (he was 10.) We went from wondering if he would ever live on his own to normal expectations for his future. ADHD isn't just about behavior that you can teach them to cope with. The change in ds's outlook on life was HUGE.

Thank you so much!! I will call the doctor today. I am sure this is not the right medication for her.

To the pp who mentioned that kids should not be getting fidgety and impulsive on the med, I wanted to point out that hyperactivity (including extreme fidgeting) and basically zero impulse control were there long before we started meds. The meds didn't cause that stuff. The ADHD did.

Thanks again!

Edited by Nakia

I still get teary when I think of giving her meds every day, but it is what it is.

Don't. I was a kid with ADD who was finally given Ritalin as a teenager. It was like day and night. I finally understood the difference between how I operated and others did and it was fundamental to the changes I could later make off medication to make my life run smoother.

You did a good thing for your child. :001_smile:

You've been given good info. I'll only add to be cautious with generics. Contrary to what the rx companies say they aren't all created equal. To help with eating, have her eat first, good quality, high protein food. Try to get lunch in her before a second dose. You may find she'll drink her meal (smoothie, protein shake, etc) when she won't eat. If she's not ready for dinner at dinner time, offer her meal later on. Throughout the day offer things like a spoon of PB, or a piece of cheese. Choose the best foods for her to eat first. If she has trouble sleeping, there are good, natural things that can help with that (melatonin, v-root, etc).

Never feel bad for doing what is best for your child!

Thank you so much!! I will call the doctor today. I am sure this is not the right medication for her.

To the pp who mentioned that kids should not be getting fidgety and impulsive on the med, I wanted to point out that hyperactivity (including extreme fidgeting) and basically zero impulse control were there long before we started meds. The meds didn't cause that stuff. The ADHD did.

Thanks again!

The first md we used for adhd and meds told us (correctly) that finding the right med is a crap shoot. That was 6 years ago.

Three weeks ago, we tried Daytrana patch -worked well for abut 6 days and then the doctor tried different variations (half patch, etc) -- asked me tons of questions of behavior before and during patch and we decided to discontinue it and try something else.

With adderall, we had about 2.5 years of good results by using the formulation that was NOT extended release - just plain old adderall.

It's odd the little things that make a med work for some kids and not another.

Hang in there -- definitely talk to the doctor -- the only way the doctor will know if something is effective or not is if you share what you are observing. We've had quite a few meds that we thought were the 'one' only to have to d/c four or five days later.

:grouphug:

We're doing very well on a vyvanse/intuniv combo right now. He was on vyvanse alone but was not eating/gaining weight and the crash in the evenings was horrible. After adding the intuniv, we've been able to reduce the vyvanse from 40mg to 20mg and no crash! or at least a slow slide instead of a crash! :D

We're doing very well on a vyvanse/intuniv combo right now. He was on vyvanse alone but was not eating/gaining weight and the crash in the evenings was horrible. After adding the intuniv, we've been able to reduce the vyvanse from 40mg to 20mg and no crash! or at least a slow slide instead of a crash! :D

Thanks for this! We had to go down on Vyvanse for my ds due to weightloss, and the early wear off and crash is frustrating. He goes to the doctor in two weeks, and I will ask about intuniv.

Thanks for this! We had to go down on Vyvanse for my ds due to weightloss, and the early wear off and crash is frustrating. He goes to the doctor in two weeks, and I will ask about intuniv.

We first went to 1mg intuniv at bedtime and reduced vyvanse to 30mg. In ONE month, he went from 56 lbs to 62 lbs. For the last 2 weeks, we've done 2mg intuniv and vyvanse 20mg. Still working great! Before, when coming off the vyvanse, it was like he was a top being wound up. By bedtime, all h*ll could break loose. Now it's just a gradual increase. I really can't pinpoint the time the vyvanse wears off like I could before.

Ds has been on ADHD meds until about a year ago, when he wanted to give it a try on his own.

As others have said, you likely don't have the correct medication or dose. You should have seen an immediate effect. I'm surprised the doctor started her on Adderall. That's usually a choice they save until after other medications have been tried.

Try not to get discouraged. It might take several medications and several attempts at the right dose. And don't feel bad about choosing medication. Once you find the one that works for your dd, you and she will be amazed at the difference. It really does help.

We started with Strattera for my DD. It seemed to help with the mental aspect, but OMG her attitude was uncontrollable. At first I just decided it was hormones, but after several months of our days ending in screaming fits and meltdowns, we switched. Now she is on Adderall 10 mg twice a day. Her behavior was night and day different. I did make the mistake the first day I gave it to her and gave her the second dose around 2pm. I woke up the next day to a note that said she hadn't slept AT ALL, so now she takes it at 7am and 12pm. She also had a period where it was effecting her eating so now she eat breakfast before that first pill, and she take the second one with lunch. She still doesn't eat as much as she used to, but she is maintaining a healthy weight. My DD is just ADD not ADHD, so other than comparing it to the Strattera (on which she did stupid things like throwing school books in fits and randomly hitting siblings), she hasn't really dealt with impulsivity.

My dd takes Ritalin, and it was clear with the first dose that it was helpful. If you haven't really seen results by now, talk to your doctor.

:iagree: My dd was on Concerta, and it made an amazing difference from the very beginning. For the first time, she could follow through on the ideas racing through her mind. She was only on it for a few months because of tummy issues, but it was eye-opening to see what she was capable of, and I think that helped her even when she went off meds. We did try Adderall to see if it would work without the tummy issues, but I refused to give it to her after the first day. She went from Tigger to Eeyore on Adderall.

Ds#1 is currently taking Strattera. It was the best thing we did for him and our family. Finding the right medicine takes time and tinkering. Our doctor has been completely honest that it can take up to a year to find the right medication and dosage, so just keep trying.

Ds has had some setbacks lately that is making me wonder if we need to tinker with things again. We've had a few good months, but he's back to having fits of rage. He does eat less now than before the meds, but he's still maintaining a healthy weight. I have found that lots of smaller meals works better for him since starting the meds.

You are doing the right thing for your daughter, Nakia. :grouphug:

:iagree::iagree: On Adderall, it was very clear in the first day she was on it with me (she had one at her outside class days first) that it was working and made a huge noticeable difference. These aren't drugs that have to build up in the system. If it's not working now, talk to your doc about a different drug.

my 2 cents...

I have an 11yo that has been on Adderrall since Kindergarten (at my request). The child had a complete personality change at 18 mo old. anyway...We were lucky in the fact the the first med we tried worked- didn't have to play with dosage and no adverse side effects. There are some things I have gleaned over the years-

1. Not sure they age of your dear child, but my 11yo who has responded beautifully for years to Adderrall, suddenly is having issues now as he is going through (pre)adolescence. Hormones will reek havoc on their body chemistry and effectiveness will change from day to day. Not really much you can do about this aspect except chalk it up to the beauty of homeschooling and call it a field trip day.

2. It is most effective, quick acting and all around great for everyone in the family if he takes it the second his eyes open in the morning BEFORE he eats anything. Now, he never experienced any adverse stomach issues even when we started it years ago, so I am comfortable doing this.

3. Now we are experiencing a new change- the meds are taking FOREVER to start working once he takes them in the morning. Still responds great once they start working, but we can't start school til the afternoon. Doc suggested setting an alarm for around 6- taking them- going back to bed. We'll see how this works.

4. Also, at times- he has responded differently to generics vs brands. He had anger issues years ago when the meds wore off at the end of the day with the brand that disappeared with the generic. GO figure. Now- he can only take the brand.

The key is- don't give up - always be an advocate for your child- and educate yourself. And never feel bad for making the decision to medicate- even when it gets tough finding the right meds.

When DD found the correct med, it worked right away. We did have to adjust the dose, and she does have to eat breakfast first before the meds, like another poster mentioned. She eats a VERY light lunch, and then by dinner the med is worn off.

From our experience and from friends, the correct med at least worked somewhat even at the beginning. I don't think there is that long of an adjustment period like with depression meds. Ask to change.

We had to go down on Vyvanse for my ds due to weightloss, and the early wear off and crash is frustrating.

Another example of how every medication is different for every person with ADHD. Vyvanse wore off evenly on ds. Other than his gradual loss of focus, you could hardly tell when it was out of his system. It made him tired though, and out of all the ones he tried, it affected his appetite the most.

Edited by floridamom
fixed quote format

My 11 year old takes Adderall. It has worked wonders for her. She is doing sooo much better. She only takes 5 mg. in the morning and that is just enough. It wears off around 5 just in time for her to eat dinner and then settle down before bedtime. Also she felt that she was a little heavy going into puberty even though her BMI was exactly the same as her older sister who is very thin. Her sister was taller but weighed the same amount. Anyhow don't know if it was the Adderall of just the puberty growth spurt but she gained a couple inches in height and lost a few pounds and is feeling much better about her weight.

It is possible that the your dd's dosage was not high enough for her. Sometimes it takes a bit to find the right dosage. What I like about Adderall compared to all the others is that it does wear off later in the day which allows the appetite to kick in for dinner and it is less likely to cause insomnia. If they still have regular release ritalin then that would have the same benefits. I had one child that took that though and it turned him into a zombie. We don't have that problem with Adderall but as you know medicines effect everyone differently so you may take awhile to find the right med at the right dose. With this class of meds you should notice a difference right away. It may take a few days to see what their new normal behavior will be because even though the meds work right away it may take your child a few days to adjust to how the med effects her.

I hope you find the right answer soon both for your dds sake and your own.

Can I ask how his appetite was affected when you added the intuniv? I've got an 8 year old that will likely have an ADHD diagnosis fairly soon. I think we've tried pretty much ALL non medicine interventions, with minimal success, up to this point. Like Nakia's dd, he is impulsive as all get out. One of my largest concerns for him is the loss of appetite on meds. He was failure to thrive as an infant, he has always been difficult to get to eat ... until the last few months. When we eliminated refined sugar and processed foods from his diet it was like day and night! He is now eating like a horse and has gained 6 or more pounds since the first of the year, which is HUGE for him! I think I would just fall over dead if we put him on meds and backslid on his eating/growing. I'm interested in finding meds that have the LEAST occurance of appetite disruption. I was told, by a school counselor, to look into non stimulants? Anyone with experience?

Not to make y'all feel like guinea pigs, Nakia, but I'll be interested to see how this works out for you. Please update! :bigear:

Thank you all!!! I appreciate the advice and support so much!

I talked with a nurse at the doctor's office today, and we are going to try Concerta. I won't be able to start her on it until next week because they are going to have to mail me the script. Apparently it's a med that can't be called in, and it was too late for me to go by and get it.

Maybe this will be the one!

Can I ask how his appetite was affected when you added the intuniv? I've got an 8 year old that will likely have an ADHD diagnosis fairly soon. I think we've tried pretty much ALL non medicine interventions, with minimal success, up to this point. Like Nakia's dd, he is impulsive as all get out. One of my largest concerns for him is the loss of appetite on meds. He was failure to thrive as an infant, he has always been difficult to get to eat ... until the last few months. When we eliminated refined sugar and processed foods from his diet it was like day and night! He is now eating like a horse and has gained 6 or more pounds since the first of the year, which is HUGE for him! I think I would just fall over dead if we put him on meds and backslid on his eating/growing. I'm interested in finding meds that have the LEAST occurance of appetite disruption. I was told, by a school counselor, to look into non stimulants? Anyone with experience?

Since adding the intuniv and decreasing the vyvanse, he's been eating just about anything I put in front of him. He gained more weight in one month than he did in previous 18 months combined! He takes it at bedtime so there's the added bonus of helping him get to sleep. Really important as he's prone to insomnia. When I was discussing the possibility of changing up his meds with the nurse, she did mention that they have very few kids who take just the intuniv. Most still require a stimulant med as well.

Good luck and I hope Concerta works better.

I take adderall. I wanted to also ask, how is she sleeping? And when is her last dose of the day? I have trouble sleeping if I take any after 11 AM. And after several nights of bad sleep, I'm often worse off than I would be without medication. It's just something I would pay attention to.

Thank you all!!! I appreciate the advice and support so much!

I talked with a nurse at the doctor's office today, and we are going to try Concerta. I won't be able to start her on it until next week because they are going to have to mail me the script. Apparently it's a med that can't be called in, and it was too late for me to go by and get it.

Maybe this will be the one!

None of them can be called in (except maybe Straterra, I don't know) because they're Schedule II under the Control Substances Act. I usually had them mail me the scripts so I didn't have to remember to make a trip to the office.

I hope Concerta works. It's what ds was on at your dd's age, and worked well. It lasted around 12 hours, and wore off evenly (no crash). It did affect his appetite, but not as bad as some other meds he tried. Eventually it didn't work for him anymore, but he was able to take it for a few years before we had to switch to something else.

Good luck!