Menu

What are you theological "Hills worth dying on"

I believe in one God, Father Almighty, Creator of

heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of

God, begotten of the Father before all ages;

Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten,

not created, of one essence with the Father

through Whom all things were made.

Who for us men and for our salvation

came down from heaven and was incarnate

of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary and became man.

He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate,

and suffered and was buried;

And He rose on the third day,

according to the Scriptures.

He ascended into heaven

and is seated at the right hand of the Father;

And He will come again with glory to judge the living

and dead. His kingdom shall have no end.

And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Creator of life,

Who proceeds from the Father, Who together with the

Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified, Who

spoke through the prophets.

In one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.

I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

I look for the resurrection of the dead,

and the life of the age to come.

Amen.

These things are non-negotiable.

The more I read and study and pray and grow the fewer hills I find worth dying for. God is great, God is huge, and I can not file him in a box of my own defining. Politically and socially I find myself moving ever leftward. My guiding principle are love, pray and do no harm.

I believe

1. God created the world and man for His own purposes. It doesn't really matter how.

2. We can not reach God but He can reach us. We are saved by grace alone. We are not passive receptacles there must be change/response/growth in us in response.

3. God reached us through His son Jesus (Salvation from sin) and still reaches us today through the Holy Spirit.

4. The Bible contains the information we need for salvation, but it in itself is not sacred.

The more I know, the more I know that I do not know. God is greater than the limits Christian churches place upon Him.

I would never consider myself liberal but this comes closest to my list. I would add that I believe in the invisible church, not in any "Church".

Thank you.

I had a hard time articulating my beliefs on the Bible. arrgh...I will try to express it but any clarification or comments on my explanation will be loved and appreciated. :001_smile:

1. The Bible is God's inspired word, it contains all that we need to receive salvation (no added doctrinal requirements) and it has authority to show God's will through the teachings and movement of the Holy Spirit.

2. The paper and binding are not sacred, I can write in it, I do not need to defend the physical existense of the book itself, aside from good manners and respect for the message inside.

3. It is not magical. I cannot ask a question and be directed to an answer by flipping the pages randomly.

4. It is an entire work; isolating verses from context or giving one verse superiority over others does not give a clear view of the relationship God is showing to us. Taking a single verse and writing it on a poster does not give me an magical powers. (sorry...that sarcasm is directed at some of the organization around me. :tongue_smilie:)

I am open to thoughts and comments.

I agree with you on all your points. When I say "sacred", what I mean is your #1, God's inspired word....

I believe the bible is God's holy word, perfect and without error. Now, that doesn't mean, to me, that someone couldn't have made a mistake somewhere along the way with translations, kwim? That is one reason we have the Holy Spirit, for wisdom and discernment. Just my two cents. :001_smile:

God created the universe (a long long time ago, I accept evolution)

I believe in the trinity, deity of Christ, his death and resurrection for our salvation. I've gone through a lot of shifts in my thinking and what I believe but these are things I've managed to cling to through all that.

I don't mean to offend young earth creationists, but I find it kind of crazy to elevate the age of the earth to a salvation issue. I would think if it was really that vital, Jesus would have mentioned it at some point in time, at least in passing. "Oh btw, the earth is really super young ya'll. This is important. Write it down." Instead certain people are using this issue to be very divisive among Christians. There is an attitude among SOME YEC (not all!) that you are a lesser Christian or simply not a Christian at all if you don't believe this. But there are many groups that elevate various doctrines that Jesus didn't exactly talk about to salvation issues.

:iagree:

I am a Bible believing Christian and a Liberal. (fair warning I guess)

I was raised by Christian parents and I developed my own firm, indiviual faith in my 20's. I study my Bible seriously.

The more I read and study and pray and grow the fewer hills I find worth dying for. God is great, God is huge, and I can not file him in a box of my own defining. Politically and socially I find myself moving ever leftward. My guiding principle are love, pray and do no harm.

I believe

1. God created the world and man for His own purposes. It doesn't really matter how.

2. We can not reach God but He can reach us. We are saved by grace alone. We are not passive receptacles there must be change/response/growth in us in response.

3. God reached us through His son Jesus (Salvation from sin) and still reaches us today

through the Holy Spirit.

4. The Bible contains the information we need for salvation, but it in itself is not sacred.

The more I know, the more I know that I do not know. God is greater than the limits Christian churches place upon Him.

What a great post!:)

He ascended into heaven

Amen.

:iagree: These are MY non-negotiables and what I consider right theology, but I also recognize that God is much bigger than what I can understand.

We believe in one God,

the Father, the Almighty,

Maker of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,

the only Son of God,

eternally begotten of the Father,

God from God, Light from Light,

true God from true God,

begotten, not made,

of one Being with the Father.

Through him all things were made.

For us and for our salvation

he came down from heaven:

by the power of the Holy Spirit

he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,

and was made man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;

he suffered death and was buried.

On the third day he rose again

in accordance with the Scriptures;

he ascended into heaven

and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,

and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,

who proceeds from the Father and the Son.

With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified.

He has spoken through the Prophets.

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.

We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

We look for the resurrection of the dead,

and the life of the world to come.

and i would add:

I believe in the Real Presence and that there is an apstolic succession

What he said.:)

Also, although I do believe in a literal six-day special creation, I wouldn't make that a hill to die on, and it wouldn't be in a statement of faith, if I believed in requiring a statement of faith for a support group or co-op, which I don't.

This is a condensed version of my statement of faith:

THE FOUNDATION -- The Bible is the inspired word of God, innerrant except for errors in translation

1. There is one God, the Father, who created heaven and earth and all there is within it.

2. That Jesus is the Son of God (not God), begotten by Mary by the Holy Spirit, then annointed by the same Spirit at his baptism.

3. That the first man, Adam, sinned, and brought death into the world, as the wages of sin is death. But God had a plan of reconciliation, and made promises concerning it to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, elaborated in greater detail through the prophets.

4. That these promises refer to Christ, who, by being of the same condemned mortal flesh, yet strengthened by God to live and die in perfect obedience, was raised from the dead on the third day, and is able to save those who believe and obey him

5. The way to obtain salvation is through belief in the Gospel as the apostles preached it, consisting of "the things concerning the Kingdom of God and the Name of Jesus Christ", as defined in Acts.

6. The "things concerning the Kingdom of God" are these:

-God will set up Kingdom on earth, which will overthrow all kingdoms of men

-to do this, God will send Christ to the earth, at which time he will raise the dead, and grant immortality to the faithful

-the Kingdom Christ will establish will be the Kingdom of Israel restored, with the gathering of the scattered Jews,in the territory which was promised to Abraham and his Seed

-the governing body of this Kingdom is the brethren of Christ, with Christ as King, who will rule in righteousness and peace

-that at the close of the Kingdom, death itself shall be defeated, and the Kingdom will be delivered by Jesus to the Father, who will be "All-in-All"

What I don't believe are hills-to-die on for me as well, as I think they muck of the gospel. I don't believe in the trinity, an immortal soul (immortality is a reward), immortal fallen angels. the existance of hell (other than meaning it's the grave), or that people go to heaven when they die (what about resurrection and judgment?). And there's other things too, but those are definately "hills".

People of all belief systems are encouraged to reply. I am :bigear:

What do you consider essential to your belief system? What's Important? What's open to discussion/non-essential?

FWIW, I'm a liberal Christian (in some ways) and I have very few absolutes (deity of Christ, trinity, resurrection are my theological "hills").

Where this question springs from:

I was totally floored a few weeks ago when I discovered a group (a private school) that considers six 24 hour day creation account a "hill worth dying on." Kids whose parents don't believe this or other points on their SOF (like my kids) aren't allowed in. I was :blink::svengo: .

I'm not shocked that people believe that, I was shocked that it could possibly be THAT important, kwim? (The rationale was that the school teaches this POV, and they don't want parents counteracting the teaching at home. I do understand their reasoning, even if I don't agree.)

Anyway, it got me wondering what people consider essential vs. important vs. optional.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity :)

To answer your question, my hill has flattened out over the last year. The only hill worth "dying" on is for my family, which includes a handful of dear friends as well. If (and it's an if for me now) there is a god, I can only accept that he/she would create us out of love and not some twisted, voyeristic game. My only "hill" would be love.

My *personal* hill is the Nicene Creed w/o the filioque. If someone were to ask me to say anything different, I just couldn't do it.

Having said that, I used to have MANY MORE hills. As Milovany stated and as is in her signature, "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." This is what I am desperately trying to live by now. I used to have a mental box, though I didn't realize it. You were either in the "saved" box or the "needs to be evangelized" box. I can't live that way anymore. When I look at people now, I try to remember that everyone, ever single person, is created in the image of God and who am I to decide where they are in their spiritual journey? My goal is to love all people, regardless of their choices or of their actions. Lord have mercy.

My hills are the Apostles' and Nicene Creeds as well. I'd also add to "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind, and love your neighbor as yourself" because I believe that "by their fruit you will recognize them." I believe everything else is subject to interpretation and confirmation bias and "each one should be fully convinced in his own mind" and "accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters."

I'm not sure that "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" qualifies as theology, but it is my guiding principal and what I want to instill in my kids. My most common parenting questions are, "How does XXX feel about that? and How would you feel if he did that to you?"

I personally find Taoism and Stoicism helpful, but they're not really religions and I don't "believe" them so much as I think about their tenets and how they apply to my life. I'm not looking for a church, so there's really no hill to die on anyway.

I'm not sure that "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" qualifies as theology, but it is my guiding principal and what I want to instill in my kids.

That's what Deists live by :) And the Golden Rule is one of the oldest moral/ethical codes around (from back in the early BCE's).

I suppose it depends on who in on the hill with me.

The OPs example of people who are cutting out others due to believing a six day creation is quite mind boggling to me. I don't want to be so insular that I only socialize with people of the exact same faith. I think it is quite ridiculous. It is too limiting. Too holier than thou. And frankly I personally find it un-Christian.

On the other hand if the fool on the hill with me is some wackdoodle with a gun demanding that I renounce Jesus and join him (wackdoodle) in the revolution for his god, I'd have to just let wackdoodle shoot me. That is if somehow wackdoodle got the jump on me and I was bound hand and foot and unable to otherwise fight.

Edited by Parrothead

I am a Bible believing Christian and a Liberal. (fair warning I guess)

I was raised by Christian parents and I developed my own firm, indiviual faith in my 20's. I study my Bible seriously.

I believe

3. God reached us through His son Jesus (Salvation from sin) and still reaches us today through the Holy Spirit.

I am on a similar path. It is freeing and disconcerting at the same time. I don't yet feel free enough to call myself a "liberal."

I would never consider myself liberal but this comes closest to my list. I would add that I believe in the invisible church, not in any "Church".

:iagree:

This is where I am at right now, too.

Also, Love your neighbor as your self is a pretty big hill in my life. It is probably one of the hardest things I've tried to do, but I would like to think it is non-negotiable.

Are you asking what theological beliefs are we not willing to compromise on? Because I have many many of those and they aren't directly related to salvation but I also wouldn't exclude someone from my life who believes differently.

I believe the 6 days are literal 24 hour days but I'm also an old-earther. I believe in the Gap theory - or Ruin-Reconstruction theory.

...to what/where?

I assume if everyone has their own path, they also have their own destination, but I don't know for sure. I do know my idea of my destination changed so many times that I eventually gave up on knowing a destination and got busy with the journey.

I do believe there is a force in the universe greater than we can understand at this point in our development, but that isn't a hill to die on for me.

Having said that, I used to have MANY MORE hills. As Milovany stated and as is in her signature, "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." This is what I am desperately trying to live by now. I used to have a mental box, though I didn't realize it. You were either in the "saved" box or the "needs to be evangelized" box. I can't live that way anymore. When I look at people now, I try to remember that everyone, ever single person, is created in the image of God and who am I to decide where they are in their spiritual journey? My goal is to love all people, regardless of their choices or of their actions. Lord have mercy.

I love every single word of this. Thanks for writing it :)

Are you asking what theological beliefs are we not willing to compromise on? Because I have many many of those and they aren't directly related to salvation but I also wouldn't exclude someone from my life who believes differently.

By "hill worth dying on" I mean what are your theological non-negotiables?

I believe the 6 days are literal 24 hour days but I'm also an old-earther. I believe in the Gap theory - or Ruin-Reconstruction theory.

What is that? I've never heard of it.

What is that? I've never heard of it.

It's the belief that there was a period of time (a gap) between Gen 1:1 when God created the Heaven and the Earth in the beginning, and Gen 1:2 when it's found in a state of destruction: "without form and void". The 6 days are an account of God "remaking" the earth and starting over with man made in His image. Before that, Lucifer was ruling on earth. His rebellion against God caused the destruction.

In addition to believing that the Bible is wholly the inspired word of God, I embrace the Nicene and Apostles Creeds. Anything else is subject to interpretation and not worth argue and debate.

As to the creation of the world - the main point should be that God DID create it, not HOW He created it. I would stay away from any group that insists that they know the answer to that one because it comes across as condescending and arrogant, not at all the attitude that Christ had and modeled for us to follow.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I am the opposite of many in this conversation, apparently. I believe 110% that the Bible is NOT literal and that it is allegory or whatever other word it is that I am too tired to think of. :lol: I do not in any way believe in a literal 6 day 24 hour creation story that is in the English translated Bible. I was raised Jewish and nobody in our family or anyone I ever knew believed that the Torah or Bible was written to be interpreted absolutely literally. Or that it should be interpreted for today in many instances-I'm not selling my girls into slavery for any reason!

In addition to believing that the Bible is wholly the inspired word of God, I embrace the Nicene and Apostles Creeds. Anything else is subject to interpretation and not worth argue and debate.

As to the creation of the world - the main point should be that God DID create it, not HOW He created it. I would stay away from any group that insists that they know the answer to that one because it comes across as condescending and arrogant, not at all the attitude that Christ had and modeled for us to follow.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Ditto. :D Creation as it relates to the Bible has become an obsession about how the world was physically created. An obsession over fact. What's been lost is what you said, God created and the world and further, that it is good. It's gotten to a point where the some of the most adament proponent of Creation as fact are also those that see little or no good in that creation and seem quite eager to leave it behind.

Interesting thread, I love hearing other's insight. For me the non-negotiables are:

1) Beliefs about God:

God is the Creator and Ruler of the universe. He has eternally existed in three personalities: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These three are co-equal and are one God.

2)Beliefs about Christ:

Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is co-equal with the Father. Jesus lived a sinless human life and offered Himself as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all people by dying on a cross. He arose from the dead after three days to demonstrate His power over sin and death. He ascended to Heaven’s glory and will return again someday to earth to reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

3)Beliefs about the Holy Spirit:The Holy Spirit is co-equal with the Father and the Son of God. He is present in the world to make men aware of their need for Jesus Christ. He also lives in every Christian from the moment of salvation. He provides the Christian with power for living, understanding of spiritual truth, and guidance in doing what is right.

4)Beliefs about the the Bible:The Bible is God’s Word to us. It was written by human authors, under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is the supreme source of truth for Christian beliefs and living. Because it is inspired by God, it is the truth without any mixture of error

*Because of my belief in the Bible as the literal word of God, I am a YEC.

5)Beliefs about salvation:

Salvation is God’s free gift to us, but we must accept it. We can never make up for our sin by self-improvement or good works. Only by trusting in Jesus Christ as God’s offer of forgiveness can anyone be saved from sin’s penalty. The true believer is secure in that salvation forever.

6)Heaven and Hell are real places of eternal existence. Satan is a real and literal enemy.

Non-essential beliefs for me are: method/timing of Baptism, beliefs about the Lord's Supper/Communion, habits of food/drink, specific styles of dress (modesty is the only Biblical standard IMO), style of worship/music, family issues: parenting methods, family size, roles of husbands/wives in the home, method of educating children

I have personal opinions about many of the above issues and rely on scripture as my guide, but feel that many of these leadings are more personal and some are subject to change over time.

He ascended into heaven

Amen.

:iagree: These are MY non-negotiables and what I consider right theology, but I also recognize that God is much bigger than what I can understand.

I'm in this camp.:D

My *personal* hill is the Nicene Creed w/o the filioque. If someone were to ask me to say anything different, I just couldn't do it.

This describes me as well.:) And as far as the bolded I've realized that something I'm always telling my children applies to me, "worry about yourself".:)

I'm in this camp.:D

This describes me as well.:) And as far as the bolded I've realized that something I'm always telling my children applies to me, "worry about yourself".:)

A saying I've heard often in the EO is, "keep your eyes on your own plate". The person next to you may not be where you are at in your journey. This doesn't mean they are behind or ahead of you...just somewhere different.

Interesting question. I think it depends a little on what you mean by "hills worth dying on". If you're talking about personal, internal theology, I'm firmly in the orthodox, mainline LDS camp, personally, and at this point in my life I really can not see myself ever seeing another belief system as a viable alternative. The more of them I look into, and the deeper I look, the more strongly convinced I am that the LDS point of view is where it's at. For ease of reference, I'll just concur with the Articles of Faith that were already posted as a good starting point, but I have probably developed a few other "hills to die on" in addition, for myself, all of which would be pretty much mainline LDS teachings. I'm convinced (or convicted if you prefer) of them enough that I don't think I could disbelieve them if I tried, and I don't think I could ever be happy with a church that didn't teach them. So here I am, and here I stay.

That said, though, those are MY hills to die on, for ME. I certainly don't require that everyone I associate with must believe the same as I do. So if by "hills to die on" you're talking about how I decide who I'm willing to hang out and share ideas with, I don't really have many hills to die on. I don't really care to hang with people who are intentionally cruel and offensive. I am more comfortable in an environment where people treat each other courteously and things like profanity and raised voices are kept to a minimum. But I don't really have theological "hills to die on" when it comes to other people. Where they are theologically is between them and God, and although I am happy to share my perspective if someone is interested, I don't feel compelled to try to force anyone to believe as I do, or to avoid associating with people with theological stances that differ from mine.

That said, though, those are MY hills to die on, for ME. I certainly don't require that everyone I associate with must believe the same as I do. So if by "hills to die on" you're talking about how I decide who I'm willing to hang out and share ideas with, I don't really have many hills to die on. I don't really care to hang with people who are intentionally cruel and offensive. I am more comfortable in an environment where people treat each other courteously and things like profanity and raised voices are kept to a minimum. But I don't really have theological "hills to die on" when it comes to other people. Where they are theologically is between them and God, and although I am happy to share my perspective if someone is interested, I don't feel compelled to try to force anyone to believe as I do, or to avoid associating with people with theological stances that differ from mine.

:iagree: with all this, especially the bolded. :001_smile:

Interesting thread, I love hearing other's insight. For me the non-negotiables are:

1) Beliefs about God:

God is the Creator and Ruler of the universe. He has eternally existed in three personalities: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These three are co-equal and are one God.

2)Beliefs about Christ:

Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is co-equal with the Father. Jesus lived a sinless human life and offered Himself as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all people by dying on a cross. He arose from the dead after three days to demonstrate His power over sin and death. He ascended to Heaven’s glory and will return again someday to earth to reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

3)Beliefs about the Holy Spirit:The Holy Spirit is co-equal with the Father and the Son of God. He is present in the world to make men aware of their need for Jesus Christ. He also lives in every Christian from the moment of salvation. He provides the Christian with power for living, understanding of spiritual truth, and guidance in doing what is right.

4)Beliefs about the the Bible:The Bible is God’s Word to us. It was written by human authors, under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is the supreme source of truth for Christian beliefs and living. Because it is inspired by God, it is the truth without any mixture of error

*Because of my belief in the Bible as the literal word of God, I am a YEC.

5)Beliefs about salvation:

Salvation is God’s free gift to us, but we must accept it. We can never make up for our sin by self-improvement or good works. Only by trusting in Jesus Christ as God’s offer of forgiveness can anyone be saved from sin’s penalty. The true believer is secure in that salvation forever.

6)Heaven and Hell are real places of eternal existence. Satan is a real and literal enemy.

Non-essential beliefs for me are: method/timing of Baptism, beliefs about the Lord's Supper/Communion, habits of food/drink, specific styles of dress (modesty is the only Biblical standard IMO), style of worship/music, family issues: parenting methods, family size, roles of husbands/wives in the home, method of educating children

I have personal opinions about many of the above issues and rely on scripture as my guide, but feel that many of these leadings are more personal and some are subject to change over time.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Wow, you've stated this very beautifully. I wish I would have written it myself!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I am the opposite of many in this conversation, apparently. I believe 110% that the Bible is NOT literal and that it is allegory or whatever other word it is that I am too tired to think of. :lol: I do not in any way believe in a literal 6 day 24 hour creation story that is in the English translated Bible. I was raised Jewish and nobody in our family or anyone I ever knew believed that the Torah or Bible was written to be interpreted absolutely literally. Or that it should be interpreted for today in many instances-I'm not selling my girls into slavery for any reason!

This, as far as the Bible goes. I believe it is a *story*, full of *stories*, created by ancient people with ancient science and ancient understanding. I personally think it diminishes the Bible to take it *literally*. It is a literary work of ART from a time that wrote, spoke, and enterained in hyperbole. I think of the Bible stories as the same genre and psychological manifestation as greek myths, roman myths, norse myths.

It also represents a time of great violence, ipredjudice, patriarchy, misogyny. It was written when Creative Force(s) were assumed to be petty, jealous, lusty, and dramatic.

Do I believe it is/could be the inspired word of God? Sure. Direct orders of history and science from his mouth through the brains of men, and the hands of scribes? Not on your life.

God is.

That's all that is certain for me, the rest is all negotiable, and no variety of answers on any "hill" or topic would change my understanding of...

God is.

Once you get that, the journey truly begins. Some find their "hills", some discover that their "hill" doesn't have to look like anyone else's "hill", or that the hill itself just isn't really all that important as long as one single concept is grabbed hold of...

God is.

Essential: dignity and equality of every human being.

This core belief means that I am deeply offended by a belief system purporting that gays, women, muslims, LDS, athiests, etc, are less worthy of association/knowing/value than others. For me, it means that I will not intentionally support/join a group that doesn't hold up this core value.

I have turned down joining otherwise lovely hs groups that had a SOF that excluded others even though it would be acceptable for me (i.e., Chirstians only; I am Christian, but I don't want to join a play group that excludes non-Christians! If it is a CHURCH or a BIBLE STUDY, then fine; I have no problem excluding others who don't share the beliefs. But, if it's a math club? Uh, that is just mean, IMHO, so I won't do it. I believe that those kinds of SOF rules are designed largely to punish and marginilize others, and I won't be a part of it.

Likewise, although voting is very complex since there are no perfect parties or canditdates, I am nearly single-issue when it comes to gay rights. I will choose the party/candidate who is best on this issue nearly every time, unless that party/candidate was really a lunatic on other important issues.

I will also avoid and work against groups who are anti-LDS, anti-Catholic, anti-Muslim, racist, etc. I just can't support a belief system that is designed to suppress weaker/minority groups. It so happens that anti-gay discrimination is the most virulent in our current culture, and so it is where my attention usually lies, but I get very worked up about other discrimination as well. I am sure if I lived in the Middle East, then womens equality would be at the top of my mind as well.

I agree that 6 Days is the Basis of the Entire Holy Bible.

I know this thread isn't for debating theology, but I starkly disagree with this statement. The basis of the entire Bible is JESUS. The whole story; the lead-up, the moments with Him and what happened afterward, it's all about Him.

That said, I used to believe the Creation story was literal and that the earth was young. I have since changed my stance. Fact is, the Creation story wasn't taken literally until a few hundred years after Christ's death. It was written as a story to inspire the Israelites who had been held captive in another land.

I now accept the OE POV and I'm still toying with evolution. But, for me, the main things are that we believe the same foundational things. Jesus is God. He died for our sins. He rose again and He will return. Those are the things I'm not willing to budge on.

I know how you feel. Since changing my beliefs I have felt like I need to hide them from other Christians for fear of being labeled a heretic. There are very few people I feel comfortable sharing my beliefs with because I've already seen how people feel threatened and treat you differently when they know you don't agree with them. It's as if I'm less of a Christian in their eyes. I would hate for my kids to miss out on a good opportunity because of our beliefs. Seems pretty unChrist-like to shun those with differing beliefs. But I can't ignore what I know.

To answer your question, my hill has flattened out over the last year. The only hill worth "dying" on is for my family, which includes a handful of dear friends as well. If (and it's an if for me now) there is a god, I can only accept that he/she would create us out of love and not some twisted, voyeristic game. My only "hill" would be love.

Well put!

I suppose it depends on who in on the hill with me.

The OPs example of people who are cutting out others due to believing a six day creation is quite mind boggling to me. I don't want to be so insular that I only socialize with people of the exact same faith. I think it is quite ridiculous. It is too limiting. Too holier than thou. And frankly I personally find it un-Christian.

On the other hand if the fool on the hill with me is some wackdoodle with a gun demanding that I renounce Jesus and join him (wackdoodle) in the revolution for his god, I'd have to just let wackdoodle shoot me. That is if somehow wackdoodle got the jump on me and I was bound hand and foot and unable to otherwise fight.

Yes. Yes. Yes. :iagree: