Menu

A neighbor just stopped by to chat with my husband

She told him she's noticed one of our cars parked out in front of our house overnight, and did we know that it's a parking violation? She wanted to let us know so we won't get a ticket.

I just searched on our city's website and found that it's true - there is NO overnight street parking allowed on any city streets unless the neighborhood has applied for an exception (which would then be posted on a sign).

We do have room in our driveway for all 3 of our cars, but sometimes it's more convenient to leave one on the street.

I am :confused::confused: We just moved out of a house with a draconian HOA. It never occurred to us that a city ordinance would be worse than an HOA.

I think it has to do with possible interference with city emergency or routine services that require the space. I lived on a street once with a city code enforcer freak, trust me, it wasn't pretty. I mean seriously...

Made Gladys Kravetz from Betwitched look like Mother Theresa.

"Abner! Abner!" :lol:

We can park on the street, God forbid we try to be considerate and move the car onto our grass! We once parked a vehicle half on the street and half on the grass. (Actually, it was mostly on the grass, but the driver side tires were both on the street.) Our neighbors called 911 on us for a parking violation and the cops dropped off a brochure detailing the city's parking ordinances. The brochure confirmed that yes, in the event of a parking violation, calling 911 is the correct course of action. :blink:

So, we moved the car completely onto the street where it is more in the way, and we haven't had a problem since. I get that this is to prevent people from having a bunch of broken down cars rusting in their front lawn but it's a typical example of a law created to prevent one thing being misapplied to other situations.

We live in the county and I wish we had a "no parking overnight" ordinance. It's such a pain to drive down my road, there are at least 20 cars parked on either side. We have to drive down the middle of the road and pull over to let other cars by. Roads are for driving on not parking on.

We live in the county and I wish we had a "no parking overnight" ordinance. It's such a pain to drive down my road, there are at least 20 cars parked on either side. We have to drive down the middle of the road and pull over to let other cars by. Roads are for driving on not parking on.

:iagree: we have the same problem here. And so did the fire department the night the house down the street burned to the ground last year.

I can see why you'd feel annoyed.

OTOH, I can also see why it'd be useful. The person across the street from us parks multiple cars and a huge trailer in the road. It's hard for DH to get the tiny Kia out of our driveway, and impossible for me to get my SUV out of the driveway without going through the grass!

I lived on a street like that growing up. We had an amazingly long driveway and my dad like to 'collect' used cars. We could fit six cars in the driveway. Imagine what it was like to move all of them because Mom wanted to take the one closest to the house to the grocery store.......:tongue_smilie:

On the plus side, I am absolutely amazing at backing up vehicles from all that practice backing cars out of that darn driveway to play musical cars.

We live in a town with a similar ordinance. While it is annoying at times, it does make it easier for the police to notice something odd at night as the drive by glancing down the streets. It has allowed them to stop a number of crimes. A few weeks ago they noticed a car parked on the street at 2:30 in the morning and went to investigate--found a prominent man from the adacent town (who was apparently unaware of the parking restrictions) in a car with a minor male he had met in an online chat room, which led to his arrest for sexual assault among other things.

The ordinance also came in handy several weeks ago when we had invited a single friend over for dinner, not realizing quite how lonely he was and at 2:00am he was still at our house! We were able to say politely, "Our town tickets cars parked ont he street after 2:00am" to give him a hint...

It has also put an end to some large, late night teen parties in the neighborhood.

A year or so back, three neighborhoods in our small city were made into restricted parking zones with even/odd parking (park on the odd side of the street on odd numbered days, etc.). There have been a few new neighbors I have had to warn about this so they do not get the surprise of a $50 ticket as the city parking code guy really is on his toes!

But - the areas (my street included) are older neighborhoods, with a lot of multi-family homes with LOTS of cars and when both sides of a street are full it is hard for emergency vehicles, snow plows, street cleaners, weekly garbage trucks, etc. to get down the street. Most folks have only older, single-car garages, but they are detached and at the back of the property, so the driveways are long (and narrow) and cars can be "stacked".

This reminds me of when we first moved into a townhome (before the house we live in now) and had pulled up in the spaces right in front of our front door to unload a station wagon and moving truck...only to have a new neighbor come over to tell us that it was assigned parking, and the spaces in front of our door did not belong to us!!! We had to unpack and move the car and truck super fast!

Edited by JFSinIL

I thought that was pretty much standard everywhere. It's a parking violation here too. When we got our driveway sealed last year, we had to call the police department and let them know so we could get a 3-day waiver on the overnight parking.

Earlier in our marriage, dh & I lived in a nice residential neighborhood smack- dab in the middle of busy Brookline, MA (borders Boston). There was a *zero* tolerance policy for cars parked on the street overnight. The town would ticket, boot, and tow constantly. Thank your lucky stars you were warned so nicely. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

LOL This is normal life on just about every British road all times of the day and night. :lol:

Many people don't have front drives/garages and most streets have cars parked. I probably wave people through/get waved through tight spaces about every fifty yards in most small towns/villages.

Laura

Our former city had that ordinance. It was some time frame, like no parking between 2am and 5am.

We didn't get a parking pass because we had room in our driveway and didn't want the cars on the street, but the ordinance was there.

Dawn

:lol: Not if you live in a historic city on the east coast.

OK, that is really funny - I have a mental picture of dancing cars doing the parking spot shuffle. :D

A year or so back, three neighborhoods in our small city were made into restricted parking zones with even/off parking (park on the odd side of the street on odd numbered days, etc.). There have been a few new neighbors I have had to warn about this so they do not get the surprise of a $50 ticket as the city parking code guy really is on his toes!

But - the areas (my street included) are older neighborhoods, with a lot of multi-family homes with LOTS of cars and when both sides of a street are full it is hard for emergency vehicles, snow plows, street cleaners, weekly garbage trucks, etc. to get down the street. Most folks have only older, single-car garages, but they are detached and at the back of the property, so the driveways are long (and narrow) and cars can be "stacked".

This reminds me of when we first moved into a townhome (before the house we live in now) and had pulled up in the spaces right in front of our front door to unload a station wagon and moving truck...only to have a new neighbor come over to tell us that it was assigned parking, and the spaces in front of our door did not belong to us!!! We had to unpack and move the car and truck super fast!

I live in a suburb outside a major city (but also considered a city itself). Overnight on-street parking is only banned in the winter. The streets are full of cars all day, and some overnight outside of snow season. The streets were built wide enough that it really isn't an issue.

You all made me curious! I looked up our new city....the rule here is, according the website, that you can't leave a car parked on the street for more than 10 continuous hours. So I guess if you have too many overnight guests to fit in the driveway, you'd better make sure they don't like to sleep in.

Every city I have lived in has this ordinance. No overnight street parking unless prior permission is granted. We did get an exception when we had a new driveway put in and when they replaced our sidewalk. I don't like it when there are cars on the street. It makes it difficult to get from one end to the other.

;) In my world those two I bolded are generally mutually exclusive.

No parking on the streets for more than 3 hours here; and no overnight parking. If you have a sidewalk on your side of the street, you cannot park across it and block any of the sidewalk. That is a $60 fine.

If 1 person on your street complains about one specific car, then the entire neighbourhood is checked and anyone who is parked on the street, etc gets a ticket.

It can be a PITA sometimes when you have overnight guests - but it definitely keeps the street clear.

I think it has to do with possible interference with city emergency or routine services that require the space. I lived on a street once with a city code enforcer freak, trust me, it wasn't pretty. I mean seriously...

Made Gladys Kravetz from Betwitched look like Mother Theresa.

"Abner! Abner!" :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

We are only restricted from parking on the street when there is snow clearance going on.

I actually kind of like it when the road is narrowed by parking cars - it makes people slow their cars down.

Except on a street that is so narrowed that two cars going opposite directions cannot pass each other and one has to wait at the end of the parked cars for the other to pass.

Except on a street that is so narrowed that two cars going opposite directions cannot pass each other and one has to wait at the end of the parked cars for the other to pass.

We have a street like this. With all the one way streets in the city, we are surprised that ours isn't. People park on both sides because there is literally no where else to park. At times, we have had to park a block away to find a space. The city lot behind us is being torn up for drainage right now. Even with that small lot, the streets are full. There are no garages, there are only two private driveways on our street. We have rowhouses and narrow streets. To have laws like I've heard here, would mean that no one would be permitted to own a car.

I like the continual acts of courtesy prompted by these situations.

Laura

I'm coming back to this really late because we were traveling and I could see the responses...but couldn't log in to reply. :)

Every city I have lived in has this ordinance. No overnight street parking...

I'm surprised at how many have said this - I just can't believe I got to the age of 45 and have never lived in a city like this, or even heard of such an ordinance! In my adulthood, I've lived in 8 cities in Texas, Oregon & California, and this is a first!

How nice of your neighbor to let you know instead of calling the cops on you!

Yes, it was! Everybody on the street knows we're new, so now I'm wondering why nobody else had told us!

I'm in a suburb of a city where that is *very* common in the neighborhoods.

We visited my mom's this weekend and it is a NIGHTMARE to go down the street we take out of the subdivision at her house. Cars line both sides of the street making it challenging to drive down at all.

In our subdivision, there is an extra car width on each side of the road so parking on the street doesn't change traffic past being mindful of opening doors, people, etc. It also makes the subdivision more comfortable, not so "tight."

On the other hand, they have longer driveways so you can fit the cars there and we can't. This has really become an issue with us with all our visitors and now that we also have three vehicles. Because of our mailbox, we can't park directly in front of our house. And our neighbor on the other side doesn't want us parking over the property line (if it extended into the street) --they haven't SAID anything, but they've done some weird things to make it obvious lately.

Parking would be in my top five reasons to move.