Menu

What do you do if a package didn't get to buyer?

I am just curious...I mailed out a package, with Delivery Confirmation. I went to the usps website and it shows delivered on Friday at 3pm. The lady pm'ed me and said she didn't get it?

I told her that perhaps she should contact the post office as they show it arriving at their post office Friday morning and actually delivering it to her Friday afternoon.

Not sure what I should do, I don't think there is anything I can do?

Kim

Yeah, I'd send her a copy of the notification you got that says it was delivered and that the package isn't your responsibility beyond the delivery. If it really didn't arrive, that sucks for her, but the purpose of delivery confirmation is to prevent a buyer from claiming fraud. If you have to pay her back, that defeats the entire purpose of paying extra for the delivery confirmation!

I would also suggest you recommend she talk to all members of her household, neighbors, landlord, etc. My husband (at work) had someone in a froth about not receiving something. The PO showed it had been delivered. Finally the customer went to his landlord's office or whatever, and they had held it there.

I think if the PO shows they delivered, you aren't responsible. Unlike, say, if it gets lost, when you are. Which stinks, when it's the PO's fault. But I'd check ebay/paypal rules about it.

I would do a couple of things:

1) Tell her to double check the address that it was sent to to make sure it is correct.

2) If she is in an apartment/community type setting, tell her to check at the front office, sometimes the postman will not deliver to the apartment for whatever reason and leaves the package there with someone, marking it as delivered.

3) Lastly, she should call the post office and have them track it as well as call the nearest post office location to her residence and see if it is there.

I've ordered MANY things and the 2 companies that always give me problems are USPS and UPS. With USPS, I had several instances of the postman not bothering to bring my package up (since I lived on an upper level) and just giving me the notice that it was at the post office. I've also had both companies drop things off at the front and had no way of knowing other than to think to check there when I saw my package was delivered but I obviously didn't have it. Lastly, a recurring issue I've had with USPS recently is that they have held things at the location, marked as delivered, and then when I called and asked them to redeliver it for some reason they didn't and continued to keep it in the back. On onr item, I went back and forth with them for quite some time before I finally got a lady who took the initiative to make sure it was with the outgoing whilst on the phone with me and I received it the next day; in another case, I never received the book because it took so long to get it (it was college-related) that eventually i no longer needed it and was tired of harassing them so I felt that it was not worth the effort as I hadn't spent much on it.

I don't think you're responsible since you do have delivery confirmation, so long as you put her address info in correctly. However, I'd say its pretty likely she will find her package at one of the above places.

I agree with stripe. I once bought some books that were shipped to me media mail. I'm pretty patient, but was starting to wonder where on earth those books were. My husband found the package in his office! Apparently my dear Mother-in-Law answered the door and decided that was where the package belonged. She had Alzheimer's and my husband isn't the most observant person on the block. I have no idea how long those books were in his office.

Yes, agreeing with others. Have her check with her family and neighbors. Look by all doors and in the garage and porches if she has any. I have had this happen to me twice and both times the package was there, but someone else had brought it in and never mentioned it.

Since you have confirmation that it was delivered I would say it's now out of your hands/responsibility. If in the future you send a package that does NOT arrive and it's been plenty of time you can file a Mail Loss/Rifling Report (PS Form 1510) with the post office. This has to be done by the party that mailed the package. A kind seller did this for me when a package had not arrived after a couple of weeks and the post office found the package.

I'm actually the gal the OP sold the book to:001_smile:. Yep, the delivery confirmation said my package was delivered on Fri. I've been stalking my mailbox for days, and never saw it delivered. I called the post office, heard the gal speak to my post man who also said he remembers it being delivered:glare:. I ran down to him when he was delivering our mail, hoping the package was there. He insists it was in my locked mailbox yesterday, but I told him our mailbox was empty last night. No mail at all. The only thing I can think of is that I rec'd another package last week. He may be confusing the two. I then called the post office again....the gal told me that she told the postman to look throughout our complex(hundreds of locked mailboxes)for our package. Her advice to me was to put a stop payment on my credit card, which I told her was NOT the right thing to do. And, I don't plan to do that. At this point, I feel like it's the postman's word against mine. He kept insisting it was there....I kept insisting it was not. What would you do now? First time this has ever happened to me...of course it's on my most expensive used book purchase:tongue_smilie:

Tough situation! There can be a lot of things that went wrong -- including the seller writing the wrong address on the envelope by mistake. So it might show as delivered, and it may have been, but to the wrong address. In that case, why should the buyer be out the money? I'm not saying that's what happened, but the situation isn't always as easy as, "Well, delivery confirmation says it was delivered so you're off the hook."

Whatever happened, hopefully it will be found! I'm waiting on a package that should have gotten here by now, so am hoping along with you that it still shows up.

I use the shipping thing from USPS so I print my labels, I had the correct address, that was the first thing I checked. I double checked with what she typed, in my pm, I double checked with what was on the paypal recpt. I also pm'ed her with the address, looking right at my recpt from the Click N Ship printout...so...I think the guy is mistaken. He said he delivered it yesterday, well....right on the usps website it shows delivered on the 18th, so..he is wrong in that and she apparently didn't get any mail yesterday.

I think she needs to keep calling then and keep checking. I also told her to check with her neighbors just in case he stuck it in the wrong slot!

I hope this gets resolved, it is very frustrating. I only had one other time I had to deal with the post office and the package didn't arrive to the buyer, but..we had insurance and it was still a mess!

I just think that because this is a homeschool book, HOD Preparing TE manual and another book, someone will return it to her if it got put in the wrong box!

I hope it all works out!!!

I use the shipping thing from USPS so I print my labels, I had the correct address, that was the first thing I checked. I double checked with what she typed, in my pm, I double checked with what was on the paypal recpt. I also pm'ed her with the address, looking right at my recpt from the Click N Ship printout...so...I think the guy is mistaken. He said he delivered it yesterday, well....right on the usps website it shows delivered on the 18th, so..he is wrong in that and she apparently didn't get any mail yesterday.

I think she needs to keep calling then and keep checking. I also told her to check with her neighbors just in case he stuck it in the wrong slot!

I hope this gets resolved, it is very frustrating. I only had one other time I had to deal with the post office and the package didn't arrive to the buyer, but..we had insurance and it was still a mess!

I just think that because this is a homeschool book, HOD Preparing TE manual and another book, someone will return it to her if it got put in the wrong box!

I hope it all works out!!!

DO NOT STOP CALLING if you do not find it, maybe he will "remember"!!

I am just curious...I mailed out a package, with Delivery Confirmation. I went to the usps website and it shows delivered on Friday at 3pm. The lady pm'ed me and said she didn't get it?

I told her that perhaps she should contact the post office as they show it arriving at their post office Friday morning and actually delivering it to her Friday afternoon.

Not sure what I should do, I don't think there is anything I can do?

Kim

What would you do if it were a similar situation where you ordered something of equal value from a retailer and they had proof of delivery, but you did not receive it? Would you expect them to tell you it was your responsibility? Like it or not, when you sell something to someone, it's your responsibility to get it to them. That's why shippers such as USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc. offer insurance.

As you've found out, delivery confirmation only "confirms" whether an item was delivered or not. It doesn't confirm whether or not it was delivered to the right address or accepted by the right person. Signature confirmation would have helped, but it's not flawless.

Ultimately, you shouldn't stick the buyer with the loss because the item didn't reach them. If they are scamming you, you can only hope they get what's coming to them in the end.

:iagree: This is why I spend the money on insurance vs. conf.

I would issue a full refund.

I believe that to be my legal and moral responsibility.

Delivery confirmation does *not* prove a package was delivered to the recipient, and my obligation as a seller is not fulfilled until the seller receives the item. Period. *Why* s/he didn't receive it is irrelevant.

(This is why it is the *seller* who has to purchase insurance on packages)

The USPS needs to track the package down. It is not your responsibility. If UPS says it delivers a package and you didn't get it, UPS finds the package. This has happened to me several times and every time UPS has found the package.

I would take the confirmation number down to the post office and talk with them. USPS needs to find the package.

The response received from the postman explains why delivery confirmation by USPS is not the same as tracking by UPS or FedEx.

If the package is not found, I would refund the money. Any other company would do that or replace the items in the package.

What would you do if it were a similar situation where you ordered something of equal value from a retailer and they had proof of delivery, but you did not receive it? Would you expect them to tell you it was your responsibility? Like it or not, when you sell something to someone, it's your responsibility to get it to them. That's why shippers such as USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc. offer insurance.

As you've found out, delivery confirmation only "confirms" whether an item was delivered or not. It doesn't confirm whether or not it was delivered to the right address or accepted by the right person. Signature confirmation would have helped, but it's not flawless.

Ultimately, you shouldn't stick the buyer with the loss because the item didn't reach them. If they are scamming you, you can only hope they get what's coming to them in the end.

I agree that it can't simply be assumed that the seller is off the hook because the package was "delivered". On the other hand, I don't know if buying insurance would have helped in this situation. If the post office claims they delivered it, then I wonder if they wouldn't refuse to pay an insurance claim.

Every time I mail something at the post office anymore, I feel like I'm gambling. It's really pathetic and it never used to be like this.

Lisa

So...not to stir things up but...I am not UPS or Fed Ex or a big business, I am a homeschool mom who sells curriculum so I can buy curriculum. When I buy something, if it is more than a certain amount of money, I ask for them to insure it and I pay for the insurance. I feel like I am "gambling" a bit when I buy used but it usually turns out well, almost always.

I am not saying I will not pay her back, I am not sure yet what to do on that but....I put DC on EVERYTHING I mail out. This says it was delivered. Having worked at the post office and delivered mail myself, scanning the package is a must. So...when you deliver it and only when it is actually taken to the door/mail box, is when you run your scanner over the numbers on the printed label. So...this package showed arriving at 9 am, that is when the post office scanned it (it arrived at the post office), then it shows delivered at 3pm, this is when the postal worker arrives at the location and scans the package (a must) when handing it to the person or putting it in the mail box.

So....as I said, if she doesn't get it I may refund half or all, I am not sure, I needed that money to buy the stuff I need for school. I don't sell things, usually, because I want to...it is mainly because I need to. I am not sure what to do, will decide with her probably...IF it doesn't show up but I am guessing it has to be at a neighbors or at the post office.

I guess I have always just figured if I buy something and want to BE SURE, I get insurance and I pay for it. To file an insurance claim, however...this may not have worked in this case either if the postal person is saying it was for sure delivered to the correct address. You usually have to have the wripped envelope or so much time has to have passed for it to not show up so...

However...I feel badly for her and want to help her, if possible...so...if she doesn't get it and truly can't afford to get another one, I will do what I can for her...

Edited by Blessed with seven

Well, I just spoke with the post master at a different post office. Our town post office is further away, and I needed to mail something at the post office down the street(different town). He said that the scanning does not happen the same way at apartment outdoor locked boxes as they do for individual non locked boxes. He said that the post master should be able to track when the postman actually scanned the item, but it becomes null in certain situations (possibly my situation). He gave me the name of my post master and I will be going to speak with him tomorrow.

The frustrating thing is that our postman insists we had a full mailbox(including this package) yesterday, and we did not. Totally empty. He never goes to our front door, though I checked. He will either leave packages at our garage or in our mailbox. He actually said that the package had been sitting in our box for a couple of days which makes no sense at all. We check our mail everyday. He had the mailbox door open so I could look into all the boxes....not in any of those. I stood with him at our mailbox going back and forth, and finally gave up. So frustrated. My guess is that he made a mistake and is not admitting it.

I actually disagree. She did fulfill her obligation-this is not her fault. It's one thing if the packaging was inadequate or the address written incorrectly. Here it seems to be out for delivery or this was the fault of the USPS. So it should be the responsibility of the USPS. Because honestly...other than the buyer's word that it wasn't actually delivered, she has no proof of that. I have seen a few cases of the buyer lying about that.

USPS very clearly states that they do not take that responsibility. ...if you want them to have the responsibility you have to buy insurance. When we choose to use their system, we are accepting those limits on their responsibility.

But there's also no proof that the package was not actually delivered, right? Other than her word. And while I'd like to believe everyone and every claim, a lot of us have been burnt bad on the FS forums here and elsewhere lately.

I have seen a few cases of the buyer lying about that.

Just felt compelled to say....this is not the case in this situation. And, I have friends on this board who can verify that to be true. I understand what you are saying, but just needed to make that clear.:001_smile:

UPDATE! I got home a little before 5pm and went in through the garage.....just went down to our garage again and there it was!! It must have been delivered to the wrong house and someone walked it over??? Who knows!

:party: And, thank God....He answered my prayer! Though, I admit to having cried some tears over this today(just the straw to an already heavy back-having a bad week). Now, praying He will answer those other more important prayers. :001_smile:

Definitely not her fault, but that isn't the same thing as fulfilling her obligation.

ETA: seller's obligation= getting package to buyer USPS is an intermediary that buyer chooses to use (one that as part of its terms of service explicitly denies liability unless the seller buys insurance). If that intermediary, acting as a seller's agent, does not successfully deliver the package, the seller has not fulfilled his/her obligation.

USPS very clearly states that they do not take that responsibility. ...if you want them to have the responsibility you have to buy insurance. When we choose to use their system, we are accepting those limits on their responsibility.

I've always thought it was the buyers responsibility to purchase the insurance in a transaction like this, not the seller.

I would not refund her if it says "delivered". FWIW, many carriers scan in before they deliver it to your physical address. I have had that happen a few times-it scans in as delivered at so and so time...but my mail person isn't there for hours after that!

That is frustrating and I can tell you...they are NOT supposed to do that, it is supposed to be scanned when it is delivered, not an hour before!

I actually disagree. She did fulfill her obligation-this is not her fault. It's one thing if the packaging was inadequate or the address written incorrectly. Here it seems to be out for delivery or this was the fault of the USPS. So it should be the responsibility of the USPS. Because honestly...other than the buyer's word that it wasn't actually delivered, she has no proof of that. I have seen a few cases of the buyer lying about that.

:iagree: It shows delivered so how does the seller know for a fact that it wasn't delivered? Not saying this buyer is dishonest but I know it happens.

UPDATE! I got home a little before 5pm and went in through the garage.....just went down to our garage again and there it was!! It must have been delivered to the wrong house and someone walked it over??? Who knows!

:party: And, thank God....He answered my prayer! Though, I admit to having cried some tears over this today(just the straw to an already heavy back-having a bad week). Now, praying He will answer those other more important prayers. :001_smile:

Yay! So glad it was delivered!

This is why the post office stinks.

DC is supposed to confirm delivery. It's ridiculous.

:iagree: Why even have delivery confirmation if you won't stand by it?

YAY!!!

Agreeing with Eliana completely. When I sell, I get insurance if it's more than i'm willing to lose. I had a package get lost that I purchased here last year. My PO obviously lost it. DC said that it was waiting for me at the PO and a note had been left (nope). It was no where to be found. (small po, the manager did look) who knows what happened to it. The seller and I eventually split the cost. I suggeted it to keep the peace. But it was very frustrating. If you sell, buy insurance! I do agree with whatever pp suggested having guidelines spelled out so that everyone follows the same rules. I'm guessing they don't want that responsibility, though. It does make you more careful to ask questions when buyig.

So glad it was found. Truly a miracle. ;)

I've always thought it was the buyers responsibility to purchase the insurance in a transaction like this' date=' not the seller.[/quote']

I buy/sell quite a bit of yarn, and my policy is buyer pays shipping and insurance is optional at their cost and discretion. I specifically state once I hand the package over to USPS my obligation ends. I can't be responsible for the USPS.

I have also had a similar situation, and I did help put pressure on the USPS by calling for the buyer on multiple occasions. The package was found behind some mail carts. It had been pre scanned and fell out.

The frustrating thing is that our postman insists we had a full mailbox(including this package) yesterday, and we did not. Totally empty. He never goes to our front door, though I checked. He will either leave packages at our garage or in our mailbox. He actually said that the package had been sitting in our box for a couple of days which makes no sense at all. We check our mail everyday. He had the mailbox door open so I could look into all the boxes....not in any of those. I stood with him at our mailbox going back and forth, and finally gave up. So frustrated. My guess is that he made a mistake and is not admitting it.

THIS is what I would tell the post master. If this mail carrier is insisting there is mail in your box when there isn't, something is wrong. What else might have been in your box that got lost as well?

ETA: I see the package was delivered but I would still complain that your postal carrier doesn't seem to be telling the truth. I can understand him/her trying to argue he/she did deliver that package but to assure you that your box was "full"? Where is the other mail?

Edited by Night Elf

About how expensive a sale do you think merits the insurance cost added?

Do most sellers simply build the cost of insurance in to their selling price, for all sales, to be safe?

This depends on you, what can you afford to replace without flinching? For some folks it would be higher than others.

I buy/sell quite a bit of yarn, and my policy is buyer pays shipping and insurance is optional at their cost and discretion. I specifically state once I hand the package over to USPS my obligation ends. I can't be responsible for the USPS.

I have also had a similar situation, and I did help put pressure on the USPS by calling for the buyer on multiple occasions. The package was found behind some mail carts. It had been pre scanned and fell out.

The bold print above is against paypal policy. In a dispute they will back the buyer regardless of whether or not the buyer declined the insurance. You cannot give the buyer the option. The seller is the one with the option to purchase insurance. Paypal advises the seller to account for the cost in their pricing. I don't know if you are using paypal, but if so, you are taking a chance.

I've just learned that sellers cannot charge extra for insurance, though they can "hide" the cost in the price of the item. I really don't understand this though. It's considered an add-on, just like Del conf. and sellers can charge for that. Why not insurance?

I've just learned that sellers cannot charge extra for insurance' date=' though they can "hide" the cost in the price of the item. I really don't understand this though. It's considered an add-on, just like Del conf. and sellers can charge for that. Why not insurance?[/quote']

Del. confirmation is for the seller's peace of mind and proof of delivery. As a seller, insurance is also insurance to prove to YOU that it was shipped and received in good condition. So legally it is the seller's responsibility. I pay insurance for most things over $20 that I ship. Sometimes I forget to, but I always do for anything over $40.