Menu

Why do homeschoolers eat their own?

The program we've been involved in provides up to $1200 per student per year to use towards the student's education. That money can be used to order curriculum, supplies (ie. art and science materials), and classes. Between my two children, we are able to get all of our curricula, quality art supplies, everything we need for science labs, and most of my son's taekwondo classes covered. One year, we had less curricula and supply needs so they got really good swimming instruction for PE for 9 months. I can't afford any of that so I put up with the hoops* in order to give my kids a better education.

* The hoops are writing a student learning plan for each student, submitting order forms to get curricula and supplies ordered rather than ordering them myself, my children emailing their teacher each week, writing a monthly review of what we've covered, and annual testing. Homeschooler have to test annually in this state so having the school pay for that testing is also a benefit. And we can opt out of the state's testing and go with another option.

got it. So basically, by giving you a small amount of money, the school district can claim your child as one of their students and capitalize on the thousands of $$ from the government.

I can see why the homeschoolers that fought so hard to make homeschooling legal view that kind of program as a slap in the face.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They didn't care, they had it in their heads that homeschooling automatically = failure.

I wonder how much truth there is to this.

Because I think there has to be some truth, even if it's merely that those parents who can't do it send their kids back to school woefully behind.

But homeschoolers pick up on that, too. I think it's a reasonable concern.

And frankly, having a bunch of people who do nothing with their kids and end up unskilled, ignorant, and ill behaved (if one believes what one reads on the internet) is a concern for other homeschoolers, because it provides the impetus for legislative moves to restrict homeschooling or other such matters that would impact others.

Or not because homeschooling is safe, no matter what people actually do with their right to educate their own children.

I think people feel:

* unsure about themselves

* better if they favorably compare themselves to the worst case scenario (those awful public schools where they watch p@rn movies all day long, for example, or those awful homeschoolers who play video games all day long)

* unsure how others' behavior impacts others' views of them (from people at the grocery store to their congressperson)

while at the same time no one is clear how homeschoolers really do (there are rumors that they do well, but is this true today) and if there will be some lockdown on hs rights

got it. So basically, by giving you a small amount of money, the school district can claim your child as one of their students and capitalize on the thousands of $$ from the government.

I can see why the homeschoolers that fought so hard to make homeschooling legal view that kind of program as a slap in the face.

I'm not familiar with these programs so I'm not really defending them. I don't know enough about them to do that. But, I will say that as American citizens (and not everyone on this board is but they are a citizen somewhere) that we are claimed by our 'govt' and capitalized on every. single. day.

I doubt seriously that these students are harming the majority by using funding that is available. I do see that many would not make that choice. But, if the option is there; it's there. I see it like any other gov't funded opportunity. You can either participate or not. I don't consider it a slap in the face at all. It's an option/choice. If the parent is willing to give up 'some rights', that is their decision. Freedom of choice is the most critical point to remember. Being upset that someone chose something a little, or a lot, different from you is an extremely dangerous mindset to entertain.

Sheldon, I'm with the ALE parents all the time, I see absolute unique situations at every turn. No one is in the same boat out there. Not even within a single family trying to meet the needs of their kids.

If the only information/education on what an ALE is comes from a few snapshots on this forum, then do you really consider yourself fully informed to come to a quality conclusion?

I remember going through this same murky waters when I was involved in a start up charter.

No, that is a very simplistic view and it doesn't quite work that way. The virtual school still has to maintain a building and hire staff. They have certified teachers who oversee the student's progress. They offer onsite classes that have to be taught by someone in a building paid for within their budget and cleaned by a janitor. They have teachers who review curricula to determine if it is fundable. They have IT personnel which are crucial since everything is done online from emailed weekly contacts to ordering materials to testing. They have a test proctor. They have receptionists, secretaries, principals, and superintendents. And they have to do it all at a discount because the state cut funding for ALE students. I'm sure having an ALE helps the overall school district and the B&M students that go there, but I don't have a problem with my students' enrollment benefiting other people's children.

I'm not familiar with these programs so I'm not really defending them. I don't know enough about them to do that. But, I will say that as American citizens (and not everyone on this board is but they are a citizen somewhere) that we are claimed by our 'govt' and capitalized on every. single. day.

I doubt seriously that these students are harming the majority by using funding that is available. I do see that many would not make that choice. But, if the option is there; it's there. I see it like any other gov't funded opportunity. You can either participate or not. I don't consider it a slap in the face at all. It's an option/choice. If the parent is willing to give up 'some rights', that is their decision. Freedom of choice is the most critical point to remember. Being upset that someone chose something a little, or a lot, different from you is an extremely dangerous mindset to entertain.

:iagree:

It reminds me of how some people are adamant about not taking government help in the form of WIC or food stamps, no matter what and look down on people who need to use those programs for a bit to get back on their feet. The money is already there - you paid for it with your taxes before you got into that financial situation - and so long as you're not abusing it, why not use it?

My feeling is that there are some people who wouldn't hs without the ALE programs. Either they can't afford it, or they aren't confident enough to start out on their own without a 'real' teacher. The children still reap most of the benefits of homeschooling (family time, one-on-one instruction, moving at your own pace, separation from peer pressure, etc), but there's just more oversight from the government. It seems to me that's still far superior to ps.

Now obviously, if the government comes in and tries to force all hs'ers into that mold, there will be a real reason to push back against it. But until that point, why can't we just consider it a reasonable option for families that need it?

There is always the option of taking a passionate energy and lobby in defense of it before the need arises as well.

Does anyone here visit, write and stay involved in the positive press and legal standings of HS laws/community in their area or at a State or Federal level?

It would be a pretty constructive use of time and such.

The war is over. The mainstream is looking for increased options for education including public school reform, things like "magnet" schools, charters, and a variety of school-home partnerships from hybrids, to ALES, to virtual schools.

All this, plus a mainstream acceptance (and even admiration) for homeschooling. Homeschooilng is no longer seen as something exclusively for kooky people on the fringe. I guess there are enough "pioneers" left who think the "government is the devil" to still give people pause, but—in the main—this battle is over.

Those fighting rear-guard actions are doing more harm than good.

Bill

The war is over. The mainstream is looking for increased options for education including public school reform, things like "magnet" schools, charters, and a variety of school-home partnerships from hybrids, to ALES, to virtual schools.

All this, plus a mainstream acceptance (and even admiration) for homeschooling. Homeschooilng is no longer seen as something exclusively for kooky people on the fringe. I guess there are enough "pioneers" left who think the "government is the devil" to still give people pause, but—in the main—this battle is over.

Bill

I think this is absolutely true. There are some that haven't heard the news, ' the war is over, we won!' There is no need to become paranoid about every available option for homeschooling. Things have changed and the general approval and acceptance has allowed us many different options. It's a good thing!

Bill

I think this is absolutely true. There are some that haven't heard the news, ' the war is over, we won!' There is no need to become paranoid about every available option for homeschooling. Things have changed and the general approval and acceptance has allowed us many different options. It's a good thing!

Bill

The war is over, but homeschooling is big business and those who have made a living fighting the *war* need it to continue on so they can keep drawing a paycheck.

Of course, that is just my opinion. ;)

Bill

Why do homeschoolers eat their own? Fear and Pride.

Yep, I also think we are all guilty of it, hopefully the longer we parent and homeschool the sooner we become less judgmental of each other, but it really depends on the personality.

I was specifically referring to veteran homeschoolers that fought so hard to make homeschooling legal. Where you homeschooling in the 70s? ( Truly asking) I know that today's homeschoolers as a general rule see all choices as fine, but I do understand why those that fought the fight several decades ago do not see it the same.

I was specifically referring to veteran homeschoolers that fought so hard to make homeschooling legal. Where you homeschooling in the 70s? ( Truly asking) I know that today's homeschoolers as a general rule see all choices as fine, but I do understand why those that fought the fight several decades ago do not see it the same.

This is not the 70's. There are different laws in place now - ones that are much more friendly to homeschoolers. Those who use ALE's have already admitted that technically they are public schoolers according to the law. Public schoolers who school at home. Are you as threatened by other public schoolers? Those who use ALE's have also said that they more closely identify personally with those who are technically homeschoolers according to the law. Great! We do have a lot in common.

If there are bills or measures encroaching on homeschooling laws then I will rise up with others to protest and vote against them. But I will not protest individuals who are doing what they are legally entitled to do and who can identify with whoever they please.

This is not the 70's. There are different laws in place now - ones that are much more friendly to homeschoolers. Those who use ALE's have already admitted that technically they are public schoolers according to the law. Public schoolers who school at home. Are you as threatened by other public schoolers? Those who use ALE's have also said that they more closely identify personally with those who are technically homeschoolers according to the law. Great! We do have a lot in common.

If there are bills or measures encroaching on homeschooling laws then I will rise up with others to protest and vote against them. But I will not protest individuals who are doing what they are legally entitled to do and who can identify with whoever they please.

If all of you will carefully re-read my posts, I am saying that I understand why veteran homeschoolers have issues with public funding. I have not expressed my opinion one way or the other. You can stop stomping on me now.

The war is over, but homeschooling is big business and those who have made a living fighting the *war* need it to continue on so they can keep drawing a paycheck.

Of course, that is just my opinion. ;)

Like the HSLDA? ;)

Their scare-tactics (and outright dishonesty) seem motivated by a desire to keep the dollars flowing in, and their energy is aimed at pursuing an agenda that has little to do with "homeschooling" or education.

Bill (mind-reader :D)

I've had to have some learning experiences to temper my judgmental nature.

I have a very good friend who is one of those relaxed-yet-some-might-consider-neglectful homeschoolers. She is really borderline. "They don't need algebra" and "she's 16 now so we aren't schooling anymore, she's just waiting to take her GED".

This has made my skin crawl. The thing is, that OTHERWISE this is a wonderful family, very engaged with each other, very social, very devoted to teaching thier kids life skills and good values. The result has been that her two older boys (one 21 and one 19) are able to have a fine conversation, hold good jobs, are social and kind to others. In other words, THEY ARE GOOD PEOPLE and are functioning just fine as productive members of society. Her daughter, the 16y/o, is shaping up to be the same (and no, they didn't do anything different with the boys, both boys stopped early and got GEDs.)

So....I find myself unable to judge her too harshly. I still value academic rigor and would NEVER go the route she has for my own DD. But what right do I have to judge her based on the way her kids have turned out? If it worked for HER FAMILY, then she did just fine.

No, I wasn't. I was home schooled though. :001_smile: I'm about to turn forty- cough, cough! :tongue_smilie: So, no, I was not part of the beginning pioneer movement, but I do feel I was a part of the movement. It wasn't crazy and totally weird at the time, but it was a little. I always had to explain every. single. time someone asked me about home schooling. But, it's all good. I enjoyed it. So, I've been around awhile in the home school community. I've seen LOT'S of change. I feel grounded in where I've come from and where I'm going with our educational choices. I see everything as PROGRESS. I'm just not threatened by it. However, I do see other opinions on the subject. But, I do think that most of those opinions are simply based on fear.

I'm sorry if I made you feel like I was stomping on you. I really am. I didn't mean to. :confused: I try hard to be very respectful when replying on the boards. So, forgive me if I came across abrasive- didn't mean to!

Like the HSLDA? ;)

Their scare-tactics (and outright dishonesty) seem motivated by a desire to keep the dollars flowing in, and their energy is aimed at pursuing an agenda that has little to do with "homeschooling" or education.

:lol:

I'm not going to say a thing. I'm just enjoying this post- tremendously!

No, I wasn't. I was home schooled though. :001_smile: I'm about to turn forty- cough, cough! :tongue_smilie: So, no, I was not part of the beginning pioneer movement, but I do feel I was a part of the movement. It wasn't crazy and totally weird at the time, but it was a little. I always had to explain every. single. time someone asked me about home schooling. But, it's all good. I enjoyed it. So, I've been around awhile in the home school community. I've seen LOT'S of change. I feel grounded in where I've come from and where I'm going with our educational choices. I see everything as PROGRESS. I'm just not threatened by it. However, I do see other opinions on the subject. But, I do think that most of those opinions are simply based on fear.

I'm sorry if I made you feel like I was stomping on you. I really am. I didn't mean to. :confused: I try hard to be very respectful when replying on the boards. So, forgive me if I came across abrasive- didn't mean to!

So you have been around awhile! I wasn't referring to you about the stomping. Sorry 'bout that.

Those hoops endanger us all. I know you don't see it, and that is ok. But some of us have lived it. And we will continue to fight, for the right to teach our own in true freedom.

I don't believe in the us vs. them mentality anymore. I'm not sure I'd chose an ALE is one was offered in my state, right now the only option is something like K12, but I will defend the right of choice. It's parental controlled educational choice.

Bill

Options. I foresee a future with more educational opportunities, even at the higher levels. Many universities are putting certification classes online, I'm excited to see these options unfold. Education is going to look different in the coming generations. It won't simply be public, private, or homeschool. College (hopefully) won't just be AA or BA/BS then MA or Phd.

In our previous state I was technically an un-regulated private school. I'm sure legitimate private schools organizations might get a tad bristled knowing a school with a enrollment of one is considered "private" according to the state.

I believe in having an educated populace, whatever avenue that takes one down.

Like the HSLDA? ;)

That's who I was thinking of. :D

Jealousy? (Joking, sort of).

Well to quote someone who may be those 1970er's peer: Your old road is rapidly fading: please get out of the new one if you can't lend a hand, for the times they are a-changing.

(Or, to paraphrase Robert Frost: I wasn't a radical in my youth for fear of being a reactionary in my old age.)

Public school is not homeschooling even if it is done in the home. It can not be. Will never be.

I live in a state where no one tells me anything about my children's education except that I must educate them. Thank you TEXAS !!! There are many states that aren't as free.

I repeat I am old school, my money, my way, my rules. In true FREEDOM !! Public school is paid for and governed by others.....No hoops for me !

Anyone who wishes can stomp on me all they want. I can take it, my big girl undies are on.

So? Does that make you feel good? More superior perhaps?

No one is arguing about whether ALE's are categorized by the govt. as homeschooling or public schooling. We're talking about people's attitudes. And you're showing your's loud and clear.

What does a homeschooling board do? Do you mean the board of a co-op?

Just a local group for homeschoolers that does classes, activities, and runs an online discussion forum, similar to this one, but a lot smaller. It's the latter where things get heated at times.

So? Does that make you feel good? More superior perhaps?

No one is arguing about whether ALE's are categorized by the govt. as homeschooling or public schooling. We're talking about people's attitudes. And you're showing your's loud and clear.

According to the government, my family and I fell in the poverty scale for income last year. The gov. definition of "poor" does not define who I am and what I consider myself. I am blessed beyond measure in things the gov. will never take into consideration when defining wealth.

There are a lot of technical definitions with homeschooling. Technically aren't Texan homeschoolers identified as private schoolers?

There are a lot of technical definitions with homeschooling. Technically aren't Texan homeschoolers identified as private schoolers?

I don't know about Texas, but in CA, "homeschooling" does not exist.

You can:

-establish a private school

-use an ISP (private umbrella school)

-use a homestudy option from a public school.

-use a tutor, could be a parent with a teaching credential or employ a credentialed teacher.

I think where the problem stems from is when the government starts defining "homeschooling". I think there should just be two categories under the law: private schooling (which could be done in a classroom-based private school or at home in a single-family private school) and public schooling (which again could be in a classroom-based school or at home using an independent study program/charter/ALE). All private schools should have fall under the same regulations, and if classroom-based private schools don't have to have their students take standardized tests or submit portfolios, then neither should home-based private schools.

The exclusionary stance of certain groups and individuals reminds me very much of another very ugly debate about defining the term "Christian" in a way that excludes two of the largest denominations in the world (Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox). :glare:

An ALE is a public school program. Students enrolled are legally public school students.

So legally, my kids are public school kids. However, if you came into my home any day of the week, you'd never know it. I choose all of their curricula, set my own schedule, and do all of the teaching and grading. The only difference between my family and a homeschooling family is that I write and submit learning goals based on our curricula at the beginning of the year, my kids send our contact person one email per week telling her what they learned that week, and I write a more detailed report once a month providing information on what we covered that month. It's a trade off, but the benefits have been enormous for us.

FWIW, I think that sounds awesome. If it were available in my state, I'd be first in line, and I don't care if that means the homeschool police are going to come and take away my homeschoolers membership card (that I made with the laminator I had to buy to gain entry. ;)) because I'm not a "real" homeschooler.

Most people who are unfamiliar with homeschooling have no idea that there are different methodologies. So when they see what we would term "educational neglect" they assume that's how all homeschoolers do it. I don't want others to assume I share the same boat as those who claim to homeschool but don't educate. If we don't police our own, others will do it for us and we will all be subject to the fallout the non-educating homeschooler causes.

:iagree: Absolutely. I see a lot of that "educational neglect" among homeschoolers around here. It DOES reflect badly on me (and you) because people who have seen the neglect side of things and later hear us say that we homeschool will then give this look that means, "Oh, one of those people."

Like the HSLDA? ;)

You read well. :lol:

Homeschoolers returning to ps get held to a higher standard than the school's own students.

When my boys went to school after seven years of home education, they took the same tests that any child would have taken when changing school. They were placed appropriately in classes: Calvin was put into the top set for everything; Hobbes was offered appropriate work within the integrated classroom.

I'm sorry you've had bad luck, but not all schools are like this. After the boys had been at school for a few months I had a conversation with the deputy head. I mentioned that I felt the school had done a lot to help the boys settle into the routine. He said that their experience of home educated children had been that even if they had been using different styles of learning/curricula, they tended to pick things up very quickly and it wasn't an issue.

Not posting to argue with your experience, but just to offer hope to others who may for any reason want to put their children into school at some point.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Like the HSLDA? ;)

:lol: I'm not saying I approve of your tone, but it's just funny. :D

Homeschoolers returning to ps get held to a higher standard than the school's own students. Some teachers/administrators will find any nitpicky issue they can to prove their opinion that homeschooling is bad. Yet, when their own students have the same issue, an excuse is offered.

I think this must vary widely. I placed a lifelong homeschooler into high school this year. ALL of her teachers have been kind. She even likes the teachers who instruct the classes she doesn't care for. OUR experience with 'evil public school' has been all warm and fuzzy. However, our schools have a good reputation and I handed them a prepared student who is easy to have in class. She is taking the SAME tests that every student takes and does not feel singled out or judged. THIS child makes teaching easy because she's bright, organized, does all of her work, and is socially adept.

If I'd enrolled my SON, I'm sure the experience would be much more complicated. He has a physical disability and cognitive and emotional delays that make teaching him a great deal more work and worry. I'm sure there'd be all sorts of details to constantly iron out if he were in school. I wouldn't consider it a system-wide problem, but part of parenting a special needs child. EVERYTHING is harder ALL THE TIME.

Legally, I am a homeschooling parent AND a public school parent. I've taken to debating and mistrusting myself. :D

Not posting to argue with your experience, but just to offer hope to others who may for any reason want to put their children into school at some point.

Laura

I had the same experience when my youngest son went to school. There were no issues or much of a learning curve. He settled right in, and without ny drama whatsoever from the school. When my oldest dd took Chemistry and Marine Science at the high school (we were allowed to pick and choose), I was told she made hsers look great.

Legally, I am a homeschooling parent AND a public school parent. I've taken to debating and mistrusting myself. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm a homeschooling parent, a public school parent, and a private school parent. Heeheeehee.

You mean like on this thread?

:grouphug: OP

Unfortunately, this is like the mommy wars, as long as there are different types of mommies, there will be wars, and as long as there are different types of homeschoolers, there will be cannibalism. I try to stay out of them in real life, but I like these types of online discussions. I learn a lot from them, and I tend not to take it personally because I don't know anyone here IRL. I would have a hard time being a member of an online local forum. Heck, I'm not even friends with anyone from my local co-op on Facebook! Too many hurt feelings.

As for the rest of this discussion, different strokes for different folks I always say. One day, I'll have to stand before the Lord and answer for how I raised my kids, and I won't be able to point the finger at anyone else. How I choose to educate my kids is my business, and how you choose to educate is yours. End of story.

Blessings,

Dorinda

Edited by coffeefreak
Misspelled my own name! Gotta love iPhones!