Menu

Amazon Prime - now this is a new one!

I just placed an order and very nearly paid $8.99 shipping for a $6.86 in-stock prime eligible item!! Sneaky!!

Apparently "FREE No-Rush Delivery (5-7 days)" is a choice now for prime shipping on some items and if you want the "prime" item in 2 days, it costs extra. Adding the extra was the DEFAULT choice.

:thumbdown: amazon!

Hmmm... did this start today?

I just checked my invoices for the four orders I placed yesterday and I was not charged extra for 2 day shipping as a Prime member.

Could there have been more than one seller for the item you ordered? Sometimes that happens and one must make sure that one has picked the item that is fulfilled by Amazon to ensure the Prime service is available.

I just placed an order and very nearly paid $8.99 shipping for a $6.86 in-stock prime eligible item!! Sneaky!!

Apparently "FREE No-Rush Delivery (5-7 days)" is a choice now for prime shipping on some items and if you want the "prime" item in 2 days, it costs extra. Adding the extra was the DEFAULT choice.

:thumbdown: amazon!

Are you sure you picked a Prime Eligible shipper? I've had the FREE No-Rush Delivery option show up on some items, usually with a $1 mp3 credit if I pick it, but the 2 day shipping is still free.

Hmmm... did this start today?

I just checked my invoices for the four orders I placed yesterday and I was not charged extra for 2 day shipping as a Prime member.

Could there have been more than one seller for the item you ordered? Sometimes that happens and one must make sure that one has picked the item that is fulfilled by Amazon to ensure the Prime service is available.

The shipper was amazon. I'm familiar with 3rd party sellers (I am one.).

I didn't pay extra since I chose the 5-7 day option (for a prime item!). It was definitely prime eligible:

Quartet White Magnetic and Combination Board

There were three other items that did not have extra shipping applied. There does not seem to be a reason for it. I thought it was sneaky that the extra charge (on a prime item!!) was the default.

It looks like they're putting that little prime icon on in-stock items they do not intend to ship for free in two days. :glare:

Hmmm....as an experiment, I added the item to my cart as if I was going to buy it and the default was "FREE standard shipping (3-5 business days)". The only other option was "$8.99/item Saturday Delivery". It also said "Choose your Prime shipping speed" above it.

That is rather disturbing!

I didn't pay extra since I chose the 5-7 day option (for a prime item!). It was definitely prime eligible:

There were three other items that did not have extra shipping applied. There does not seem to be a reason for it. I thought it was sneaky that the extra charge (on a prime item!!) was the default.

It looks like they're putting that little prime icon on in-stock items they do not intend to ship for free in two days. :glare:

You know what I think it is? I think it's a glitch in their system. I would call them. I noticed when I was going to order yesterday, I could pay to have the items ship more quickly since it was a weekend day (I would've gotten them Monday or Tuesday). But I still had the option to have them shipped regular 2-day (which if you order on the weekend takes longer--they would get here Wednesday). It's definitely a new option, and it looks like the free 2 day shipping option is missing. I've noticed they have glitches when they upgrade/change their system.

I just logged in to my account, and saw the same thing you did for that item. Then I tried a few other items, all which appeared normal, with the regular options of $3.99 for one day, free for two days, or free in a week with credit for mp3s. Must be something weird on that item, or a glitch in the system. I always get a quick response with their Live Chat.

Okay, so I'm not crazy. :tongue_smilie:

I hope they get this worked out soon. I'm betting LOTS of people have already called them. :D

If it happens again, I'll try that live chat thing. Their site does look different lately, so maybe they're upgrading.

You know what I think it is? I think it's a glitch in their system. I would call them. I noticed when I was going to order yesterday, I could pay to have the items ship more quickly since it was a weekend day (I would've gotten them Monday or Tuesday). But I still had the option to have them shipped regular 2-day (which if you order on the weekend takes longer--they would get here Wednesday). It's definitely a new option, and it looks like the free 2 day shipping option is missing. I've noticed they have glitches when they upgrade/change their system.

I was mostly peeved that it was the default choice--already selected for me. I often just click quickly through an order that is all prime items since I already know the total. I could easily have missed it and ended up paying $15 for what is likely a little junky bulletin board. :tongue_smilie:

I was mostly peeved that it was the default choice--already selected for me. I often just click quickly through an order that is all prime items since I already know the total. I could easily have missed it and ended up paying $15 for what is likely a little junky bulletin board. :tongue_smilie:

I completely understand! I'd be unhappy, too, and I'll be watching my orders more carefully now that I know they're glitchy (at least I hope it's a glitch).

My guess is that the dimensions make it fit the 'special characteristics' for shipping and thus, Prime doesn't offer free 2 day, but does have free standard instead. I don't really think it is sneaky since selecting the shipping option is something that you should do on every order anyways. I do understand the confusion, and if you are just using the sneaky expression in a more general way, then, yes, I do think that it could be a bit confusing.

I have received other large items that have shipped 2 day for free that came in huge boxes but they were $100 items. Maybe they have to weigh profit with shipping expenses, (especially 2 day), on a $7 item that can't go into a standard small box.

Special characteristics is specified as: Items fulfilled by Amazon with special shipping characteristics such as large treadmills, basketball hoops, televisions that are 48" or larger, and heavy furniture.

My guess is that the dimensions make it fit the 'special characteristics' for shipping and thus, Prime doesn't offer free 2 day, but does have free standard instead. I don't really think it is sneaky since selecting the shipping option is something that you should do on every order anyways. I do understand the confusion, and if you are just using the sneaky expression in a more general way, then, yes, I do think that it could be a bit confusing.

I have received other large items that have shipped 2 day for free that came in huge boxes but they were $100 items. Maybe they have to weigh profit with shipping expenses, (especially 2 day), on a $7 item that can't go into a standard small box.

Special characteristics is specified as: Items fulfilled by Amazon with special shipping characteristics such as large treadmills, basketball hoops, televisions that are 48" or larger, and heavy furniture.

I'm not confused. I've been buying on amazon since the late 90's.

It measured 11x17 and was basically a picture frame with a little bit of bulletin board and dry erase board. It was no bigger than a child's picture book. It is a tiny little lightweight thing. If a giant lego set is not over-sized, than this would certainly not be.

Under NO circumstances should an $8.99 charge be automatically added as the default choice to an amazon order containing all prime items, sold by amazon directly and being sent to an address of a long time prime member.

It's either got to be a glitch, or amazon is redefining what "prime membership" means.

The explanation is here under "Eligible Items and Addresses."

It was absolutely prime eligible (I posted a link to it) and they've been shipping prime items to me since prime memberships began.

I've gotten LARGE inexpensive foam rollers for free 2 day with prime. Did your shipping preferences get changed by accident? Is that even possible? Is it possible your prime is canceled or expired? When my Amazon mom expired, they didn't tell me for weeks and that was after I ordered something on the "buy it now" function and was charged exorbitant shipping.

Weird. When I bring up the product, the selection box shows:

Get it: Tues +8.99 Mon FREE

It's got to be a glitch. I've never seen it before and, well, my oldest thinks the UPS man is a close, personal friend of the family.

ETA: When I actually went up to checkout, it shows:

Choose your check_prime_64x20._V192552836_.gif shipping speed:

FREE No-Rush Delivery (5-7 days) Get $1 to Spend on MP3s - Learn More

$8.99/item Saturday Delivery --get it Tuesday, May 1

Edited by *Michelle*

I had a similar problem with regular amazon. I ordered $80 worht of stuff, well above the $25. And it defaulted to standard shipping. To their credut, they did refund the $8 shipping when I emailed them a few months later.

I put the same item in my cart and got the same charge of $8.99 as the default! Bad Amazon! Naughty!

Apparently you can't become complacent. It just never occurred to me that any item with that little prime logo would have an extra charge--unless I chose it.

There was literally nothing to bring it to my attention that anything was out of the ordinary except the total was off. I really don't care if for whatever reason it takes longer. Just don't choose for me any option that increases the cost. As prime members, we have every reason to believe an item with that logo will ship free unless we choose otherwise.

I occasionally add the $3.99 to get something in a day, but I add it myself. It has never happened without my selecting it.

My prime automatically renews. Shipping preference are the same. There were three other prime items in the order that amazon did not attempt to add anything extra for.

I don't think I'd even see the logo if it expired would I? I don't see it when I log out.

Weird. When I bring up the product, the selection box shows:

Get it: Tues +8.99 Mon FREE

It's got to be a glitch. I've never seen it before and, well, my oldest thinks the UPS man is a close, personal friend of the family.

ETA: When I actually went up to checkout, it shows:

Choose your check_prime_64x20._V192552836_.gif shipping speed:

FREE No-Rush Delivery (5-7 days) Get $1 to Spend on MP3s - Learn More

$8.99/item Saturday Delivery --get it Tuesday, May 1

Now that's just weird. :001_huh:

Must be making upgrades or something.

I had the same experience as everyone else when I added it to my cart and went to check out. I'm not sure how it wouldn't be Prime two day eligible when I just ordered a Coleman 8person tent on Friday that shipped two day free Prime shipping. I'd contact Amazon and ask them about it as it's really very odd.

This is exactly what I've been having happen. I can't imagine why it came up with shipping fees.

I just figured the universe is conspiring against my plan to get little pieces of paper with phone numbers off my horizontal surfaces. :tongue_smilie:

I had the same experience as everyone else when I added it to my cart and went to check out. I'm not sure how it wouldn't be Prime two day eligible when I just ordered a Coleman 8person tent on Friday that shipped two day free Prime shipping. I'd contact Amazon and ask them about it as it's really very odd.

That reminds me, I do need to look into getting a new tent. There are SO many.

Which one did you order? I'm assuming you already spent lots of time reading reviews.

Hmmm....as an experiment, I added the item to my cart as if I was going to buy it and the default was "FREE standard shipping (3-5 business days)". The only other option was "$8.99/item Saturday Delivery". It also said "Choose your Prime shipping speed" above it.

I just did the same thing. I found that rather odd. I also checked a book and the game of Monopoly and they both showed the free two-day shipping for Prime and it was the default setting. I wonder why the Prime didn't show up for the magnetic board?

Which btw, that board was cute!

I'll bet it's a glitch. I'd choose the free shipping, then talk to customer service to report the problem and get upgraded shipping.

The explanation is here under "Eligible Items and Addresses."

The item is not furniture nor is it a 48"+ television. So no, that doesn't explain it.

I sent them an email via their contact page asking why it wanted to charge $8.99 for 2nd day "Saturday" delivery to arrive Tuesday when I'm ordering on Sunday. We'll see what they say.

I'm not confused. I've been buying on amazon since the late 90's.

It measured 11x17 and was basically a picture frame with a little bit of bulletin board and dry erase board. It was no bigger than a child's picture book. It is a tiny little lightweight thing. If a giant lego set is not over-sized, than this would certainly not be.

Under NO circumstances should an $8.99 charge be automatically added as the default choice to an amazon order containing all prime items, sold by amazon directly and being sent to an address of a long time prime member.

It's either got to be a glitch, or amazon is redefining what "prime membership" means.

It was absolutely prime eligible (I posted a link to it) and they've been shipping prime items to me since prime memberships began.

Have you asked them what the deal is?

Just tried it.

I got free 3-5 day shipping, or a charge for it to get here by Tuesday (it said "Saturday Delivery".

The default was the free 3-5 day shipping.

They must not be counting Saturdays in their Prime shipping days anymore???

How odd. I put it in my cart and got the 8.99 shipping charge. When I took it out of my card, with 4 other Prime eligible items, the shipping charge left.

That reminds me, I do need to look into getting a new tent. There are SO many.

Which one did you order? I'm assuming you already spent lots of time reading reviews.

Oh my yes! We've read reviews, looked at them in person, and generally spent a very long time considering things. We looked quite a bit last year and didn't buy - this year we decided to take the punge.

We ended up buying the Coleman Instant 14x10 8 person tent (clean link, no referral codes or anything).

It's got something like 232 reviews and just shy of a 5-star rating on Amazon. I think it's a previous year's model as the one's they sell on the on the Coleman website are a couple of feet smaller. The same tent seems to be really popular locally as well. I like that it has an inverted T zipper (versus the D and round shaped doors on so many tents) and you can stand up in it.

We're going to be buying the rain fly Coleman sells to go with it. You have to buy it on the Coleman website because the one on the Amazon website is for a smaller tent. I think with shipping it was something like $65.

The tent is $199.99 (which is quite comparable to the cost locally), but Amazon has a $20 off $100 deal going on so we picked it up for $179.99. :001_smile:

So...yeah...if I can get a heavy tent shipped for free with Prime, I would think you could get a simple message board.

Here is the [non-]response I got from amazon:

I understand your concern regarding the shipping option for the Quartet White Magnetic and Combination Board.

I've checked for the item on our website and see that we are unable to ship this item via prime free two day shipping.

Please understand that some items listed on our site may only be shipped via Standard U.S. shipping. Amazon Prime members will still receive free shipping on these items if they are designated as eligible for Amazon Prime. I'm sorry if you are not aware of this before.

At this point, I request you to place the order with Saturday shipping and write back to us with the order number by clicking the link below so that we will either waive off or refund the shipping charges for you.

http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-mi?c=babwgtqb3405922488&q=o2r

Note: Please place the new order directly with Amazon.com retail store (Items which is directly shipped and sold by Amazon.com or fulfilled by Amazon.com.) as we are unable to take any action on Marketplace or Merchant orders.

Thanks for your understanding and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you for your inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

All they did was confirm that, yes, that is happening. They didn't address the question of, SHOULD it be happening? [eyeroll]

Here is the [non-]response I got from amazon:

All they did was confirm that, yes, that is happening. They didn't address the question of, SHOULD it be happening? [eyeroll]

This is why I don't deal with Amazon via email, only by phone. I've never once received a satisfactory resolution through email.

After it is in your cart, look at the "sold by" part. The order is actually being fulfilled by another business in NY. The free shipping is longer than 2 day, probably because it is someone else actually shipping the item. When I put it in my cart the default was the free shipping, but 3-5 days instead of 2.

After it is in your cart, look at the "sold by" part. The order is actually being fulfilled by another business in NY. The free shipping is longer than 2 day, probably because it is someone else actually shipping the item. When I put it in my cart the default was the free shipping, but 3-5 days instead of 2.

I don't know what you are seeing, but it does not say that when I put it in my cart. Are you a prime member? You won't see the page the same way if you're not. It is a prime item, in-stock shipped from and sold by amazon. 3-5 shipping was not offered to me. 2 day free shipping was not offered. Only 5-7 day (which I chose, but was surprised at that being the only free option) or "Saturday delivery" for $8.99. The Saturday delivery was chosen for me.

I can read. I've also used amazon for at least a decade.

I'll post part of the item's page below. See anything there that would make you think an extra $8.99 shipping charge would apply? Without your choosing it yourself? I think amazon has been infected with a "Saturday delivery" virus. It's perpetually Saturday there. :tongue_smilie:

Quartet White Magnetic and Combination Board, 11 x 17 Inches, White Frame (MHOC1117)

by Quartet

4.2 out of 5 stars See all reviews (6 customer reviews) |

Like(1)

List Price:$9.38Price:$6.85 check-prime-45x13._V192552839_.gifYou Save:$2.53 (27%)

In Stock.

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Want it delivered Tuesday, May 1? Order it in the next 11 hours and 36 minutes, and choose Saturday Delivery at checkout. Details

17 new from $6.02

Just another note on general amazon weirdness. I just bought a set of baking pans from a wedding registry--these were defaulted to 5-7 day free shipping. This is obviously fine, as the wedding is 2 weeks off, and there is no rush. I am just confused. Could this be because the recipient lives in Alaska? (I have never lived outside the lower 48 while in the US, so I have no experience).:001_smile:

Just another note on general amazon weirdness. I just bought a set of baking pans from a wedding registry--these were defaulted to 5-7 day free shipping. This is obviously fine, as the wedding is 2 weeks off, and there is no rush. I am just confused. Could this be because the recipient lives in Alaska? (I have never lived outside the lower 48 while in the US, so I have no experience).:001_smile:

Yes. I've got online friends in Alaska and they are constantly complaining about how Amazon won't ship some stuff to Alaska at all and stuff that IS won't be 2-day free.

Amazon is acting weird for me today. I received a year of Prime free when I signed up for Amazon Mom (and purchased mom things). I added a few books to my cart and they didn't show as Prime, but as "Eligible for Super Saver Shipping". I checked my account status and saw that I still had a month left on my Prime membership, so I logged out and back in again and the items did show as Prime this time. I think there must be some glitch in the system.

!

the only thing I saw for the FREE No-Rush Delivery (5-7 days)" was a $1 credit towards a MP3. My prime is the same - no extra charge for 2-day shipping.

Amazon is acting weird for me today. I received a year of Prime free when I signed up for Amazon Mom (and purchased mom things). I added a few books to my cart and they didn't show as Prime, but as "Eligible for Super Saver Shipping". I checked my account status and saw that I still had a month left on my Prime membership, so I logged out and back in again and the items did show as Prime this time. I think there must be some glitch in the system.

I'm wondering if it's a difference in prime memberships. since I leave myself signed into my account - and have to enter a password to purchase - prime always shows up on my screen.

I did the same thing. I don't pay extra for Prime so that I can get the free shipping that everyone else can get for spending $25. I'll have to pay more attention to my upcoming orders. I haven't noticed this with past orders. I just bought something last night, and I got the free 2 day shipping.:confused: