Menu

Help me plan a trip to Washington, D.C.

I have never been there and neither has any of my family. We plan to visit this summer while we are back in the U.S. We want to be there for 4th of July.

1. Absolute MUST SEE places?

2. Any "mostly-hype-don't-bother" places to avoid?

3. How many days is a good amount of time to see the cool stuff but not get bored? My dh does not love sight-seeing but I do so we need a compromise. :D

4. Where to stay on a tight budget?

Thanks!

The Spy Museum got great reviews from our family! It is about $15-20pp, iirc, but worth every dime!

I would absolutely go to the Holocaust Museum.

Though the Bureau of Printing and Engraving is interesting, it would be on my "don't bother" list. As would be the Native American Museum, though that restaurant looked wonderful. :D

Library of Congress is a don't miss! The Supreme Court Building is wonderful, too!

Start now trying to get tickets/reservations if you want a tour of the White House or Capitol.

Ford's Theater is wonderful and has a well-done presentation.

If you go to Arlington Cemetery/Iwo Jima Memorial, go early. It'll be a long, hot walk later in the day.

We were there for 5 whole days, planned our visit well, and still needed more time. Each day started early and ended late, but we would have spent more time there if we'd been able.

We just went there last spring and easily filled 8 days. Some of the faves:

Spy Museum - costs money (so much of DC is free) but possibly our fave attraction overall. It isn't "just" spy stuff, it is an amazing amount of history with well-done interactive displays.

Smithsonian - Air&Space, Natural History, American History. Each way too big to appreciate in a single visit (except maybe Air&Space) so read up and pick some things you want to catch at each. We liked the geology section at Natural History.

The main floor of the Smithsonian's National Gallery of Art overwhelmed us with the labyrinth of rooms, but we loved a special exhibit on Impressionists there. The ground floor has a cafe in the courtyard that has really good food and a peaceful atmosphere.

We had planned ahead with our Senator's office and had tours of the White House and Capitol. Might be too late to get those, but if you do happen to do the White House, our Senator had a great piece of advice - it is self-guided and some people just walk through in 20-30 minutes. He pointed out that the guards in every room are very knowledgeable about the art, antiques, and history and told us to ask questions. We did, we learned a huge amount, and we were there 3 hours.

Spent half a day at Arlington - nice break from the busy city, but the DC were tired of it after an hour.

National Zoo - eh. Maybe because we have been to many good zoos, maybe because every school in DC had a field trip there that day.

The Memorials - Korean, Vietnam, Lincoln. Lincoln's big and busy, Korean is a more human scale, peaceful, and well worth hiking around the side.

We also went out to the Manassas (Bull Run) battlefield. A great visitor center, then you can wander and imagine cannons firing.

You said you had how much time:tongue_smilie:?

Have fun.

If you are there on July 4 you will be there right in the middle of the Folk Life Festival

http://www.festival.si.edu/

which is kind of fun and takes over the Mall with great big tents. I haven't looked at the themes (there are always 3) for this year, but usually artisans and performers come from all over the world.

Are you planning to do the fireworks? If you are, many people pick a spot early in the day, bring a picnic and lots of sunscreen. However, doing that means you will lose part of a day that you could be checking out a museum (with air conditioning). Maybe someone can speak to getting a fireworks spot in the early evening. I haven't seen fireworks on the Mall since the early 1980s (my neighborhood has a nice party). This is an event where not everyone arrives at the same time, but everyone leaves at the same time, so getting out of DC will take patience and you need to keep visual on your children because of the crowds and the darkness (if your olders have cell phones, they need to be charged and on their bodies).

For the visit I'd focus on the Mall first. Smithsonian Museums (all free) and memorials. You can take a tour of the Capitol. The family favorite museums are Air and Space, Natural History and American History.

Each museum has a daily schedule of presentations beyond the collection to look at, so you want to look at the schedule . For instance Natural History has a Bug Zoo and within the Bug Zoo docent will bring insects out for a closer look at various times. At American History there might be a civil rights presentation that's given at 3 times a day.

Plan a hike to see all the memorials, early before the air heats up and humidity affects breathing.

Museum of the American Indian is fun if they have a special event, otherwise I just like to look at the outside of the building.

The Spy Museum is fun. The Newseum is fun. If you are choosing because of admissions costs I'd go with Spy. I like the Holocaust Museum, but you need to decide if it's something everyone in your family is prepared to handle, they do have a children's exhibit.

I think you need to especially look at the museum schedules because it can be unbearably hot and humid in July. So, you will need to plan times inside Museums and walking around outside times.

Edited by betty

We used to live there, and I was going to say the same things that Aggie said. She had some great suggestions. We loved the Smithsonian too, especially the Air and Space Museum and the Museum of Natural History. Our favorite memorials were the Jefferson and the Lincoln. Personally I don't think it's worth it to stand in the long line at the Washington Monument.

Walking around in crowds can be exhausting, even if it's all very interesting, so allow plenty of time to sit and enjoy the atmosphere. Have a picnic, a glass of lemonade, etc. It will be a busy time of year but a lot of fun too! You will really enjoy it!

Sometimes you can find a less expensive hotel that's out in one of the suburbs, but still on the metro line -- which is handy.

And btw, I believe you need advance tickets to the Holocaust Museum (they may be free, but they only allow in a certain number at a time). When we were last there we split up and only took the older kids to that museum.

You would not want to miss:

National Cathedral

Library of Congress

Mount Vernon

As far as places to stay, PM me. Our new house (we move in next week) has a guest house -- it doesn't have a kitchen, but it has a great room, two bedrooms and a brand new, very nice bathroom. It is one mile from Mount Vernon -- perhaps it would work for you and your family? Even maybe for part of your stay?

Let me know -- and, yes, I am serious! :)

I just want to add that the Holocaust Museum has a special section for younger kids to go through. I went with my then seven-year old while my husband and older daughter went through the main exhibit.

Also, Arlington is very moving, and worth seeing, but go early and take your own water with you.

We actually saw the memorials at night and it was beautiful. It turned out to be one of our favorite things about the trip.

We loved, loved LOVED the Natural History Museum.

And be aware that every place you go, you will have to go through security. It's not a huge deal, but look up on websites of places you'll be going to see what is allowed/not allowed.

The capital building was so crowded, that it turned out to be a just so-so tour for us. I'm glad we went, but it was a little challenging.

We actually went to DC two years ago through a local tour bus company so we wouldn't have to drive in the city. They worked out getting tickets, hotel and everything. For us, it made all the difference between seeing a lot of places or not.

Plan for an oppressive wet heat. If you accept that you'll be happier :-). For lodging, you might want to stay in a hotel near the end of one of the metro lines and plan on taking the metro everywhere. The city is expensive, and getting a room that weekend may be impossible.

That's enough negative :-). We love DC. We've lived in the area for almost 15 years and there are STILL things left for us to see. We've yet to make it out to Monticello. My son wants to see the video game exhibit at the American Art museum. We love Mt Vernon, the Natural History Museum, and the zoo. We also like just walking up and down the mall when the weather is nice. My kids did not appreciate the White House Tour, but they were really young at the time. My mother even liked the capital tour much better and wants to do it again. If you feel like the city is closing in on you, you might want to check out the Arboretum, but nobody but me ever seems to suggest that, so do your homework :D Even if you have a whole family of architects, don't waste your time at the American Building Museum.

If you want to get a two-for-one vacation deal, spend one of your days in Baltimore and see the Science Center and Aquarium. There's a Barnes and Nobles near the aquarium if one of the parents needs a break from the touristy stuff :D

Mount Vernon (My kids loved it there.) We joined and visited lots of lesser known attractions.

All the Smithsonians are worth the trip, my kids favs

Air & Space

Natural History

The Zoo

Capital, White House all have great tours

The out door monuments are worth the effort...Many of our visitors loved the bus tours

The Mint

We're hoping to get back this summer. Alexandria has a lot of nice places to stay and a great Farmer's market.

you might want to check out the Arboretum,:D

:iagree: We loved the Arboretum-- we went on Christmas Eve, and we LOVED it. From there we went to the National Basilica and that was a great tour as well --their tours (the Basilica) I think are on wednesdays --fascinating and beautiful.

The Museum of American History is alot of fun -- there is a hands on room -- check their website to see about getting in there.

Museum of Natural History is ALWAYS totally jammed with people but also fascinating....and people who say it isn't aren't stopping to read the info regarding the exhibits.

Yes, it will be hot - but you have been living in Malaysia and I imagine you will find it about what you are used to....maybe even a little cooler here.

The Kennedy Center is wonderful -- if there is something that is age appropriate, I would definitely urge you to visit there -- if not, it is worth the trip because their gift shops and their rooftop cafe are two of my favorite places to visit.

I have never been there and neither has any of my family. We plan to visit this summer while we are back in the U.S. We want to be there for 4th of July.

I'd say, don't miss the main monuments on/around the Mall, even if you just see them from the outside. I would include the Vietnam memorial (on the Mall), because it was a ground-breaking design and because it still evokes strong emotions. Don't forget to walk around the Capitol, Supreme Court, Library of Congress.

Smithsonian Air & Space Museum.

Mount Vernon will take the better part of a day, but it is a wonderful place to visit. I'd put it on the list.

The subways.

Georgetown. Dumbarton Oaks is beautiful & relaxing.

2. Any "mostly-hype-don't-bother" places to avoid?

If you have been to a lot of museums, you might not want to skip some, unless it is rainy or you & dc have a passion for art, natural history, whatever. The Smithsonian Air & Space Museum, however, would be on my must see list.

3. How many days is a good amount of time to see the cool stuff but not get bored? My dh does not love sight-seeing but I do so we need a compromise. :D

You could do the Mall area in one day, Mount Vernon in one day, and leave one day for Georgetown/strolling, etc.

Thanks!

Two things I'd keep in mind

-- the distances around the Mall are MUCH bigger than they look on a map. You might want to get an overview with an air conditioned bus tour or try a DC Ducks tour (amphibious bus/boat). The Ducks tour are great for kids, and they start/end at Union Station, where there is a large, inexpensive food court and lots of bathrooms.

-- a number of DC attractions require advance reservations. Sometimes your home (former home) state's Congressional office can help.

Edited by Alessandra

Air & Space was surprisingly not fun. Looking at packages of dehydrated beef stew behind a glass case? Boooring. My kids cried at all the "Do not touch signs" everywhere.

Loved, loved the Natural History museum. Loved it.

The National Geographic Museum was totally boring. My up-to-date DK guidebook featured something there that the guard told me was taken out seven years before! She told me lots of people come looking for it (the giant globe) but that it was supposed to be coming back.

The subway was also lots of fun, especially if you don't normally ride one.

My mom recommends the Vietnam War memorial and some of the other Smithsonian museums.

Air & Space was surprisingly not fun. Looking at packages of dehydrated beef stew behind a glass case? Boooring. My kids cried at all the "Do not touch signs" everywhere.

We went to the Air and Space Museum the same week as the Boy Scout Jamboree. Rookie Mistake! Ditto for Port Discovery in Baltimore on a holiday weekend.

I think Air and Space is more fun to those of us born in the 60's who remember being thrilled at watching the Apollos go up and splash down. They have a room with several real space ships--but I was surprised that dd wasn't really that interested. She just didn't have the personal experience to be fascinated!

I'd skip Holocaust b/c of the ages of your kids. Too intense.

I think our zoo is pathetic. We still have elephants in a small enclosure, rhinos and giraffes the same--breaks my heart. The monkey/gorilla house is good, tho. But you can always go to a zoo, you can't always see the other things on the Mall.

The NA museum is good. Spy is excellent, esp if you are doing the history rotation--tons on WWII and other spies thru history, and a cool gift shop.

Outdoor monuments are accessible and interesting, and quick to visit. I love the Korean War one; it's often missed. Vietnam Mem is stunning. It starts off very low to the ground, and gets taller as it snakes around. Honestly, to me, it's like the names of the first few dead are sadly whispered, and as the monument grows to symbolize the growth of the war, it's like they get louder and louder until they are screaming--IDK, it's very profound. THere's a great kids book on it, too--about the building of it. You'll see vets there, too--and lots of things left by people. It's beautiful. Oh, and also the Roosevelt is quite good--you can pose by Fala.

The Nat'l Cathedral is sooo cool, really. I don't agree with the theology that comes out of that place, but the actual building rivals a European cathedral. You can see a moon rock in the Space Window in the Nave, there's a good tour, and the chapels under the nave are lovely.

There will be TONS of people there on the 4th. It is blanket-to-blanket, seriously. Plus Folklife will be buzzing, with numerous tents and just so.many.people. If you do go, keep a physical hold on your kids after the fireworks--I'm serious, getting out of DC on the metro is kinda scary when there are that many people. It feels like you are going to be trampled. Try to make that your last day, not your first, or you will want to run screaming from DC.

Definitely take a day for Mt. Vernon. There's the house, but there's a super-wonderful, hands-on, movie-filled museum along with it (learning center). AND the gift shop is GREAT. Best in DC (well, just outside of DC).

:D I'd love to meet your clan.

Edited by Chris in VA

Chris, you obviously haven't been to the zoo in awhile - the Elephants have taken over - they have a HUGE space. And they got rid of the hippo and the giraffes when my kids were toddlers. I don't remember when we've even had a rhino. I do think there are a lot of issues with the zoo and the keep of the animals, but it's not a depressing place or a disgrace mostly, I think. We live close enough to walk though... so we know it pretty well. I don't think it's a must see here though, unless you have kids super into animals and/or who don't live near a zoo.

I second that Air & Space is overrated. Some of the stuff is okay, but now that Natural History has redone many of its oldest permanent exhibits, it's now the museum most in need of a major overhaul.

We're big art museum geeks... We love the Phillips, the Kreeger, the Portrait Gallery, the Textile Museum - all that off the beaten path stuff but I think most people can give it a miss. I do recommend the American Art and Portrait Gallery - they're in the same building in Chinatown. If you go on the weekend, they often have a story time and free craft at the Portrait Gallery's education room, and Art a la Cart at the SAAM.

And even if you don't do any other art museums, do the National Gallery of Art. Littles like to ride the people mover in the basement between the east and west buildings and look at the lights, if nothing else. :D

Also, if you want outdoorsy stuff, there are lots of options. I like to tell people to go to the Maryland side of Great Falls (it's technically part of the C&O Canal National Park over there). There's a nice short hike to the falls, you can see the canal and the old canal boats and locks and the power of the river is really amazing.

I grew up in D.C. and now live just outside - it's a great place to visit. But, yeah, July 4 time is hot and humid, like many have said.

I wanted to agree that one of the coolest things to do (no pun intended) is to make a point of seeing the monuments at night - even if you just drive around, it's wonderful.

I'd plan to walk the mall and hit the museums there; we especially like the National Gallery of Art - the building itself is beautiful. Either plan ahead what exhibits you want to see or just wander around; it can be confusing.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Old Post Office Pavilion. We haven't been lately, but one of my favorite things to do with out of towers was to go up in the old clock tower. Great view of D.C. and not stuffy like the Wash. Monument! Also there's a great view of the city from the terrace of the Kennedy Center.

Mt. Vernon is a definite must-see, and you can easily swing past Arlington. The last time we went was at sunset and it was very moving for our guests.

Be prepared for crowds, crowds, crowds. Especially on the 4th, the metro is SCARY after fireworks, especially with kids. Hold on tight to them; it is wall-to-wall people.

Have a great time!

You would not want to miss:

National Cathedral

Library of Congress

Mount Vernon

As far as places to stay, PM me. Our new house (we move in next week) has a guest house -- it doesn't have a kitchen, but it has a great room, two bedrooms and a brand new, very nice bathroom. It is one mile from Mount Vernon -- perhaps it would work for you and your family? Even maybe for part of your stay?

Let me know -- and, yes, I am serious! :)

That is an incredible offer! PM'd you!!!

Definitely come to Mt. Vernon. Stay at Mariann's! LOL

If you want to go to George Washington's church on Sunday, PM me. :D We are about 5 miles from Mariann's.

I give cookies and lemonade to those who stop by the Rectory. ;)

I would LOVE to do that!!!!!!!

I would love to meet both of your families and go to the church. :grouphug:

I know this is probably SUPER corny but my daughter finally gets to come to the U.S. after waiting over 2 years for an immigrant visa and I have this dream of her getting her citizenship and seeing the fireworks on Independence Day in our nation's Capitol and her wearing a little red, white and blue outfit.

The thought of it gets me all choked up.:blush:

I would LOVE to do that!!!!!!!

I would love to meet both of your families and go to the church. :grouphug:

I know this is probably SUPER corny but my daughter finally gets to come to the U.S. after waiting over 2 years for an immigrant visa and I have this dream of her getting her citizenship and seeing the fireworks on Independence Day in our nation's Capitol and her wearing a little red, white and blue outfit.

The thought of it gets me all choked up.:blush:

Awww, it gets me all choked up too! I totally understand.:grouphug:

National Gallery (ds and I went twice), Holocaust Memorial, National Cathedral, Supreme Court, Library of Congress, Moonlight Monuments Tour (expensive!), Arlington National Cemetery.

Just so you know, the tour guides at Mount Vernon do not welcome questions during the tour. It was a little weird. But that's just in the house. The farm was fabulous. Be sure to ask if George Washington had any unicorns.

6 days. We had 4 full days and it was too little time. We missed quite a bit of what I wanted to see (we also had 6 kids aged 2-16 and grandma and grandpa - so your milage may vary, literally :).)

We found a rental on VRBO. It was less expensive than 3 hotel rooms. But in July it will be tough finding something cheap, particularly this late in the year.

Thanks!

One of my favorite memories of D.C. is when we had picnic lunches on benches outside the Capitol Building and on the Mall. Also just walking between the monuments and watching the ducks. Be sure to plan some

time to just sit around and enjoy being in the Nation's Capitol.

We go into DC every year on the 4th of July. It's our favorite holiday tradition!!

Yes it's hot, but I can't imagine it's as bad as Malaysia. It's definitely not as bad as New Orleans. It's totally doable.

We never pick a spot out early in the day. We always go out to eat around 5:30 and after dinner, we head to the Mall and spread out a blanket. We're usually there by 7:00 p.m., fireworks start around 9:15.

We always bring two young kids (DS and my niece), we've been taking them since they were 3 and 4, now they will be 8 and 9. We've never had a problem with the crowds. Everyone is generally friendly, lots of families, etc. Not a lot of pushing. Like I said, we've never had a problem.

We usually get there mid morning and see the Smithsonian folk-life festival. And then we head over to the zoo, for 2 reasons. It's WAY less crowded, plus, there is lots of shade and they have those misting stations all over. It keeps the kids happy :)

One year, we did have my family with us and we tried to see a few museums on the 4th, but that was a big mistake. It was WALL TO WALL people.... we couldn't even get within 5 feet of the Hope diamond!

I recommend doing museums on ANY day but the 4th. Save the monuments for the 4th, or do the zoo like we do.

If you can get tickets (if they run that day), I would get tickets for the double decker bus. It's really nice and breezy to sit up top, and the bottom is air conditioned. They hit all the stops, including the National Cathedral. Tickets are good for 2-3 days. IMO, it is the EASIEST, and most comfortable, way for tourists to get around the city.

http://www.opentopsightseeing.com

If you want to eat in a sit down restaurant that day, you BETTER make reservations, like soon. I'll be making mine before the end of April. We eat, every year, at The Old Ebbitt Grill. It's one of the best places to eat in the city and it's right across the street from the White House, so it's very close to the Mall. Their food is top notch, but it's not expensive. You will NOT be able to eat there w/o reservations. I mean, people do walk in, but they are told, usually, that it's a 3-4 hour wait. I never understand why people don't just make reservations.

(ETA: Holy cow. I just called Old Ebbitt to make my reservations for this year and they said they aren't doing reservations for dinner this year. :confused: Only lunch! Latest lunch seating is at 3:00 p.m. Sooooo, crap, I'm going to have to find somewhere else to eat and make reservations!)

All the good/decent restaurants within walking distance of the Mall will be the same way. There aren't a whole bunch of places to eat close to the Mall. You do NOT want to eat at the Cafeteria's in the museums. They will be INCREDIBLY crowded and you will spend more money there than you would at a restaurant. I strongly suggest you make reservations to eat for dinner. You will have been in the heat all day. It's nice to sit down in an air conditioned place, without waiting for an hour, and get served drinks and nice, healthy food. Remember, you still have to walk to the Mall and get through security lines and wait a few hours for fireworks after dinner.

Anywho, long story short, I always tell people who want to have a fun and stress free 4th in DC..... spend most of the day at the zoo and/or National Cathedral. Make dinner reservations. Have fun :)

Leaving, after fireworks, is a bit of a mad rush. They evacuate everyone from the Mall as soon as the fireworks are over. I think they have like 10 minutes, or something, to get every last person out. This really isn't that bad. We just walk slow, take our time, and as soon as we get off the Mall, we'll buy the kids ice cream from one of the street vendors and sit down and let them eat. Hurrying won't get you anywhere any faster. You won't beat the crowds, especially with kids. Just take your time.

Yes it's hot, but I can't imagine it's as bad as Malaysia. It's definitely not as bad as New Orleans. It's totally doable.

:iagree: Living here and having been to Malaysia, I'm inclined to agree. Despite having grown up in the south, I didn't really understand what humid heat was until I lived in southern China.

We go into DC every year on the 4th of July. It's our favorite holiday tradition!!

We never pick a spot out early in the day. We always go out to eat around 5:30 and after dinner, we head to the Mall and spread out a blanket. We're usually there by 7:00 p.m., fireworks start around 9:15.

We always bring two young kids (DS and my niece), we've been taking them since they were 3 and 4, now they will be 8 and 9. We've never had a problem with the crowds. Everyone is generally friendly, lots of families, etc. Not a lot of pushing. Like I said, we've never had a problem.

We usually get there mid morning and see the Smithsonian folk-life festival. And then we head over to the zoo, for 2 reasons. It's WAY less crowded, plus, there is lots of shade and they have those misting stations all over. It keeps the kids happy :)

One year, we did have my family with us and we tried to see a few museums on the 4th, but that was a big mistake. It was WALL TO WALL people.... we couldn't even get within 5 feet of the Hope diamond!

I recommend doing museums on ANY day but the 4th. Save the monuments for the 4th, or do the zoo like we do.

If you can get tickets (if they run that day), I would get tickets for the double decker bus. It's really nice and breezy to sit up top, and the bottom is air conditioned. They hit all the stops, including the National Cathedral. Tickets are good for 2-3 days. IMO, it is the EASIEST, and most comfortable, way for tourists to get around the city.

http://www.opentopsightseeing.com

If you want to eat in a sit down restaurant that day, you BETTER make reservations, like soon. I'll be making mine before the end of April. We eat, every year, at The Old Ebbitt Grill. It's one of the best places to eat in the city and it's right across the street from the White House, so it's very close to the Mall. Their food is top notch, but it's not expensive. You will NOT be able to eat there w/o reservations. I mean, people do walk in, but they are told, usually, that it's a 3-4 hour wait. I never understand why people don't just make reservations.

(ETA: Holy cow. I just called Old Ebbitt to make my reservations for this year and they said they aren't doing reservations for dinner this year. :confused: Only lunch! Latest lunch seating is at 3:00 p.m. Sooooo, crap, I'm going to have to find somewhere else to eat and make reservations!)

All the good/decent restaurants within walking distance of the Mall will be the same way. There aren't a whole bunch of places to eat close to the Mall. You do NOT want to eat at the Cafeteria's in the museums. They will be INCREDIBLY crowded and you will spend more money there than you would at a restaurant. I strongly suggest you make reservations to eat for dinner. You will have been in the heat all day. It's nice to sit down in an air conditioned place, without waiting for an hour, and get served drinks and nice, healthy food. Remember, you still have to walk to the Mall and get through security lines and wait a few hours for fireworks after dinner.

Anywho, long story short, I always tell people who want to have a fun and stress free 4th in DC..... spend most of the day at the zoo and/or National Cathedral. Make dinner reservations. Have fun :)

Leaving, after fireworks, is a bit of a mad rush. They evacuate everyone from the Mall as soon as the fireworks are over. I think they have like 10 minutes, or something, to get every last person out. This really isn't that bad. We just walk slow, take our time, and as soon as we get off the Mall, we'll buy the kids ice cream from one of the street vendors and sit down and let them eat. Hurrying won't get you anywhere any faster. You won't beat the crowds, especially with kids. Just take your time.

Can I ask a few questions?

Any other suggestions for dinner reservations?

Can we bring food onto the mall and have a picnic while waiting for the fireworks to begin?

We are driving to DC. Should we leave the car at home and take the metro to the mall (or to wherever we have to go to pick up the double decker bus... Which sounds super fun!)? Or is there somewhere we should drive to then park and walk? We will be staying near Mt. Vernon with Mariann. :D

I get avoid the museums. What about the library of congress? War memorials? Anything else we can do that day? We probably won't go to the zoo but the cathedral sounds nice.

- I am thinking of going to Fogo de Chao instead. Which is VERY good, but also expensive. BUT, it's somewhat close to the Mall :)

-Clydes of Gallery Place- great place, great food, ran by same people as Old Ebbitt, but it's by the Verizon center (and the Spy museum!) which would be about 1.5 mile walk back to the Mall. You could metro, but that's a lot of trouble for 1 stop, KWIM??

Can we bring food onto the mall and have a picnic while waiting for the fireworks to begin?

-I *think* you can, but you should probably check on-line to verify. I know one year, when I entered the Mall, through security, they made me take a sip from DS's cup of juice. If you CAN, you could even get subs and chips from one of the Potbelly sandwich works that are in the area and eat it while waiting. We love Potbelly, there are a few near the Mall, just check Google for locations. But first, check to make sure you can bring food and drinks.

We are driving to DC. Should we leave the car at home and take the metro to the mall (or to wherever we have to go to pick up the double decker bus... Which sounds super fun!)? Or is there somewhere we should drive to then park and walk? We will be staying near Mt. Vernon with Mariann. :D

- Well, we drive. And we never have a problem finding a parking spot. But I also know the city REALLY well. Lots of trial and error, if you KWIM. We have parked at Union Station, next to the Capitol, and in the East Potomac Park before.

- I think if you have never been here, though, I would def, say just take the metro. If you do decide to do the double decker bus, buy your tickets online. Take the metro (from wherever you get on) to Union Station. That is where the main ticket office, and first stop for the Open top Sightseeing is. There are also plenty of shops and restaurants at Union Station. So, if you do the double decker bus, you could always hop on the bus and head to Union Station for meals. There are sit down places, fast food type places and a giant food court downstairs. All inside. All air conditioned. There is a Potbelly, Chipotle, and Salad place all right next to each other :) Plus there are bakeries, like Au Bon Pain, if you get there early and want b-fast.

I get avoid the museums. What about the library of congress? War memorials? Anything else we can do that day? We probably won't go to the zoo but the cathedral sounds nice.

- I love LOC, it's a gorgeous building. I guess you could try it, plus it's right next to the Supreme Court, and I believe the 2nd stop on the bus route.

- You really could see a lot by doing the bus. I tell a lot of people about it, b/c the one time we did it, when family came to visit, we were able to see SO much, without as much walking.

-They do have a 4th of July organ recital at the Cathedral. I don't recommend it for the kids, it was lonnnng, and I hate to admit, kind of boring. I tell you so that you can check the cathedral website to see when it is, so you can make sure you go AFTER the crowds have cleared out. The bus drops you off right in front of the Cathedral, btw.

I'm starting to think that maybe we'll get some double decker bus tickets, LOL! We usually just walk and metro it, but I'll be pregnant this time.... I keep forgetting about that!

Stayed here......http://www.marriott.com/reservation/rateListMenu.mi

They have a shuttle that takes you to the Metro.....buy the Metro week pass....totally worth it! We ate there hot breakfast in the morning, ate out for lunch and did sandwiches in our room in the evening (suites are small but microwave and refrigerator.

We loved Mount Vernon, Smithsonian, Library, Supreme Court, National Archives, Capitol, Monuments, Fords Theatre, White House. We did all the tours....go to National Parks website and look for cheap tickets...Washington Monument, National Archives......then you don't have to stand in line...........we got a personal tour at the Archives and he took us in the back to look at the documents....we got to jump in line instead of wait!

PM me if you have any more questions....I could get my dd scrapbook out to refresh my memory.

It's usually fine to bring food and do a picnic and I know it used to be fine on the 4th, but we haven't been down in YEARS for the evening deal (we can see the fireworks by just walking up the street and people in DC do backyard fireworks shows past midnight so the madness on the Mall seems completely not worth it for us) so I'm not 100% sure.

You can absolutely drive and park in DC, but I don't usually recommend it to people who don't know the area so well. On the Fourth... I certainly wouldn't. There are places to park and Metro on the Blue/Yellow line, which will be where you're coming from. I think you can still pay and park at Pentagon City.

I've actually done museums on the Fourth and I don't think it's so bad - but don't do Air & Space, American History or Natural History that day. If you wanted to do NGA or the Hirshhorn or something that would be fine. I once had a lovely time in the Sackler on the morning Fourth when I was sick of the Folklife Festival and it was hardly what I would call crowded. Then again, I don't think I've ever seen the Sackler crowded. Ah, ignored museums. The memorials and the Archives will be packed on the Fourth as well, but sometimes it's kinda cool to go to the memorials when they're mobbed. No clue if the LOC would be crowded that day or not - it's not right on the Mall, by the way.

The food at the Museum of the American Indian is overpriced but really good, so it's actually worth doing. The rest of the museum cafeterias have improved in the last few years but are still pretty mediocre, plus overpriced. But I wouldn't do any of them on the Fourth. I agree with the idea of getting reservations if you want to make things easy. Fogo de Chao would be yummy indeed. I can't think of anywhere else that's quite so close, but if you go up toward Chinatown you get a lot more options - Clyde's, as mentioned, Matchbox, even chain places like Austin Grill... but that's a LONG walk with your little ones. I'd do the picnic, honestly.

We stayed in Arlington at the Washington Suites...loved it! Huge rooms with kitchenette..we had a large family and it suited out style. Plus, we purchased the Metro pass for each person for the week, and rode it religiously. Really good investment. Much better than staying in DC i think.

Order your tickets for the Washington Monument on line, and plan extra time getting there..they will be strict on your time of ticket.

We went 2 years ago also during the week you are going. We saw the fireworks at Arlington Cemetary and it was a great show.We got there in the early eve, and sat near the Iwo Jima statue. If you plan to visit the cemetary on the same day as the fireworks, make note that the Shuttle is closed on the holidays (bumer for us! We did a lot of walking...)

Lastly, my favorite place was Mount Vernon.

Study as much of these places before you go so you can relax and enjoy it while you are there..You'll be so pleased when your kids say, 'Remember that Mom! We studied that...".

Have a blessed time.

It's usually fine to bring food and do a picnic and I know it used to be fine on the 4th, but we haven't been down in YEARS for the evening deal (we can see the fireworks by just walking up the street and people in DC do backyard fireworks shows past midnight so the madness on the Mall seems completely not worth it for us) so I'm not 100% sure.

You can absolutely drive and park in DC, but I don't usually recommend it to people who don't know the area so well. On the Fourth... I certainly wouldn't. There are places to park and Metro on the Blue/Yellow line, which will be where you're coming from. I think you can still pay and park at Pentagon City.

I've actually done museums on the Fourth and I don't think it's so bad - but don't do Air & Space, American History or Natural History that day. If you wanted to do NGA or the Hirshhorn or something that would be fine. I once had a lovely time in the Sackler on the morning Fourth when I was sick of the Folklife Festival and it was hardly what I would call crowded. Then again, I don't think I've ever seen the Sackler crowded. Ah, ignored museums. The memorials and the Archives will be packed on the Fourth as well, but sometimes it's kinda cool to go to the memorials when they're mobbed. No clue if the LOC would be crowded that day or not - it's not right on the Mall, by the way.

The food at the Museum of the American Indian is overpriced but really good, so it's actually worth doing. The rest of the museum cafeterias have improved in the last few years but are still pretty mediocre, plus overpriced. But I wouldn't do any of them on the Fourth. I agree with the idea of getting reservations if you want to make things easy. Fogo de Chao would be yummy indeed. I can't think of anywhere else that's quite so close, but if you go up toward Chinatown you get a lot more options - Clyde's, as mentioned, Matchbox, even chain places like Austin Grill... but that's a LONG walk with your little ones. I'd do the picnic, honestly.

I made my Fogo de Chao reservations today! We love to go right at 5:00, when they open b/c you get nice seats that are close to the buffet. Plus, the buffet is all nice and full and no line, lol!!

The only reason I'm not 100% sure about the picnic thing is b/c back when DS was younger, I had one of those plastic (sotra a sippy cup) cups with the straw for him and the security guy asked me to take a sip of it.

But, I'm pretty sure we have brought water.... it's funny how you can do something so often, but then you can't remember tiny details....

Also wanted to say.... that it has been a while since we did the double decker buses, and it wasn't during high tourist time. I say that b/c it looks like the reviews on Tripadvisor are not so nice! Take a look for yourself and decide if you want to do it. Old Town Trolley tours has a higher rating, you may want to look into that one instead.

Heather,

Are you flying into D.C., or driving? If you travel near the National Harbor, it is a fun (and beautiful) place to stop and see and grab a bite to eat.

There is a huge bronze statue of a man in a play area with sand where the kids can run around. My kids love it. http://www.nationalharbor.com/consumer/home.htm

We have found great food from vendors in parking lots near the Mall (not like hot dogs.....like delicious sandwiches and fruit.....more like a farmer's market). I don't know how often they are there, but hopefully someone from the area will know and can respond. Trip Advisor also has a lot of good travel recommendations.

You are in Malaysia now, but were previously in NC?

I am from NC too!

I went in October and wrote a blurb here about our trip.

Loved the Old post office building.

Cheap place to stay. downtown park, ya know make a protest sign and pitch a tent :p

Also don't be afraid of the subway. Found that people were more than willing to help. We also planned out our trips the night before on line so we knew where we were headed and how to maneuver. it was super easy and worth it

Also get started early things close by 5pm.

Heather,

Are you flying into D.C., or driving? If you travel near the National Harbor, it is a fun (and beautiful) place to stop and see and grab a bite to eat.

There is a huge bronze statue of a man in a play area with sand where the kids can run around. My kids love it. http://www.nationalharbor.com/consumer/home.htm

We have found great food from vendors in parking lots near the Mall (not like hot dogs.....like delicious sandwiches and fruit.....more like a farmer's market). I don't know how often they are there, but hopefully someone from the area will know and can respond. Trip Advisor also has a lot of good travel recommendations.

You are in Malaysia now, but were previously in NC?

I am from NC too!

I am originally from Michigan but moved to NC then to Malaysia. We are coming home for a 6 week visit this summer.

We are driving to DC (thanks to a rental car discount from Edie AKA Excelsior! Academy) and staying with Mariann (woo hoo!!) for 4 days but after reading all these responses it feels like we would need a month to do it all!!! :tongue_smilie:

It all sounds so great. I don't know how to narrow it down.

Heather, two things no one has mentioned.

Before or after D.C., Monticello is phenomenal! Not to be missed. Your littles can run around on the beautiful mountaintop grounds to their hearts' content, and the clever gadgetry and inventions will fascinate the bigs. There is a visitor center that runs several educational movies.

Also, do you all listen to Voice of America on shortwave at all? Some expats do, depending on their circumstances. You might look into tours of the radio and TV studios. I found it fascinating since I grew up listening to VOA as a kid.

http://www.insidevoa.com/info/voa-studio-tour/2312.html

: )

Thanks so much to everyone who posted in this thread; I'm printing it for my dd who will be spending the summer doing an internship in the area.

(yeah, that's me bustin' buttons....and saying I'm deeply grateful to God for opening the door for her.)

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

I am originally from Michigan but moved to NC then to Malaysia. We are coming home for a 6 week visit this summer.

We are driving to DC (thanks to a rental car discount from Edie AKA Excelsior! Academy) and staying with Mariann (woo hoo!!) for 4 days but after reading all these responses it feels like we would need a month to do it all!!! :tongue_smilie:

It all sounds so great. I don't know how to narrow it down.

Uppermost in my mind is the reality that 4th of july will be here in the blink of an eye!

While you figure out your itinerary, I will get the guest house ready and comfortable. It doesn't have a kitchen (something dh and I plan to change - but not for awhile), so for breakfast, if this works for your family, you are more than welcome to meander on over (probably half a dozen steps) to our house, and help yourselves -- as long as you all are fine with cold cereal, toast, fruit and whatever else your kids eat for breakfast (there is ALWAYS coffee for tired parents ;)), if that works for you, then it might be an easy way for you to get something in them before you all head out.

Between our house and the METRO, there are tons of places that I can list for you.

I even thought of baking at night and having muffins ready for you in a pretty basket in the a.m. And then I got a grip and came to my senses :lol: and remembered that Wegman's will probably have opened their new store by then -- PHEW!-- we will figure it all out -- it will be fun!

Uppermost in my mind is the reality that 4th of july will be here in the blink of an eye!

While you figure out your itinerary, I will get the guest house ready and comfortable. It doesn't have a kitchen (something dh and I plan to change - but not for awhile), so for breakfast, if this works for your family, you are more than welcome to meander on over (probably half a dozen steps) to our house, and help yourselves -- as long as you all are fine with cold cereal, toast, fruit and whatever else your kids eat for breakfast (there is ALWAYS coffee for tired parents ;)), if that works for you, then it might be an easy way for you to get something in them before you all head out.

Between our house and the METRO, there are tons of places that I can list for you.

I even thought of baking at night and having muffins ready for you in a pretty basket in the a.m. And then I got a grip and came to my senses :lol: and remembered that Wegman's will probably have opened their new store by then -- PHEW!-- we will figure it all out -- it will be fun!

:lol::lol::lol: I can't wait to meet you IRL. You are a stitch!

I tell you what... Let me use your kitchen and I will cook for YOU. :D. It is the least I could do! It sounds like you have a wonderful new place!!!

:lol::lol::lol: I can't wait to meet you IRL. You are a stitch!

I tell you what... Let me use your kitchen and I will cook for YOU. :D. It is the least I could do! It sounds like you have a wonderful new place!!!

You're on! :D I'll show you where Wegman's is!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

If dh and i didn't have an entire house to pack TODAY, he and I would be out looking at furniture for the guest house -- we are SO trying to stay focused, on track and keep our priorities straight!

We live about 2 hours from DC and my favorite museum is the Newseum on the mall. It isn't free, but it is was SO. COOL. My 9 year olds loved it, but they are museum kids.

Stay close to a Metro station so you don't have to deal with driving. We walked all the way from the White House, around the monuments, and to several museums in one day.

The American History Museum is another favorite. We could go there again and again.