Menu

Poll: When does your DH anticipate retiring?

At what age does your Dh anticipate retiring? (multiple choices allowed)  

1. 1. At what age does your Dh anticipate retiring? (multiple choices allowed)

• Younger than 62
    • 62-65
    • 66-70
    • Beyond 70
    • He plans to work part time after retirement
    • He will likely work until he can't anymore
    • Other

Well, DH works and I manage the money, so I do the planning for his being able to retire.

Right now I'm targeting that he'll be able to retire at 60 if he wants to, or reduce his workload at that point if he wants to continue working (he loves what he does).

He says he'll probably work until 65, that he's not sure he wants to retire at 60, I just remind him the goal is his ability to retire, not that he has to.

My husband didn't start his career until around age 31, so he has a few more years to put in, but he loves what he does and says that his current plan is to work until around age 65 and then go to part time and work until he can't anymore.

I worked for 16 years in the public school system and retirement was set for me. We had to work until age 62.5 years in order to get the best benefits. I sometimes wonder if I didn't make a mistake to stop working there. I started at 22 years old, right out of college and would have had a very nice retirement at 62.5 years. I could still go back, but it would require moving back to CA, which Dh doesn't want to do.

Dawn

He can retire in 4 years, at 46, but it will depend on his rank and what else he'd like to do whether he does or not. He'll likely hold out for 8 - when the mortgage is paid off - before he moves on to something he does just for the love of it. Definitely before his 60s, though, and I have no doubt he'll do something part time after that.

We worked many years hand to mouth...paycheck to paycheck. We have no investments because there was nothing to invest....and the one retirement account we did have tanked with the economy:glare:

We are going to have to work well into old age...and quite frankly, lately I am very depressed about it. I am worn out...he is worn out, but we keep chugging along for our kids sakes....

We are teaching them better, educating them better, and giving them a better start at the gate than we had. I feel like we started off with broken knees.

This is a sad topic for me:confused:

My dh would be able to retire from the military at 42. He will definitely be stay in until he is about 47(?). He might stay longer, depending upon how things go. He will be 52 if he stays in for 30 years, and he would probably not need to work again. Our kids should be finished with college by then, and it would just be the two of us. He would receive 75% of his pay as retirement, which is really good money. We have talked about starting a small business, working part time...*something* to keep us busy, but that's about it.

I don't think my dh will ever retire. He doesn't have a physically demanding job and likes what he does too much. There may come a time when he'll just choose to have less jobs to work on, but he won't ever stop.

This is my husband. Especially if he get the ability to work from home with his current company. He wants to get his 30 year pin from them. Granted, he's 41 but he comes from a long line of men who made it to 90+. Also, we'd divorce within days if he didn't have something to get him out of the house each day. Or I would go to work somewhere. The man can't.be.still.or.quiet.

My husband already retired from the military with a service-related disability.

His current civil service job has a mandatory retirement age of 56. He doesn't really need the money now, and he certainly won't need it at that point, but he has no desire to sit at home and rot. Or homeschool ;) LOL though I did try! I imagine he'll find some kind of work (even if it's just being the Walmart greeter!) to keep him out in the world until he drops dead. This desire is one I share, and is why I also work outside the home (and will until I'm no longer able). My job has no mandatory retirement age, and we have ten people still working that are in their 70s. One is in her 80s! I can only hope ...

We're in our early-middle 30s, so by 56 our kids will no longer be legal dependents (even accounting for the higher education years). We'll be in excellent financial shape, and in a place to be very generous with our families - most especially our grandkids-to-be. We both hope and should be fine to keep working and afford our kids that extra income so they might be able to have one parent stay home with their own young kids if they so choose (and/or to homeschool them.)

I picked two. He'll probably retire from his official day job around 65. However, he's been involved with investing for about 6 yrs, loves it, and is quite good at it. He'll continue to do that - and it is a full-time job if you want to do it right -after retirement. He also does investing for a few family members...that is stressful. It's not fun to be in charge of someone else's retirement.

Well my husband didn't go into the AF till he was 33. He'll stay in for a full 30, however he'll need a waiver for that last 6 months I think as he'll be over age. But since there are only 6 of them in the AF, he can probably do that. So 63.

He says he wants to travel and relax, but I don't completely buy it. I can see us traveling, but he needs something to do more than just that.

My dh will work until at least 70 and/or he can't work anymore. He is 50 now, and we still have young children (and hopefully one more on the way...I'm newly pregnant). Both his parents worked until after 70 and two of his grandparents lived well into their 90's...so if he follows that trend, he'll still have plenty of years to be retired if he works until 70 or more.

Plus the whole money issue. We have no retirement savings, and it will be many years before we are able to start saving anything. I may start working again when our youngest is grown (but I'll be in my 60's, lol). We have children and yes, we expect that they will help us if/when we need it. Our pastor calls it the "1st century retirement plan". :)

My DH and I have set tentative goals for retirement, but not yet begun saving. he doesn't have a "career" job yet- he just got a job that may turn into a career job. But it entirely depends on certain things, so I don't know. My goal to work towards would be to have him retire at 65. We will have to see whether that is financially feasible or not...

We will retire inn our early to mid 60s from our main jobs (I will be going back to work when dc graduate.) Our last dc will graduate when we are in our mid-40s, so we will have about 20 years to work after that. That should give us a nice retirement fund, and we hope to travel a lot with our dc and grandchildren. I'm sure dh will take interim spots with school districts or consult or write or teach college, and I will likely spend more time volunteering, too.

He will retire around 65 from his current employer if he remains there and we can keep saving at this rate. But, then he'll hobby farm as long as he can. He likes to garden and he'd love to put in a u-pick organic strawberry patch. We may also buy one of the houses in the neighborhood and use it as a rental. We can pick it up for nearly nothing and it needs very little work. We know good, reliable, concientious families that we could rent to and property taxes here are very, very low even on rental income units. So, if we do that, he'll have fix up jobs to do as well.

The only thing that makes retirement feasible is the fact that we will be debt free in 18 months and can then put away a much larger amount of money. My dad, on the other hand, has lost all of the equity in his business, can't sell it because the economy in Michigan is so bad, and therefore can not get any of his investment out of it. He's 68 and still working 80 hrs. per week. He'll end up dying of exhaustion before the market recovers enough to get out of it and he will have lost so much even then, that they'll have a very small amount of money left.

Faith

My husband is Active Duty Air Force and plans to be retiring within the next few years. He has 25 years in already. Then he will go to work again but now as a civilian. I have no idea when he will retire from that. He loves physics and will want to do it forever. HOwever, I can see him transitioning to volunteering then too. Just like I will do when my children all have graduated and not need me-volunteering. Now I thought I was closer to that but right now my middle has a yet undiagnosed serious problem so who knows?