Menu

Anyone else get ridiculously excited when they see someone responded to their post,

I guess that is better than seeing dozens of people have viewed your thread, and not bothered to post. :001_huh: Sometimes I'll post just a smilie in order to bump a thread for someone.

I start wonder when I post a thread that 60+ people view and no one responds. I always try to give my threads detailed titles so only interested people will open the thread.

For example I had a thread called, "Librivox question" Not interesting at all, but I was hoping that someone very familiar with Librivox would open it and respond. Instead 67 people open and no one responds. It made me feel bad that I wasted the time of 67 people - since I'm sure no one found that thread interesting in the least. So if you were one of those people, please accept my apologies.

No, because no one ever actually responds to my posts.

What are you talking about? With the exception of one WTB someone responded to every thread you started this year.

(... Julie Smith now falls asleep tired from searching for and responding to several threads started by Stripe this year)

No, but I've been killing threads left and right the last couple of weeks and I'm starting to feel a little self-conscious about that. :001_huh:

(Let me apologize in advance if I kill this one off too. Sorry.)

Now I have a urge to unkill all threads you have recently killed.

Must resist urge, must go to bed.

I start wonder when I post a thread that 60+ people view and no one responds. I always try to give my threads detailed titles so only interested people will open the thread.

For example I had a thread called, "Librivox question" Not interesting at all, but I was hoping that someone very familiar with Librivox would open it and respond. Instead 67 people open and no one responds. It made me feel bad that I wasted the time of 67 people - since I'm sure no one found that thread interesting in the least. So if you were one of those people, please accept my apologies.

I was one of those 67. I thought "I know Librivox. Maybe I can answer this." But then I read it and said "Nope. Not a clue. I hope someone else has the answer."

Was it the thread where you ask how to thank a reader? Well that was very useful to me (I know that you liked that reader, so I can look out for titles read by him in the future. Knowing how to thank a reader is also info good to have). I did not have anything to contribute to that thread. It is good information that I will probably come back to later. The whole forum is chock full of threads which I come back to again and again. I always see anything I post as information that I am putting "out there" for someone somewhere to see and use...and there are plenty of such people I am sure.

Any of those responses gives me a free bump!

When I see these, I just think:

:bigear: = I have nothing to say, but I'm interested in what others have to say.

:lurk5: = I'm listening, but not talking. See, sort of interested, but in a non-committal kind of way. Oh, yeah....forgot this is lurking. :D

:lol: = You're nuts! or This drives me nuts too!

:iagree: = What she/he said and I'm just too busy/lazy/tired to say anything else.

:001_smile: = Your post makes me soooooo happy! (Hey, that's gotta count for something don't you think?)

All joking aside, I'm kinda sensitive too when there have been 103 viewers and no one responds. It really HURTS. MY. FEELINGS. :svengo:

~ Lucinda

I was one of those 67. I thought "I know Librivox. Maybe I can answer this." But then I read it and said "Nope. Not a clue. I hope someone else has the answer."

Was it the thread where you ask how to thank a reader? Well that was very useful to me (I know that you liked that reader, so I can look out for titles read by him in the future. Knowing how to thank a reader is also info good to have). I did not have anything to contribute to that thread. It is good information that I will probably come back to later. The whole forum is chock full of threads which I come back to again and again. I always see anything I post as information that I am putting "out there" for someone somewhere to see and use...and there are plenty of such people I am sure.

:) Now I'm happy that some of those 67 found my post useful and not a waste of time.

Any of those responses gives me a free bump!

When I see these, I just think:

:bigear: = I have nothing to say, but I'm interested in what others have to say.

:lurk5: = I'm listening, but not talking. See, sort of interested, but in a non-committal kind of way. Oh, yeah....forgot this is lurking. :D

:lol: = You're nuts! or This drives me nuts too!

:iagree: = What she/he said and I'm just too busy/lazy/tired to say anything else.

:001_smile: = Your post makes me soooooo happy! (Hey, that's gotta count for something don't you think?)

All joking aside, I'm kinda sensitive too when there have been 103 viewers and no one responds. It really HURTS. MY. FEELINGS. :svengo:

~ Lucinda

:iagree:I kinda freaked out on my first post ever on here where I got a lot of views but NO responses. I was in panic mode, so that didn't help either. I got some comments that put me in my place, and I didn't post or make a new thread for a while after wise. But I'm over it now, and am much more patient.

Resist!

I will resist the urge to bring all the threads you killed to life, even though it would make a good tv show.

First there was, "The Walking Dead" now there is,...

(Building Suspense)

"The Walking Threads"

--If anyone knows of a easy way to find all the threads MamaSheep killed please PM me, I want to bring them back to life. :D

On a related note, don't you feel irritated when you take the time to add a comment and put some thought and care into it, but then no one even responds to you at all and keeps conversing with others, acting as though you're not even there? Clearly, thread etiquette is not the same as personal conversations, yet I still find it irritating at times. (Not here on this thread....just sayin'.)

Lucinda

I just finished reading this thread, and I have a question.

If you start a new thread, would you prefer to have people respond with, "I don't know," or some other polite-but-non-helpful comment, rather than clicking on to the next thread without posting anything at all?

I know I read a lot of threads, and if I don't have any info for the OP, I usually just move on to something else. But now I'm wondering if I have been rude, and if I should have posted something to let the OP know that I did notice and pay attention to the thread, but I just didn't have an answer to whatever question she posted.

I don't like it that people are feeling sad about this. :(

On a related note, don't you feel irritated when you take the time to add a comment and put some thought and care into it, but then no one even responds to you at all and keeps conversing with others, acting as though you're not even there? Clearly, thread etiquette is not the same as personal conversations, yet I still find it irritating at times. (Not here on this thread....just sayin'.)

Lucinda

:iagree:This bothers me more than the smilies. And then, later, when someone responds to another of my posts in another thread, I think, "Whew! Guess my thoughts do count for something!" Ridiculous, but true.

I just finished reading this thread, and I have a question.

If you start a new thread, would you prefer to have people respond with, "I don't know," or some other polite-but-non-helpful comment, rather than clicking on to the next thread without posting anything at all?

I know I read a lot of threads, and if I don't have any info for the OP, I usually just move on to something else. But now I'm wondering if I have been rude, and if I should have posted something to let the OP know that I did notice and pay attention to the thread, but I just didn't have an answer to whatever question she posted.

I don't like it that people are feeling sad about this. :(

This is how I am:

Page 1-2? Meh, feel free to move on to the next thread.

Page 4-5+, with no real answer? I'd love a polite-but-nonhelpful-comment to bump me back to the front pages where hopefully someone has just arrived, ready to tackle my question!

I operate under the assumption that everyone else is equally enlightened and feels the same way I do :lol: so when I see a post on the first few pages that I can't help with I just leave it alone. If it's on the 4th+ page, I'll post a non-helpful comment to bump it up where someone who CAN help will hopefully see it.

Lucinda

Oh, this happens to me often. Not just on the internets, either LOL.

I start humming

to myself, and move along :D.

I do think it's the nature of a group, though, when some are chattier than others and tend to form deeper 'relationships' with each other. Every SIL I've had (and there have been several) has made the same observation during the early months of 'breaking into' our family.

It's a familiarity thing more than it is an exclusionary thing :grouphug: hurtful and rude all the same, but maybe not in a malicious or intentional way.

Lucinda

:lol::lol: I just had this thought about a different forum I was on. And then someone else two pages later said the same thing I did, and she/he got all the responses and quoted bits and the thank yous. And yes, I felt all emo about it. And wanted to quote myself and be like, SEE SEE, I SAID THAT TWO PAGES BACK AND Y'ALL IGNORED ME. BUT BECAUSE BOB SAID IT, IT MUST BE TALKED ABOUT.

Okay, so maybe I'm still a little irked about it!

:lol::lol: I just had this thought about a different forum I was on. And then someone else two pages later said the same thing I did, and she/he got all the responses and quoted bits and the thank yous. And yes, I felt all emo about it. And wanted to quote myself and be like, SEE SEE, I SAID THAT TWO PAGES BACK AND Y'ALL IGNORED ME. BUT BECAUSE BOB SAID IT, IT MUST BE TALKED ABOUT.

Okay, so maybe I'm still a little irked about it!

I think that happens a lot when people don't read the entire thread before responding. If there are several pages in a thread, sometimes people will read the original post, and then skip to the last page and read only that before posting a response. So if your comment is on page 1 or 2 of a 6-page thread, many people may have honestly missed it, and responded to a different person who posted the idea closer to the end of the thread.