Menu

Affect vs. Effect - A bit of grammer for today

Guest khorlith

Guest khorlith

Re-posted from: http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeschooling/2011/10/mean-ol-schoolmarm-reminder/

The Mean Ol’ Schoolmarm Moment of the day is…

Affect vs. Effect

Affect: Verb. To have influence on. To have an effect on.

Effect: Noun. A change that is a result or consequence of a cause.

These two words are commonly swapped incorrectly.

SENTENCES

Correct: The cloudy weather continued to negatively affect her mood.

Incorrect: The cloudy weather continued to negatively effect her mood.

Correct: Serious addiction can leave a lasting effect on one’s friends and family.

Incorrect: Serious addiction can leave a lasting affect on one’s friends and family.

(Note that while “affect†can be used as a noun (usually in psychology) and “effect†can be used as a verb (as in “we wanted to effect [bring about] changeâ€) for the purposes of this lesson, we’re dealing with “affect†as a verb and “effect†as a noun.)

Affect = VERB: The chaps affected me deeply.

Effect = NOUN: The chaps left a lasting effect.

Until Next Time,

The Mean Ol’ Schoolmarm

:D

On a similarly random note - at (some) churches, there is an ALTAR at the front.

Sometimes, I have heard a pastor (several times, actually) say that they call it the 'Alter' because that's where lives are altered.

:glare:

No, they don't.

Likewise, the CAVALRY rides in to save your butt (hence, the nickname Cav). CALVARY is the word associated with the crucifixion of Christ. Two different things.

I started off feeling kind of embarrassed because I am sure I make the mistake of mixing those two words up.

I feel better now. :D

Not as embarrassed as I felt when I mixed up tentacle and testicle, I am sure. When talking about eating one. When I was about eight.

What's hilarious? :confused: I actually took a mild bit of offense at the reference to "using" the deity Vinegar, presumably by self-interested prayers regarding the dishes.

I thought it was hilarious someone would post three times in a year, and about those things ( inc this thread).

I'm thinking his wife, however, doesn't mind. Probably Vinegar doesn't either.

Likewise, the CAVALRY rides in to save your butt (hence, the nickname Cav). CALVARY is the word associated with the crucifixion of Christ. Two different things.

I'm always amazed at how they get used interchangeably.

My orchestra director loved to point that out when we played the "Light Cavalry Overture" by Franz von Suppé.

Love the Kelsey Grammer/Grammar/Grammy. :lol:

On a similarly random note - at (some) churches, there is an ALTAR at the front.

Sometimes, I have heard a pastor (several times, actually) say that they call it the 'Alter' because that's where lives are altered.

No, they don't.

And, going back to a recent thread, THIS my friends is why Pastors need advanced education. :glare:

I think I would actually leave a church if someone preached that. :auto:

Then there's prostate and prostrate. The hymn (All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name) says "When angels prostrate fall" not the alternative. . .

Well, I accidentally read the word "organism" as "orgasm" when we were taking turns reading aloud in my high school science class.

Lisa

The previous two posts by this member are pretty hilarious, by the way.

:lol: I hope the OP isn't scared away! I love the image of the windshield shattering and the need for plastic cups.

I thought it was hilarious someone would post three times in a year, and about those things ( inc this thread).

I'm thinking his wife, however, doesn't mind. Probably Vinegar doesn't either.

Well I can explain it all.

My husband hears about this board. He was at work a few days ago and someone tweeted, or linked him to the OP. he thought the board would appreciate it, so posted.

A bit of spelling for today: Grammar, not grammer.

:D

ds abscounded with one of dd's classic's dept T-shirts and wore it to middle school. the dept motto? "Grammar, whom cares?" ds was told by his english teacher "grammar" was spelled wrong :lol:.

(and another son had an english teacher accuse him of plagerisim on a paper claiming teens don't use that vocabulary. considering even I could pick up on her *basic* lexicographical errors (iow: they were glaring), she wasn't one to speak with any credibility on the subject.)

Well I can explain it all.

My husband hears about this board. He was at work a few days ago and someone tweeted, or linked him to the OP. he thought the board would appreciate it, so posted.

So khorlith is your husband and you're the singer of the family?