Menu

Great mystery/thriller novels?

I'm interested in reading a great mystery/thriller novel ... which is interesting because it has never been my thing in the past.

Nothing TOO gory or completely full of sex. I want something suspenseful, something edge-of-your-seat but not horror.

Murder mystery is ok, political thriller is ok. I just have no experience in this area and I have no idea where to start.

Suggestions??

The Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. You must start with the first one, Killing Floor, but other than that, the order does not particularly matter. I have gotten many, many people, both men and women, hooked on this series. I buy the books the day they are issued in hardback. That is not normal for me.

Also, I recently read Nemesis, a Harry Hole (he is Norwegian--I doubt that is pronounced the way it looks, but I digress...) mystery. It was slow to get going, but once it did, I was on the edge of my seat. I am not a fan of the Hornet's Nest/Dragon Tattoo series, or some of the other Scandanavian fiction that is so popular right now, but this one completely sucked me in.

Like you, I am not normally a mystery/detective fiction fan, but these are very much the exceptions.

Terri

Does it have to be a modern mystery? I'm just thinking, if you've never read in the mystery genre before, it might be best to read ones that are really written well, and a lot of those are a little older. If you just go to the bookstore and pick something off the shelf, chances are you'll get something rather formulaic. My husband says Rita Mae Brown is a good writer, but I thought she was just mediocre.

Dorothy Sayers wrote wonderful mysteries. I'd start with Whose Body?

Agatha Christie is of course always good, and you can pick up several for free if you have an e-book.

Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books are also good.

Have you read the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters? They're a lot of fun! Amelia is a Victorianish lady archeologist (there's a bit of a time warp after the first few books, but it doesn't affect the enjoyableness of the series, just allows it to cover WW1 and King Tut's Tomb).

The Cat Who series by Lilian Jackson Braun.

This is one of my favorite series and one I'm working through again right now. I always recommend it but I do warn these are light books. I usually read them in about 3 or 4 hours. That's one reason I like them. The stories are good. They are especially good if you like cats. The books do not center around the cats and it's not like they interact in a meaningful way, i.e. they aren't supernatural beings that talk or anything. The main character Quill owns 2 Siamese cats and he feels that one of them gives him clues about things by yowling at certain times, reacting to certain people, and knocking books off a shelf. I consider them cozy mysteries, but I don't know if that would be an official genre.

I've enjoyed the Sue Grafton's alphabet series. They aren't cozy mysteries.

Anne Perry has 2 detective series set in the 1800s, Monk and Pitt; I like both. Clive Cussler has a detective series (Isaac Bell) set in the early 1900s and also a modern series (Dirk Pitt) that are both good.

I like James Patterson, Tom Clancy and Robert Ludlam, too, but they may be more intense than you're looking for.

A mystery that came about about ten years ago or so that I love is the Ice House by Minette Walters. Great book. There are some crude references and some mention of sex but I'm a total prude and it didn't bother me.

An even older book that is fantastic is The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. Mystery, suspense, beautiful people, bad guys, secret societies. Couldn't put it down. Don't plan on reading it at night if you need to get up early because you'll be up all night reading it.

I like the Kellerman novels. Jonathan Kellerman and Faye Kellerman. Two different series of murder mysteries. I like them because they involve the same main characters. In Jonathan's it's a detective and a psychologist. In Faye's its a cop and his wife. Give them a try.

I really enjoyed this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Kill-Alan-Gregory-Stephen-White/dp/0451220714/ref=tmm_mmp_title_0

I admit that the description doesn't make it sound very good, but it's one of my top picks for suspense.

I also like Sue Grafton's books, and I love that there's a long series so that if you decide you like it, there are lots more books in the series.

I have read every one of Mary Higgins Clark's books. I also enjoy John Grisham. Laura Child's "tea" series and scrap book series are good as well. Don't read them if you are hungry though. She includes recipes that are wonderful and full of butter... Rhys Bowen is good as well. I have read her Royal Spyness Series and her Molly oh good grief I have forgotten the girls last name. It is a woman detective in the early 1900's.

Thanks for starting this thread. I am always looking for new books to read!

Another vote for Dorothy Sayers. I also really like Julia Spencer-Fleming but I know some people would have problems with them (there is some emotional if not sexual adultery). Julie Hyzy also has some books that although I thought the actual writing craft was poor for some reason I gobbled up several of her books in just a few days earlier in the year.