Menu

When does your "school year" end?

I see a lot of people gearing up for next year already, when we are just a bit over half way done (about day 99 out of 180). We started Sept. 1st. I'm planning to end the second week of June if I can get away with it (that is one week later than the public school that the neighborhood kids go to, so it may not work out). :D

So when is your last day of the school year?

Technically, for the state, we end the end of May (30, 31, whenever I schedule our evaluation). In reality we are done when the curricula is finished. For AP classes, this is with the AP test in early May. For subjects we've dawdled with, it could be the middle of June.

I care more about finishing content than any particular time frame, but, since our state wants 180 days, we're done in May.

Our year ends in the last week of May.

We've always started buying for next year about this time. Hardly anything I buy is open and go, I write lessons plans for a few subjects merging books and resources. I also read ahead a lot of material, especially as we're moving into high school next year.

We will finish 99% of our school by the end of May.

My son broke his wrist and we are still 3 weeks away before he can write again so English has been put on hold. If we have to will continue with English into June.

We take June/July off except for reading, some light math review and latin review then pick up again August 1st.

We're usually done somewhere between the last week in May, and the first two weeks in June. But we don't really take a summer vacation...more like a few weeks. I use the summer for unit studies, which I don't count as far as the grade year's days of school, but are still school for us.

This year, however, I have no idea. It depends how much time I need to take to recover after the baby is born, (by c-section). I've never homeschooled with a newborn before, so I'm not sure what to expect!

I think that we'll probably continue to school (albeit lightly) over the summer, but officially I follow the academic school year of the local school system. They start in August and end in May.

I'm under the impression that the reason you're hearing so much on the boards right now about planning/buying for next year (at least those families in the US) is that it's tax season. Many families use their refund to purchase curricula and books, so the season for that is NOW. Also, it seems like this is the time of year that some of the big homeschooling conferences and conventions are held so that's another opportunity for making purchases.

We stop at Memorial Day and start up again right after Independence Day -- that basically means we take off the month of June and a handful of extra days. We'll be at the required 180 days at the end of March, but I probably won't turn my portfolio in until mid-May. The second half of May is really light for us because I won't start any new curriculum late in the year, so we will be "done" with several subjects as our school year winds down.

Our school year officially ends April 30, which also, conveniently, is when the Spring dance recital/cheer competition season starts, so it's a good time for a break. We'll school lightly while the PS is out for the summer, using a lot of those $1 Scholastic e-books that I usually forget I have (maybe on the iPad, if I have it by then), do a lot of carschooling for memory work leading into next year, with the Cycle 1 CC cd, Lyrical Earth Science, LfC B, and so on, and go to the library frequently, and then, when PS goes back, start our fall semester, which is when we'll start History, Science, the next Cambridge Latin book, and anything else I can manage to hold back.

My year ends when I reach that magic number 172 days of school. Right now I'm 119 or something like that (my calendar is downstairs). I don't buy anything for next year until after the school year has ended and I've had time to do an evaluation of how the current year went. I do start thinking about halfway through the year about what I'd change for the next year, but I don't make any firm plans until summer.

End of June.

We take a few weeks off in July for dh's vacation and then start back up by the beginning of August.

I start planning the following year in January, though. I like to do my semi-final decision making in March (for the older girls,) so that I am ready for conventions in the spring (where I will look at materials and grill their authors/publishers :D) and registering for programs for the following year. By May, I have made my purchases and am scheduling/lesson planning.